ADVERTISEMENT

Devin Booker

Originally posted by caneintally:

Originally posted by WildMoon:

Sorry but if we can get Booker 10 3 pt attempts per game he will make between 5-8 of them as long as they are in the offense. He has proven that . Why would not want him taking more ? He is the best shooter i have seen in college since Step Curry . Doesn't miss basically if he is squared up. And yesterday when no one could buy a basketball but him he should of shot 12-15 IMO . we win going away if that happens. Now i want them in the offense not just chucked up there like Aaron did alot yesterday .
basketball isn't as simple as what you say.

First of all, he hasn't proven that to be a volume scorer. So, i'm not sure where you think it's proven.

Another thing is, basketball is more than just making threes. Andrew draws more fouls because of his attacking. If you take that away, we would never had double bonus yesterday. (this is also true with Aaron, but he shot WAYYY too many threes yesterday.) (get points from just getting defensive rebound!!!)

Another thing is, when one person becomes volume scorer, whether we win or not becomes much on one player. Reason we continue to win while having different players play bad, is because we have other players step up. Again, this means not having booker chuck 10 threes per game. That's just bad strategy.

Also, missing threes are more likely to create transition offense for opponents. When you have 1 - 3 get a defensive rebound, that generates immediate offense. You rather have 4 or 5 get the rebound secure, and then give it to PG. Which we hope the PG comes back to get the ball back.

Defensive assignments becomes much easier, when one player becomes volume scorer. I would have liked Aaron to not take as many shot and shared the ball better. He should have attacked and dished. At least drawn a foul. That's why his steals were great, except the one he got completely blocked. Other two he at least got fouled.

Finally, one of the main key in basketball is dominate the paint. Get the bigs in foul trouble. None of that happens when you just shoot three. I rather have Aaron/Booker shoot 4 - 5 threes per game at most. Not 8 - 10, that's just too many. Why do you think Duke lost today? The idiots shot 27 threes....made only 7. They had nice offensive flow going, and had a lot of time left. Instead of attacking, they started chucking threes and rushing attempts. That's why they lost. Look at us, they attacked us. We lost our bigs!!! WCS and Towns both. You kidding me??? That's exactly what WE want to do to THEM. Taking out their best players is a AMAZINGLY important strategy...

Think about this. If we play Duke and get Okafor in foul trouble. What chance do they have in beating us?
Moon you are great , intelligent poster and all of your points are legit but i think , as i said , in the offense , getting him as many 3s as possible wouldn't hurt us . One of our main problems is that we guys who take horrible 3's that are not in the offense ( well not really just the last 2 games ) and Booker rarely does this . But all your points are valid and you might be right .
The only problem with that is we can't hit a lay up if we get one. 5-6 more shots from Booker isn't going to disrupt our offense and so long as he's this hot we need to take advantage of that and put up some points.

Andrew needs to stop shooting 3s all together and let Booker shoot a couple more. Could you imagine Booker playing for Pitino in the earl 90s?

Originally posted by WildMoon:

Moon you are great , intelligent poster and all of your points are legit but i think , as i said , in the offense , getting him as many 3s as possible wouldn't hurt us . One of our main problems is that we guys who take horrible 3's that are not in the offense ( well not really just the last 2 games ) and Booker rarely does this . But all your points are valid and you might be right .
I agree that i prefer Booker shooting a three. But, I just rather neither shoot so many and attack the paint.
I agree with this IF the refs ever called the fouls but in games like Ole Miss and A&M where the refs were HORRIBLE . No b/c we will be fouled and miss the shot .

Heck with the platoon system or whatever you want to call it. Booker and Lyles, who starts, has to be on the floor. Booker is not only a dead eye shooter from deep, he can create his own shot. Lyles is money from inside the arc.

I don't know about the rest of you but it looked to me like Booker was feeling it yesterday, with the exception of those 2 rushed shots he was splashing the net. The problem is he is required to create his own shot. I do like the ball to go into the paint before a 3 is launched but Booker should have been given the opportunity to shoot more yesterday. Aaron's shot is just off right now and has been for a while, he was missing wide open shots that shooting guards don't usually miss.

Originally posted by throatpoker:
he celebrates too much
You also thought the Towns double foul was a good call.
This post was edited on 1/11 7:29 PM by Nubb16

Originally posted by Lob2Davis:

Originally posted by USAFSSCAT:

Originally posted by Lob2Davis:

Originally posted by rhstoess:
Over the last five games, has shot the ball 16/21 from 3, roughly 76%. WOW. Just something i found interesting, and really encouraging to see
Yeah, he's shooting 76% and only taking 4 shots a game, they need to get him the ball more. Our main offensive strategy at this point should be let Devin shoot til his arm falls off.
He's actually taken 7.2 shots per game and Aaron is taking 11.2
We were talking about 3 point shots.
Fine - Aaron is taking 5.8 and Booker is taken 4.2 not much difference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT