ADVERTISEMENT

Field of 68 gives us a D+ for Offseason Grade (LOL)

Yep. You’re right. I went back and looked at the schedule from that year and misread it. They actually lost to 17-13 UT. They would go on to beat 19-12 Florida by 1 point in their last game. Those were the last two games before the, eventually cancelled, SEC tournament. Yeah, they were really on a hot streak 🙄
I don’t have a narrative. I’m just a guy with a different opinion than you. There isn’t some grand conspiracy going on here by those like myself to piss you off.

And you sound looney by suggesting there is such a narrative/conspiracy over something as trivial as a college basketball message board.
just fyi, your opinion is pretty awful.

Yep. You’re right. I went back and looked at the schedule from that year and misread it. They actually lost to 17-13 UT. They would go on to beat 19-12 Florida by 1 point in their last game. Those were the last two games before the, eventually cancelled, SEC tournament. Yeah, they were really on a hot streak 🙄

just fyi, your opinion is pretty awful.
Lol I didn’t ask for your take on it. But thanks for the feedback I guess.

Some of you make it very clear you talk to people on the internet because people irl don’t like talking to you.

Funny how our four McDonalds AAs + Dilly don’t count in this “off-season grade”. I get it, but that still should somehow factor into the equation somewhere. It’s damn near half the roster. 😆

Yep, so just to be clear these were out "trades" if you will...

-Wallace, +Wagner
-Wheeler, +Dillingham
-CJ, +Shep, Hart
-Livingston, +Edwards
-Toppin, +Mitchell
-Oscar, +Bradshaw
-Ware, +Ivisic
-Collins, +Burks
Return= Thiero, Reeves, Ugo

For the purpose of the program we have 12 guys and most importantly on paper you can see a major style shift....added a player dev/offensive guru + a proven high level recruiter to staff.

I dunno...maybe it is just me drinking blue Kool-Aid but this seems to be a pretty damn good job of addressing some issues of the past.

Yep, so just to be clear these were out "trades" if you will...

-Wallace, +Wagner better
-Wheeler, +Dillingham better
-CJ, +Shep, Hart better
-Livingston, +Edwards better
-Toppin, +Mitchell better
-Oscar, +Bradshaw wash (primarily due to team chemistry and our offense and defense being hogtied because of Oscar's inefficiencies)
-Ware, +Ivisic better
-Collins, +Burks wash
Return= Thiero, Reeves, Ugo better

For the purpose of the program we have 12 guys and most importantly on paper you can see a major style shift....added a player dev/offensive guru + a proven high level recruiter to staff.

I dunno...maybe it is just me drinking blue Kool-Aid but this seems to be a pretty damn good job of addressing some issues of the past.
If you are grading based on the off season you have to consider, position by position, if the team got better or worse. In my opinion UK got better whether drastically or slightly in 7 positions, a wash in 2, better in coaching and didn't get worse at any position. So to give UK a D+ is just showing hate. Surely those clowns aren't even that inept.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
If you are grading based on the off season you have to consider, position by position, if the team got better or worse. In my opinion UK got better whether drastically or slightly in 7 positions, a wash in 2, better in coaching and didn't get worse at any position. So to give UK a D+ is just showing hate. Surely those clowns aren't even that inept.

Agree with almost all of this. One exception is probably Wallace/DJ....Wallace was pretty damn good. If DJ is as good as him I will be ecstatic and I don't mean that as a knock on him at all.

If they are only talking about Cal’s coaching I would give a D+ or F myself. I haven’t watched and am not sure what they gave a grade for.

Agree with almost all of this. One exception is probably Wallace/DJ....Wallace was pretty damn good. If DJ is as good as him I will be ecstatic and I don't mean that as a knock on him at all.
Wallace was great and I debated on calling that one a wash but I gave DJ the edge because I think he has the potential to be a game changer.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
16 seems generous, considering our performance over the last 5 years. I'm glad to see the mix of experience and young elite talent... it may not always work out, but it gives a basketball team its best chance to succeed.

I saw a recent video from the guy who gave the D+, and he was raving about the Ivisic pickup, but I don't know if that was just because of the blowback or what.

Reactions: mcwildcats04
Don't think I'll even bother watching this one tomorrow. Pretty sure this will be Goodman just looking for clicks.

On the one hand, Field of 68 grades are horse jockey. On the other hand, it is excellent bulletin board material. I had no idea you could be a hoops writer, even for social media, and be so biased and clueless.

Only two games that were really enjoyable the last 3 years were @kansas when they won by 20 and when they put a 100 on tenneseee and couldn’t miss. And in goodman he can’t hide his bias even when Kentucky doesn’t something good he sneaks his shots in
You didn't enjoy beating UNC the same year? I think we won by 19 or so.

I guess a team with double digit losses and a 9 seed can't make it all the easy to the championship game either. Oh wait, the Randle team did just that. It doesn't matter what teams do early, its how they are playing headed into the tournament. Several teams struggle early season and then gel. Especially teams that have great guard play. The Brandon Knight lead team didn't exactly set the world on fire early on. They geled and Cal changed to Knight running pick and roll and pick and pop, they finished strong.

Maybe if this came out a couple months back- but since then UK got Reeves back, picked up Mitchell, going after an intl big, and the freshman all showed promise in Canada.

At this point, I got to think most of Goodmans clicks come from pissed off UK fans. Don’t give him the satisfaction.
I think this assessment assumes that we just lucked into Tre Mitchell and Reeves. It is basically grading the plan and execution. There really was no viable plan. Just got Very lucky. Plus everyone here is excited over July games, which I am basically just going to ignore. I'll wait for the regular season to judge.

We went 25-6 and 15-3 and won the SEC. We finished 8th in the final AP poll. That’s a solid year and a team that could make a run. I don’t know where you are getting this it was a bad year from. We also didn’t stumble and lose to Florida, We won on a Keion Brooks basket in regulation. As far as close games go, SEC road games are always tight. John Wall’s team even won many games by a couple points, and only beat Miami (OH) on a last second jumper by him. They are universally regarded as an amazing team with one off night.

The 2010 teams average MoV was 15 a game versus the 2020 teams being only 8 a game. big difference between those teams. 2010 had some close games but was often dominant. 2020 had many close games and was rarely dominant. 2010 was a 1 seed. Bracket matrix had 2020 as a 4 seed before the season was canceled.

Plus our guard play was not that great. Hagans was a turnover machine. That had also just quit on his team. And fans have overrated Maxey. He was a solid but not great freshman guard. He was inefficient and streaky but saved himself by having a knack for hitting big shots when needed most. Quickley and Richards carried that team more than anything however.

and that’s not to say they couldn’t have made a run. I do think they could have. But Calipari apologists like to rewrite history and pencil that team into a final four when the reality is given their likely seed, draw, strengths and weaknesses, overall performance against the schedule(we finished 29th in kenpom) and Calipari’s recent history of finding a way to come up short even with the bracket collapsing in front of him, that team was a long shot to make any real noise.

Other than the Hagans issue which def could have been a problem, why was that not a great team, easily two of the best 5 guards in the nation, great big man, Juzang was really coming on, what was not to like?
Their on the court performance was below the actual talent on the roster.

They won the SEC, but were barely in the top 30 on kenpom despite having 3 pros in the starting lineup.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT