ADVERTISEMENT

Dirk Minnifield

Dirk was a heck of an athlete. But to say that he was a better athlete than Dwight Anderson & John Wall. I don't know about that.
Wall and Anderson were on totally different levels. Dirk was an outstanding athlete but not on their level.

Reactions: UK90
Attended Morton one year when Dirk was there, they had open gym before classes started, got schooled by him many times.
Is Morton the school close to Chevy Chase? I played in a church league in 1977 and I believe it was at Morton.

My opinion:

I thought Dirk was one of the most talented -- and forgotten -- guards I have seen at UK.

But even as a kid, he had little direction...and therefore little discipline.

He could have had a long NBA career.

Here is the wikipedia entry:

Minniefield began regularly using marijuana at age 14. Minniefield, who has been sober since the early 1990s, told a group of top high school prospects in 2007 that "My younger kids have never seen me take a drink. They don't know the daddy the older kids know. They know a totally different guy." (Minniefield was a father of three children by the time he graduated from high school, and has two children from his current marriage[1]).

His drug problem continued into college. He admitted to having carried a vial of cocaine with him regularly during his senior year at UK, and frequently took hits of the drug before games.[1] Most notably, he admitted in 2007 that he and several teammates had gone to a park in Knoxville, Tennessee the night before Kentucky's showdown with Louisville in the 1983 NCAA Mideast Regional final and smoked marijuana. He also said that he smoked more marijuana after returning to his hotel room.[2]

As fate would have it, he had the ball late in the game, with UK clinging to a narrow lead. He went into the lane and threw up a tentative shot that UofL center Charles Jones blocked. The Cardinals went on to force overtime and then dominated the extra period, winning 80-68. He would later say about the incident,

“ It was sad. Because that was the moment. You only have certain moments in your life. You have to seize your moment. I missed my moment. I don't know if the marijuana had an impact. I'm not a doctor. Being a player, I'm going to say that (it did)... Any other time, I would dunk that ball. I know I was depressed about it for probably the first two years after college. It played a part in my drug use, the depression. Being from Lexington, I had to listen (to complaining fans) more than anybody else would.[2]

Minniefield's drug use eventually contributed to the early end of his NBA career. He returned to Lexington, but wound up serving a year in jail after writing bad checks and violating probation on those charges. His first wife divorced him and he left Lexington "penniless". He found his way to the John Lucas Drug Abuse Center in Houston; Minniefield would say of Lucas, "I finally found that person who talked my language. He could see past the outside facade I learned to put up." For his part, Lucas said, "I call him one of my children. He's delightful. He's helped me as much as I helped him."[1]

After treatment, Minniefield worked as transportation manager—according to him, "A better word is van driver"—for the San Antonio Spurs while Lucas was coach. He would go on to be a head coach/general manager in the United States Basketball League (USBL) for the Miami Tropics (a team that Lucas owned) and serve as the Spurs' strength and conditioning coach. When Lucas left for the Philadelphia 76ers, Minniefield took a job as a drug counselor with the NBA to enable him to stay in Houston.[1]

I hope Coach Cal has reached out to him to give guidance to our players.
Agree that he had a rough upbringing. I've always wondered if he would've made a difference playing PG on the 1984 and 86 teams.

Is Morton the school close to Chevy Chase? I played in a church league in 1977 and I believe it was at Morton.

Off Tates Creek Rd, not far from CC IIRC. I transferred from Southern, had an Uncle that taught at Morton. I remember DM just tearing up Southern whenever they played, he was a one man show. Morton was an eye opener for a white bread like me, more blacks attended there than were at Southern.

OP . . . your post, my Big Blue Friend, only indicates that you never saw Dwight Anderson play !

Go, 'Cats !

He's NOT a big blue friend Rip. Maryland Terp until he wore out his welcome with them, became a UNC board fanboy spewing many posts shitting on UK, our players, our coaches, and us fans... just an FYI.

Off Tates Creek Rd, not far from CC IIRC. I transferred from Southern, had an Uncle that taught at Morton. I remember DM just tearing up Southern whenever they played, he was a one man show. Morton was an eye opener for a white bread like me, more blacks attended there than were at Southern.
Thanks, looks as if I was thinking about the wrong side of town. I played at a middle school close to Chevy Chase and can't recall the name. Really a nice gym and a tough league at that.

Did U of L really block the Minnifield lay up attempt late in the DG because it still hit backboard and rim; heck it almost dropped.

Did U of L really block the Minnifield lay up attempt late in the DG because it still hit backboard and rim; heck it almost dropped.
Looked as if Dirk was surprised that Jones got over that fast and tried to put it up high. It wasn't like he missed a wide open layout.

Lol okay.

He's right. Dirk's athleticism tends to get exaggerated because of how that one crazy dunk against Missisippi State has been replayed over and over through the years. But that dunk was an outlier, one of those "holy shit, where did that come from?" moments, but it's not the sort of thing he did regularly.

We've had other guards (Wall, Anderson Bledsoe, DA, etc.) that I think displayed breathtaking athleticism on a more consistent basis than Dirk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ky grandpa
Coming from one of the worst “know it all posters” of all time

Don't know about "all", but the guy does know more than the vast majority here. MJ has always been one of the smartest and most knowledgeable posters on this board.

And the tone of your post suggests that you're probably just someone who's bitter over having had his ignorance exposed by him in the past.

LOVED dirk when I was a kid - Charles hurt and others in those ~ 81 to 83 teamsI remember watching “the white shadow” back then and thinking that Thorpe reminded me of Dirk

Looking back he didn’t quite seem to completely realize his potential at UK ....some of that was Halls coaching for guards - some of it was the nature of the game then - some of it was probably Dirk

Those early 80s teams never quite finished well either...I remember two back to back first round NCAA losses even though we had been top 10 or 5 all season ((UAB and MTSU)))

My aunt helped Dirk in school as well

Don't know about "all", but the guy does know more than the vast majority here. MJ has always been one of the smartest and most knowledgeable posters on this board.

And the tone of your post suggests that you're probably just someone who's bitter over having had his ignorance exposed by him in the past.[/QUOTE Who the hell are you...his mother?

LOVED dirk when I was a kid - Charles hurt and others in those ~ 81 to 83 teamsI remember watching “the white shadow” back then and thinking that Thorpe reminded me of Dirk

Looking back he didn’t quite seem to completely realize his potential at UK ....some of that was Halls coaching for guards - some of it was the nature of the game then - some of it was probably Dirk

Those early 80s teams never quite finished well either...I remember two back to back first round NCAA losses even though we had been top 10 or 5 all season ((UAB and MTSU)))

I always thought that Dirk and Dickie Beal were in similar situations under Coach Hall, being that both were players better suited to a more "run and gun" offense as opposed to the structured offense at the time. Dirk never really lived up to his hype and I agree that some of it was coaching combined with the more deliberate pace of the college game back then. Not a knock on Coach Hall at all but games back then had become predictable and just boring when UK played in the SEC, especially on the road. Dickie Beal was probably one of the most improved players during his time at UK as during his first couple of seasons he couldn't throw a ball in the ocean.

I always thought that Dirk and Dickie Beal were in similar situations under Coach Hall, being that both were players better suited to a more "run and gun" offense as opposed to the structured offense at the time. Dirk never really lived up to his hype and I agree that some of it was coaching combined with the more deliberate pace of the college game back then. Not a knock on Coach Hall at all but games back then had become predictable and just boring when UK played in the SEC, especially on the road. Dickie Beal was probably one of the most improved players during his time at UK as during his first couple of seasons he couldn't throw a ball in the ocean.

Those eighties teams regularly scrimmaged the Yugoslavian national team and often hammered them?

But would lose on the road to strong LSU and Auburn teams - Tennessee and the stokley jinks and a couple of one off ole miss or Florida games....

I remember Beal as a fifth year player (?) running point (occasionally dual point w/minnifield...but normally Macy and master were the two guards)

Beal was like a floor general for that 1984 final four team but was a lot quicker before his knee (?) injuries

Loved both

Those eighties teams regularly scrimmaged the Yugoslavian national team and often hammered them?

But would lose on the road to strong LSU and Auburn teams - Tennessee and the stokley jinks and a couple of one off ole miss or Florida games....

I remember Beal as a fifth year player (?) running point (occasionally dual point w/minnifield...but normally Macy and master were the two guards)

Beal was like a floor general for that 1984 final four team but was a lot quicker before his knee (?) injuries

Loved both
Yes, they did beat the Yugoslavian National team badly and I was there to see it. Big difference was that the game was played under international rules with a shot clock. UK was not hindered by the "slow down and pack it in" type of game they would see later, especially in the SEC. The international games were fun to watch. Beal was just terrible his first year at UK and didn't see much PT simply because he could not throw a ball in a washtub. I can recall Coach Hall stating on one of his weekly shows that a guard in the SEC has to be able to hit free throws consistently, especially on the road. However, he worked at his game and improved a lot from his freshman to senior season and did lead the 1984 team to a Final Four.

Reactions: CastleRubric

Remember those late season losses as well. Both of those teams looked simply worn out at the end of the season. UAB was actually a decent team but should have never beaten us in the tournament. UK had played them earlier in the season at Rupp and it was a fairly close game. The Middle Tennessee game was just strange to begin with as UK shot only two FT's the entire game. Team just didn't look motivated to play even though a matchup with UL would have been next.

Remember those late season losses as well. Both of those teams looked simply worn out at the end of the season. UAB was actually a decent team but should have never beaten us in the tournament. UK had played them earlier in the season at Rupp and it was a fairly close game. The Middle Tennessee game was just strange to begin with as UK shot only two FT's the entire game. Team just didn't look motivated to play even though a matchup with UL would have been next.

Love pursuing the collective memory banks of UK fans

Truman Claytor was another guard for Coach Hall that I vaguely recall
He was before Beal and Minnifield and I THINK- ran point for the 78 title team?

Seems that he was a bigger / stronger guard than the others and was more in the mold of Liggins / Harrison twins than Minnifield / Wayne turner smaller guards

Love pursuing the collective memory banks of UK fans

Truman Claytor was another guard for Coach Hall that I vaguely recall
He was before Beal and Minnifield and I THINK- ran point for the 78 title team?

Seems that he was a bigger / stronger guard than the others and was more in the mold of Liggins / Harrison twins than Minnifield / Wayne turner smaller guards
Clayton was about 6'-1" but he was smooth. Really good penetrator and outside shooter. Another player whose skills were held back by the style of play during that era. However, Clayton and Macy combined for one of the best backcourts in UK history and winning the 1978 title pretty much proved it. Passed Clayton in a stairwell one day while going to class and he was complaining to Chris Gettlefinger about an upcoming weight training session. Apparently, he wasn't big on lifting weights, lol.

Clayton was about 6'-1" but he was smooth. Really good penetrator and outside shooter. Another player whose skills were held back by the style of play during that era. However, Clayton and Macy combined for one of the best backcourts in UK history and winning the 1978 title pretty much proved it. Passed Clayton in a stairwell one day while going to class and he was complaining to Chris Gettlefinger about an upcoming weight training session. Apparently, he wasn't big on lifting weights, lol.

I gotta say, it kinda amazes me how one can profess to know all these details about a player, yet not even know his name.

Claytor, not Clayton.

I gotta say, it kinda amazes me how one can profess to know all these details about a player, yet not even know his name.

Claytor, not Clayton.
Ever hear of a typo? And for some odd reason it kept coming up with a "n" on the end. I know very well about Truman Claytor.

Ever hear of a typo?

Sorry, my friend, but the typo excuse only works if you just do it once.

If you'd only done it once, I would've ignored it. But Instead you did it over and over EVERY time you referenced him. That suggests someone who simply doesn't know what his name was.

Last edited:

Claytor, not Clayton.

There was another forward on those late 70's teams that I don't recall so well either --- I think he was in the 'mold' of Charles Hurt too -- LeVon Williams I think

Was he like.a 'do the dirty work' kind of player and not a scorer?
Intimidator?

The first UK team I really remember latching onto as a whole TEAM was probably that 1983 team that lost to UL

So Levon Williams, Robey, Phillips, Givens were all a little before the time where I was really getting old enough to dig in deeper etc

If you'd only done it once, I would've ignored it. But Instead you did it over and over EVERY time you referenced him. That suggests someone who simply doesn't know what his name was.
False, and I could care less what you did or didn't ignore. Since you know so much tell us what Claytor's two best games were in a UK uniform.

There was another forward on those late 70's teams that I don't recall so well either --- I think he was in the 'mold' of Charles Hurt too -- LeVon Williams I think

Was he like.a 'do the dirty work' kind of player and not a scorer?
Intimidator?

The first UK team I really remember latching onto as a whole TEAM was probably that 1983 team that lost to UL

So Levon Williams, Robey, Phillips, Givens were all a little before the time where I was really getting old enough to dig in deeper etc
Lavon Williams was a freshman on the 1978 team that won the title. Did see some minutes that season but was better known for one of the reserves that started the second half against Florida State in the NCAA tournament when Hall was incensed at his starters. He made a couple of key defensive plays and a put back slam that kept UK in the game. He did resemble Hurt but Charles came later on. Another reserve was Chuck Alexsinas who also got some playing time during the 1978 season as a reserve. He was a starter the next season but suddenly left after the first semester and transferred to UCONN.

Also, since you're obviously portray the image that you know more than anyone on the board, which you don't, tell us what Truman Claytor's pre-game ritual was.

Wait don't go yet! Dunk that ball Dirk! Draw the foul. I was there. So nerve racking. Devastating loss for me personally ...living in Lou and fighting the fight. We were double digit underdogs but played so hard and well. Deserved to win that game in regulation. However, we have hammered them ever since!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT