ADVERTISEMENT

Exhibit A why you should not bet on sports

Yeah but if you had ODU you're all.....

200w.gif

I personally don't care that much if people want to be dumb with their money and bet. What bothers me is all the posts talking/bragging about it here.

They only people making money on gambling are Vegas. Period.

Yep. Vegas experts came out at the beginning of the tournament and said KY would never be allowed to win bc it’s the only scenario where Vegas loses money on March madness which is one of their biggest revenue weekends.
Yeah a tournament bracket show I was watching was talking about the money bet on UK to go 40-0 and how much Vegas would lose if they did and I told my wife right then and there that we would not win it all.....and here we are. 👿

Last edited:
What really hurts is when you take a 6 point dog and they are up double figures most of the game, blow the lead late and lose by 8 in overtime.

Reactions: TFCats11
Bad Beat in full effect. i have won bets on a guy making a 50 footer to cover, and I have lost in the same fashion. It is why they call it gambling and not winning. There is two sides to every coin though, bettors lose on bad beats, but the flip side is there are winners on the same play.

Reactions: JDHoss
I lost a bet the other night on a 4.5 point line in the NBA, guy missed a free throw that would have gave them a 5 point win. You just chalk it up as "just wasn't meant to be". I think the player was like a 80+ % free throw shooter also.

Reactions: JDHoss and TFCats11
Yeah a tournament bracket show I was watching was talking about the money bet on UK to go 40-0 and how much Vegas would lose if they did and I told my wife right then and there that we would not win it all.....and here we are. 👿
Same, saw a sports show talking about gambling lines and what not and one guy said Vegas would take a huge wash if UK wins the tournament.

We stopped and rewound it a few times and then I told her we have no chance.

Find a projected close game. You can wager on the underdog at +150 or so. Wait for the underdog to get a lead, see if the odds shift the other way. If it goes +125 or so to the other team you can wager about same amount and win either way. Doesn’t work every time of course but it does quite often

Betting on sports robs any sort of joy in my opinion. You become fixated on spreads or performances of specific athletes.

Sports should be entertainment, something you look forward to at face value and not something you use to make a quick buck.

I personally don't care that much if people want to be dumb with their money and bet. What bothers me is all the posts talking/bragging about it here.

They only people making money on gambling are Vegas. Period.
And some of them NEVER participate in game threads, or even talk about the Cats in general. If they do talk about the Cats it's over/under garbage or coming in here with NBA statistics about players you know they're betting on. The people I'm talking about are only here for the scoop on players because they're gambling. It needs to stop.

Reactions: know1
@Creed Bratton @EliteBlue i remember the same thing. it was a bracketology show on espnu. they had a vegas insider on explaining how much money vegas would lose if kentucky won it all. knew there was 0 chance at that point.

Betting on sports robs any sort of joy in my opinion. You become fixated on spreads or performances of specific athletes.

Sports should be entertainment, something you look forward to at face value and not something you use to make a quick buck.

Sports wagering actually gives me lots of joy, in three ways:

#1. It allows me to emotionally hedge against a UK loss by betting against the Cats. Either the Cats win or I win money. And if I lose a little money, to me it’s no different than spending that money to pay for tickets, pay for parking, pay for concessions, etc. especially if it guarantees a UK win.

#2. If you don’t bet spreads and instead just bet moneyline, particularly if you parlay home teams in both college basketball and football, you can beat the books pretty regularly. That’s always been true but it is especially true this season.

#3. March Madness just allows for some crazy parlays where a 50-cent bet could win you close to a million bucks. Sure the odds are long, but if you don’t think that makes the randomness of March even more fun idk what to tell you!

Reactions: Girthang
What really hurts is when you take a 6 point dog and they are up double figures most of the game, blow the lead late and lose by 8 in overtime.

What my friends dad would say to that... "Stupidity. Stupidity is what really hurts."

He'd say, If you're gambling for entertainment, it never hurts. If you're gambling for the wrong reasons and/or with money you can't afford to lose, you're already losing and just don't know it yet.

Reactions: JDHoss and Wonky

#1. It allows me to emotionally hedge against a UK loss by betting against the Cats. Either the Cats win or I win money. And if I lose a little money, to me it’s no different than spending that money to pay for tickets, pay for parking, pay for concessions, etc. especially if it guarantees a UK win.

#2. If you don’t bet spreads and instead just bet moneyline, particularly if you parlay home teams in both college basketball and football, you can beat the books pretty regularly. That’s always been true but it is especially true this season.

#3. March Madness just allows for some crazy parlays where a 50-cent bet could win you close to a million bucks. Sure the odds are long, but if you don’t think that makes the randomness of March even more fun idk what to tell you!

If it's harmless fun, gambling isn't any worse than any other fan activity. If your Tv is in danger, however, that's another story entirely

Reactions: G-PIP

There ARE people that only bet on sports for fun. I know 1 of them personally. He doesn't use it to make money, but he wins more than he loses. Gets his vacations paid for quite a bit. I'm not that guy. Lol

There ARE people that only bet on sports for fun. I know 1 of them personally. He doesn't use it to make money, but he wins more than he loses. Gets his vacations paid for quite a bit. I'm not that guy. Lol
But the fun comes from the high of winning and not from the sport itself.

Eh, it's just not my thing.

I put 200 on how many times they would show Tswift. I had 15, it was 12.
I three all my Swift cds in the compactor

• Haha
Find a projected close game. You can wager on the underdog at +150 or so. Wait for the underdog to get a lead, see if the odds shift the other way. If it goes +125 or so to the other team you can wager about same amount and win either way. Doesn’t work every time of course but it does quite often
Well only if you win the one with the less "juice". Because you are losing one of them if it is a ML bet. I will middle if there is like a 5 or 6 point spread between the original bet and the live bet. But just to lay money of the other side, why even make the bet ? You risk / reward is not not there. Splitting the two bets , if you win the better odds bet, only pays you back a very minimal profit.

Example : Say I take Ole Miss +10 before the game, say they get a 7/8 point lead and the line drops to UK -3 (or Ole Miss +3). I then would consider betting UK -3. Why ? because now I have a middle ground that gives me a win for BOTH bets from UK winning by 9 to UK winning by 4. Now I have 5 point middle, and given myself a way to double my profits and no risk in losing, at worst a split. Using last night as an example (not saying the line ever got to UK -3 when they was down, just an example, as it does happen) I would have protected my original bet of +10 by taking UK -3. Now why would you do that if you was so sure of Ole Miss +10 ? Because I felt really good about UK -3, which I would have never got so low if they didn't get down early.

This.

But the fun comes from the high of winning and not from the sport itself.

Your assumption is incorrect. He enjoys the games regardless. Most of business and .aybe even life is a gamble. Of course people would rather win, but it doesn't mean that's all their is to it is some "high" from just this or just that.

I found that for me, it's just not that entertaining to gamble. I don't get a high from winning at gambling. I don't enjoy winning at gambling like I do a sport or other contest where I'm actually competing. Never liked bingo, even.

He likes it and it adds an extra dimension to the contests on which he bets. I don't know why people always assume things about other people they haven't met. It's just human nature I guess.
Well only if you win the one with the less "juice". Because you are losing one of them if it is a ML bet. I will middle if there is like a 5 or 6 point spread between the original bet and the live bet. But just to lay money of the other side, why even make the bet ? You risk / reward is not not there. Splitting the two bets , if you win the better odds bet, only pays you back a very minimal profit.

Example : Say I take Ole Miss +10 before the game, say they get a 7/8 point lead and the line drops to UK -3 (or Ole Miss +3). I then would consider betting UK -3. Why ? because now I have a middle ground that gives me a win for BOTH bets from UK winning by 9 to UK winning by 4. Now I have 5 point middle, and given myself a way to double my profits and no risk in losing, at worst a split. Using last night as an example (not saying the line ever got to UK -3 when they was down, just an example, as it does happen) I would have protected my original bet of +10 by taking UK -3. Now why would you do that if you was so sure of Ole Miss +10 ? Because I felt really good about UK -3, which I would have never got so low if they didn't get down early.

This is why I don't bother gambling on sports. I have enough to do studying the stock and real estate markets and the businesses/trends there. I don't have the time or patience for the matrix of sports gambling. Looks like you have a handle on it and could have some fun with it

What my friends dad would say to that... "Stupidity. Stupidity is what really hurts."

He'd say, If you're gambling for entertainment, it never hurts. If you're gambling for the wrong reasons and/or with money you can't afford to lose, you're already losing and just don't know it yet.
Well, I bet on sports for the profit in my 20s(65 now). After the 4th bookie cut me off I just stopped trying to find another(long before the internet and I didn't live in Nevada and small bookies don't lay off bets, just cut off the guys that win too consistently). But I never bet money that wasn't earmarked for just that purpose and I never bet more than a handful of games per week and I NEVER bet on any game involving UK, as they were the only team I was emotionally invested in. It's possible to win but one must use self control and if you can't just laugh off the bad beats it's better to just find out if you were right with the final score.

Bad Beat in full effect. i have won bets on a guy making a 50 footer to cover, and I have lost in the same fashion. It is why they call it gambling and not winning. There is two sides to every coin though, bettors lose on bad beats, but the flip side is there are winners on the same play.
I won money on the opening game against Ball St last season when Ray Davis scooted in for a TD on a long run to cover the spread in a situation where we probably should've taken a couple of knees to end the game. Same thing happened in Coen's first season when we covered with a TD drive led by Beau Allen and other backups in the closing seconds. I've also lost on guys missing a PAT and dropping a sure TD pass. I bet almost exclusively on college/NFL because basketball is such a random sport from night to night, although last year I made money betting on University Six in basketball to fail to cover.

I had Purdy with the over 12.5 rushing yards.
He had 13 and lost 2 when he kneeled for OT.

Don't tell me about bad beats...LOL
I had a boost from DraftKings:

Pacheco over 50 total scrimmage yards
Aiyuk over 50 total scrimmage yards.

Pacheco hit.
Aiyuk had 49.

Agree. I TRY to stay clear away from NBA (too many starters resting etc. ), you just never know what the guys are thinking game in and game out. 82 games is a long season, crazy stuff happens OFTEN in the NBA. Teams down 25 and come back to win, team scores 60 in a quarter. Just too tough to cap. I also am VERY selective betting the NFL. College football and basketball is where I try to stay, but Sundays can get boring so,,,

Also, to the one poster said "hope to hit 70%", yeah right. Maybe for a short span, but NOBODY is hitting 70% for a season, or even a prolonged period. It just is NOT happening.

Sorry, I was only talking about ML but I didn’t say it. It is a small payout, just a safer method I think. I’m no big gambler

Try this one on:

Super Bowl parlay

McCaffrey TD ✅
Kelce over 64.5 yards ✅
Aiyuk over 49.5 yards. 💩

Aiyuk finished with 49

Would have won $160 🤷🏻‍♂️

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT