ADVERTISEMENT

Faster tempo on offense

Caveman Catfan

All-American
Sep 1, 2002
This seems like a good year to get plays off quickly with the advent of the QB helmet speakers. Any team that moves as deliberately as UK has the past two seasons will be at a disadvantage. Georgia Tech seemed to display that this past weekend when the defense shifted after the helmet speaker time elapsed, placing the OL and QB in a position of acting independently or searching the sideline for assistance. I think FSU’s OL coach was suspended, so that probably played a role in the ability to adjust.

That said, Gerald Mincey must have been messing with us this past week when asked if UK could move as fast as UT. He suggested UK would be getting plays to the line extremely fast. This is a guy who played for the Vols. Have Stoops and Bush been holding out or is Mincey just playing with us?

I was a bit perplexed w/an article I read that said the early reviews on Brock are mixed and that he would be splitting time at QB with another QB.
Really? That cant be correct can it?
I mean we are talking about a 22 yr old former 5 star that OK wanted and Georgia got.

Hamden said Wimsatt may get snaps on Saturday. I have heard no coach talk about splitting time, but have heard positive comments about GW.

I was a bit perplexed w/an article I read that said the early reviews on Brock are mixed and that he would be splitting time at QB with another QB.
I mean we are talking about a 22 yr old former 5 star that OK wanted and Georgia got.
I think they put some Wildcat packages in for Wimsatt with run and pass options. He is a very gifted runner and can throw pretty well. Won’t has started a lot of games in the Big 10 so he’s experienced.

Also, we often tend to get our QB 1 banged up. I think it would be great if we can keep both healthy by limiting the hits through the SEC.

Reactions: BlueRaider22
I think they put some Wildcat packages in for Wimsatt with run and pass options. He is a very gifted runner and can throw pretty well. Won’t has started a lot of games in the Big 10 so he’s experienced.

Agreed.

I've heard no comments at all that suggest that they'll be a QB by committee. Actually quite the opposite that Vandagriff is THE guy. That being said, Wimsatt is such a good runner that their installing some Wildcat packages.

All speculation because, as I'm sure you know, practices are closed. Could have been words to motivate Wimsatt or could have been legitimate concerns about how quickly BV was picking up the new offense, but from the people I trust, there is no doubt who is the QB and who will get 95% of the QB snaps. Wimsatt is QB2/HB/Wildcat QB in spot situations.

All speculation because, as I'm sure you know, practices are closed. Could have been words to motivate Wimsatt or could have been legitimate concerns about how quickly BV was picking up the new offense, but from the people I trust, there is no doubt who is the QB and who will get 95% of the QB snaps. Wimsatt is QB2/HB/Wildcat QB in spot situations.
Knowing my luck I got ahold of a hater article. Thanks for the reassurance as, despite the brutal schedule, I have high hopes for this group of Cats!

Knowing my luck I got ahold of a hater article. Thanks for the reassurance as, despite the brutal schedule, I have high hopes for this group of Cats!

I’ve heard little hype, compared to both Levis and Leary, but I honestly think tickets sales were weak coming out of Covid, leading to more hype, for the earlier guys. If tickets sales are as strong as circumstantial evidences indicates, the hype machine got placed on neutral this preseason.

TBF, there were some whispers coming out early that maybe BV wasn't quite what we had hoped, but I saw a few articles where the author chose to amplify those whispers into full blown concerns when I don't believe that was ever the case. New OC, QB and teammates all trying to find cohesion is always going to be an inconsistent, bumpy ride to start. We have too much talent everywhere on the field not to be good and if BV pans out, then we'll be great.

Charles Walker was on Leach this morning. He has seen a few practices. His comments were all about BV.

Now, to bring up your thread title about a faster offense tempo....

When I was around the program about a decade ago, Stoops was very adamant that the personnel would dictate the playcalling, tempo, etc. For example, if we have a thin defense that needs to conserve energy, a stud RB that can handle a large workload, poor receiving corps......well, can you guess what the playcalling and tempo would be? It'll be a slow, heavy run bias, plodding offense.

I can't remember another year where we have had personnel that yielded much alteration of the offense. Which brings us to this yr. This is the only year that I can think of under Stoops' tenure where we have a defense that's fairly solid across all positions......and is deep enough to stay fresh.......with decent enough OL potential.......with good QB potential......with enough multiple talents at WR/TE that demand touches......with a decent FG kicker. So, I'm very interested to see how they choose to operate.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan

Also, we often tend to get our QB 1 banged up. I think it would be great if we can keep both healthy by limiting the hits through the SEC.
Wimsatt Does NOT throw it "pretty well". Career 45% completion rate, 14 TD's / 17 INT's says different. He is AWFUL throwing the ball. yes he is a gifted runner, but if we are depending on Wimsatt throwing the ball often, we are in serious trouble. Wildcat packages, maybe catch a few lining up at WR, and occasional throw out of the Wildcat formation is ALL he needs to be scripted for. Playing him a significant amount of time and allowing him to throw it more than 2/3 times per game is not beneficial to UK.

Reactions: BlueRaider22
Wimsatt Does NOT throw it "pretty well". Career 45% completion rate, 14 TD's / 17 INT's says different. He is AWFUL throwing the ball. yes he is a gifted runner, but if we are depending on Wimsatt throwing the ball often, we are in serious trouble. Wildcat packages, maybe catch a few lining up at WR, and occasional throw out of the Wildcat formation is ALL he needs to be scripted for. Playing him a significant amount of time and allowing him to throw it more than 2/3 times per game is not beneficial to UK.

I agree. Watching videos of him, I don't think that passing a lot is in his future......but he's a very gifted runner.

It's also worth noting that with Trayunum out for this wk.....and potentially next wk......Wimsatt may see a decent amount of playing time to help boost our running game. This "may" artificially alter our perception of what the offense will be this yr.

He threw on the run quite a bit in the games I watched last year. Not sure how good Rutgers’ line stacked up, but he seemed to be flushed from the pocket often.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT