ADVERTISEMENT

Devin Booker

Dec 28, 2014
Over the last five games, has shot the ball 16/21 from 3, roughly 76%. WOW. Just something i found interesting, and really encouraging to see

Originally posted by rhstoess:
Over the last five games, has shot the ball 16/21 from 3, roughly 76%. WOW. Just something i found interesting, and really encouraging to see
Yeah, he's shooting 76% and only taking 4 shots a game, they need to get him the ball more. Our main offensive strategy at this point should be let Devin shoot til his arm falls off.

Part of the reason he isn't getting more shots is that we don't run anything to get him open, i.e.- running off screens. They just pass it around the perimeter. Every once in a while, someone will penetrate and kick it out to him in the corner, but not that often. Aaron seems to have no trouble finding shots though. I think Cal thinks he is going to shoot himself out of his slump, like Booker did, but I'm not so sure. Aaron had a good run in the tourney, but he's not really a consistent outside shooter.

His shot is sooooo purty too. Absolutely beautiful mechanics. The arc and spin of the ball is just picturesque.

Devin shoots good shots....he doesn't force much of anything. That is why it seems Aaron has no trouble finding his shot because he launches at the first chance everyone while Devin is more selective.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by UPSCat4080:
Devin shoots good shots....he doesn't force much of anything. That is why it seems Aaron has no trouble finding his shot because he launches at the first chance everyone while Devin is more selective.

Posted from Rivals Mobile
^^^^THIS^^^^ in a nutshell. Devin has a very high basketball IQ.

Did anyone else notice his elevation on the lay up when he took a fist to the face? Someone else would have not elevated avoid contact did the ole dipsy dooo and miss the lay up. Booker to the rack with athoritYYYYY! I love it.

Originally posted by crawfords corner:
His shot is sooooo purty too. Absolutely beautiful mechanics. The arc and spin of the ball is just picturesque.
Yes, maybe best looking shot I've seen at UK since mid 70s......

hes averaging 50% from the 3.

What's crazy is he started first three games shooting at 1 - 11. He also had a stretch in the middle, in three games he shot 1 - 11.

The dude shot 2 - 22 in 6 games, but the other 8 games he went 28 - 38 @ 74% (he did not play 1 game).

He needs about 3-4 more 3pt attempts/game imo...after what Aaron did last year, you can never go away from him on that last possession, but would've loved to have seen Cal draw up a play for Booker with Aaron as decoy on that wing.

Originally posted by js40484:
He needs about 3-4 more 3pt attempts/game imo...after what Aaron did last year, you can never go away from him on that last possession, but would've loved to have seen Cal draw up a play for Booker with Aaron as decoy on that wing.
I agree.... Booker will of the best shooters I have seen in many years.

Originally posted by WildMoon:
hes averaging 50% from the 3.

What's crazy is he started first three games shooting at 1 - 11. He also had a stretch in the middle, in three games he shot 1 - 11.

The dude shot 2 - 22 in 6 games, but the other 8 games he went 28 - 38 @ 74% (he did not play 1 game).
And quite a few RRs were wanting him benched and saying he was a bust. A freshman, a bust after 4 games. SMH, sometimes this board is embarrassing.

This post was edited on 1/11 10:31 AM by Blueaz

If the team needed 3 points then that sounds like a plan. But if you have the last shot and only need a point, you want to take the highest percentage shot (Booker's great outside shooting to that point notwithstanding) where you have a decent chance of being fouled.

He has played some really great defense too in stretches and rarely fouls. Much more mobile and savvy than I hoped preseason.

and the two he missed yesterday were kinda forced, off balance shots. If he is balanced and takes shots within the flow of the offense, he is as money as their is in the game today.

635565038089085207-AP38041513586-6.jpg

he doesn't need to take 3 - 4 more..

lol, some of you are insane... stop.

Becoming a three point chucking contest isn't the purpose of 3 point shot.

He's taking the right amount, i want him to be more aggressive attacking the paint. One of the biggest difference between last year and this year, is we have done poor job drawing fouls. If not for Andrew attacking the paint we wouldn't have been in double penalty in OT yesterday (I do wish Andrew to finish some of those plays more tho...). That could have been very bad.

Without doubt he should have taken that shot!

Cal is going to start the Harrisons. Period. Booker though was 2nd in mins (along with Lyles) against A&M. There's little doubt he, Lyles, Ulis, and Town's are a big part of this team. Booker in particular because he's become the great outside shooter he we hoped, but also because he has an excellent all-around game. If UK wins the SEC and the NCAA this year Devin Booker is going to be a big part of it. He may very well end up being the teams' leading scorer.

He certainly does have a sweet shot and he came up big with them for the Cats yesterday.

15E0pE.AuSt.79.jpeg
Devin Booker with a three point shot in the second half.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2015/01/10/3633983/uk-at-texas-am.html#storylink=cpy

Devin is progressing nicely. As all shooters will, he will have a off night. But that solid stroke with the ball will see him through. Will be a threat that other teams overlook at their own risk and another nightmare matchup for teams in march.

And yet Aaron still taking twice as many shots as Booker. It's becoming clearer and clearer that our backup guards need more shots and minutes and the Harrisons fewer.

Yeah, its stupid to get your best shooter...more shots! Terrible strategy. C'mon, No one said anything about "chucking" I swear, some of you argue for the sake of arguing...A couple extra sets for him in certain situations would be a nice addition.

He's taking the right amount, i want him to be more aggressive attacking the paint. One of the biggest difference between last year and this year, is we have done poor job drawing fouls. If not for Andrew attacking the paint we wouldn't have been in double penalty in OT yesterday (I do wish Andrew to finish some of those plays more tho...). That could have been very bad.
Sorry but if we can get Booker 10 3 pt attempts per game he will make between 5-8 of them as long as they are in the offense. He has proven that . Why would not want him taking more ? He is the best shooter i have seen in college since Step Curry . Doesn't miss basically if he is squared up. And yesterday when no one could buy a basketball but him he should of shot 12-15 IMO . we win going away if that happens. Now i want them in the offense not just chucked up there like Aaron did alot yesterday .

Originally posted by UK90:

And yet Aaron still taking twice as many shots as Booker. It's becoming clearer and clearer that our backup guards need more shots and minutes and the Harrisons fewer.
We would have lost the Ole Miss game without the Harrisons...so your logic is flawed.

Cal is not going to bench the Harrisons' buddy. If he does, he knows our title hopes evaporate. Plus, Cal plays 3 guards most of the time...and we only have 4 guards....so they are going to get minutes.

He should be in the starting rotation. Maybe that would help to eliminate the possibility of future slow starts.

Originally posted by caneintally:

Sorry but if we can get Booker 10 3 pt attempts per game he will make between 5-8 of them as long as they are in the offense. He has proven that . Why would not want him taking more ? He is the best shooter i have seen in college since Step Curry . Doesn't miss basically if he is squared up. And yesterday when no one could buy a basketball but him he should of shot 12-15 IMO . we win going away if that happens. Now i want them in the offense not just chucked up there like Aaron did alot yesterday .
You realize you're suggesting that as long as booker takes shots within the offense he will shoot 50-80% from the field. That's a bit far fetched!

I understand what Aaron did for us last season in the tournament but if we need someone to hit a big shot at the end, I'd go with Devin now.

Originally posted by UKClassof93:

You realize you're suggesting that as long as booker takes shots within the offense he will shoot 50-80% from the field. That's a bit far fetched!
What are you talking about he is doing that right now! he is shooting 53% from 3 and 76 % for the last 6 games. Sometimes we would have games where he hits 40% and other games where he goes 8-10 ( if he got 10 ) so yes what i am saying is fact based on the current stats lol . Not hard to understand .

Originally posted by The_Answer1313:
I understand what Aaron did for us last season in the tournament but if we need someone to hit a big shot at the end, I'd go with Devin now.
This. I am also getting sold on Lyles to do that too on the inside.

Originally posted by Lob2Davis:

Yeah, he's shooting 76% and only taking 4 shots a game, they need to get him the ball more. Our main offensive strategy at this point should be let Devin shoot til his arm falls off.
He's actually taken 7.2 shots per game and Aaron is taking 11.2

Devin is clearly our best offensive threat and should be taking any last second type shots.
He is our best spot up shooter and he has pretty decent elevation on his jump shot if he
has to take his man off the dribble. Just because Aaron hit those shots in the tourney doesn't
mean he will duplicate that this year. I like living in the present and in the present Booker is easily
the Cats best offensive threat with Trey next and then Aaron. Not trying to bash Aaron but this
is reality.

basketball isn't as simple as what you say.

First of all, he hasn't proven that to be a volume scorer. So, i'm not sure where you think it's proven.

Another thing is, basketball is more than just making threes. Andrew draws more fouls because of his attacking. If you take that away, we would never had double bonus yesterday. (this is also true with Aaron, but he shot WAYYY too many threes yesterday.) (get points from just getting defensive rebound!!!)

Another thing is, when one person becomes volume scorer, whether we win or not becomes much on one player. Reason we continue to win while having different players play bad, is because we have other players step up. Again, this means not having booker chuck 10 threes per game. That's just bad strategy.

Also, missing threes are more likely to create transition offense for opponents. When you have 1 - 3 get a defensive rebound, that generates immediate offense. You rather have 4 or 5 get the rebound secure, and then give it to PG. Which we hope the PG comes back to get the ball back.

Defensive assignments becomes much easier, when one player becomes volume scorer. I would have liked Aaron to not take as many shot and shared the ball better. He should have attacked and dished. At least drawn a foul. That's why his steals were great, except the one he got completely blocked. Other two he at least got fouled.

Finally, one of the main key in basketball is dominate the paint. Get the bigs in foul trouble. None of that happens when you just shoot three. I rather have Aaron/Booker shoot 4 - 5 threes per game at most. Not 8 - 10, that's just too many. Why do you think Duke lost today? The idiots shot 27 threes....made only 7. They had nice offensive flow going, and had a lot of time left. Instead of attacking, they started chucking threes and rushing attempts. That's why they lost. Look at us, they attacked us. We lost our bigs!!! WCS and Towns both. You kidding me??? That's exactly what WE want to do to THEM. Taking out their best players is a AMAZINGLY important strategy...

Think about this. If we play Duke and get Okafor in foul trouble. What chance do they have in beating us?

basketball isn't as simple as what you say.

First of all, he hasn't proven that to be a volume scorer. So, i'm not sure where you think it's proven.

Another thing is, basketball is more than just making threes. Andrew draws more fouls because of his attacking. If you take that away, we would never had double bonus yesterday. (this is also true with Aaron, but he shot WAYYY too many threes yesterday.) (get points from just getting defensive rebound!!!)

Another thing is, when one person becomes volume scorer, whether we win or not becomes much on one player. Reason we continue to win while having different players play bad, is because we have other players step up. Again, this means not having booker chuck 10 threes per game. That's just bad strategy.

Also, missing threes are more likely to create transition offense for opponents. When you have 1 - 3 get a defensive rebound, that generates immediate offense. You rather have 4 or 5 get the rebound secure, and then give it to PG. Which we hope the PG comes back to get the ball back.

Defensive assignments becomes much easier, when one player becomes volume scorer. I would have liked Aaron to not take as many shot and shared the ball better. He should have attacked and dished. At least drawn a foul. That's why his steals were great, except the one he got completely blocked. Other two he at least got fouled.

Finally, one of the main key in basketball is dominate the paint. Get the bigs in foul trouble. None of that happens when you just shoot three. I rather have Aaron/Booker shoot 4 - 5 threes per game at most. Not 8 - 10, that's just too many. Why do you think Duke lost today? The idiots shot 27 threes....made only 7. They had nice offensive flow going, and had a lot of time left. Instead of attacking, they started chucking threes and rushing attempts. That's why they lost. Look at us, they attacked us. We lost our bigs!!! WCS and Towns both. You kidding me??? That's exactly what WE want to do to THEM. Taking out their best players is a AMAZINGLY important strategy...

Think about this. If we play Duke and get Okafor in foul trouble. What chance do they have in beating us?
Moon you are great , intelligent poster and all of your points are legit but i think , as i said , in the offense , getting him as many 3s as possible wouldn't hurt us . One of our main problems is that we guys who take horrible 3's that are not in the offense ( well not really just the last 2 games ) and Booker rarely does this . But all your points are valid and you might be right .

Moon you are great , intelligent poster and all of your points are legit but i think , as i said , in the offense , getting him as many 3s as possible wouldn't hurt us . One of our main problems is that we guys who take horrible 3's that are not in the offense ( well not really just the last 2 games ) and Booker rarely does this . But all your points are valid and you might be right .
I agree that i prefer Booker shooting a three. But, I just rather neither shoot so many and attack the paint.

Originally posted by USAFSSCAT:

Originally posted by Lob2Davis:

He's actually taken 7.2 shots per game and Aaron is taking 11.2
We were talking about 3 point shots.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT