ADVERTISEMENT

Do you drink and drive?

I don't even mind paying for an uber. It's the going to pick my truck up the next day that I hate. I swear my hangovers are worse than others bc I don't leave my bed after a night out.
Not sure how old you are, but if your hangovers are that bad, then you're drinking way too much.

I decided around age 40, after I couldn't get out of bed one day after a night of excessive drinking, that I was going to stick to just beer and wine. I have been intoxicated since then, by never to the point I couldn't get up the next day. Actually, I still enjoy a cold beer and good wine, but I never set out to get drunk anymore.

Reactions: crpoore
Has anyone tried using a home breathalyzer? Seems like one could be really handy.

I bought a breathalyzer a few years ago online. I would take it with me if I knew I was going to have a couple beers at the local bar. I generally have about one beer every hour or more. Before I would leave, I used the device. My standard was .05. Above that and I didn't drive until it reached that or below. Even then it was a short 2 mile trip to home on my motorcycle. Not one time did I ever measure .08 or above. I did hit .07 once and I waited about 45 minutes and had some coffee before I left. It read .04. I haven't used the device in a long time.

Reactions: UKGrad93
Not sure how old you are, but if your hangovers are that bad, then you're drinking way too much.

I decided around age 40, after I couldn't get out of bed one day after a night of excessive drinking, that I was going to stick to just beer and wine. I have been intoxicated since then, by never to the point I couldn't get up the next day. Actually, I still enjoy a cold beer and good wine, but I never set out to get drunk anymore.

Ladies and gentleman...introducing....

Buzz Killington!

I drove drunk/high so many times in my younger days, I am damn lucky I am not dead or in prison. I would get home, pass out on the couch or in the floor, wake up and then wonder how in the hell I got home. I gave that life style up (except for getting high) when I met my wife 29 years ago. I hardly drink at all now. If I do it is at home, I will not get behind the wheel of a vehicle even if I have had one beer. I am not about to do something stupid like that now and ruin the life that my wife and I have built together and possibly the lives of others..

Let me start by saying I'm really a hypocrite now from where I was 15-20 years ago. Being that I log a shit tin of miles now, I see more and more shittier and shittier drivers. More oblivious hens cruising speed limit in the fast lane. Old men raging behind the wheel because you're going the same speed as the car in front of you but they want to pass everyone because they are entitled to the road.

But, I got to this hypocritical point from learning the hard way. The last time I royally f'd up was when I was 21 and got a DUI. A small miracle no one died that night and in the grand scheme of things, the best 7k I ever spent.

Had a neighbor wanting the D. We had planned to meet when I got back from partying with my buddy. Had about 5 rum and cokes at the titty bar. Horny and fired up, I was driving 115 from the titty bar up 75 to Kennesaw. Passing on the shoulder, weaving and completely out-of-control. It took the officer a few miles to catch me. He was notified from another officer going southbound and saw my dumbass.

I remember nearly every time I was wasted and maybe blacked out once or twice. Anyway, they called my roommate to come get my car. I was less than a mile from our apt. I fell asleep in the holding cell and woke up to my roommate staring daggers through my soul. Yeah...he drove drunk to a DUI arrest to get my car and they arrested him too. Other than killing myself, the friend with me or someone else, that was both my luckiest day and worst night ever.

Now I sit around sipping beer and have a wife to ferry me around if we go out. Had my days of partying too hard. More to lose too so I see no reason to risk anything for a couple hours of fun anymore. Now I am on the other side hoping a young Catlanta doesn't end me before they grow out of their stupid.

I only road rage when someone comes close to wrecking me. Other than that, I simply get away from the bad drivers and hope they don't kill an innocent family. Drive I4 enough and surviving is like winning the lottery these days. Stay safe, gaffots.

Haven't in many years and probably pretty fortunate I never hurt anyone. Rolled a car in the sticks on red wine one night, no other cars involved. Cut my leg and was concussed. Won't even think about driving after drinking now. Toking is another story, I never drive anywhere without taking a toke or two first.

This is not hyperbole: if I had to choose to share the road with someone who has a blood alcohol level of .10 or someone glued to their cellphone, I'm taking the person who has been drinking every single time. Obviously that goes out the window if someone is incredibly intoxicated, but a person who is driving under the influence is at least more likely to be paying attention to what they are doing.

Both are wrong and put other people at danger but both are also incredibly common. Kind of stupid that one behavior has very harsh penalties while another is basically tolerated.

I've never heard of anyone being pulled over for texting and driving anyway.
I wouldn't every single time.

The last time I royally f'd up was when I was 21 and got a DUI. A small miracle no one died that night and in the grand scheme of things, the best 7k I ever spent.

Had a neighbor wanting the D. We had planned to meet when I got back from partying with my buddy. Had about 5 rum and cokes at the titty bar. Horny and fired up, I was driving 115 from the titty bar up 75 to Kennesaw. Passing on the shoulder, weaving and completely out-of-control. It took the officer a few miles to catch me. He was notified from another officer going southbound and saw my dumbass.

I remember nearly every time I was wasted and maybe blacked out once or twice. Anyway, they called my roommate to come get my car. I was less than a mile from our apt. I fell asleep in the holding cell and woke up to my roommate staring daggers through my soul. Yeah...he drove drunk to a DUI arrest to get my car and they arrested him too. Other than killing myself, the friend with me or someone else, that was both my luckiest day and worst night ever.
C'mon man, don't leave us hanging -- you nail that chick when you sobered up and got out of the slammer or what?

I've never been behind the wheel drunk. For one thing I smoked pot from ages 13-25ish daily, always hated alcohol. Have to force myself to drink it occasionally.

One problem with drinking and driving isn't just the danger, it's the charges. With a DUI on record, I hope you have a college degree and an office job. You've basically eliminated yourself from a large chunk of the workforce. Any kind of demanding market where mobility is necessary and you're out of the hiring pool. This isn't 1979 and employers will not overlook it.

I've never been behind the wheel drunk. For one thing I smoked pot from ages 13-25ish daily, always hated alcohol. Have to force myself to drink it occasionally.

One problem with drinking and driving isn't just the danger, it's the charges. With a DUI on record, I hope you have a college degree and an office job. You've basically eliminated yourself from a large chunk of the workforce. Any kind of demanding market where mobility is necessary and you're out of the hiring pool. This isn't 1979 and employers will not overlook it.
You're absolutely right.

A DUI conviction will hurt in many ways. You will lose your job in many cases. It will keep you from getting a job in many cases. Not to mention the cost, and insurance premiums going thru the roof.

C'mon man, don't leave us hanging -- you nail that chick when you sobered up and got out of the slammer or what?

Nope. She was more pissed at me than my boss was. Perhaps the worst part of the aftermath. BBC and all.

I had 3 oktoberfest and drove the golf cart down to my lake to fish. Had 2 more and drove back to the house. About to drive back down there and check the catfish lines. Hope I don't wreck or hit a deer. It's easier if u shut one eye

A buddy of mine got a DUI for sleeping in the backseat of his car during the winter (had the keys turned on so he could stay warm). That followed him around for years. Apparently you can't go to Canada if you've had a DUI in the last five years.
This is the kind of stuff that pisses me off. I know someone who had this happen to them as well. In fact, you can get charged even if the car isn't running. The person is obviously trying to do the right thing, but they get slammed anyway. A DUI conviction can practically ruin you. Call me crazy but I believe driving under the influence should involve some actual driving.

This is the kind of stuff that pisses me off. I know someone who had this happen to them as well. In fact, you can get charged even if the car isn't running. The person is obviously trying to do the right thing, but they get slammed anyway. A DUI conviction can practically ruin you. Call me crazy but I believe driving under the influence should involve some actual driving.

I think I read that if you even have your keys in your hand that they can get you for DUI. That's absurd.

It's a huge cash grab.

Reactions: crpoore and Ugoff
I think I read that if you even have your keys in your hand that they can get you for DUI. That's absurd.
Thats true. They like to call it "intent", which is absurd on its face. If the person is sleeping in the car, then obviously their "intent" was NOT to drive drunk. Charge them with PI if you must, but certainly not DUI. Of course no politician is going to speak out on this or they'll be smeared as soft on drinking and driving by the DUI industry.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT