ADVERTISEMENT

Dumb and Dumber

TheBlueMax

Junior
Jan 1, 2003
Kentucky
Stubborn-ass coach won't learn his lesson. You foul up three well inside 10 seconds so they have little or no chance to win, and why is Reed taking the ball out on the last possession in regulation? One of the worst, end-of-game coaches, and cannot recognize (St Peter's) that when an opponent is playing above their heads, you have to be flexible enough to know how to win at the end.

It’s the same stupid mistake that cost Cal a national championship in 2008.

You’d think he would’ve learned his lesson from that …but, nope, he just keeps making that same dumb mistake again and again. Seems he’s just to arrogant to ever admit that his way is wrong.

It’s the same stupid mistake that cost Cal a national championship in 2008.

You’d think he would’ve learned his lesson from that …but, nope, he just keeps making that same dumb mistake again and again. Seems he’s just to arrogant to ever admit that his way is wrong.
Exactly it. And his ego is big enough that if a reporter would question him on it, it would just fuel him to want to do it even more to prove his way is best. His unwillingness to accept his way may not be best has led to his decline

Dum Assery on Display,,
why, just why have Reed take the ball out when you need a sure free throw shooter when Dilly looked like Happy Dam-it in the last min.
Jack Givens said it during the game....Florida knew who to get the ball to during crunch time to win the game and the one thing we couldn't give up was a 3

Last edited:
Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
It is an ego problem. How many times must you lose by doing the same dumb thing? Foul at ANY time when you have Reeves AND Sheppard as your closers....you freaking IDIOT! How many times must your team lose for you to understand that?

Of course, my disappointment grew with every passing minute tonight because 1) they're not nearly as good as hoped, 2) we cannot guard a sloth, and are still making huge fundamental defensive mistakes, 3) once again, we cannot play with a full lineup, 4) while Onyenso had a nice game, there is no verifiable inside attack with three seven-footers on your team. Add in that in most every instance when it counts, that Calipari is outcoached. He refuses to use timeouts because if he calls one and it doesn't work out, it's "on the kids."

By the way, when you're AT HOME and you have FT shooters in Reeves and Sheppard, YOU FOUL!!!!!!!!! It's NOT rocket science, but it is EGO. He's an egotistical, stubborn-ass, losing-ass saboteur even as a HOF coach. It happened against Kansas when he lost the national championship, against Wisconsin, against Kansas St, against St Peter's, against Evansville, against North Carolina, and against a multitude of other teams.

At the gold standard, the Kentucky standard, you have to be much better and you have to be much smarter. At the end of the game, you have to be much smarter than you knowledge of basketball, and part of that is reigning in a runaway ego.

Finally, this is hugely disappointing and demoralizing. Youth (and he better not use that as an excuse) helped lose this particular game, one we should have won 9 of 10 times, and a profound lack of appreciation for and understanding of our history of winning and tradition of excellence. So we also see clearly, that a number one recruiting class and subsequent pending exodus to the NBA, is NOT what a successful college basketball program should use as its foundation.

Kentucky should of fouled no doubt but the hell is Sheppard playing inside the arc and ball watching on Florida’s best shooter

He abandoned his kids -- once again, just like against St Peter's -- in their time of need.

Let me repeat that: once again, he abandoned his kids. He's done it before and he'll do it again. Does that sound like a "players first" coach to you? It doesn't to me.

¡Los abandonó! Está completamente clarísimo y ya es nuevamente evidente que los abandonó.

I can only hope that the national and local journalists let him have it this time. They ought to be excoriating him now and for years in how he, and he alone, let us lose that game last night. Does he not understand now, nor will he ever understand, that he is dealing with kids who need to be led into battle? They need a leader. They need someone to look them in the eyes and tell them how to nail down a victory at the very end. Bodies are developed but minds are not. Does a guy who has coached this many games really not understand this?

It's very simple when you hold all of the cards. Call timeout. Use one of your TWO REMAINING TIMEOUTS! Tell them exactly HOW TO WIN the game. Everybody take a breath. Get a sip of water. Relax...we got this. Get the ball to Reed or Antonio. Make sure they know what to do if a FT is missed...you must have a contingency plan for all instances. Yes, a contingency plan clearly stated when you're in the heat of battle.

How much of a percentage likelihood of a win would ESPN or anyone else have given us with Reed or Antonio on the line at the end? Ninety percent? More? Reed had even hit six in a row in an earlier game this year.

Calipari's ego and obstinacy are too much and too costly. Of course he won't own this in any way. We'll hear the same tired cliches and excuses. Imagine being one of the assistant coaches having to put up with his egotistical BS.

Bruiser (who is probably as infuriated as I am), I beg you sir, next time tell him to go to the lockerroom with about five minutes to go in the game. He is hands down one of the worst end-of-game coaches in America today. Again, even I, as a former coach and current UK Basjetball Benny, know that. The evidence is clear -- guilty as charged. How many times will he repeat the same fundamental coaching errors?

MESSAGE TO BARNHART: THIS is exactly why you NEVER give ANYONE in any capacity a lifetime contract.

Reactions: teli and Mike-McD
When we win, more often than not it is in spite of our coach’s decisions and not because of them. That should never be the case at the top program in the sport. Thanks, Mitch.

So trailing 89-87 with just over a minute to go in OT. Cal calls a TO. And they run a play for Dilly to drive to the basket. He had just got pulled from the game for cramps so bad he could hardly walk and needed help off the floor. That's the play you draw up for a player who could hardly walk a few moments ago??!! I don't get that at all.

Reactions: teli and CatPhight
We lose games from the 3 point line, our guards have hedged to the paint all year giving open looks and we still do it. In contrast South Carolina doesn’t leave shooters regardless. Seems to be working for them.

This is the most egregious of Cal’s many coaching mistakes. I understood it when the bigs were out, but now we have all 3 of them yet still continue to do it game after game. Ugo doesn’t need any help. Stick with your f%#n man!!!

Reactions: TriCountyCat
Stubborn-ass coach won't learn his lesson. You foul up three well inside 10 seconds so they have little or no chance to win, and why is Reed taking the ball out on the last possession in regulation? One of the worst, end-of-game coaches, and cannot recognize (St Peter's) that when an opponent is playing above their heads, you have to be flexible enough to know how to win at the end.
You nailed it when you said that Calipari is..... One of the worst end of game coaches.... When last night's game went into OT I had ZERO faith that we would win. I would like for someone to find what Calipari's OT record is over the last 8 or 9 years. I would say that his win % in OT games would be somewhere in 20% range.

I’m not saying that Cal has a secret deal with the sports gambling industry, but if he did, what would he be doing differently?

Laugh, but Cal has made “Vegas” more money during his time at UK than the next 3 closest coaches… COMBINED 💯🎯

WUeKois.png

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT