ADVERTISEMENT

12 team playoff is a game changer for our program

PensacolaBlue

Blue Chip Prospect
Nov 26, 2022
What do we play for every year? An SEC championship and the playoffs. These two things are far away from our grasp and likely would never happen in our lifetimes because of programs like Georgia and Alabama. Secondary goals? Win as many games as possible and go to a meaningless bowl game. Kinda pathetic to be honest. If we win a Citrus Bowl over Notre Dame that’s playing with a depleted roster, does anybody care but a portion of our fans? Not in the least.

On the other hand, next year we’ll have a legitimate (albeit low) chance of doing something as a football program on a national scale that is meaningful. When you start talking about having 3-4 SEC teams in the playoff, that means there could be room for the Ole Miss and Missouri’s of the world. Doesn’t mean we’ll make one in the near or distant future, the SEC is only going to get better with TX and OK, but at least there’s a chance now.

Laugh if you want, but anything is better than the current state of college football, and it’s going to be great seeing some lesser programs in the playoffs playing meaningful games (even if the same teams win the whole thing in the end).

If we can put together a 10 win season again sometime, we have an excellent shot at being included in the playoffs. That is certainly a more doable task than going 12-0 and winning the SEC championship game, though still a very tough task considering the league. But the challenge is what makes it so special to be in this conference. The SEC is still murderers row even in down years. Someday we'll make the playoff and it will be the proudest moment many of us have ever experienced when it happens because of the extreme difficulty in getting there. You aren't given anything in this league. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

A future 7-2 SEC record seems far away to me. We haven't lost as few as 2 SEC games in a season in over 45 years. Best we've done under Stoops is 3 in an eight games season.

A future 7-2 SEC record seems far away to me. We haven't lost as few as 2 SEC games in a season in over 45 years. Best we've done under Stoops is 3 in an eight games season.
It's tough, sure, and it will take a better season than we've had since we were cheating in the 70s, but the task of making a playoff has gone from pretty much impossible to merely very difficult.

Yeah, getting to the 12-team playoff is the equivalent to a New Years 6 bowl game. That is the logical next step for this program, but it is a big step. They have had 2 9-3 seasons that was just outside the New Years 6 and probably would be just outside the 12-team playoff. It is possible if they can continue to recruit well and win in the portal.

Reactions: docholiday51

images

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT