ADVERTISEMENT

As Being Reported on SEC Now Is Ray Davis DEFINITELY SITTING Out The Bowl Game

While I agree then why don't players just quit during the season after we're eliminated from the division championship? Why wait til the regular season is over? Is a 7-5 season so much more important to the players than a 6-6 season? Using the bowl logic, it doesn't make any sense.

Some do.

Could you imagine, because it's coming, high school kids with scholarships and NIL to big name schools sitting out their high school playoff games? Sounds ludicrous, but that's exactly what these college players are doing.

If these trends continue the money will start to dry up for football at a much faster pace than it has. I know a lot of people that were fired up about getting into NIL but totally cooled on it after the opt outs last season. I care less and less each year already, but the opt outs are already really starting to affect my viewing of games.

It's just like the "draft first" mentality Cal has towards the basketball program. 5 years ago I'd have handed Ray Davis or Will Levis 50$+ for an autographed pic if they'd played in their bowl game, but that's chump change to them now, they don't care about the team or the program, and I no longer care about that kind of investment in people that aren't playing for love of the game and their team.

Some do.

Could you imagine, because it's coming, high school kids with scholarships and NIL to big name schools sitting out their high school playoff games? Sounds ludicrous, but that's exactly what these college players are doing.

If these trends continue the money will start to dry up for football at a much faster pace than it has. I know a lot of people that were fired up about getting into NIL but totally cooled on it after the opt outs last season. I care less and less each year already, but the opt outs are already really starting to affect my viewing of games.

It's just like the "draft first" mentality Cal has towards the basketball program. 5 years ago I'd have handed Ray Davis or Will Levis 50$+ for an autographed pic if they'd played in their bowl game, but that's chump change to them now, they don't care about the team or the program, and I no longer care about that kind of investment in people that aren't playing for love of the game and their team.
while the merging of big programs into super conferences will probably change that dynamic, currently with college football the season is over after 2 losses, and for many teams they can't afford a single loss. Playing for a New Years day bowl just doesn't mean as much now and will mean even less next year.

The perception of these bowls being meaningless sucks. It diminishes the sport for me, as that was something I always looked forward to every year. Bowl season was special

I'm losing interest in the players losing interest
That's why I, in the minority have always opposed anything beyond a 2 team playoff championship game. Others will argue that it isn't fair to leave certain teams out but no matter how many teams you expand it to, there will always be a team more two on the margin that can legitimate arguing they shouldn't have been left out. So adding more teams really doesn't accomplish anything IMO.

That’s coming.
no it's not lol. Players with NFL potential will continue to sit out a bowl game that only adds risk to their chances of being drafted if it doesn't provide them a chance to shine or it a huge chance for the team and even then, you will still see it. I don't see boosters or anyone NIL related throw out much money for a game that doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things, so the NIL aspect really has nothing to do with this. Most bowl games outside of the top few are more for the future than they are the current season anyway. Those extra practices to develop your younger players is more of an incentive than anything if you aren't in a top bowl and its a chance for your team to have fun to end their season and perhaps win on their way out.

• Haha
Reactions: gojvc and catben
That's why I, in the minority have always opposed anything beyond a 2 team playoff championship game. Others will argue that it isn't fair to leave certain teams out but no matter how many teams you expand it to, there will always be a team more two on the margin that can legitimate arguing they shouldn't have been left out. So adding more teams really doesn't accomplish anything IMO.

Every other sport has a legit playoff to determine its champ. College football division 1s method was archaic as every other level of football has a playoff as well.

We would have missed out on several of the best teams winning the title the past 9 teams if we had limited it to 2 as well.

Can agree to disagree of course.

Coaches sit out bowls all the time. Don’t know why people mostly get mad about the players doing it.

Aren’t the coaches “pussies” too? Aren’t the coaches “selfish” too? Aren’t the coaches “quitting on the team” too?

Bowl games are meaningless are supposed to be a reward for the players. Why would anyone expect him to play or be upset if he doesn't. If I were a coach I would use the game to get ready for next season and focus on playing a bunch of young guys to get them experience.
I hate this attitude. How can a chance to win another game be meaningless? I really don't get it. I won't hate Ray Davis or anything but it does tarnish him a bit for me.

Coaches sit out bowls all the time. Don’t know why people mostly get mad about the players doing it.

Aren’t the coaches “pussies” too? Aren’t the coaches “selfish” too? Aren’t the coaches “quitting on the team” too?
Huh? What coaches are sitting out bowl games? Are you talking about ones that have taken other jobs? My guess would be that is the school's choice in most cases.

Huh? What coaches are sitting out bowl games? Are you talking about ones that have taken other jobs? My guess would be that is the school's choice in most cases.
The ones that take new jobs and not coach in bowls. Elko ain’t coaching Duke nor are any of the assistants he takes with him. Oklahoma will have a new OC for theirs since Lebby is now at Miss st.

That’s not the schools choice at all. They don’t prefer to have an interim coach. The guys who get jobs don’t want any part of the bowl since they got to hire a staff and recruit elsewhere.

Heh. Good point. What if all the fans who quit on the season after Mizzou didn’t get to be mad when all the players quit at the same time.
the season would be so different had we won against Mizzou and USCar

football doesn't allow the same margin of error as basketball. You gotta win the games you are supposed to win

of course the flipside, had UK won 9, Stoops would be waking up in College Station this morning

I dont see a future NFL RB in Ray , nice young man . But IMO you play the games the team gets assigned to play .. this setting out stuff leads to glorified scrimmages like last years debacle,. Who attends these meaningless games ?
I believe you are wrong. Davis looks every part of an NFL back. Sees holes well, effective catching the ball, and is solid at picking up blitzes.

May not be a every down back but he will have a role on a team.

Reactions: ManitouDan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT