ADVERTISEMENT

Explain the Uverturn of Goal-tending and A & M got the ball afterwards.

They changed the rule this year without thinking about all the situations and circumstances. It would not have taken more than 20 seconds to review it right after it happened.

It is malpractice for the ref’s corrected mistake to penalize a team. Why don’t they review every call or no call during all timeouts.

They goal tended one of our second half shots but by rule since it wasn’t called they can’t go back to determine if it was a GT.

They changed the rule this year without thinking about all the situations and circumstances. It would not have taken more than 20 seconds to review it right after it happened.

It is malpractice for the ref’s corrected mistake to penalize a team. Why don’t they review every call or no call during all timeouts.

They goal tended one of our second half shots but by rule since it wasn’t called they can’t go back to determine if it was a GT.
But they can overturn a GT call that cost us 2 pts and then took the ball away from us.

But they can overturn a GT call that cost us 2 pts and then took the ball away from us.
I wouldn't think about it too much. It's a ridiculous rule that has great potential to punish the offensive team

How does that make sense? Their goal-tanding was overturned and they got the ball afterwards. I would think that is was our ball, after all it was a play they made that created this mess. We lost 2 points and the ball. I'm confused..

The Colonel
The problem is they wait until the next media timeout to review it. If it were a goal tend then A&M gets the ball like they would after a basket. That part made sense. The problem is in reality that steals a possession from the offensive team if the goal tending call is overturned and they possessed the ball after the block. Whoever made this rule just didn't think through all the scenarios.

That’s not on the refs, it’s just a bad rule. The rule is messed up because Ugo got the ball off the blocked shot that was called the goaltending, but it was called dead, and we were awarded 2 points (that would be taken away) and they took the ball out of bounds based off that.

The rule should go back to where they stop play at that moment (when Ugo gets the rebound) for them to review. If it’s not goaltending then the team that had possession after the block gets the ball out of bounds…which would have been us

Especially punitive since Onyenso had gotten possession (and was fouled) before the whistle was blown.

Reactions: drew_ukfan
As others have said, the rule is all kinds of messed up and wrong. Whoever
the individuals are who wrote this and put it in the rule book are not mental giants, to say the least. Feels like this could be another event in history when a rule change/update occurs due to something that happened in a UK game.

I can't. It's a dumb rule. Then again, I can't explain the foul at the end of regulation that put Reed on the line and got us to overtime, either.

I can't. It's a dumb rule. Then again, I can't explain the foul at the end of regulation that put Reed on the line and got us to overtime, either.
Can you explain all the walks that AM got away with in critical situations? Is putting your head down and taking multiple steps ok if you force contact at the end? Thanks Jay.

You didn’t see the guy kick his leg out in an attempt to draw a foul? Was absolutely an offensive foul. They just rarely call it correctly.
If that was called on us, the fan base would have gone ballistic.

Wade Taylor wraps his arm around Reed at 1 second left. He’s blocked from view, but Radford is probably fouling on the backside too. They should have put a little more time on the clock, but Reed was fouled.

Reactions: michaeluk26
If that was called on us, the fan base would have gone ballistic.
Doesn’t change that the call was right. Bilas crying about it doesn’t help.

He knew it was the right call too. Dillingham did something similar in the first half and the announcers were discussing whether it should have been a foul on Dillingham. So it wasn’t like it was a surprising scenario.

Reactions: Ugoff
He knew it was the right call too. Dillingham did something similar in the first half and the announcers were discussing whether it should have been a foul on Dillingham. So it wasn’t like it was a surprising scenario
The A&M guy kicked his leg out to try to make contact and draw the foul. What he did is a foul on the shooter. Usually not called in college but frequently called in NBA.

On the Dilly play, the guy stormed through Dilly and pushed Dilly’s leg out. It was equivalent to roughing the punter. He did not let our shooter, who was not extending his leg out, come down. It actually should have been 3 free throws for Dilly.

That’s not on the refs, it’s just a bad rule. The rule is messed up because Ugo got the ball off the blocked shot that was called the goaltending, but it was called dead, and we were awarded 2 points (that would be taken away) and they took the ball out of bounds based off that.

The rule should go back to where they stop play at that moment (when Ugo gets the rebound) for them to review. If it’s not goaltending then the team that had possession after the block gets the ball out of bounds…which would have been us
It is really that simple. The spirit of the rule is supposed to speed up play but how many times during the course of a game does that particular scenario come up. Yesterday it was one time. I’m not sure why that scenario differs from the basket interference call they made on A&M for which they did stop play to review and confirmed their call to be correct. Took maybe :30 seconds at best.

Wade Taylor wraps his arm around Reed at 1 second left. He’s blocked from view, but Radford is probably fouling on the backside too. They should have put a little more time on the clock, but Reed was fouled.

Not if you ask Bilas. He said it wasn't much.

The A&M guy kicked his leg out to try to make contact and draw the foul. What he did is a foul on the shooter. Usually not called in college but frequently called in NBA.

On the Dilly play, the guy stormed through Dilly and pushed Dilly’s leg out. It was equivalent to roughing the punter. He did not let our shooter, who was not extending his leg out, come down. It actually should have been 3 free throws for Dilly.

Bul also that's Robs natural shooting motion as well. His legs do kinda go out to the side naturally.

Another NCAA gaffe rule but you should be accepting of it by now.

Dont count on us in a close game. I’m expecting a mistake because we make them so regularly.

The problem is they wait until the next media timeout to review it. If it were a goal tend then A&M gets the ball like they would after a basket. That part made sense. The problem is in reality that steals a possession from the offensive team if the goal tending call is overturned and they possessed the ball after the block. Whoever made this rule just didn't think through all the scenarios.
Exactally....That 2 points and the ball would have made a difference. we win in regulation and maybe have scored on the posession. Thank you Pat Adams. and whomever made those rules.

For sure what you posted. Whomever dreamed this rule up didn't think it all the way thru. Thanks for your broadsight...

Can you explain all the walks that AM got away with in critical situations? Is putting your head down and taking multiple steps ok if you force contact at the end? Thanks Jay.
You’re exactly right! Three steps before the “supposed” foul went uncalled. Refs have gone blind when it comes to calling traveling. It started in the NBA and has filtered down to college.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT