ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

For all the coffee lovers here on the D. The world's most expensive coffee at only $1,000/lb.. Before you go out and buy some you might want to check out how it's processed:

The irresistible appeal of this rare coffee comes from its natural refining process, by elephants. Black Ivory comes from something its retailers call “natural processing by elephants.” Black Ivory starts as Arabica beans fed to elephants in northern Thailand. The elephant’s digestive tract releases an enzyme that gives the beans a uniquely mellow and smooth taste. Of course, the beans have to be retrieved from massive mounds of elephant poop. They are cleaned, dried, roasted, and made available to the public in small quantities by the Black Ivory Coffee Company.
No thanks...

A Christmas Eve-Eve Morning to all.

Last I checked the weather (will Accuweather be Accu?) there is a good chance of a small amount of snow tomorrow and Christmas. Not much...inch or two at most....but snow showers. So it'll look and feel (very cold) like Christmas.

Question of the day....what's Pfeffernusse?
Directly translated, Peppernut.

lol. That's a good point Ben. Unfortunately, I'm one of those fools who actually saved for years and paid for all my kids' college -- two graduates and my son so far -- so Biden's plan to 'forgive' student debt will only emphasize that responsibility is out of fashion.

Knowing them, they may give huge tax credits, or reduce fees by 25%. You can bet one thing, they will be buying votes in some form or fashion.

Do any of the D have traditional meals for Christmas Eve. We have a special meal every year after we go to church for our candlelight service. We have 3 services 1) 3:00 2) 4:30 and 3) 6:00. We usually go to the second one which gives us a little time to prepare our Christmas Eve meal.

Our meal is the same every year and has been for as long as I can remember. I make a very simple oyster stew and we serve it with toasted Cuban bread with plenty of butter. I also make a cream of potato soup if one does not want oysters. I just substitute potatoes and bacon for the oysters.

I go to the seafood market and pick up a fresh shucked oysters. No canned ones or frozen. They have to be fresh, right out of the shell. The recipe is very simple with basic ingredients. It is important to include the liquid from the oysters. This is per serving.
  • 2 cups of half and half
  • 1 cup oysters, liquid also
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp celery salt
  • Black pepper
  • Cayenne pepper
  • Tabasco Sauce
Bring your half and half to a near boil (don't boil) and add oysters and butter. Remove from heat and let is set until the oysters curl and are cooked. That only takes a minute or so.
OysterPairings_F_1920x1280.jpg

I'll be right down....

lol. That's a good point Ben. Unfortunately, I'm one of those fools who actually saved for years and paid for all my kids' college -- two graduates and my son so far -- so Biden's plan to 'forgive' student debt will only emphasize that responsibility is out of fashion.
Yep, and tax payers will pay for it. Taxes will probably go through the roof in the coming year/s.

For all the coffee lovers here on the D. The world's most expensive coffee at only $1,000/lb.. Before you go out and buy some you might want to check out how it's processed:

The irresistible appeal of this rare coffee comes from its natural refining process, by elephants. Black Ivory comes from something its retailers call “natural processing by elephants.” Black Ivory starts as Arabica beans fed to elephants in northern Thailand. The elephant’s digestive tract releases an enzyme that gives the beans a uniquely mellow and smooth taste. Of course, the beans have to be retrieved from massive mounds of elephant poop. They are cleaned, dried, roasted, and made available to the public in small quantities by the Black Ivory Coffee Company.

Adding Black Ivory Coffee to the "no go" list.

Gotta wonder. Who was the first person who thought, "I think I'm gonna sort those coffee beans out of that pile of poop, grind them up, make some coffee and see what it tastes like." ?

Same here. My son went to a private college and my daughter 4 years at UK paying out of state tuition. They had no debt, just paid by mom and dad.

I go ballistic when they start talking about paying student loans.

Same here. My son went to a private college and my daughter 4 years at UK paying out of state tuition. They had no debt, just paid by mom and dad.

I go ballistic when they start talking about paying student loans.
Before the government took over student loans the cost of a college education was manageable. The government took care of that and here we are. Any time the government gets involved, no matter what it is, things go down the tubes.

Sorry sometimes it takes me a few days to catch up, but I like to go through all the posts. To SC's question about Christmas Eve meal traditions.... my immediate family doesn't have any, my wife or I may have to work Christmas on any given year(I have to work Christmas day again- thanks Leap Year.) This year on Christmas Eve we're doing a turkey breast(just the 4 of us,) dressing, green beans, potatoes(probably mashed Missouri style,) real cranberry sauce, liverwust, and a block of commodity cheese!

Yeah, Biden's debt forgiveness plan pisses me off too. I took out a loan in '79 at a high interest rate, tried catching-up during the mid-80s and finally the remaining amount was garnished from my paycheck over 18 installments between 1986-87. Completing my bachelors cost roughly $10K out of pocket. I used new GI Bill for a masters, but ran out of time as the program had a 10-year limit back then.

Yeah, Biden's debt forgiveness plan pisses me off too. I took out a loan in '79 at a high interest rate, tried catching-up during the mid-80s and finally the remaining amount was garnished from my paycheck over 18 installments between 1986-87. Completing my bachelors cost roughly $10K out of pocket. I used new GI Bill for a masters, but ran out of time as the program had a 10-year limit back then.

I paid off a $12K college loan for a granddaughter a couple of years ago, rather than having her being saddled with an over $300mo payment for God knows how many years. I'm looking forward for the government to pay me that back since it would only be fair to pay her debt too.

Last edited:
When I think how much my tuition was (out of state) compared to now.....you wonder where does all the money go? College was fairly affordable back then....profs were being paid, buildings were being built, colleges were getting bigger and better.
If you factor the rate of inflation over the years to what I paid, I don't think it would be anywhere close to what it is in 2020.

I paid off a $12K college loan for a granddaughter a couple of years ago. I'm looking forward for the government to pay me that back since it would only be fair to pay her debt too.
Yep, my two kids tuition was in excess of $130,000. When do I get the interest on that back. That was paid out between 1985 and 1994. Dang that would make me rich.

When I think how much my tuition was (out of state) compared to now.....you wonder where does all the money go? College was fairly affordable back then....profs were being paid, buildings were being built, colleges were getting bigger and better.
If you factor the rate of inflation over the years to what I paid, I don't think it would be anywhere close to what it is in 2020.
yep. I started Western Kentucky in September 1964. My tuition was a whopping $87.00. My dorm and meal card was about $300.

Wow things have changed.

Also paying outrageous salaries for coaches

yep. I started Western Kentucky in September 1964. My tuition was a whopping $87.00. My dorm and meal card was about $300.

Wow things have changed.
I started at Western in 78. My parents footed the bill for me and my 3 other older siblings. Don’t know how much it was then, but couldn’t have been but a fraction of what it is now, because my parents were far from rich. I remember coming home from college one Friday afternoon, and I was so broke I had to take 68 80 to Glasgow because I didn’t have 30 cents for the toll on the parkway lol.

I started college at age 23 (1966). Was already married and had a kid. Worked 40 hours a week, night shift, in a factory and carried 12-13 semester hours in school every morning (a requirement to not be drafted). Took me 5 1/2 years (over a period of 7 years) to earn a BS degree. I paid every dime of the tuition during those years, while tithing at my church and my wife not employed. I did that to become a preacher. Do I need to say I learned to live frugally?

I would not repeat that again nor recommend it to anyone else. Those years are nearly a blank in my memory now. Nearly cost me a marriage and harmed my bonding with my two kids because of my absence over those key years.

It was a well-intended life mistake but God graciously made it up to me in an unimaginable and unbelievable way in my latter years.

Last edited:

My daughter attended a private college also. We did tell her graduate school was on her. If she keeps her job another 4 years her employer will pay off the rest off her loan. Works for me!

I started college at age 23 (1966). Was already married and had a kid. Worked 40 hours a week, night shift, in a factory and carried 12-13 semester hours in school every morning (a requirement to not be drafted). Took me 5 1/2 years (over a period of 7 years) to earn a BS degree. I paid every dime of the tuition during those years, while tithing at my church and my wife not employed. I did that to become a preacher. Do I need to say I learned to live frugally?

I would not repeat that again nor recommend it to anyone else. Those years are nearly a blank in my memory now. Nearly cost me a marriage and harmed my bonding with my two kids because of my absence over those key years.

It was a well-intended life mistake but God graciously made it up to me in an unimaginable and unbelievable way in my latter years.
Starchief, you should not worry about stuff like that. You were on a mission to realize your goals.

So God made up for it. That is what counts. Maybe that was the price you had to pay for success. I don't know, but you may have an idea that it was worth it.

Chen up.

The only thing that matters as we go through our journey on earth is. "It Is Well With My Soul" everything else is sinking sand. If your heart is right with God, He will make a way.

You are living proof. Chief.

Yep, and tax payers will pay for it. Taxes will probably go through the roof in the coming year/s.

Well, take home pay will go down almost immediately, once Biden scraps the Trump tax cuts. Then, we are all going to pay more for goods and services, as soon as they increase the minimum wage. So, less check and pay more for everything. Sounds like a really good deal for us. Then, we will all pay more taxes to pay for the "free" stuff that the Democrats will give away to certain groups, to get their votes. The next four years will be interesting, to say the least.

Well, take home pay will go down almost immediately, once Biden scraps the Trump tax cuts. Then, we are all going to pay more for goods and services, as soon as they increase the minimum wage. So, less check and pay more for everything. Sounds like a really good deal for us. Then, we will all pay more taxes to pay for the "free" stuff that the Democrats will give away to certain groups, to get their votes. The next four years will be interesting, to say the least.
I don't think a 6th grader could come up with a worse economic plan....but that's what we're looking at.
Trump proved (to me) that success in politics is common sense. As it is in all of life.

I received a call yesterday from a very old friend from my working days. We worked for the same company and saw each other quite a bit on Catastrophe Duty as we were both on the International Cat Team. He lives in Plymouth, MA.

He called to say Merry Christmas but also tell me how miserable life is in Plymouth, MA and how he envied people living a normal life. A couple of weeks ago he had an assignment in Ft Meyers, FL and flew down. When he got off of the plane and went into town he was amazed at people smiling, laughing and few if anyone wearing a mask. People were at restaurants , bars, and he saw kids on school buses. He could not believe the freedom we had down here. Everything seemed alive and normal.

It made me think because we have been like this most of the time through COVID. But apparently some places in America are not. So my prayers are with these people because it has to be torture. He recently bought a condo in Coastal South Carolina so he will be getting out of there but until he does, his life is miserable.

Sir, I don't know what you went through other than what you stated. Highly commendable that you gave up the immediate for the longer more fruitful life for you and your family.

I crawled under houses for a living into my 40's but prepared for later life by going to school at the same time My reasoning was to set an example to my children. I started college when I turned 40 and completed my MS too.

You lose a lot but you gain a lot too for your family. God Bless you and your family.

Sir, I don't know what you went through other than what you stated. Highly commendable that you gave up the immediate for the longer more fruitful life for you and your family.

I crawled under houses for a living into my 40's but prepared for later life by going to school at the same time My reasoning was to set an example to my children. I started college when I turned 40 and completed my MS too.

You lose a lot but you gain a lot too for your family. God Bless you and your family.

You earned a bachelors and masters degrees after starting at 40? Wow. I'm sure you know that most of the younger guys on the Paddock regard all of us old guys as dumbasses and out of touch with reality don't you?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT