ADVERTISEMENT

Do you drink and drive?

Provided all the time that people have on their commutes, on the road, texting and driving is more likely to become a more accepted form of transacting commerce in today's economy. All the laws in the world are going to stop at and all I can see happening is that the laws are the reduced or eliminated because it's just too accepted. Hate me all you want, but I see it all going that way.

And BTW I was just wondering. Not supporting doing it. Topic came up at dinner last night. Group of people had a private party for someone's birthday. Everyone that left that room was over the limit in Kentucky I'm positive, some extremely drunk and they all drove.

And I'm talking 30-40 yr olds. I just thought it was funny most had used valet parking yet no one used an Uber or anything like it to get home.

Thank you Big Brother. I'd love to make a long car ride without my Apple Music. My kids would really hate not being able to use their phones in the backseat of said trip just because the vehicle was in motion.
uh....why don't you talk to your kids? What's your solution for idiots that insist upon using cellphones while they are driving??

What if you are a passenger?
That would be unfortunate. Your suggestion for dealing with the problem? Personally, I would like it if cellphones were disabled while a vehicle is moving. I recall when we didn't have to be glued to a phone and we found something to pass time. In fact, it was a lot more enjoyable than being in a vehicle with no one saying a word because each is in his own little cellphone world.

Last edited:
That would be unfortunate. Your suggestion for dealing with the problem? Personally, I would like it if cellphones were disabled while a vehicle is moving. I recall when we didn't have to be glued to a phone and we found something to pass time. In fact, it was a lot more enjoyable than being in a vehicle with no one saying a word because each is in his own little cellphone world.

Exactly, Ram. That's why i read the newspaper while driving. America too dependent on fancy gadgets when at the wheel.

So, now that we've addressed that....What is the solution for the problems caused by use of cellphones while driving?

Wish I knew. It is a problem. But difficult to crack down on because the officer has to see it.

Punishment needs to be severe. One thing I'd do is anyone under 18 caught texting and driving loses license till 18. I'd be ok with 21 instead of 18.

Wish I knew. It is a problem. But difficult to crack down on because the officer has to see it.

Punishment needs to be severe. One thing I'd do is anyone under 18 caught texting and driving loses license till 18. I'd be ok with 21 instead of 18.
Sounds like a logical consequence. I'd find it interesting if they could use technology to find out if someone was on a phone at the time of an accident.
I was passed on the interstate last week by a teen or twenty-something female who had to be driving at least 85 (I was driving 75). When I looked over, her head was down, looking at her phone ....while she was passing me.

As for the original post: As far as I'm concerned, a person should not be driving while "under the influence" of even one beer if there's a possibility he might come upon my wife, kids, grandkids while he is driving.

Absolutely not. I've been pulled over way too many times for speeding to think I could get away with something like that. I also would never want to be arrested and have that on my record and cost me a job.

A buddy of mine got a DUI for sleeping in the backseat of his car during the winter (had the keys turned on so he could stay warm). That followed him around for years. Apparently you can't go to Canada if you've had a DUI in the last five years.

Besides, I prefer a couple of beers max and enjoy doing it at home. I don't drink to get drunk anymore. Too old to handle the hangover.

quote-why-drink-and-drive-if-i-can-smoke-and-fly-bob-marley-131-57-04.jpg

Drinking and driving is the epitome of selfishness. Give all the reasons and excuses you want but it mostly comes down to "This is what's convenient for me me in this moment". Uber...cab... friend... whatever. There's just no reason for it.

From 17-22: At least once a week. Also drove under the influence of most drugs. :(

Hallucinogens make for an interesting journey, uppers made cruise control a necessity, pot caused me to obey all traffic laws because of paranoia. Alcohol was the one where I felt the least under control physically. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Youthful exuberance and the feeling of invincibility. Luckily I never hurt anyone else or got caught.

I haven't considered driving intoxicated 15 years. I don't drink a lot (or do any drugs) anymore and when I do I have a permanent DD because my wife swore off alcohol years ago when it caused a near fatal reaction with one of her prescription meds.

As for the phones, if you text and drive, you're an asshole. I keep mine in my console and don't answer calls or texts until I reach my destination or pull over somewhere. I got T-boned in 2015 by a C-word in a Tahoe who was too busy texting to notice she was running a f'n stop sign on a side street into the main drag where she hit me. I wasn't hurt, but if I would've had a passenger they might've been.

Last edited:
I think most of us did when young. In fact I don't believe you if you said you didn't.

But my how times have changed. Story from when my dad was in HS. Got pulled over drunk as shit. Instead of going to jail local cop called another officer, gave my dad a ride home with the other cop driving his truck home. I've heard tons of stories like this all over Kentucky back in the day. Some I find unthinkable with today's laws.

No. If I'm going to go out drinking just uber or lyft and don't take the car out at all. Capitalism once again doing more than the government.

Reactions: blubo
Back in the day I used to do it all the time. I'm not talking about buzzed, I'm talking da-runk. Many mornings I'd wake up and wasn't able to even remember driving home. Never got a DUI. I even had a cop follow me for 5-6 miles on the Interstate one night and I was hammered.

Those days are gone. I won't even drive to the grocery store if I've even had 1 drink, and it's 2 blocks from the house. I just walk now, no reason to chance it. Well that and I grew the Fvck up and realized just how much damage I could do some poor, unsuspecting soul.

I do, but I am much more careful than I am when I'm sober.

When I drive sober, I find myself not paying attention to driving as much as I should.

To me, texting while driving is much more dangerous, because your eyes are not on the road.

Reactions: crpoore
I think drinking and driving is better than texting and driving. At least drinking and driving is done primarily at night, where I have a much lower likelihood of having my children out on the road. Texting and driving is really pissing me off, and it happens out in front of my kids' school about every day.

Reactions: blubo
I think drinking and driving is better than texting and driving. At least drinking and driving is done primarily at night, where I have a much lower likelihood of having my children out on the road. Texting and driving is really pissing me off, and it happens out in front of my kids' school about every day.
Totally agree.
Almost every time I'm driving on the highway, I notice a vehicle swerving all over the place, and when I pass them they're texting every time.

Reactions: crpoore and blubo
For as much of a booze bag as I am, pretty good about not drinking and driving. I put a limit at 2 or 3 drinks over a set number of hours if I'm going to drive, keeping my BAC well below 0.08. After that I use Uber, go to a bar in walking distance, crash, or have a friend pick me up.

I generally like to live in an area where I can walk to a bar/pub or at the very least take a cab for next to nothing. That way I stay out of trouble and at worst, fall into some bushes.

Uber is so cheap and convenient, there's just no excuse.

I also agree on the texting while.driving sentiments.

I don't even mind paying for an uber. It's the going to pick my truck up the next day that I hate. I swear my hangovers are worse than others bc I don't leave my bed after a night out.

My guess is.... If around 55 or older... hell yeah to the question....
But you younger guys couldn't drive worth a damn under the influence and ruined it all for us seasoned folk.... :beer::fistbump:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT