ADVERTISEMENT

Dirty little secret.

Actually don’t hate the man
Never have.
But there is absolutely nothing I could say to change your stance so I won’t even try and that’s perfectly fine.

I have my own thoughts as to why there is a lack of financial contributions . And that IS directly related to Calipari’s performance
Just my opinion
And you would be correct

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
I find it hard to believe that stoops went out there and bought the top qb transfer yet our basketball team is going off scraps.

Didn’t the head of the basketball team proclaim to the world that Kentucky is a basketball school?

I mean that's one player. It's not like UKs football recruiting classes are tops in the SEC or anyone thinks we are winning the SEC this coming season.

UK signed 4 stud players in basketball. Not sure why they can't sign some transfer from Dakota state or wherever.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
I mean that's one player. It's not like UKs football recruiting classes are tops in the SEC or anyone thinks we are winning the SEC this coming season.

UK signed 4 stud players in basketball. Not sure why they can't sign some transfer from Dakota state or wherever.

Cal's history of handling five star freshmen vs. the rest of his players is well established.

Actually don’t hate the man
Never have.
But there is absolutely nothing I could say to change your stance so I won’t even try and that’s perfectly fine.

I have my own thoughts as to why there is a lack of financial contributions . And that IS directly related to Calipari’s performance
Just my opinion
You might be right, but grassroots isn’t the issue. Its business. Can you drop 100k on a single player for ads and get your money back in the Lexington market? One maybe? or two? This was predictable day 1 of NIL. Bottom line is we simply could not afford Oscar or Dickinson.

It’s easy to blame Cal. Maybe that’s best. The real issue is much more difficult to fix.

Reactions: megablue
Don't know but they have a big money guy named Booth, who out-bid Duke for the original rules of basketball, then built KU a building off Allen Fieldhouse for them. It was on a 30 for 30 episode. He could be the well they go to.

I don’t really know how or where the NIL money comes from, but just off the top of my head the Booth guy you mention is worth over $5 Billion, a KU family that owned Russell Stover chocolates sold it a few years ago to Lindt Chocolates for about $2 Billion, and a local KC company Cerner was just sold to Oracle for @ $28 Billion and one of the founders was a KU graduate. He also owns the Sporting KC soccer team. Again, I don know how NIL works, but those are a couple big alumni.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
Cal has UK by the balls and is holding on with both hands. Will be interesting to see how long he keeps his grip knowing he's lost the support of a significant number of boosters and fans. He hasn't been the same since the contract and it's evident in the way he is conducting himself with the media, Barney, and fans. POS.

That’s on Barney and cal for not evolving. Also it doesn’t help that most of the
“Nil” money goes to Cals salary. The central banks of the world can’t afford cal and players. He is like a black hole for our resources. I mean if he made self money there would be alot more to go around
No NIL money goes to Cal’s Contract. What a bald faced lie.

I don’t really know how or where the NIL money comes from, but just off the top of my head the Booth guy you mention is worth over $5 Billion, a KU family that owned Russell Stover chocolates sold it a few years ago to Lindt Chocolates for about $2 Billion, and a local KC company Cerner was just sold to Oracle for @ $28 Billion and one of the founders was a KU graduate. He also owns the Sporting KC soccer team. Again, I don know how NIL works, but those are a couple big alumni.
Maybe we need to give Bezos and Musk honorary degrees.

Reactions: kmohawk
Who's gonna be KYs donors. Top 5 in ky
1-Whiskey kids luv booze..
2-Horses lots of tradition in the state but doesn't pay out for us.
3-Home of the Corvette again doesn't do shit because GM is like so what.
4-Meth and Fentalyn can't really capitalize on that.
5-Not much left but Sports and it's not gonna pay for itself apparently.
I'm not sure what the hell is going on but I'm gonna be ready by October to watch us burn this the rest way down because we damn sure don't see anyone putting this out. College Basketball 🏀 gotta love it.
We need the dealers of the state to start a collective.

Reactions: BGCATFAN2012
Has anyone else here been to Tuscaloosa?
it sucks

I've have felt that UK would not compete when it comes to NIL in the long run because of a number of reasons.

People seem to think that because Kentucky doesn't have a pro team that the entire state is just going to get behind throwing money for NIL at players.

I'm not sure it works that way, will business owners in Paducah and Ashland throw money at a kid? Is there a real payoff having a UK player rep your car dealership 5 hours from Lexington? Even if you wanted a UK kid, are you willing to throw 6 figures at him for a 20 second endorsement?

and when a single kid is asking for $4m? and you need 6 more to just compete?

Let's put that in perspective. UK's entire recruiting budget in 2018 was $1.86m

the other side of that coin is, ok, as a local businessman and UK alum, I'm now giving 6 figures to a UK athlete for an endorsement, but in the past I'd give low 6 figures to UK in a donation. My advertising budget wasn't setup to support funding $4m athletes

UK isn't getting both from me.

Last edited:
For whatever reason, it's always basketball that has these youngsters thinking it's their meal ticket. It's never football.

May be because football is largely a team sport. Guys are more bought in to playing for the team rather than themselves. Just My 0.2

Stewart Horejsi, another big donor. 2.7 Billion

Reactions: kmohawk

Yes but the only reason we signed that transfer was because if NIL, those freshman were coming for the old Cal and the Wagner connection.

The new game will be $$$$$$$

If the university doesn’t figure it out they will be left behind.

For whatever reason, it's always basketball that has these youngsters thinking it's their meal ticket. It's never football.

Probably the fact that they have to be there at least 3 years for football. Have to earn your spot or at least wait a few years to cash in. Basketball is immediate payouts for most kids it seems.

Kentucky businesses and donors cannot fund the NIL money to compete with most power schools. We don’t have the backing to guarantee large deals….and the future is bleak for improvement.
The pie is too small.
Football team is having no problem with it.

Reactions: Jont0805
You might be right, but grassroots isn’t the issue. Its business. Can you drop 100k on a single player for ads and get your money back in the Lexington market? One maybe? or two? This was predictable day 1 of NIL. Bottom line is we simply could not afford Oscar or Dickinson.

It’s easy to blame Cal. Maybe that’s best. The real issue is much more difficult to fix.
Always an excuse. Kyexcusefan, Calexcusemaker, blindlyfollowcoach…. All of those would be good usernames for you. I bet you’re a big Joe Biden fan too. SMH

Reactions: Farsight
It is absolutely true. One of the things that recruits, IIRC, have said in the past is there is not a lot to do in Lexington. If you take away the gozillion dealerships on New Circle, and the hospitals and Lexmark, what is there? Not meaning to belittle the city, there doesn't seem to be a lot of entertainment revenue in Lexington.
What about the horse farms and the distilleries. They should have some money. I don't know but I would think they could fund some NIL $$$.

EDIT: I posted this before I saw another post about these plus some others. I wonder also about how the OAD's here are affecting the possible donors, etc. Now if they were a guaranteed top 5 or 10 in the draft, maybe I would want them to advertise for me. But to just be here for a year (or less, in some cases), a lot of people wouldn't even know (or care) who they are. Now take a Kentucky born and bred kid, that might be different. I would prefer a KY kid to advertise for me. But that's just my personal opinion. But Cal doesn't seem to care for KY kids much. Anyway, all of it is a mystery to me. And I am just so tired and weary of Cal and his games.

Last edited:
The thing is everybody that has money is not necessarily into sports, UK or otherwise. They have other uses for their money.
Exactly. I have added to my post since you commented. But I totally agree with you.

Always an excuse. Kyexcusefan, Calexcusemaker, blindlyfollowcoach…. All of those would be good usernames for you. I bet you’re a big Joe Biden fan too. SMH
You are so pathetic you can’t discuss basketball and resort to pretty boy politics? You tell me, just how big a NiL check you think Cal can write? Let’s have it kycrapslinger.

What about the horse farms and the distilleries. They should have some money. I don't know but I would think they could fund some NIL $$$.

EDIT: I posted this before I saw another post about these plus some others. I wonder also about how the OAD's here are affecting the possible donors, etc. Now if they were a guaranteed top 5 or 10 in the draft, maybe I would want them to advertise for me. But to just be here for a year (or less, in some cases), a lot of people wouldn't even know (or care) who they are. Now take a Kentucky born and bred kid, that might be different. I would prefer a KY kid to advertise for me. But that's just my personal opinion. But Cal doesn't seem to care for KY kids much. Anyway, all of it is a mystery to me. And I am just so tired and weary of Cal and his games.
Me, too. The kids who would run through walls to play for Kentucky don't seem to exist anymore. If they're any good they're trying to go somewhere else. I'm inclined to say that these kids have resources regarding other schools at their fingertips, but you've hit the nail on the head. Cal does not represent the heart of this program. From many angles. And kids and their parents don't look up to him to Cal or UK like they did when we were kids. 😢

Reactions: susan2361
Gary Parrish just said on a podcast that he keeps hearing from someone with the UK program about how much they lead all other teams in NIL. If true, I don’t see it.

I think he has a valid point. If you're investing money in a player, hoping to see a deep tourney run and get more exposure due to that player, wouldn't you expect more than what UK has delivered?

You are so pathetic you can’t discuss basketball and resort to pretty boy politics? You tell me, just how big a NiL check you think Cal can write? Let’s have it kycrapslinger.
You’ve been running around from thread to thread making excuses. Like usual

I think he has a valid point. If you're investing money in a player, hoping to see a deep tourney run and get more exposure due to that player, wouldn't you expect more than what UK has delivered?
He’s going from thread to thread making excuses. My post to him without going through them all

Kentucky businesses and donors cannot fund the NIL money to compete with most power schools. We don’t have the backing to guarantee large deals….and the future is bleak for improvement.
The pie is too small.
Just proves what I’ve been saying the whole time when all this “pay the players”NIL talk was going around and everybody was like, “damn right about time- NCAA are tyrants……”

I said then the first thing that is going to happen is the money will make the colleges and their history irrelevant and that’s what you’re seeing already year two. Even giants of the game like UK don’t matter anymore it’s all about the money and opportunity to make some. The college game is dead.

Reactions: megablue

Good post, but there is about issue yiu haven’t raise. Say you have 50 schools with big NIL pockets. They all want 2 recruits in the top 30. You are one of the schools , but you want 6 or 7. You have to out bid 30 schools, 6 or 7 times. They are wanting 2, you want 6. Your pockets have to be much deeper or you will fail.

This is going to get worse. The entire paradigm has changed. Bitching about Cal doesn’t change a thing. The numbers are harsh. Lexington is a small market.

The pie is too small.
I just made the exact point in another thread. If there is any chance to save collegiate sports, as we've always known it, changes must be made, like capping NIL benefits to create an equitable and level playing field. The argument was that student athletes needed some extra walking around money. As usual, without some constraint, it's now out of control and in this form it will kill the game. I don't care what SCOTUS has ruled ... another path will emerge as a work around or prepare to lose what you love. Same goes for OAD and Portal as huge problems. Changes are needed to preserve the sanctity of the game. Set the rules, recruit the players to play in exchange for a free education, the players sign a waiver, agreeing to abide by the rules, limited NIL and go from there. If the NCAA gets in the way ... we can rid ourselves of the NCAA and create a compliant oversight organization for all member schools. The way it is now will not work and isn't working now.

Maybe we need to give Bezos and Musk honorary degrees.
Did Florida Atlantic, San Diego state, Creighton and Gonzaga rely on NIL money to get far in the NCAA tournament???? Did Kansas state have higher rated players than we did? Keep making excuses.

NIL is only part, IMO a small part, of what ails UK basketball right now, lazy coach, rigid set in his ways AD, indifferent college president, passive board of trustees, with which do you wish to start, obviously the coach, but he only got in a position to operate like this because of decisions,or lack there of, of the people above him.

I agree with one aspect of what you say. NIL has and will continue hurting college sports. You have to adapt with how you build rosters and other programs are doing much better at that than we are.
Actually, that’s pretty naive. This is far from stable. What worked this year might not work next. Coffers will dry up, others fill up. In its current state, one would expect the biggest markets to prevail. Eventually some regulation will be imposed by either the NCAA or the federal government. Nobody has witnessed this sort of debacle in history. Just wait for organized crime to make a play…… That’s coming.

Actually, that’s pretty naive. This is far from stable. What worked this year might not work next. Coffers will dry up, others fill up. In its current state, one would expect the biggest markets to prevail. Eventually some regulation will be imposed by either the NCAA or the federal government. Nobody has witnessed this sort of debacle in history. Just wait for organized crime to make a play…… That’s coming.
With no cap on it, I can understand where you’re coming from. I was kidding with you about Joe Biden.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT