ADVERTISEMENT

Dirty little secret.

I don't know. I'm not even going to pretend to know how much in terms of NIL UK has vs other big time bball schools lol.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I would agree with the OP's statement. KY doesn't have any hope of competing with the likes of Texas, TAMU, LSU, Georgia, etc. Luckily those schools are focused on football. But, neither can Dook, Kansas or UConn, etc. compete either.
UK basketball will be OK for the immediate future but, unless something is done to level the playing field a gulf will start to form between the programs in wealthy areas and the rest of the college sports world.
Like him or hate him, Nick Saban talked about this very thing earlier this week.

Kentucky can’t fund guaranteed NIL deals to compete with most power basketball schools.
Plain as the nose on your face.
It is absolutely true. One of the things that recruits, IIRC, have said in the past is there is not a lot to do in Lexington. If you take away the gozillion dealerships on New Circle, and the hospitals and Lexmark, what is there? Not meaning to belittle the city, there doesn't seem to be a lot of entertainment revenue in Lexington.

all american rejects GIF

It is absolutely true. One of the things that recruits, IIRC, have said in the past is there is not a lot to do in Lexington. If you take away the gozillion dealerships on New Circle, and the hospitals and Lexmark, what is there? Not meaning to belittle the city, there doesn't seem to be a lot of entertainment revenue in Lexington.
I don't know that kids care a lot about "things to do". Have you seen Lawrence, Kansas???
Kids are wrapped up in the small worlds of their teammates, girlfriends and college party scene. There are some cool things in and around Lexington but, most are geared toward a older crowd.
I think they would overlook any lack of entertainment for a nice six or seven figure paycheck. And really, how long are the elite level recruits going to be in Lexington anyway?

Kentucky businesses and donors cannot fund the NIL money to compete with most power schools. We don’t have the backing to guarantee large deals….and the future is bleak for improvement.
The pie is too small.
Absolutely factual!!! Welcome to NIL!!

Lexington market just too small.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
Arkansas is the sleeping giant in terms of NIL. They already have a basketball arena named after a Walton. Then you have billionaire Jerry Jones (and his heirs who all went to Arkansas as well), Tyson Chicken, JB Hunt trucking, a lot of money in the Northwest Arkansas area.

Don't underestimate the wealth in and around Lexington. A lot of the major horse farms are owned by families that were very wealthy 100 years ago, and they are even more wealthy now. The Hancock Family (Claiborne Farm) comes to mind.

Last edited:
Lololololol
Oh Lord I’m done

Now we can blame NIL funding (or lack thereof) for Calipari’s failings

Sorry @3Eye
that statement isn’t directed towards you, but there are some who will completely take this and run with it
Just curious. Who do you think actually writes the checks? Hint. They do not work for KY.

Who's gonna be KYs donors. Top 5 in ky
1-Whiskey kids luv booze..
2-Horses lots of tradition in the state but doesn't pay out for us.
3-Home of the Corvette again doesn't do shit because GM is like so what.
4-Meth and Fentalyn can't really capitalize on that.
5-Not much left but Sports and it's not gonna pay for itself apparently.
I'm not sure what the hell is going on but I'm gonna be ready by October to watch us burn this the rest way down because we damn sure don't see anyone putting this out. College Basketball 🏀 gotta love it.

I suspect this could be a problem for UK. Kentucky needs to lean into its large and rabid fanbase, to counter the fact that it's a smaller state/city without the business potential of schools like Miami or USC.

Won't be able to compete with billion dollar companies toe to toe.. but if you rally up all the small business owners across the state, who likely care more about UK basketball than said billionaires in other states.. you can make it work. Strength in numbers I guess.

UK should have a department dedicated to establishing these connections between the basketball program and local business. Some student works contacting companies to see what they'd be willing to do for NIL. Maybe a car dealer gets advertising for $20k to go to a player.

Arkansas is the sleeping giant in terms of NIL. They already have a basketball arena named after a Walton. Then you have billionaire Jerry Jones (and his heirs who all went to Arkansas as well), Tyson Chicken, JB Hunt trucking, a lot of money in the Northwest Arkansas area.

Don't underestimate the wealth in and around Lexington. A lot of the major horse farms are owned by families that were very wealthy 100 years ago, and they are even more wealthy now. The Hancock Family (Claiborne Farm) comes to mind.
There is money,plenty of it but those who have it aren't releasing it due to the failures the program has seen and continues to see.9-16..St Peters and 2nd round exits with no SEC regular season or tourney titles makes one hold onto that money...want change,hit em where it hurts,the wallet

Don't forget Bill Clinton

And many of these other college towns have so much going on in them. Some schools we're competing with are in towns that make Lexington look really awesome so not totally buying that reasoning. Now if you're talking California schools, Vegas, NYC, Miami, etc. that might make a little more sense but that's just a handful of schools fro all of the NCAA. Hell, Arkansas is drawing in lots of transfers, who thinks Arkansas is a happening place?

And many of these other college towns have so much going on in them. Some schools we're competing with are in towns that make Lexington look really awesome so not totally buying that reasoning. Now if you're talking California schools, Vegas, NYC, Miami, etc. that might make a little more sense but that's just a handful of schools fro all of the NCAA. Hell, Arkansas is drawing in lots of transfers, who thinks Arkansas is a happening place?
Has anyone else here been to Tuscaloosa?

What are the Coal money people doing ? did they stop being UK fans once Coal in kentucky took a major hit? they had so much money they could donate to UK a century and still be filthy rich.
There is money,plenty of it but those that have it aren't releasing it...if one wants change then you hit them where it hurts the most...

The point is…some will use the lack of NIL funding (if there truly is a lack) as an excuse for Calipari’s failing
He’s failed spectacularly without NIL being involved
Point is that is a variable we have never faced. I think if people insist uselessly bashing the guy, they should be doing so from a moderately informed position. New coach and new AD will not fix a lack of funds to go 10 deep. This is not the game yiu remember. It’s is semiprofessional without contracts or draft constructs. Top drawer athletes are completely mercenary now. Seething hate of John Calipari will not change that.

Last edited:
Reactions: CGblue
Kentucky businesses and donors cannot fund the NIL money to compete with most power schools. We don’t have the backing to guarantee large deals….and the future is bleak for improvement.
The pie is too small.
That’s on Barney and cal for not evolving. Also it doesn’t help that most of the
“Nil” money goes to Cals salary. The central banks of the world can’t afford cal and players. He is like a black hole for our resources. I mean if he made self money there would be alot more to go around

I wonder if there's data on this.
What players who went to certain schools got in NIL.
I'd be curious to know the exact figures.

Reactions: G-PIP
Not sure this even makes sense. Lexington isn’t NYC. Most college towns aren’t. Ok. There’re is Miami and UCLA. Using your logic St. John will dominate. Lexington has a shit ton to do for a town its size. You can’t even get a hotel room this weekend. You’re just not thinking this thru. If size of town mattered it would have mattered before NIL. Your logic fails.

Having said that we will never compete in big time NIL money. Never. I said it two years ago.

I find it hard to believe that stoops went out there and bought the top qb transfer yet our basketball team is going off scraps.

Didn’t the head of the basketball team proclaim to the world that Kentucky is a basketball school?
For whatever reason, it's always basketball that has these youngsters thinking it's their meal ticket. It's never football.

Yeah, the City of Lexington is the second largest in the SEC behind Nashville the last time I checked. Knoxville and Gainesville are close to Lexington in population as well. Plenty of stuff to do in Lexington.

Gainesville is about 1/2 the population of Lex. If that. Outside of UF there is nothing to do there but sweat.

Point is that is a variable we have never faced. I think if people insist uselessly bashing the guy, they should be doing g some from a moderately informed position. New coach and new AD will not fix a lack of funds to go 10 deep. This is not the game yiu remember. It’s is semiprofessional without contracts or draft constructs. Top drawer athletes are completely mercenary now. Seething hate of John Calipari will not change that.
Actually don’t hate the man
Never have.
But there is absolutely nothing I could say to change your stance so I won’t even try and that’s perfectly fine.

I have my own thoughts as to why there is a lack of financial contributions . And that IS directly related to Calipari’s performance
Just my opinion

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT