ADVERTISEMENT

Does The Bowl Game Seem As Back Burner For KY As It Does Currently For Iowa?

We could have easily chosen the Gasparilla Bowl. Much better time slot, primetime, no other games on, vs. a slew of opponents. Mizzou fought tooth and nail not to go to Memphis. Stoops and Mitch decided to hide behind the Sugar Bowl, UK/UofL, CFP, etc.
Bowl payouts…
Gasparilla Bowl: $1,125,000 (Wake Forest vs. Missouri)

Music City Bowl: $5,700,000 (Iowa vs. Kentucky)

Dude, you could have looked this up yourself and spared yourself the embarrassment.

Bowl payouts…
Gasparilla Bowl: $1,125,000 (Wake Forest vs. Missouri)

Music City Bowl: $5,700,000 (Iowa vs. Kentucky)

Dude, you could have looked this up yourself and spared yourself the embarrassment.
Doesn’t mean dick, save your embarrassment since all bowl money payouts goes to the conference cookie jar then is equally distributed among all the schools in the conference. Just like Dion and you love it, go protest something 🍺

Doesn’t mean dick, save your embarrassment since all bowl money payouts goes to the conference cookie jar then is equally distributed among all the schools in the conference. Just like Dion and you love it, go protest something 🍺
Not exactly true. If there was only a way to research things🤔
How does SEC split bowl money?

Each bowl's payout is given to the conference, and will later be distributed to the teams across the SEC. While each team receives a portion, the team competing in the bowl game earns a larger percentage of the payout.

Not exactly true. If there was only a way to research things🤔
How does SEC split bowl money?

Each bowl's payout is given to the conference, and will later be distributed to the teams across the SEC. While each team receives a portion, the team competing in the bowl game earns a larger percentage of the payout.
🙄

According to The Business of College Sports, for bowl games with receipts totaling $4 million to $5.9 million, the participating team will retain $1.475 million. For bowl games with receipts of $6 million or more the participating team will retain $2 million.

In other words, UK will receive more from the MCB than the entire payout of the Gasparilla Bowl.

then is equally distributed among all the schools in the conference.
That has never been the means of division of bowl revenue in the SEC.

There is sharing, but the higher the bowl
payout, the larger the share and disproportion allocation (2 for 1) for the direct participant, over other conference teams.

Reactions: satcheluk
Swing and a miss!

Even for lower paying bowls, the participant receives two shares of the revenue, where the conference and other teams get one share (of 16 divided shares).
So you are saying they get the entire payout for the bowl and teams in the conference that don’t make a bowl get just a piece of the aggregate ? Explain the two shares, you talking the gate and concessions plus the TV revenue ?
🍺

So you are saying they get the entire payout for the bowl and teams in the conference that don’t make a bowl get just a piece of the aggregate ? Explain the two shares, you talking the gate and concessions plus the TV revenue ?
🍺
Bowl revenue in the SEC has typically been divided into 16 “shares.”

“Gate and concessions and TV” has nothing (directly) to do with it: there were empty bowls during Covid, but the payouts to participants remained essentially the same.

Each bowl is a corporate entity, who receives the money from gate, concessions and TV, and from corporate sponsors. Irrespective of “gate,” the Bowl entity guarantees Bowl participants a fixed “payout.” This guaranteed payout can be researched on each bowls’ website months prior to the game. It is a fixed contractual amount. The bowl corporate entity bears the risk of paying out in excess of revenue it receives from “gate,” and TV revenue and from their corporate sponsors, etc.

To make the math easier, just assume Bowl X pays out 16.25 million dollars to each bowl participant. The participating school gets its travel expenses off the top, just say 250,000.00 for players, band, cheerleaders, etc.

The remaining 16 million paid to an SEC school is divided into 16 equal shares, or 1 million apiece. The participating school gets two shares, and the conference and each of the remaining 13 conference schools get one share, apiece, or one million dollars.

This has been the method I have read about for at least 15 years in the SEC.

The math suggested by rqarnold’s post is even a tad more profitable for direct participants, but I’m not sure if the standard SEC means of division trumps the math suggested by his article.

Either way, rest assured, direct Bowl participants such as Bama, Georgia and LSU, appearing in the high dollar playoff bowls, share the proceeds, but not truly equally.

Last edited:
Bowl revenue in the SEC has typically been divided into 16 “shares.”

“Gate and concessions and TV” has nothing (directly) to do with it: there were empty bowls during Covid, but the payouts to participants remained essentially the same.

Each bowl is a corporate entity, who receives the money from gate, concessions and TV, and from corporate sponsors. Irrespective of “gate,” the Bowl entity guarantees Bowl participants a fixed “payout.” This guaranteed payout can be researched on each bowls’ website months prior to the game. It is a fixed contractual amount. The bowl corporate entity bears the risk of paying out in excess of revenue it receives from “gate,” and TV revenue and from their corporate sponsors, etc.

To make the math easier, just assume Bowl X pays out 16.25 million dollars to each bowl participant. The participating school gets its travel expenses off the top, just say 250,000.00 for players, band, cheerleaders, etc.

The remaining 16 million paid to an SEC school is divided into 16 equal shares, or 1 million apiece. The participating school gets two shares, and the conference and each of the remaining 13 conference schools get one share, apiece, or one million dollars.

This has been the method I have read about for at least 15 years in the SEC.

The math suggested by rqarnold’s post is even a tad more profitable for direct participants, but I’m not sure if the standard SEC means of division trumps the math suggested by his article.

Either way, rest assured, direct Bowl participants such as Bama, Georgia and LSU, appearing in the high dollar playoff bowls, share the proceeds, but not truly equally.
Thanks 🍺

Reactions: The-Hack
Should’ve went to the Vegas Bowl, manned up, and played Oregon St. I don’t buy the travel excuse. They’re not traveling on old school buses for goodness sakes. MB wanted a lesser opponent, close to home, and hopes to blend in and hide with the plethora of bowls NY weekend or the UK/UL game. It was a weak move to hide the current state of the program.

KY residents can literally do a quick drive down to Nashville and eat shitty bar food any weekend of the year.

Should’ve went to the Vegas Bowl, manned up, and played Oregon St. I don’t buy the travel excuse. They’re not traveling on old school buses for goodness sakes. MB wanted a lesser opponent, close to home, and hopes to blend in and hide with the plethora of bowls NY weekend or the UK/UL game. It was a weak move to hide the current state of the program.

KY residents can literally do a quick drive down to Nashville and eat shitty bar food any weekend of the year.
I think it was more a matter of being around campus during recruiting and portal time.

Charter bus time to Nashville from Lex is prob 3.5 hr or so. Flight time to Vegas around 4 hrs. Minimal difference in time being away from campus imo.
It isn’t the time away, it’s when the time away is/was required. December 18 (today) begins a dead period for recruiting. Instead of spending the last weeks recruiting they would have had to fit in bowl practice, travel and contacting recruits.

Charter bus time to Nashville from Lex is prob 3.5 hr or so. Flight time to Vegas around 4 hrs. Minimal difference in time being away from campus imo.
You do realize they go to the bowl sites several days before. Las Vegas bowl is during prime campus visit time. Leary and Mertz visited this weekend. That doesn't happen if UK was in Vegas bowl. Music City Bowl is during dead period.

It isn’t the time away, it’s when the time away is/was required. December 18 (today) begins a dead period for recruiting. Instead of spending the last weeks recruiting they would have had to fit in bowl practice, travel and contacting recruits.
You do realize they go to the bowl sites several days before. Las Vegas bowl is during prime campus visit time. Leary and Mertz visited this weekend. That doesn't happen if UK was in Vegas bowl. Music City Bowl is during dead period.

Desperate times call for desperate measures I suppose. Can’t imagine it was much of an issue for Florida (top 10 class incoming) or any other top half of the SEC programs.

I guess this is expected. With so much current attention to the transfer portal and signing day just 6 days away seems here in Iowa we are getting little news on Music Bowl prep.

Current there are 40 different topics on Page 1 of Iowa's Rivals Premium subscriber site, and only 2 of the 40 topics are about the bowl game.

I know the current players and coaches are dialed in but the fans certainly don't seem to be. Guessing they won't be for at least another week until the national signing date happens.

Iowa faces some systemic problems that need at least partially solved. More partially solved than one new QB and TE, although that is a pretty good start. To a large degree this season was a let down. There is no escaping or denying this, and I rarely ever participate in bitching about the coaches, players or offense.

I'm not sure what the situation is at Kentucky, but anecdotally it seems to be something similiar.

Possibly the most interesting thing to watch so far this bowl season has been the Las Vegas odds due to opt outs, lack of motivation, etc. I've personally taken an odd interest in watching South Dakota State this post season.

As the game gets closer, there will be more interest. This said, I don't think either fan base views this game as a must win game. If Iowa wins, great. But it's not like if we played Florida and won. There would be joy in beating those mouth breathers again as it's been a while. This is an entirely different situation. There is respect and manners on both sides of this game. Also as you pointed out, I think on Iowa's side there are more critical issues being paid attention to currently. Possibly both schools. Others need to weigh in on that.

Finally, I just don't understand how Iowa is favored in this game. Iowa is starting a third string QB, and it's possible the four deep will play if the three deep doesn't work out. Actually, and based on KF's comments, we really don't know who is starting at QB. I suspect Iowa being favored is based on it has a better defense, or so the odds makers seem to think.

Nashville is a fun place to see a football game. The trip is an easy, or easier, trip depending where one is coming from. It won't be warm, but should be fun. The game itself is interesting to me from a more traditional perspective. Some future NFL talent on both teams will be playing.

Desperate times call for desperate measures I suppose. Can’t imagine it was much of an issue for Florida (top 10 class incoming) or any other top half of the SEC programs.
Dude, guarantee that if Florida had its pick, it wouldn’t have picked Las Vegas.
And then again there’s this thing called a payout. At only $2.9M it is $2.8M less than MCB.

Dude, guarantee that if Florida had its pick, it wouldn’t have picked Las Vegas.
And then again there’s this thing called a payout. At only $2.9M it is $2.8M less than MCB.

Yeah yeah the money. The real disappointment goes to Oregon St playing a 6-6 team with players opting out. The blowout was inevitable. Stronger team than Iowa for sure, would’ve liked to see how our D did against them.

Yeah yeah the money. The real disappointment goes to Oregon St playing a 6-6 team with players opting out. The blowout was inevitable. Stronger team than Iowa for sure, would’ve liked to see how our D did against them.
What does that have to do with UK? Why should UK have handicapped their own recruiting and take less money just so OSU could have a better opponent?

It’s been a long time where I haven’t been excited about an SEC vs. “B1G” matchup. Stoops and the football program are turds for this to be their preferred matchup. Didn’t think Stoopsy would stoop this low. Totally squatted down and took a crap on the fans’ heads.
Salty seems apropos. This obviously isn't an exciting matchup, but you seem to lack understanding of context. The only other bowl that wanted us was the Vegas bowl and it was during the final recruiting weekend and paid out half as much as the MSB. Nuance matters.

We could have easily chosen the Gasparilla Bowl. Much better time slot, primetime, no other games on, vs. a slew of opponents. Mizzou fought tooth and nail not to go to Memphis. Stoops and Mitch decided to hide behind the Sugar Bowl, UK/UofL, CFP, etc.
Are you dense? Gasparilla Bowl pays out about $1mm, whereas MCB pays out nearly $6mm. Glad you aren't in charge of budgeting, but you are definitely a prime candidate for Myopic in Charge.

Florida lost to us, finishing 6-6, and likely had little to no choice in the matter.

Someone, above, suggested UK is “hiding”by playing an ABC telecast game on December 31st, as opposed to an ESPN game on December 17th?

Really?

Check out the bowl TV ratings in mid-January!!

Partially incorrect: "Each bowl’s payout is given to the conference, and will later be distributed to the teams across the SEC. While each team receives a portion, the team competing in the bowl game earns a larger percentage of the payout." So teams that go to higher paying bowls earn higher revenue than teams going to lower bowls or not bowling at all.

Reactions: Freetaxreturn
So teams that go to higher paying bowls earn higher revenue than teams going to lower bowls or not bowling at all.
I did a response at the top of the page, about ten times longer, describing the method I’ve heard of for at least a decade.

Revenue from each bowl is divided into 16 shares, with the direct participant receiving two of the 16 shares, and the SEC and each of the remaining schools getting one share.

Essentially, if your bowl pays out twice as much as another, you double your money: not millions of difference, but an extra 100K ain’t chump change.

I've personally taken an odd interest in watching South Dakota State this post season.
These may well be words never uttered before?!?!?

Could this be called the “Brian Ferentz” Syndrome: spend two Saturdays watching Iowa’s offense, and you find yourself drawn to South Dakota State football?

[I know: we are about, there, ourselves.].

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: GolfHacker1
I did a response at the top of the page, about ten times longer, describing the method I’ve heard of for at least a decade.

Revenue from each bowl is divided into 16 shares, with the direct participant receiving two of the 16 shares, and the SEC and each of the remaining schools getting one share.

Essentially, if your bowl pays out twice as much as another, you double your money: not millions of difference, but an extra 100K ain’t chump change.
I read after I had already posted. Yours' was more detailed and correct.

Reactions: The-Hack
I read after I had already posted. Yours' was more detailed and correct.
I would love to see a ten year breakdown, to see just how much more Bama and Georgia have made by consistently being in the Play Offs.

And I’m not complaining. The method used is pretty generous.

The years we have gone Citrus, we have broken ahead of average in the conference. Last year, I found one source showing the Citrus at a higher payout than two of the PO games?!?!?!?

I guess this is expected. With so much current attention to the transfer portal and signing day just 6 days away seems here in Iowa we are getting little news on Music Bowl prep.

Current there are 40 different topics on Page 1 of Iowa's Rivals Premium subscriber site, and only 2 of the 40 topics are about the bowl game.

I know the current players and coaches are dialed in but the fans certainly don't seem to be. Guessing they won't be for at least another week until the national signing date happens.
What bowl game?

I don’t care. To me, the season ended with the Louisville game and as soon as they announced Iowa again. No reason to tune into that. Main players aren’t even playing.

So, no, I don’t care. Season ended. Stars moved on and for good reason.

These may well be words never uttered before?!?!?

Could this be called the “Brian Ferentz” Syndrome: spend two Saturdays watching Iowa’s offense, and you find yourself drawn to South Dakota State football?

[I know: we are about, there, ourselves.].
It's mind boggling how many games Iowa has managed to win since 2015 with Brian as the OC most of that time. Sadly it's been in spite of him. There's benefits to being your Dad's first born child when the Dad is the HC.

ADVERTISEMENT