ADVERTISEMENT

De Sousa being held out at KU

I am assuming that Coach K will follow suit shortly. It would be a dereliction of his duty to not initiate an eligibility review for Zion given all the evidence that Zion was being shopped around and teams were willing to pay up. K must suspend Zion from competition pending the outcome of that review.

I guess you don't realize that Zion has the letters "D-U-K-E" on the front of his jersey?

I am assuming that Coach K will follow suit shortly. It would be a dereliction of his duty to not initiate an eligibility review for Zion given all the evidence that Zion was being shopped around and teams were willing to pay up. K must suspend Zion from competition pending the outcome of that review.
Didn’t you hear, they already did an internal investigation and shockingly he passed with flying colors.
Stacks of green flying colors.

If I was Kansas, I think I would either play him or doing my own internal investigation and boot him. I would hold him out pending NCAA review. I think the NCAA is almost wanting to ignore the stuff brought out in the FBI trial, but by holding him out pending review they are almost forcing the NCAA to investigate it.

Reactions: westerncat
"some of which we knew,some of which we didn't" You have to hand it to Self or whoever writes this stuff for him,he is a master of mixing in a little truth with the spin.It keeps him one step ahead of the NCAA.(on second thought it isn't all that difficult)
That was my favorite line [laughing]

“Some of which we knew [the stuff that happened], some of which we didn’t [that anyone else would find out]”

What violations did Duke have the past two years?

Dude, you’re obviously relatively intelligent. Truly you are but don’t channel your inner @Nooneputsbabyinacorner and just refuse to believe *facts* (not speculation) as it lowers any type of credibility you may have had while posting on OUR board...

Cheers

Have you not been paying attention to the FBI trials. Its literally all about these kinds of things. To act like Marvin Bagley didn't have impermissible benefits is pretty oblivious

It’s definitely a loop hole but it’s not a violation. Nike, Under Armor, Adidas all sponsor AAU teams. And there are not rules/caps or anything on how they can pay/support those programs.

The NCAA didn’t just ignore verything because it’s Duke, they ignored it because they don’t have any rules preventing it.

It’s absolutely shady and should be addressed but it’s not illegal or an NCAA violation.

It’s kind of amazing what’s going on in the FBI investigation because all this could have been avoided if the parents and shoe companies were just smarter about it and developed AAU programs to feed money to the families.

Dude, you’re obviously relatively intelligent. Truly you are but don’t channel your inner @Nooneputsbabyinacorner and just refuse to believe *facts* (not speculation) as it lowers any type of credibility you may have had while posting on OUR board...

Cheers

I’m fine with facts. I admit Duke should have been punished for the Magette thing even though it was relatively minor. The other stuff there’s not much evidence to support actual violations.

Not being a rules expert I ask is there really any harm in playing a kid in an exhibition game? If he is later ruled eligible no problem for sure,if he is ruled ineligible and hasn't played in a regular season game then you lose an exhibition game(they don't count anyway)

This seems to bring last years games into question,it could also mean that KU is waiting on the outcome of the trial,a guilty verdict means they might be in the clear and a not guilty or hung jury gives them a problem

It is interesting that Zion has already played,Duke and K are so arrogant it boggles the mind.I am ashamed to say that I would find enjoyment in anything of a negative nature that happened to Duke basketball.

Definitely on Magette, nothing really there withThomas. Neither happened in the past two years.
florau.jpg

Not being a rules expert I ask is there really any harm in playing a kid in an exhibition game? If he is later ruled eligible no problem for sure,if he is ruled ineligible and hasn't played in a regular season game then you lose an exhibition game(they don't count anyway)

This seems to bring last years games into question,it could also mean that KU is waiting on the outcome of the trial,a guilty verdict means they might be in the clear and a not guilty or hung jury gives them a problem

It is interesting that Zion has already played,Duke and K are so arrogant it boggles the mind.I am ashamed to say that I would find enjoyment in anything of a negative nature that happened to Duke basketball.

I think there are rules in place regarding those types of players even practicing with the team. We went through similar drama with Kanter, and Cal changed him to some designation that allowed him to participate in practice, etc.

Before that, I don't think Kanter was even allowed to talk to our guys during weightlifting.

So while they can't vacate the games, there are still punishments and restrictions possible for having ineligible players around.

Definitely on Magette, nothing really there withThomas. Neither happened in the past two years.

I agree with you on Thomas.

Brb, I'm heading down to the jewelry store to buy some ice. Probably will pay in cash since I usually carry $100k of cash in my pocket. Might even swing by and pick up a new lambo when I'm done if I have some leftover cash.

I think there are rules in place regarding those types of players even practicing with the team. We went through similar drama with Kanter, and Cal changed him to some designation that allowed him to participate in practice, etc.

Before that, I don't think Kanter was even allowed to talk to our guys during weightlifting.

So while they can't vacate the games, there are still punishments and restrictions possible for having ineligible players around.
Enes became a "student trainer'. Best we've ever had

Reactions: GonzoCat90
I agree with you on Thomas.

Brb, I'm heading down to the jewelry store to buy some ice. Probably will pay in cash since I usually carry $100k of cash in my pocket. Might even swing by and pick up a new lambo when I'm done if I have some leftover cash.

Technically he only paid $30k. That was the problem as he didn’t pay the rest until a lot later. How many NCAA athletes are driving cars worth $30k-$50k? We going to investigate them all?

It’s definitely a loop hole but it’s not a violation. Nike, Under Armor, Adidas all sponsor AAU teams. And there are not rules/caps or anything on how they can pay/support those programs.

The NCAA didn’t just ignore verything because it’s Duke, they ignored it because they don’t have any rules preventing it.

It’s absolutely shady and should be addressed but it’s not illegal or an NCAA violation.

It’s kind of amazing what’s going on in the FBI investigation because all this could have been avoided if the parents and shoe companies were just smarter about it and developed AAU programs to feed money to the families.

I'm pretty sure it's a violation if the money came with the understanding/contingency that a player would sign with Duke.

Reactions: Gothic1960
Technically he only paid $30k. That was the problem as he didn’t pay the rest until a lot later. How many NCAA athletes are driving cars worth $30k-$50k? We going to investigate them all?
He purchased $100,000 in jewelry. He only paid $30,000 which is why he was sued.

"The lawsuit was filed in January 2012 and was settled under confidential terms in September, roughly 1½ weeks after its existence was made public. "

aka Duke paid them off.

What does Thomas's $30k have to do with my $100k I usually carry around? I don't know how many NCAA athletes drive around cars $30k - $50k. I'd say we probably won't investigate them all, mainly because I don't work for the NCAA (I assume that means you do though?).

Reactions: kl40504
Driving a $30K car you have a $400/month loan on and putting down $30K cash on jewelry when you are still a basketball player on a national championship team are two different things.

What does Thomas's $30k have to do with my $100k I usually carry around? I don't know how many NCAA athletes drive around cars $30k - $50k. I'd say we probably won't investigate them all, mainly because I don't work for the NCAA (I assume that means you do though?).

Only as a consultant.

Reactions: Mr_GG
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT