ADVERTISEMENT

Latest on Wagner and Edwards

Someone said on KSR that Wagner removed everything about UK from his Instagram and X accounts. I don’t have either one to check but would be surprising if true.

This might seem like a stupid comment but isn't Joey Hart someone who could give us a few minutes tonight?
I seriously don't know about his skill set other than he can shoot lights out.
I saw him play some in the preseason and he didn't look bad.
IDK.

Thoughts?
I do not think so. He was signed for the exact reason he is not playing. He is a project and multi year player (4 years IF he sticks around and understands he will not play much until Jr. / Sr. year) He was never thought of as a player who would contribute right away, we signed him when we needed bodies. He is too slow and has not showed he has the offensive ability to off set his defensive flaws. The other guys can at least score, but a guy who has not shown anything on either side of the court is a liability. I know he has not had much of an opportunity to showcase his skills, but the coaches have watched every day in practice. If he can not shine in practice against token defense, he is not going to in real game time. JMO, but he has not shown me anything to suggest he deserves minutes. I think in a couple years he CAN, but as a freshman ? Tough to do, especially somewhere like UK with the pressure that comes with it.

Will need a healthy dose of Thiero and Edwards at the SF spot tonight- hopefully more Thiero.

That should give the 3 guards a break/rest.

Think we might see Cal go 2 bigs a bit more tonight with how thin we are in the backcourt, might see some Ugo/Bradshaw or Ugo/Z lineups.
I hope Thiero plays 25+ minutes and Cal puts him on Knecht. Reeves and Dillingham can guard him when Thiero is out but I'd prefer more Thierovthan anyone else. Cats by double digits.

I'd rather Edwards not play. We need roster consistency at this point. You put him back in and that will throw off the momentum we built last game (however little that may be).

For DJ.. if he truly has a nagging ankle.. this is a tough one. We need him, but we need him for the tournament more. If he's 90% or above, play him. Anything less, sit him and continue to rehab.

I hope Thiero plays 25+ minutes and Cal puts him on Knecht. Reeves and Dillingham can guard him when Thiero is out but I'd prefer more Thierovthan anyone else. Cats by double digits.
Thiero is gonna be limited tonight apparently

Yeah, this will be a UT blowout. Will be similar to the USC loss in 2014, the low point of the season (hopefully).

Knecht is going to go bonkers and Cats will trail the entire game. UT by 12-15

Yeah, this will be a UT blowout. Will be similar to the USC loss in 2014, the low point of the season (hopefully).

Knecht is going to go bonkers and Cats will trail the entire game. UT by 12-15
What a loser outlook , we may drop this game , but its gonna be a war .. I expect us to win tonight .. we do really well when we try hard .. I think we try hard tonight .

I'd rather Edwards not play. We need roster consistency at this point. You put him back in and that will throw off the momentum we built last game (however little that may be).

For DJ.. if he truly has a nagging ankle.. this is a tough one. We need him, but we need him for the tournament more. If he's 90% or above, play him. Anything less, sit him and continue to rehab.
I agree with you about DJ, but I still think we need Edwards to play (not start) but come in and play good defense and rebound and shoot it if you’re open. He can help, it’s just a matter of if he does help.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I agree with you about DJ, but I still think we need Edwards to play (not start) but come in and play good defense and rebound and shoot it if you’re open. He can help, it’s just a matter of if he does help.

Maybe, but I'm fine if he doesn't play a minute of the Tennessee game. That's not the matchup that's going to get him going, and instead, it's the type of game where his -12 in 10 minutes of play could give us the loss. We need to play very smart today. Not biting pump fakes, not getting caught watching the ball handler too much, making the right passes, etc.

Reactions: YardCat
I do not think so. He was signed for the exact reason he is not playing. He is a project and multi year player (4 years IF he sticks around and understands he will not play much until Jr. / Sr. year) He was never thought of as a player who would contribute right away, we signed him when we needed bodies. He is too slow and has not showed he has the offensive ability to off set his defensive flaws. The other guys can at least score, but a guy who has not shown anything on either side of the court is a liability. I know he has not had much of an opportunity to showcase his skills, but the coaches have watched every day in practice. If he can not shine in practice against token defense, he is not going to in real game time. JMO, but he has not shown me anything to suggest he deserves minutes. I think in a couple years he CAN, but as a freshman ? Tough to do, especially somewhere like UK with the pressure that comes with it.
I highly doubt hart would help but you lost me with the coaches have seen in practice everyday comment. Cal has been playing players all year that were not as good as the guys sitting on the bench behind them. Actually been doing that for awhile now, not just this year.

Reactions: crestcat
Has KSR done any heavy investigative journalism
and you are now manufacturing against KSR and Matt...... that rumor was put all over the net a whole day before matt said anything so he didnt manufacture it.
Matt has an obligation to make damn sure that info is correct before putting it out then and then speculating on air about it. Don't carry water for that guy.

Maybe, but I'm fine if he doesn't play a minute of the Tennessee game. That's not the matchup that's going to get him going, and instead, it's the type of game where his -12 in 10 minutes of play could give us the loss. We need to play very smart today. Not biting pump fakes, not getting caught watching the ball handler too much, making the right passes, etc.
Wagner is Kentuckys best perimeter defender and he gives you a guy who can baskets at the rim

What a loser outlook , we may drop this game , but its gonna be a war .. I expect us to win tonight .. we do really well when we try hard .. I think we try hard tonight .
I hope so. But no Wagner, a limited Edwards and a limited Theiro do not give me any confidence they can beat a team like UT.

Ugo isn’t going to replicate his career game, Reed likely won’t either so all of that equates to an easy UT win in my mind.

Wagner is Kentuckys best perimeter defender and he gives you a guy who can baskets at the rim

That was in regards to Edwards.

DJ does have some things he does very well, but my worry with him is that he's just not good at running the offense or operating in the half court (Hes not even all that great at the fast-break either). So I'd prefer he plays, especially with Adou out. But we are not going far if he doesn't improve his PG play and decision making.

We haven’t really played smart all year, the will pump fake us to death. Bradshaw has 3 fouls for pump fakes in the hallway before the game

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Lets all be serious , Edwards being out is a positive .. So to those crying about " we are down a starter , " Cmon he isnt a contributor anyway . And I suspect Adou plays . So we are def missing DJ but thats it .

Reactions: TFCats11
Lets all be serious , Edwards being out is a positive .. So to those crying about " we are down a starter , " Cmon he isnt a contributor anyway . And I suspect Adou plays . So we are def missing DJ but thats it .

I would agree... up until we are without TOO many people. End of the game from Wednesday, we had no DJ or Adou and Dilly was cramping. We had Reed and Reeves for back court and wing options.. that was it.

We almost have SO many banged up bodies, that we may need Edwards regardless of how he's playing.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
This happens every year after Camp Cal. Can’t believe that hasn’t resonated with fans here. We’re supposed to have smart fans. lol

Last edited:
I would agree... up until we are without TOO many people. End of the game from Wednesday, we had no DJ or Adou and Dilly was cramping. We had Reed and Reeves for back court and wing options.. that was it.

We almost have SO many banged up bodies, that we may need Edwards regardless of how he's playing.
I'm gonna go out on a limb .. Cal plays Z today , Z plays well , the energy of the crowd pulls the Cats over the finish line .. Cats 91 UT 82

I highly doubt hart would help but you lost me with the coaches have seen in practice everyday comment. Cal has been playing players all year that were not as good as the guys sitting on the bench behind them. Actually been doing that for awhile now, not just this year.
I was wondering about Hart also- none of our guys can guard anyone so Hart is no liability there and I agree about our coaches, not sure what they see half the time- I think Cal is afraid to play him because he may do well

I'm beginning to question some of these injuries.

According to Pilgrim and his source, Wagner has been hurt all season, dating back to ankle injury in September. He wears a boot after every game to reduce swelling. He has not and will not quit. It has been too bad to even practice this week. Pilgrim highly doubtful he will play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT