ADVERTISEMENT

east palestine chemical explosion

Status
Not open for further replies.
3923940_OH_East_Palestine.png

They are saying there is a 200 mile fallout radius around the crash site now. Waterways are really going to suffer with where this happened.

What I'm not getting is that this train derailed several days ago. Why would local authorities be blowing up something today?

Local police blowed/blew it up? WTF?
The chemicals that train was carrying are apparently extremely volatile. They supposedly used a controlled detonation to try and prevent a much larger uncontrolled explosion. Sounds like all rhey did was send a bunch of really nasty chemicals into the air and water.

Reactions: Girthang and chroix
I can’t see anything on CNN or Fox sites, unless I’m missing it.

CNN's coverage:

Feb. 4: Train derailment in northeastern Ohio sparks massive fire

Feb. 5: Evacuations ordered amid fears of an explosion as an Ohio train continues burning days after derailment

Feb. 6: Residents not yet allowed to return to homes near site of fiery train derailment in Ohio

Feb. 6: Freight train derailment in Ohio puts US infrastructure back in a bruising spotlight

Feb. 7: 5 derailed train cars carrying hazardous material at risk of exploding are no longer burning, official says

Feb. 7: Residents not yet allowed to return to homes near site of fiery train derailment in Ohio

Feb. 8: Evacuation order lifted for residents near where train carrying hazardous chemicals derailed

Feb. 9: NewsNation reporter arrested during a news conference after Ohio law enforcement told him to stop his live broadcast

Feb. 10: NewsNation reporter was pushed by National Guard official during an argument before his arrest at an Ohio news conference, video shows

Feb. 13: After a train derailment, Ohio residents are living the plot of a movie they helped make

Fox News:

Feb. 4: Ohio train derailment causes massive fire, forces village evacuation

Feb. 6: Ohio skyline lit up by fireball, black plumes of smoke as toxic chemicals are released from derailed train

Feb. 6: Officials advise evacuation over explosion concerns after train derailment in Ohio

Feb. 6: National Guard called in to assist in aftermath of Ohio train derailment

Feb. 7: Ohio train derailment: Residents still barred from homes after toxic chemicals released from cars

Feb. 8: Evacuees still wait to go home days following Ohio train derailment after toxic gas released into air

Feb. 8: NewsNation correspondent arrested while covering Ohio train derailment press conference

Feb. 9: East Palestine police defend arrest of NewsNation correspondent covering Ohio train derailment presser

Feb. 13: Ohio train derailment prompts water utility across state lines to take precautions as health concerns mount

Feb. 13: Biden admin insists Ohio air is safe after chemical explosion sparks fears

The chemicals that train was carrying are apparently extremely volatile. They supposedly used a controlled detonation to try and prevent a much larger uncontrolled explosion. Sounds like all rhey did was send a bunch of really nasty chemicals into the air and water.
It's bizarre that local police would be doing that. I worked for 33 years for a major chemical company, and we had a dedicated professional HAZMAT/Fire team on duty 24/7. I'm pretty sure they could have gotten some professionals there pretty quick to oversee this.

CNN's coverage:

Feb. 5: Evacuations ordered amid fears of an explosion as an Ohio train continues burning days after derailment

Feb. 6: Residents not yet allowed to return to homes near site of fiery train derailment in Ohio

Feb. 6: Freight train derailment in Ohio puts US infrastructure back in a bruising spotlight

Feb. 7: 5 derailed train cars carrying hazardous material at risk of exploding are no longer burning, official says

Feb. 7: Residents not yet allowed to return to homes near site of fiery train derailment in Ohio

Feb. 8: Evacuation order lifted for residents near where train carrying hazardous chemicals derailed

Feb. 9: NewsNation reporter arrested during a news conference after Ohio law enforcement told him to stop his live broadcast

Feb. 10: NewsNation reporter was pushed by National Guard official during an argument before his arrest at an Ohio news conference, video shows

Feb. 13: After a train derailment, Ohio residents are living the plot of a movie they helped make

Fox News:

Feb. 6: Ohio skyline lit up by fireball, black plumes of smoke as toxic chemicals are released from derailed train

Feb. 6: Officials advise evacuation over explosion concerns after train derailment in Ohio

Feb. 6: National Guard called in to assist in aftermath of Ohio train derailment

Feb. 7: Ohio train derailment: Residents still barred from homes after toxic chemicals released from cars

Feb. 8: Evacuees still wait to go home days following Ohio train derailment after toxic gas released into air

Feb. 8: NewsNation correspondent arrested while covering Ohio train derailment press conference

Feb. 9: East Palestine police defend arrest of NewsNation correspondent covering Ohio train derailment presser

Feb. 13: Ohio train derailment prompts water utility across state lines to take precautions as health concerns mount

Feb. 13: Biden admin insists Ohio air is safe after chemical explosion sparks fears
Yeah, this was all over the news when it happened. Those posted tweets give the impression that this just happened. After looking at those twitter accounts, they don't look very credible for breaking news.

Yeah, this was all over the news when it happened. Those posted tweets give the impression that this just happened. After looking at those twitter accounts, they don't look very credible for breaking news.
I don't think it was trying to break the news but more to say "hey, why isn't this all over the news?" I get they had links but I watch news off and on all day. Same as family and friends. Nobody had heard about this.

Reactions: Girthang and JDHoss
Not all of those links are to tweets.

Locals set the fire when the vinyl chloride tankers threatened to explode. The chemical was drained from the cars and burned in a trench. The train cars weren't bombed.

Subsequent air tests following the burn found background levels of the chemical.

I'm not privy to the data, but newsrooms have been known to "enhance" pics to amplify their scariness.

I imagine it will be weeks before rail traffic is back to normal so buy TP. The cargo ship that got twisted in the Suez Canal waaay back when caused all manner of shortages due to its impact on world shipping.

CNN's coverage:

Fox News:

Just looking at their front pages today. Looks like there has been lots of coverage.

Reactions: J_Dee
I just saw a 10 minute segment on the Palestine OH situation on a national news program, and then I got online and saw that it was the top story on Yahoo's main page.

Let’s check in on what the US Transporation Secretary had to say about it today.

There is no end of things that aren't discussed. It sounds like there's just a whole lot of finger waggling going on. The air has been tested for vinyl chloride and has been reported to be at background levels. If you have contrary evidence -- as opposed to sarcasm or innuendo -- it will help.

There is no end of things that aren't discussed. It sounds like there's just a whole lot of finger waggling going on. The air has been tested for vinyl chloride and has been reported to be at background levels. If you have contrary evidence -- as opposed to sarcasm or innuendo -- it will help.

I guess we have different expectations of competency for our public officials (crazy, I know) and what they should be focusing on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT