ADVERTISEMENT

Dirk Minnifield

Oh, and anyone who remembers or has seen clips of his dunk against Miss. St. where he was looking down into the basket can't doubt that Dirk belongs in the discussion for UK's most athletic guard ever. Belongs in the discussion, but how you pick him over dwight anderson and john wall, as others have already mentioned, is a mystery to me

He did have a solid career and probably got the most out of his ability. He was an outstanding athlete and a good, but not great player. He was in a bit of a tough spot taking over the point from Macy but I'll take his 52% FG and 77% FT stats any day. He was in a structured system and would've done much better in a system like Pitino ran.
No disrespect to you, but he was better than a good player. In all honesty, he was one of the better guards that ever played here.

I’m not sure how old you are, but it seems as though a lot of posters here think that basketball started right after they began to pay attention to it.

Reactions: mktmaker
No disrespect to you, but he was better than a good player. In all honesty, he was one of the better guards that ever played here.

I’m not sure how old you are, but it seems as though a lot of posters here think that basketball started right after they began to pay attention to it.
One of the older posters, I would assume. Been watching since the 1966 season and have seen a lot. Dirk was a good player but I think he was held back a bit by the offensive system and pace of the games back then. Like I said before, I'll take his 52% FG, 77% FT and 1069 points any day at UK.

Oh, and anyone who remembers or has seen clips of his dunk against Miss. St. where he was looking down into the basket can't doubt that Dirk belongs in the discussion for UK's most athletic guard ever. Belongs in the discussion, but how you pick him over dwight anderson and john wall, as others have already mentioned, is a mystery to me
Those two were just on different levels. Never saw anyone like Anderson and always wondered how great he would have been had he stayed. Also never heard the actual reason he left but I sincerely believe that we would've had another title had he stayed. He was just a freakish athlete.

'84 - absolutely; it was that team's weak link
'86 - no. Hardin, Davender and Blackman didn't need any help in the backcourt
Agree in principle, and the '86 team was one of my favorites. However, since Coach Sutton ran an offense primarily focused on guard play I can't help but wonder how his abilities would have stood out as opposed to the system under Coach Hall.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT