ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Do any of the D have traditional meals for Christmas Eve. We have a special meal every year after we go to church for our candlelight service. We have 3 services 1) 3:00 2) 4:30 and 3) 6:00. We usually go to the second one which gives us a little time to prepare our Christmas Eve meal.

Our meal is the same every year and has been for as long as I can remember. I make a very simple oyster stew and we serve it with toasted Cuban bread with plenty of butter. I also make a cream of potato soup if one does not want oysters. I just substitute potatoes and bacon for the oysters.

I go to the seafood market and pick up a fresh shucked oysters. No canned ones or frozen. They have to be fresh, right out of the shell. The recipe is very simple with basic ingredients. It is important to include the liquid from the oysters. This is per serving.
  • 2 cups of half and half
  • 1 cup oysters, liquid also
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp celery salt
  • Black pepper
  • Cayenne pepper
  • Tabasco Sauce
Bring your half and half to a near boil (don't boil) and add oysters and butter. Remove from heat and let is set until the oysters curl and are cooked. That only takes a minute or so.
OysterPairings_F_1920x1280.jpg

That's my kind of eating.

That's my kind of eating.

Groceries for sure..... As Uncle Jed would state; " Edible"...

I can eat the snot out if good food like that.

I have a beef roast we bought at Costco and a ham I will cook Christmas day if the Lord doesn't take me home.

I season that roast with cloves of garlic inserted in slits I cut in various areas along with a rub I concoct of various spices and bake it at 325 but the wife always turns it up to 350. When its finished you can cut it with a fork. Also bake potato's, onions, and carrots in the pan when its time. The kids like it and I eat my share.

The ham is baked too but just warmed with less effort. Always make a gravy from the steak grease. My youngest loves the gravy.

Asked my girls to bring some cheese cake...we shall see...

Merry Christmas all...

Last edited:
Well, take home pay will go down almost immediately, once Biden scraps the Trump tax cuts. Then, we are all going to pay more for goods and services, as soon as they increase the minimum wage. So, less check and pay more for everything. Sounds like a really good deal for us. Then, we will all pay more taxes to pay for the "free" stuff that the Democrats will give away to certain groups, to get their votes. The next four years will be interesting, to say the least.

This is the new Biden inspired Barbie:

2b88766e95d8e4327757bc3338fff1c8.jpg

Groceries for sure..... As Uncle Jed would state; " Edible"...

I can eat the snot out if good food like that.

I have a beef roast we bought at Costco and a ham I will cook Christmas day if the Lord doesn't take me home.

I season that roast with cloves of garlic inserted in slits I cut in various areas along with a rub I concoct of various spieces and bake it at 325 but the wife always turns it up to 350. When its finished you can cut it with a fork. Also bake potato's, onions, and carrots in the pan when its time. The kids like it and I eat my share.

The ham is baked too but just warmed with less effort. Always make a grave from the steak grease. My youngest loves the gravy.

Asked my girls to bring some cheese cake...we shall see...

Merry Christmas all...
I used to hate beef roast as a kid, now it's probably one of my favorite meals. I always like having cole slaw and rolls with it.

Here's a classic filmed 45 years ago during Christmas season. Billy Thompson interviews Coach Rupp on KET.

I have a question for the D, since we have been talking about food, If the D was having a get together and you bring your best dish that you fix, what would it be? Mine would be Southwest Chicken. What would you bring?
I’m not much of a cook, but I make a pretty fair Mexican casserole that’s sort of like lasagna except with chicken breasts and corn tortillas instead of sausage and noodles.

I have a question for the D, since we have been talking about food, If the D was having a get together and you bring your best dish that you fix, what would it be? Mine would be Southwest Chicken. What would you bring?

I can cook well but I'd probably bring three or four 24 packs of bottled yuengling...

May talk the wife into making a few pounds of beef jerky... To die for...

Good Christmas Eve to all. Kind of cold out but not brutal like they say is coming tonight. Little wind here and there so it feels much colder than it is. And of course the forecast has changed again, so it looks like the inch or two of snow we were supposed to get is now down to maybe a dusting....if that. Oh well I guess Santa will find another way to get here. We all had to come up with stories to tell our kids (hate to call them lies) on how Santa could still deliver gifts and toys if there was no snow for his sleigh. Especially when I lived in Georgia.

Up and at 'em early. Think I'll hit Kroger when the doors open...6 a.m. .....beat the crowd which on non-Covid years is absolutely insane on Christmas Eve.

Merry Christmas Eve D League. As always, the season that starts the day after Thanksgiving with listening to Christmas songs and watching favorite Christmas movies has both seemed to last an eternity and barrel down on me like a freight train.

And Christmas Eve has always been exciting but also a little sad - the merry season is nearing the end.

But my kids are home, everyone is healthy, and we’re gearing up for a big day, so I feel lucky as hell.

I hope you all are enjoying the day with those you love.

That's the cheap stuff now. Only 300-600 bucks a pound. Still a big "no thanks" for me.
I would try it to see what it tasted like.
Fat Boys Pizza or MRE's, I don't cook.

Good morning D, reading Luke:24 this morning, Bev's family is also on my mind and in my prayers this morning!!!!

Winds been howling all night, you guys in Florida be on the lookout!

I hope the D has a great day!!!
Yeah, I'll finish up Luke sometime today. What I did this year as an added bonus, I've watched The Gospel of Luke on Netflix as I've been going along. Film adaptation along with reading really makes it come to life as well as perhaps a little better understanding. Like the other day, I read the chapter, then later in the day watched that segment on the movie. Something was in the movie...and I said 'wait a minute, I don't remember that'...went back to read it again, and sure enough there it was.

It's Christmas Eve everybody! Here's to hoping that you all have a Merry Christmas with friends and family.

For those who are hurting (Bev) we pray that God will send you comfort and hope for your family at this time. I, like many others on here are thinking of you and praying for his guiding hands to cover you and your family with love and comfort.

Good Christmas Eve Morning D

The weather outside is frightful at 58° and our high will be 75° this afternoon with sustained winds at 25 MPH and heavy thunderstorms off of the Gulf. This will bring a drop in the temperature for Christmas Day and the weekend.

I trust all are ready for Christmas Day and it brings you tidings of joy. If you are hurting this years I pray God bring comfort and peace in your spirit. We will have our traditional day with a worship and candle light service this afternoon and lots of cooking this evening.

Take care D League

images

Have you been paying attention to UK basketball's most wins, all time. Well it is slipping away and Kansas is now within 9 games of tying the Cats. All time wins at present are

Kentucky 2,319
Kansas 2,310
North Carolina 2,280

Kansas is winning and Kentucky is losing and if things don't change could over take UK this season. Someone needs to send Calipari a text to let him know it is time to win some games.

Have you been paying attention to UK basketball's most wins, all time. Well it is slipping away and Kansas is now within 9 games of tying the Cats. All time wins at present are

Kentucky 2,319
Kansas 2,310
North Carolina 2,280

Kansas is winning and Kentucky is losing and if things don't change could over take UK this season. Someone needs to send Calipari a text to let him know it is time to win some games.
Here's what I want for Christmas: The NCAA to grow a pair and punish Kansas for rampant cheating, including making them forfeit about 30 games won with De Sousa, who evidence shows was bought by the shoe company to play for the Jailhawks after Self said he needed players.

My son came home last night who we haven’t seen in months .knowing how he loves Asian food, I looked up some recipes. Found one for Asian quail. We happened to have some quail in the freezer, so I made that. My wife and son said it was one of the best things they had eaten in a long time. So I guess I’d bring that.

Here's what I want for Christmas: The NCAA to grow a pair and punish Kansas for rampant cheating, including making them forfeit about 30 games won with De Sousa, who evidence shows was bought by the shoe company to play for the Jailhawks after Self said he needed players.
I agree Kansas seems to get by like Carolina and Duke. Never any consequence. I doubt anything happens to them so UK must get back to winning. Our destiny is in our hand and Calipari needs to understand every game counts. He needs to beat somebody and start this Saturday. Time is running out.

I'm not a bad cook at all, but my wife is fantastic and she enjoys it! I wouldn't know where to start to be honest. Her lasagna, dressing, or risotto w/ parmesean & mushrooms are to die for....

Some have asked about Bev, where is the Don?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT