ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Hurley - Nate Oats

Which Coach you taking?

• Nate Oats

Votes: 56 62.9%
  • Dan Hurley

Votes: 33 37.1%

• Total voters
Why would you want Donovan? Why would Donovan or Stevens leave the NBA?

What has Lloyd done? Isn't that the guy at Arizona? You shit on Oats, but you're good with Lloyd?

I agree on Beard, but he has faults too, he just got bounced by Illinois, who just got hammered at home by Penn State. He has a FF, but he's fallen short of expectations every time since then.

I don't think Donovan or Stevens would take the job. I listed them under "have to", meaning you have to reach out to him.

Lloyd is in his second year at Arizona. He hasn't proven anything but he has 20 years under Few, amazing recruiter and runs a great offense. Has the European pipeline and is relatively young. Also seems even keeled.

Beard, don't love his style of play but he did make a FF at TT and clearly has Texas aimed in a positive direction.

I just don't like Oats. Never have, don't think his system works for tourney.

Yeah, Alabama is in the SEC, which is a power 5 conference that has a lot more size, athleticism, talent and depth, so in my opinion, it's a lot harder for Oats to win than it was for Cal at UMass. I mean, who did Cal have to compete against at UMass? Saint Joe? Who else? It's a lot harder to win in the SEC now than it was for Cal in the A10 in the 80's and 90's.

And you're the one that started the comparison, all I'm saying is Oats is in year 4, it took Cal 8 years to do anything worth a damn at UMass and another 8 years to do it at Memphis. Oats has a damn good squad at Alabama this year, what will you say if he gets to a FF this year?

It looks to me like his system is working. Again, he’s fared better in the NCAAT than Cal has in all three years he's been at Alabama.

The SEC affords Oats a better opportunity to recruit at a high level. It is easier to win in NCAAT at UMass than it ever would be at Memphis or UMass. I suppose we could say the same thing about Cal and UK.

This boils down to the simple fact that I find the notion of shooting 30 threes per game as a recipe for failure over a 6 game stretch in March...JMHO.

If Oats makes a FF at Alabama I'll be proven wrong, that's all. Just to be clear, I'm not angry about anything here...

Reactions: BlueWhite21
Hurley has never made it past the 2nd rd of the NCAA tournament. He is in his 5th season at Uconn, has made the tournament twice there and been bounced both times in the 1st round.

Oats has been to a sw16, once. He went out in the same round as us last year. His teams get hot for a couple of games a year and otherwise look mediocre. They always disappoint in the tournament.

Thank God you all aren't invovled in the coaching search. Most of you won't be satisfied until we hire Billy G 2.0.

Reactions: MakinMusic
But also, how can you say Oats is fools gold? He's made it further in the NCAAT than Cal each year he has been at Alabama.
Lol, no he hasn't. He's only made it further once. That was the year we didn't make it.

In fact, in 2020, Bama wouldn't have made the tournament had there been one as they were 16-15. Last year they really shouldn't have made it as they went 19-14 on the season.

If your argument was sound, you wouldn't need to lie!

Last edited:
None of those I am afraid. Most people already know who I am. 🤣
You Cal lovers all sound the same and you created this handle 15 days ago. There’s definitely some alts being made. IRL, I know of only one person that wants to keep Cal, only because he’s scared of who we’ll bring in. Of course, he’s not want to change for the better and is ok with the status quo. Cal could shut me up, but I’m not holding my breath; he’s becoming more condescending without the results.

Hurley is one to watch. Not ready to go all-in on him quite yet.

Tommy Lloyd would be on my short list, as would Chris Beard.

Tony Bennett is another one. His teams aren’t exactly the most fun to watch, but they are efficient and the dude wins games.

You Cal lovers all sound the same and you created this handle 15 days ago. There’s definitely some alts being made. IRL, I know of only one person that wants to keep Cal, only because he’s scared of who we’ll bring in. Of course, he’s not want to change for the better and is ok with the status quo. Cal could shut me up, but I’m not holding my breath; he’s becoming more condescending without the results.
I'm a Cal lover and want to keep Cal just because I think Oats and Hurley are bad choices?

Logic isn't your strength, is it?

I don't think Donovan or Stevens would take the job. I listed them under "have to", meaning you have to reach out to him.

Lloyd is in his second year at Arizona. He hasn't proven anything but he has 20 years under Few, amazing recruiter and runs a great offense. Has the European pipeline and is relatively young. Also seems even keeled.

Beard, don't love his style of play but he did make a FF at TT and clearly has Texas aimed in a positive direction.

I just don't like Oats. Never have, don't think his system works for tourney.
Right, if you don't like Oats, that’s cool, I get it, but you can't say you don't want him because he hasn't accomplished anything at Alabama, but then list Lloyd.

To me, I think Oats would put 100% effort into winning games in an exciting fashion here. He's already proven this year that his system is working. He’s already knocked off two #1 ranked teams, one of which was a true road game. His teams play extremely hard and physical. Also, like I said earlier, his offense is a lot more complete right now than it was the last couple years.
He would kill it at UK.

The SEC affords Oats a better opportunity to recruit at a high level. It is easier to win in NCAAT at UMass than it ever would be at Memphis or UMass. I suppose we could say the same thing about Cal and UK.

This boils down to the simple fact that I find the notion of shooting 30 threes per game as a recipe for failure over a 6 game stretch in March...JMHO.

If Oats makes a FF at Alabama I'll be proven wrong, that's all. Just to be clear, I'm not angry about anything here...
Honestly, I really don't care about recruiting, we need to stop with that mindset. This idea that we have to have the #1 class every year is crazy to me.
How many titles have been won because a certain school got the #1 class?

The teams winning titles aren't even getting top 10 classes, they're developing their players and keeping them in the sustem.

Cal keeps getting beat by teams with 2 and 3 star talent after getting the #1 or #2 recruiting class, so, to me, recruiting top players isn't the path to winning titles, it's the path to feeding the NBA, nothing more.

But here's another point, in the 80's and 90's, recruiting wasn't close to what it is today. Rosters were loaded with juniors and seniors, nobody left early for the draft, Cal was winning games with 2 and 3 star talent, just like everybody else.

What guys on Alabama's roster are thought of as lottery picks, or first rounders? I'm not seeing a roster full of top 10 talent, but what I do see is a team full of guys that play well together and know how to win college games. Offense wins games, Oates understands that, Cal doesn't.

Offer: Stevens and Donovan (both unlikely)

Likely: Bennett (not a huge fan of his style, but it’s hard to deny the results)

Watch list: Lloyd, Hurley

No: Beard, Oates (live and die by the 3’s)

Oats hasn't made it past the Sweet 16. Enough said.

If this is our goal post to replace Cal, move it.
This is year 4 for Oats. Bama is loaded with talent so we will know a lot more about him at seasons end.

For me, although I am not looking for Cal to leave but, if so, I will take a proven winner in 1. Scott Drew. If I am going with new names, I will say 2. Hurley and 3. Lloyd. Oats is much farther down that list for me.

Any coach with a brain that reads this board would never come here. The way Cal is treated here would give anybody pause. This is the most miserable place almost more so after we win than lose. I stay away just because it's overrun with posters that bitch no matter what. Some sad hateful crap going on here. Just look at some of the ridiculous threads after yesterdays game. Hope you cry babies are ready for the reckoning that is coming. If you think UK can just snap it's fingers and go get a future or current HOF coach and as good of a human being as Cal to come here you are sadly mistaken. It's amazing the recruiting Cal can still do despite the national media picking up on the negativity toward him expressed here.

• Haha
Reactions: kl40504 and kyjeff1
This is year 4 for Oats. Bama is loaded with talent so we will know a lot more about him at seasons end.

For me, although I am not looking for Cal to leave but, if so, I will take a proven winner in 1. Scott Drew. If I am going with new names, I will say 2. Hurley and 3. Lloyd. Oats is much farther down that list for me.
Scott Drew has been at Baylor 20 years and has been past sw16 3 times. Only once since 2012. He has only made the Sw16 5 times. He has never won a big 12 tournament, and has only won the regular season big12 twice. I get he has a title, but I am not sure I would call him a proven winner.

Hurley has been coaching D1 for 11 years and has never been past the 2nd rd.

I do think Lloyd is someone to watch, but if he is successful, why would he leave Zona?

Oats is a no for me as well.

Offer: Stevens and Donovan (both unlikely)

Likely: Bennett (not a huge fan of his style, but it’s hard to deny the results)

Watch list: Lloyd, Hurley

No: Beard, Oates (live and die by the 3’s)
Oates and Beard don't live and die by the 3.

If you are referring to Alabama in 2021 and 2022, you might have a point, but they won at Houston yesterday, while shooting only 23 threes. That’s pretty ideal in my opinion.

They shot 38 threes (42%) when they beat uNC, but they also shot 90 two's at 41%. That was a high possession game.

I've never seen, or heard anyone say Beard relies too much on the 3 ball.

They shot 22 threes yesterday, 19 total when they beat Creighton and 22 in the loss to Illinois. Yeah, they shot 33 threes against Gonzaga, but they also shot 66 two's and that was a blowout.

Reactions: Gromcat
Any coach with a brain that reads this board would never come here. The way Cal is treated here would give anybody pause. This is the most miserable place almost more so after we win than lose. I stay away just because it's overrun with posters that bitch no matter what. Some sad hateful crap going on here. Just look at some of the ridiculous threads after yesterdays game. Hope you cry babies are ready for the reckoning that is coming. If you think UK can just snap it's fingers and go get a future or current HOF coach and as good of a human being as Cal to come here you are sadly mistaken. It's amazing the recruiting Cal can still do despite the national media picking up on the negativity toward him expressed here.
LMFAO, you think uk fans are the only ones that critisize their coach???

Nick Saban gets ripped by Alabama fans when he doesn't win by enough points.

You simply need to get out more.

You act like there's nothing to criticize, you Cal fans are blind AF.

Reactions: deep3
“So and so hasn’t made it past yada yada”

Can we stop pretending SOMEONE isn’t going to win in the future? If you can win and make sweet 16’s at nothing programs then Kentucky can definitely bet you titles and final fours. If you make title game and elite 8’s at TT you are not Gillispie because you’re white and from Texas. If you have a great work ethic and reputation and you’re doing well in a desert you can win at UK.

Someone HAS to win now. The old guard is gone and Calipari won’t even be here. He couldn’t handle the money.

So give it a rest. Tubby went to a sweet 16 at those programs then won a title and went to 5 elite 8’s at UK.

You pass up some of these younger talented guys for an old wore out coach who doesn’t value winning anymore you’ll regret it later that’s the truth. There’s too many in this fanbase that have absolutely no vision.

We have an advantage no one talks about.

Kansas isn’t hiring. UNC and Duke still want in house hires. It’s open for us as a blue blood to take any young outsider we want.

Quit being stupid.

Full short list, in no particular order: (when Cal decides to retire)

Make them tell you no:
Mark Few
Billy Donovan - 2 Nattys

Realistic list:
Tony Bennett - Natty
Scott Drew - Natty
Chris Beard
Tommy Lloyd
Eric Musselman

Watch list:
Dan Hurley

I prefer someone younger to be honest, but IMO this is the current list.

If you don’t know the difference between Alabama/Baylor/UCONN and Kentucky, then Bless your heart. Critical thinking is not your strength, is it?
Right! I agree UK is a much different beast, with greater pressure, higher expectations and fans that won't accept anything close to those records. So, if those coaches have NOT shown the ability to be extremely successfull at other schools with less pressure, why would I expect them to come to UK and handle it? 🤔

Neither, but when we do hire a replacement, that fool better come in with exciting offense and stifling defense (of the Pitino style). UK fans deserve some excitement after what feels like a Tubby offense of late (grind it out, barely winning games that should be blowouts).

Not a popular vote, but I'm still fumbling with my internal curiosity on how Bruce Pearl might work for us after Cal is gone...you can't argue the man's passion for exciting basketball...

Right! I agree UK is a much different beast, with greater pressure, higher expectations and fans that won't accept anything close to those records. So, if those coaches have NOT shown the ability to be extremely successfull at other schools with less pressure, why would I expect them to come to UK and handle it? 🤔

It’s these kinds of posters that are just so clueless I’ve stopped even trying.

If you can’t look to guys like we’re discussing and see pressure is something that wouldn’t be the reason they get fired there is no helping you lead belly.

Guys like Beard have already shown pressure is something they enjoy. You’re just clueless.

Most of the guys we’re talking about would sleep better than they have in years knowing the resources they now have as a UK coach, and that they’ve finally reached the mountain top they’ve dreamed of since they started coaching.

You’ve never been an athlete or a coach that I can see. Why don’t you do note listening and less talking and you might learn something.

Neither, but when we do hire a replacement, that fool better come in with exciting offense and stifling defense (of the Pitino style). UK fans deserve some excitement after what feels like a Tubby offense of late (grind it out, barely winning games that should be blowouts).

Not a popular vote, but I'm still fumbling with my internal curiosity on how Bruce Pearl might work for us after Cal is gone...you can't argue the man's passion for exciting basketball...

Pearl would win at UK. To what extent I don’t know, but I’m sure it would be a banner or two over 10 years unless the money does to him what it did to Calipari.

But we can’t. We sold our souls to win with Calipari we can’t do it back to back. We’d be seen as a really slimy program. It’s also risky and we just risked enough.

I like Pearl, but he’s 62, and unless he could give us 6-8 years....

Reactions: TheDude73
Pearl would win at UK. To what extent I don’t know, but I’m sure it would be a banner or two over 10 years unless the money does to him what it did to Calipari.

But we can’t. We sold our souls to win with Calipari we can’t do it back to back. We’d be seen as a really slimy program. It’s also risky and we just risked enough.
All reasons that I'm fumbling with the idea of Pearl if/when that time comes. The risk and funk of Pearl's background (he was proven to have cheated while Cal never was) would make it a painful choice - one that Mitch won't ever do given how hard it was for him to pull the trigger on Cal.

Reactions: Gromcat
Started this poll because I think CAL is leaving after next season and believe OATS or HURLEY would be good hires along with maybe Lloyd at Zona. I like Holtmann he understands KY grew up a huge fan of KY and is likely going to be the man if Barney is still our AD. I don’t think he would be a good hire. I hope I’m wrong and Barney does his homework.

Started this poll because I think CAL is leaving after next season and believe OATS or HURLEY would be good hires along with maybe Lloyd at Zona. I like Holtmann he understands KY grew up a huge fan of KY and is likely going to be the man if Barney is still our AD. I don’t think he would be a good hire. I hope I’m wrong and Barney does his homework.

Beard would be the realistic hire I’d take a risk on over 6 years. Young, hungry, proven winner at horrible programs, and would provide the energy we need.

I don’t care about styles at this point we long as it’s not Tony Bennett and we win.

Reactions: TheDude73
It’s these kinds of posters that are just so clueless I’ve stopped even trying.

If you can’t look to guys like we’re discussing and see pressure is something that wouldn’t be the reason they get fired there is no helping you lead belly.

Guys like Beard have already shown pressure is something they enjoy. You’re just clueless.

Most of the guys we’re talking about would sleep better than they have in years knowing the resources they now have as a UK coach, and that they’ve finally reached the mountain top they’ve dreamed of since they started coaching.

You’ve never been an athlete or a coach that I can see. Why don’t you do note listening and less talking and you might learn something.
Awe, the ad hominem approach. So cute!

Beard enjoys pressure? You would sure think he would have more success if so. He has double digit losses 5 of the last 6 seasons.

Also, why would beard leave Texas?

I'm not worried about their sleeping or dreaming habits. I'm more concerned with their ability and success. Neither of these names nor most others tossed out have shown much of the latter.

I've never understood this "coaches come to UK and they will have more success" logic. Sutton and BCG sure didn't. Tubby didn't either when he lost Pitino's runner-up team. That's 3 of our last 5 coaches. And you're wanting to fire Cal, so it's not like he had the success you're expecting either.

Oates and Beard don't live and die by the 3.

If you are referring to Alabama in 2021 and 2022, you might have a point, but they won at Houston yesterday, while shooting only 23 threes. That’s pretty ideal in my opinion.

They shot 38 threes (42%) when they beat uNC, but they also shot 90 two's at 41%. That was a high possession game.

I've never seen, or heard anyone say Beard relies too much on the 3 ball.

They shot 22 threes yesterday, 19 total when they beat Creighton and 22 in the loss to Illinois. Yeah, they shot 33 threes against Gonzaga, but they also shot 66 two's and that was a blowout.
Didn’t mean Beard lives and dies by the 3, but I believe Oates does. IMO

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT