ADVERTISEMENT

Do you drink and drive?

Aug 9, 2017
Crazy question I know because some states and rules are different. And having one drink and eating dinner is normal, I assume. But I think most would admit, we'll all over the stupid limit.

Yes or no?

I wonder if you'll be allowed to drink in self-driving cars. Probably not but you probably should be.

It would be like everyone having their own private limo.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Is an experienced drunk driver more dangerous or less dangerous than a 20-year old driver who won't stop texting, tweeting, and using the phone while driving?

Honestly the age of the texting driver almost doesn't matter anymore. See lot more soccer mom c-words or Chrysler 300 driving b-words swerving all over while their fat sausage fingers texting than I do some teen/young adult.

To me, I think it's going to get to the point where texting/driving is more dangerous than DUI. That's f'ing absurd to even be a question but alas, it's here.

We have absolute evidence that alcohol impacts both the mind and body. Even one drink has a physiological affect. That said, IMO, if a driver is pulled over for any type traffic violation and the attending officer detects the presence of alcohol use, DUI should be added to the charges. The reality is this...If you've been drinking and you drive, no matter how much you've consumed, you are under the influence.
Some will argue that one situation is no worse than another but that's moot. Driving under the influence of ANYTHING should be dealt with harshly.

Honestly the age of the texting driver almost doesn't matter anymore. See lot more soccer mom c-words or Chrysler 300 driving b-words swerving all over while their fat sausage fingers texting than I do some teen/young adult.

To me, I think it's going to get to the point where texting/driving is more dangerous than DUI. That's f'ing absurd to even be a question but alas, it's here.
IMO, technology that disables cellphones while cars are in operation should be installed in all vehicles.

Did it, unknowingly, around 2007 or 2008. Was at a TTORA Takeover event on Black Mt. in Harlan... somebody broke out some moonshine. At some point in the night, I moved my rig back down the mountain from one cabin to another, maybe a few hundred yards. I do not remember doing it and I can only assume my drunken mind did not equate being on trail with being behind the wheel, b/c I am, and always have been, a stickler against that sort of thing.

I've since had to give up alcohol due to health reasons.

IMO, technology that disables cellphones while cars are in operation should be installed in all vehicles.

Not a fan of that. While I don't like gov't intervention in most cases, I would prefer T&D be treated as a much more serious offense rather than punish those that are responsible. Besides, I don't think the technology could be implemented to do that. Cell phones OS's are pretty easy to alter, considering half of them are based on open source Android.

I do think something has to give. My road rage since moving away from Atlanta has practically vanished except for the occasional POS endangering mine or someone else's life because they think their text or post can't wait.

Reactions: ukfbfan

I should have expanded and you're right, a couple of months ago I passed a woman on I-24 just outside Nashville who was going under the speed limit in the passing lane while f'ing on her phone.

I was trying to start a sincere debate.

Reactions: catlanta33
Being that it has been proven that texting and driving are as dangerous as drinking and driving, the penalties should be similar.

Which gets to the safety aspect and potential legality of police, emts. And others using dash mounted computers while in motion.

This is not hyperbole: if I had to choose to share the road with someone who has a blood alcohol level of .10 or someone glued to their cellphone, I'm taking the person who has been drinking every single time. Obviously that goes out the window if someone is incredibly intoxicated, but a person who is driving under the influence is at least more likely to be paying attention to what they are doing.

Both are wrong and put other people at danger but both are also incredibly common. Kind of stupid that one behavior has very harsh penalties while another is basically tolerated.

I've never heard of anyone being pulled over for texting and driving anyway.

After i open the 3rd/4th beer, no driving. Just last night at dinner i had 2 24oz drafts in about 1.5 hours. I would not drive, wife drove. I do not think i could live with myself if a injured/killed a innocent person with such stupidity.

Texting and driving should have the exact same punishment. It is a very serious problem.

Thank you Big Brother. I'd love to make a long car ride without my Apple Music. My kids would really hate not being able to use their phones in the backseat of said trip just because the vehicle was in motion.

Thank you Big Brother. I'd love to make a long car ride without my Apple Music. My kids would really hate not being able to use their phones in the backseat of said trip just because the vehicle was in motion.

Remember back when there were huge public safety campaigns to get people to not talk on the cellphone while driving?

Now the message is that you're being irresponsible if you don't pick up the phone and call someone rather than texting behind the wheel.

Reactions: TruBluCatFan
I think the consequences of both actions are equal. Texting seems like it would be a bigger problem than dui because of accessibility.

There is a phone in most pockets. The numbers overwhelm the situation.

I rarely drink and even more rare that I get drunk. It's even more rare than that for me to drink and get drunk at somewhere other than my living room. But I can assure you I'm not staying at anyone's house.

A couple of beers or a couple glasses of wine with a meal and I'm fine to drive.

Absolutely not. Not even after 1 drink or a couple of beers. I've picked my kids and their friends up many a late night/early morning and driven them home to keep them from doing it. I have a couple of people I work with that do it every week and I have said something to them several times but they don't care. My former neighbor had a daughter killed in a head on collision the summer before her senior year. The driver was drunk and had just been charged that March with his 3rd DUI. This was about 20 years ago. I see the guy that murdered her every six months or so around town. It's a shame he's alive has kids and is living and he never gave my neighbors daughter the chance to do the same.

After i open the 3rd/4th beer, no driving. Just last night at dinner i had 2 24oz drafts in about 1.5 hours. I would not drive, wife drove. I do not think i could live with myself if a injured/killed a innocent person with such stupidity.

Texting and driving should have the exact same punishment. It is a very serious problem.

Pretty much my standard as well. I might have two beers while playing a round of golf, then maybe one more in the clubhouse. And I mean Coors Lite, not the craft beer with 2X the alcohol. Any more than that, I am not going to risk hurting myself/someone else.

[laughing]

Had to run out to meet a customer and this neck in a jacked up truck was going apeshit on the 4 lane road. Then I saw why, some middle aged c-word in her new Beamer texting in the left lane and I thought this dude may end her right then and there. And of course, she changed nothing of her behavior nor did she move out of the way.

I just wonder for how long this goes on before people start getting shot, wrecked or dragged from their vehicles and beaten. And if any of the aforementioned were to happen, can't say I would feel bad for them.

Put your GD phone down and drive you miserable, life-endangering POS f-tards.

What roads are you people driving on? That definitely factors in. If you can make it from dinner to your house without ever exceeding 35 miles an hour on city streets, that's a little bit different than taking highways or 55 mph country roads.

In the name of anonymous honesty.....

About 3-4 times a week after work I go to the 19th hole at my club. There's a group of us that either play a quick 9 or play a game of Golden Tee (I know, I know). I always have either 2 or 3 beers doing either activity and drive the 5 minutes home going through the neighborhood. 25MPH speed limit.

I literally do not think twice about it.

A few times a year I may drive after having more than 3, depending on the roads I'll be on. On those rare occasions, I'm paranoid AF.

I would like to have an obstacle course or contest or something to see what level my BAC would need to be before I reach the driving abilities of stereotypical bad drivers (Asians, etc.) or people texting.

We played drinking games a lot like beer pong, suicide (or whatever the hell others call it where you throw a ping pong ball at beer cans across the table), etc. You don't get good at those games without training yourself to have great accuracy and reaction time while impaired.

Reactions: LordEgg
Not in a long time. There were times in college and in my 20s I had no business behind the wheel. Thank God I never killed anyone or went to jail. But I rarely drink much when I go out anymore; couple beers or glasses of wine and that's it.

I'm not as strict as some people who won't drive if they've had anything, but I don't drive if I think I'm over the limit. When I was younger I'd drive when I was probably over the limit but felt "sober enough." That was dumb.

<this space intentionally left blank so UKO can find an article that says drinking and driving should be legal and India>

Reactions: B.B.d.K.
ADVERTISEMENT