ADVERTISEMENT

Does The Bowl Game Seem As Back Burner For KY As It Does Currently For Iowa?

rucker4

Freshman
Dec 8, 2021
I guess this is expected. With so much current attention to the transfer portal and signing day just 6 days away seems here in Iowa we are getting little news on Music Bowl prep.

Current there are 40 different topics on Page 1 of Iowa's Rivals Premium subscriber site, and only 2 of the 40 topics are about the bowl game.

I know the current players and coaches are dialed in but the fans certainly don't seem to be. Guessing they won't be for at least another week until the national signing date happens.

I guess this is expected. With so much current attention to the transfer portal and signing day just 6 days away seems here in Iowa we are getting little news on Music Bowl prep.

Current there are 40 different topics on Page 1 of Iowa's Rivals Premium subscriber site, and only 2 of the 40 topics are about the bowl game.

I know the current players and coaches are dialed in but the fans certainly don't seem to be. Guessing they won't be for at least another week until the national signing date happens.

My prediction and guess is that it will not be well attended by UK fans, nothing like the Citrus Bowl last year, everyone thinks it is a really bad matchup, and not that Iowa is not good, just that we hate the rematch angle plus the lack of offense by both teams makes it a poor choice for a bowl game. Almost no one in Lexington (where I live) is talking about it.

It’s been a long time where I haven’t been excited about an SEC vs. “B1G” matchup. Stoops and the football program are turds for this to be their preferred matchup. Didn’t think Stoopsy would stoop this low. Totally squatted down and took a crap on the fans’ heads.
WTF are you talking about? Might be the dumbest comment I have read on here in a month.

Honestly, I'm not too worried about the bowl game. I hope the staff uses the game and the practices leading up to it to really work with the younger guys and get them a lot of reps and playing time during the game. I want to see what our true Freshman QB can do. His arm looks like a live one during warmups, but that is all I have seen. It will be interesting to see how he does in a real game against a very good defense.

I think we are more focused as a fanbase on the portal and NSD coming up than we are on the bowl game. You guys have had solid portal additions so far with Michigan's QB and TE. I think both fanbases are more looking towards the future than this current season's completion.

Pretty much

Absolutely. I'm still interested to watch because hey, it's football, but whoever wins isn't gonna have bragging rights or anything. Both of us fielding Swiss cheese rosters.

Its hard to even get worked up about the young QBs and RBs who will be playing (for both teams), because it is apparent that if the staff can do anything about it in the portal, those kids won't be playing much this fall.

A good chance to pick up an 8th win, keep our bowl streak alive. The season didn't turn out like we thought but if we are playing why not play to win. I think fans are taking a bit too much of a "sour grapes" approach to this game.
Perhaps that is specifically because the team does not seem to be playing to win? All the important pieces are skipping it.

You know Kentucky played Iowa on 1/1/2022 right? This was UK’s preferred destination and opponent. Not hard to comprehend there Patty Patty.
Huh? Nashville, Memphis or Las Vegas…unless you wanted to drop down to Shreveport or Birmingham. Memphis wanted Arkansas. Of those options Nashville is the best given the timing of Las Vegas. A Florida bowl wasn’t an option.

Reactions: satcheluk
Both schools would be wise to use bowl prep and the game as a springboard to Spring practice and therefore a springboard to the '23 season IMO.
Agree. Let the SRs play (if they want), give their farewell to the fans. But try to give more reps to the younger guys you see stepping up next year.

Its hard to even get worked up about the young QBs and RBs who will be playing (for both teams), because it is apparent that if the staff can do anything about it in the portal, those kids won't be playing much this fall.
Iowa's QB for the next two years has already been locked up in McNamara. The RB for Iowa is solid currently.

Reactions: Tskware
We basically play two scrimmages that day. Bowl games are glorified scrimmages now and Cal has told us the regular season doesn't really matter in college basketball. I'll be watching both and rooting for the Cats but I won't let it ruin my day if we lose.

• Love
Reactions: deep3
Reporter after the game: "Mark, what were you thinking with those playcalls?"

Mark Stoops: "I had a dream where Mike Leach came up to me in a gas station and told me to unleash my inner pirate."
Stoops continued . . . “He then handed me a bag of candy corn, suggested my daughter elope instead of a doing a church wedding, and commented that bull dogs look fearsome, but would not stand a chance against a motivated alligator, so long as the Gator was close to water more than 3 feet deep.”

Reactions: KYExtemper
Considering it seems UK selected the MCB to be close to home and be able to focus on recruiting I’d say yes.

Reactions: satcheluk
Huh? Nashville, Memphis or Las Vegas…unless you wanted to drop down to Shreveport or Birmingham. Memphis wanted Arkansas. Of those options Nashville is the best given the timing of Las Vegas. A Florida bowl wasn’t an option.
We could have easily chosen the Gasparilla Bowl. Much better time slot, primetime, no other games on, vs. a slew of opponents. Mizzou fought tooth and nail not to go to Memphis. Stoops and Mitch decided to hide behind the Sugar Bowl, UK/UofL, CFP, etc.

Both schools would be wise to use bowl prep and the game as a springboard to Spring practice and therefore a springboard to the '23 season IMO.
This post here tells me how we have moved our expectations as a program under Stoops. This game used to be our Superbowl! Stoops is worth every dollar we pay him!

Reactions: The-Hack
Your RB will be the difference in the game. UK lacks a P5 level RB without Rodriquez.
Kaleb Johnson is Iowa's true freshman RB and he's a good one. The backup RB #4 Leshaun Williams is a different kind of runner-- very quick and fast and not as big. Have to believe those two will get lots of carries in the game.

I live in Cedar Rapids and I cant even get Iowa fans to talk about this bowl game. They are just as disinterested as KY fans are about this game.

Reactions: Tskware and rucker4
I live in Cedar Rapids and I cant even get Iowa fans to talk about this bowl game. They are just as disinterested as KY fans are about this game.
Yes, the transfer portal and recruiting talk has clearly been the priority here it seems.

As far as fan attendance and interest for the Music City bowl, I believe most fans in Louisiana have the exact amount. Nobody gives a damn about it and the best part of the Citrus bowl is the cajuns trying to pronounce Purdue 🤣🤣🤣🤣 they think it’s French and never heard of it but it’s funny as hell 🍺

ADVERTISEMENT