ADVERTISEMENT

Field of 68 gives us a D+ for Offseason Grade (LOL)

They didn’t lose to Florida lol. Also went 25-6 and won the SEC by 3 games. But because they had a bad loss early in the season they had no chance at a FF? No team is certain to make a FF ever no matter how good they are. But that team certainly had an excellent shot of making a run. Certain people on this board including you have a narrative to maintain.
Yep. You’re right. I went back and looked at the schedule from that year and misread it. They actually lost to 17-13 UT. They would go on to beat 19-12 Florida by 1 point in their last game. Those were the last two games before the, eventually cancelled, SEC tournament. Yeah, they were really on a hot streak 🙄

I don’t have a narrative. I’m just a guy with a different opinion than you. There isn’t some grand conspiracy going on here by those like myself to piss you off.

And you sound looney by suggesting there is such a narrative/conspiracy over something as trivial as a college basketball message board.

• Haha
Reactions: jameslee32
Yep. You’re right. I went back and looked at the schedule from that year and misread it. They actually lost to 17-13 UT. They would go on to beat 19-12 Florida by 1 point in their last game. Those were the last two games before the, eventually cancelled, SEC tournament. Yeah, they were really on a hot streak 🙄

I don’t have a narrative. I’m just a guy with a different opinion than you. There isn’t some grand conspiracy going on here by those like myself to piss you off.

And you sound looney by suggesting there is such a narrative/conspiracy over something as trivial as a college basketball message board.
They won 9 of their last 10 to finish the season. But you focus on the one loss and downplay everything else. That’s the narrative I’m talking about.

They won 9 of their last 10 to finish the season. But you focus on the one loss and downplay everything else. That’s the narrative I’m talking about.
Yeah and you’re still looney for thinking there’s some grand narrative being formed just piss people off. You are literally crazy for believing that. But you do you.

And the last loss they had was to a terrible UT team and the next game they barely beat a terrible UF team. You believe what you want but the evidence, contrary to your beliefs, is against you.

Btw, the other posters and I just spoke and the newest edition of our narrative is actually being published

I'd give us a B. Reeves was expected to return in the Spring. We got him back, but it felt like we weren't prepared "for the test."

Mitchell is the equivalent of someone feeding us the answers on test day.

B.

The Canada trip takes us from a C+ to a solid B.

I'd say a B+. If they add this center it bumps to an A-.

It looked like a D+ and yeah there has been some good fortune in getting a guy like Mitchell to fall in your lap. Doesn't matter though...it counts.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I just don’t see where people can imagine that team pulling off a run. That wasn’t a good year for us. And even during the stretch where people said we were turning it around we stumbled and lost to Florida.

I really think time passing by, and worse seasons happening afterwards, is really putting a false positive light on that season.

To each their own, but if Cal can’t win a title with 2015 and can’t even get to the FF with 2010 he definitely ain’t getting to a FF with Maxey, IQ, and Richards. Even moreso given the chemistry issues at the lead guard spot.
We went 25-6 and 15-3 and won the SEC. We finished 8th in the final AP poll. That’s a solid year and a team that could make a run. I don’t know where you are getting this it was a bad year from. We also didn’t stumble and lose to Florida, We won on a Keion Brooks basket in regulation. As far as close games go, SEC road games are always tight. John Wall’s team even won many games by a couple points, and only beat Miami (OH) on a last second jumper by him. They are universally regarded as an amazing team with one off night.

Last edited:
They didn’t lose to Florida lol. Also went 25-6 and won the SEC by 3 games. But because they had a bad loss early in the season they had no chance at a FF? No team is certain to make a FF ever no matter how good they are. But that team certainly had an excellent shot of making a run. Certain people on this board including you have a narrative to maintain.
I don’t agree with him maintaining a narrative he’s not a poster like that.

I like you man, but I have plenty of doubt. Chemistry issues in the locker room always carry out to the floor as well.

I just can’t be convinced that a team with broken chemistry rooted in its floor general that lost to evansville at home (when there were presumably no issues) was going to go to the FF. And there is absolutely nothing to suggest that Hagans was just gonna all of sudden be ok and his teammates and coaches were gonna all of sudden be ok with his antics like nothing ever happened.

And I’m not the one with the hot take on this. Anyone who thinks that team would make a FF are the ones with hot takes.
There is video where they were ALL joking around with each other, with Hagans in the middle, in Nashville at the SEC tournament before it was cancelled. I'm pretty sure they won the SEC by 3 games. I could be

If you've got great guard players, which we had in spades, excellent free throw shooting, and a really good big man you've got a great chance to do some damage. It's all speculation obviously.

We went 25-6 and 15-3 and won the SEC. We finished 8th in the final AP poll. That’s a solid year and a team that could make a run. I don’t know where you are getting this it was a bad year from. We also didn’t stumble and lose to Florida, We won on a Keion Brooks basket in regulation. As far as close games go SEC road games are always tight and John Wall’s team even won many games but a couple points and only beat Miami (OH) on a last second jumper by him. They are universally regarded as an amazing team with one off night.
And that Florida game, without Hagans, we were down 18 with 9 minutes to go. It showed the fight that team had. Keion def made a great play.

We went 25-6 and 15-3 and won the SEC. We finished 8th in the final AP poll. That’s a solid year and a team that could make a run. I don’t know where you are getting this it was a bad year from. We also didn’t stumble and lose to Florida, We won on a Keion Brooks basket in regulation. As far as close games go SEC road games are always tight and John Wall’s team even won many games but a couple points and only beat Miami (OH) on a last second jumper by him. They are universally regarded as an amazing team with one off night.
Yeah I mis read the schedule. We did beat 19-12 Florida. By 1 point. The loss I saw was to 17-13 UT the game prior to the 1 point victory over the gators.

What I saw was a team that peaked in February and started stumbling going in to March. Couple the stumbling with the news of our starting PG and I just don’t see that team going on run. If he couldn’t do it with Wall, Bledsoe, Patterson, and Cousins I just don’t see him doing it with Maxey, IQ, Richards, and head case Hagans. I just don’t see how they don’t have an off night given the chemistry issues when the more talented, and more tight knit, Wall led team couldn’t get it done.

We did well in the SEC but looking back it appears Auburn was the only other top 25 team in the league and we split with them. As for the OOC schedule we played an extremely weak OOC schedule. The only ranked teams we played were Ohio St and UL. We beat UL and lost to Ohio St. I’m just not impressed with their resume for that year and believe their record to be inflated by cupcakes and a down year for the SEC.

I’m denying the possibility they could go on a run like my personal conspiracy theorist believes, I just don’t like their odds. They had less talent and less cohesion than other UK teams that couldn’t make a run so I don’t see where the confidence comes from.

If we all had to put money on that team back then I don’t think there are many here that would (at least not a substantial amount of money). I certainly wouldn’t, and outside of Hagans that was a team that I really grew to like.

There is video where they were ALL joking around with each other, with Hagans in the middle, in Nashville at the SEC tournament before it was cancelled. I'm pretty sure they won the SEC by 3 games. I could be

If you've got great guard players, which we had in spades, excellent free throw shooting, and a really good big man you've got a great chance to do some damage. It's all speculation obviously.
If they hadn’t stumbled against UT and UF (they did not lose to UF but they only by 1) then I’d be right there with y’all. But the loss to 17-13 UT and near loss to 19-12 UF doesn’t give me confidence.

UK media also swore Wheeler was happy as could be last season so I don’t trust them.

They could have possibly made a run. But I don’t find it probable.

Don't think I'll even bother watching this one tomorrow. Pretty sure this will be Goodman just looking for clicks.

Goodman is such a hater, we don’t have depth? What’s he talking about?

Reeves is absolutely getting 16+ a game. He acts like Wagner isn’t a stud. Edwards and Bradshaw he likes. Mitchell he likes. Sheppard he realizes he has to play. I think our 9,10 type spot guys on the roster have the talent to play and contribute.

We may end up not being world beaters but I like this roster and the potential of it especially with todays commitment and UGO/Bradshaw healthy.

We have 2 guys in Mitchell and Reeves who we know will get 12-16 points a night. Wagner/Sheppard/Edwards/Bradshaw can get 10+ a game. Dillingham is gonna get some off the bench and put up assists. Adou is looking really good. The new Croatian looks like he’s a legit talent. We have a really solid team now.

Goodman is such a hater, we don’t have depth? What’s he talking about?

Reeves is absolutely getting 16+ a game. He acts like Wagner isn’t a stud. Edwards and Bradshaw he likes. Mitchell he likes. Sheppard he realizes he has to play. I think our 9,10 type spot guys on the roster have the talent to play and contribute.

We may end up not being world beaters but I like this roster and the potential of it especially with todays commitment and UGO/Bradshaw healthy.

We have 2 guys in Mitchell and Reeves who we know will get 12-16 points a night. Wagner/Sheppard/Edwards/Bradshaw can get 10+ a game. Dillingham is gonna get some off the bench and put up assists. Adou is looking really good. The new Croatian looks like he’s a legit talent. We have a really solid team now.
I LOVE this roster. Could be our most complete team since at least 2019.

Reactions: University-6
I put about as much stock in Goodman's predictions as I do that chicken that picks Super Bowl winners. In fact, that chicken is right WAY more often and I'm pretty sure graduated ahead of Goodman in college. But alas, Goodman can type.

These dudes, Goodman especially, are a bunch of hacks. It's slow season for them. They're going for shock value so you'll engage with them and give them views. Don't do it.

I think I'm a pretty objective dude. 2-3 months ago, I was disgusted with Cal.

Now, I question what the guy could have done better.

Goodman was running victory laps over us losing Reeves. We got Reeves back.

Dillingham supposedly wasn't going to come--we got him here.

Bradshaw was being pushed to USC---we kept him.

Ugo entered the transfer portal. We brought him back.

We needed big depth. We got a good, experienced, stretch 4. We went and got a modern 5 that can hit 3's and blocks shots.

We added Burks and Hart.

There are teams that did a lot less than us. Did he give out a lot of F's?

He actually (once again) says that us getting DJ Wagner was a negative. Says Wagner needs the ball too much, and he should have gone to Louisville where he would have been the man.

Don't tell me you're not biased.

2020 may not have won it all but had Hagans gotten his head out of his ass at the end of the year, they could have made the final four easily. I feel like Richards, IQ, and Maxey especially were made for March basketball. Good shooting team, great at FT’s, and Richards was a force by then.
“Nick Richards was made for March basketball” is not something I thought I’d read today.

😂 Just messin with you Fox.

Goodman is the absolute worst, his hatred of Calipari hinders his job performance. No idea how the guy continues to justify the crap he puts out with regards to UK. Quit following him a long time ago

I just don’t see where people can imagine that team pulling off a run. That wasn’t a good year for us. And even during the stretch where people said we were turning it around we stumbled and lost to Florida.

I really think time passing by, and worse seasons happening afterwards, is really putting a false positive light on that season.

To each their own, but if Cal can’t win a title with 2015 and can’t even get to the FF with 2010 he definitely ain’t getting to a FF with Maxey, IQ, and Richards. Even moreso given the chemistry issues at the lead guard spot.
Are you effing kidding? You must have a shite memory. IQ was playing like THE best guard in the country down the stretch.

Was there a certain incident between Cal and Goodman years ago? I know Cal says what he wants to the media regardless of the question asked but surely that can’t be it? It seems like the hate goes beyond Cal, I just don’t know what Kentucky ever did for him to hate us lol.

Goodman also said both Kentucky and Louisville would have been better off if DJ Wagner went to Louisville.

Clown show.

Goodman actually gave us a C- the other dude gave us a D+. Did anyone even watch the whole thing? They did have some good points, yes Cal got extremely lucky with Mitchell and Reeves. But I'd give us a B+ all things considering.

Funny how our four McDonalds AAs + Dilly don’t count in this “off-season grade”. I get it, but that still should somehow factor into the equation somewhere. It’s damn near half the roster. 😆
Agreed Cowtown, you would think any off-season grade would begin with an evaluation of the incoming recruiting class. It makes no sense not to include them. Maybe this equation is an antiquated one, formulated back in the 80s and 90s before freshman made the kind of impact as they often do today. Back then, freshmen weren't nearly as important.

I think this is a matter of fishing for hits as much as anything else. Clearly, as of today (and not even including Ivisic, which raises the grade even more) this is not a D- off-season. But there's nothing that will generate hits like making UK fans angry. 🤣

Goodman actually gave us a C- the other dude gave us a D+. Did anyone even watch the whole thing? They did have some good points, yes Cal got extremely lucky with Mitchell and Reeves. But I'd give us a B+ all things considering.
Why does luck have anything at all to do with an offseason grade?

We "lucked" out on having Huggins fired, therefore getting Mitchell. According to them.
That's true. But dem's facts that we have those dudes right now. Goodman and the other dude acting like we don't and giving us such an awful appraisal is just dumb. It makes them look even less knowledgeable than they are.

Reactions: gharding07
feminism GIF

Not even going to watch that but thumbnail indicates Uk does not have a star player. Fairly certain DJWjr is a star player and Edwards could be one as well. A ton of projected first rounders on the team but we don’t have a star?

Goodman is such a loser who is usually so far off base. How coukd fans, even non UK fans, take him seriously? Not giving him any clicks either, guy should have been out of work long ago.

We went 25-6 and 15-3 and won the SEC. We finished 8th in the final AP poll. That’s a solid year and a team that could make a run. I don’t know where you are getting this it was a bad year from. We also didn’t stumble and lose to Florida, We won on a Keion Brooks basket in regulation. As far as close games go, SEC road games are always tight. John Wall’s team even won many games by a couple points, and only beat Miami (OH) on a last second jumper by him. They are universally regarded as an amazing team with one off night.
But, but, but..we lost the Evansville in Nov. 😆

That out weighs winning the SEC by 3 games.

You gotta learn the CHC language.

Everything bad is Cal’s fault. Everything good is in spite of Cal.

2020 may not have won it all but had Hagans gotten his head out of his ass at the end of the year, they could have made the final four easily. I feel like Richards, IQ, and Maxey especially were made for March basketball. Good shooting team, great at FT’s, and Richards was a force by then.
Not as the 5 seed we were getting

Yep, you nailed it.

Anyone with half a brain would have given UK a D+ mid-June. It was looking like a train wreck. Yet, the same person, still thinking and paying attention, would have to change that grade at this point.

1. Reeves came back.
2. Mitchell came as grad.
3. Freshman class has shown themselves as legit. Even a guy like Jordan Burks, who wasn't expected to do much, showed he can contribute. And the stars look the part.
4. A guy like Adou Thiero appears ready to take the next step and contribute.
5. The addition of John Welch has already appeared to pay dividends.

Bottom line: clearly, the grade is better than a D-. I wouldn't call it an A+ but it's better than a D-
Yet we still have a known liability on the bench....makes about $9m a year.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT