ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Do any of the D have traditional meals for Christmas Eve. We have a special meal every year after we go to church for our candlelight service. We have 3 services 1) 3:00 2) 4:30 and 3) 6:00. We usually go to the second one which gives us a little time to prepare our Christmas Eve meal.

Our meal is the same every year and has been for as long as I can remember. I make a very simple oyster stew and we serve it with toasted Cuban bread with plenty of butter. I also make a cream of potato soup if one does not want oysters. I just substitute potatoes and bacon for the oysters.

I go to the seafood market and pick up a fresh shucked oysters. No canned ones or frozen. They have to be fresh, right out of the shell. The recipe is very simple with basic ingredients. It is important to include the liquid from the oysters. This is per serving.
  • 2 cups of half and half
  • 1 cup oysters, liquid also
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp celery salt
  • Black pepper
  • Cayenne pepper
  • Tabasco Sauce
Bring your half and half to a near boil (don't boil) and add oysters and butter. Remove from heat and let is set until the oysters curl and are cooked. That only takes a minute or so.
OysterPairings_F_1920x1280.jpg

This is the first time in years that we will not go to my sister's house for Christmas eve. We usually have smoked ham, meatballs, shrimp, etc. She has not been that well, and we certainly don't want to get her sick.

My wife is calling me for Movie Time. She picked out The Bishops Wife. Don't tell her, but I had a major crush on Loretta Young growing up as a boy so I can't wait.

Popping some corn and away we go.

I always said that if I came back in another life, I would want to look like Cary Grant, or Robert Redford.

Sent a priority mail envelope to my daughter in N. Georgia last Thursday. Was told it would be there yesterday (Monday). OK, not 2 day but I understand the Christmas rush. Still not there and last tracking update is the same as it was Sunday showing it's in Chatanooga.

I'm sure USPS as well as UPS changes delivery routes, etc often (as needed), but it seems like USPS has totally changed theirs. Over all the years I've shipped things from here to there, it's never taken more than 2 days....which I always thought was amazing. It would go from my small town P.O. to a larger town P.O. then to the airport where it would go to Atlanta, and then by truck to N. Georgia. Now....it went from our P.O. to the larger P.O, and the next tracking was Cincy, then Chatanooga. I got something from just south of Atlanta a couple weeks ago and it was the same....followed I-75 all the way North.

You would not be a stranger in my home. I guarantee you the minute you walked through the door we could start talking to each like we have known one another for a long, long time.

Ask Bert. He can tell you. We have never met but talk on the phone for an hour like old ladies. People on the D League have a common bond and that comes across in each post.
So Come In Stranger

Bert is pretty long-winded. :) But, he is very easy to talk to. Great folks. After you get to know most of the folks on the D, it is like you have known them forever. You know about their families, their likes and dislikes, their ailments, and just about everything else about them.

You would not be a stranger in my home. I guarantee you the minute you walked through the door we could start talking to each like we have known one another for a long, long time.

Ask Bert. He can tell you. We have never met but talk on the phone for an hour like old ladies. People on the D League have a common bond and that comes across in each post.
So Come In Stranger
I believe that 100 percent. You can tell when people are sincere, if you are raised right. And I was. And the same to you Sawnee. You’re ever in southern Kentucky and want or need anything, holler. I’m near deaf, but I’ll answer.

[laughing]

No, not this time. Great exercise. Back up to 4 miles/day. Plan on hitting 6/day after the new year.
Since I started working from home, I’ve been walking more than the Israelites out of Egypt - a hike before work when I would have been riding the subway, one after lunch then one when I’d have been commuting home. That’d be obsessive if there was anything else to do, but otherwise I’d be sitting in a home office 12 hours a day.

Since I started working from home, I’ve been walking more than the Israelites out of Egypt - a hike before work when I would have been riding the subway, one after lunch then one when I’d have been commuting home. That’d be obsessive if there was anything else to do, but otherwise I’d be sitting in a home office 12 hours a day.
Ha ha, good for you.

Same with me. My day begins with system checks around 5:15 am via VPN. Then I address requests or provide quick, one-off tech support. 45 minute walk begins around 6:00 am. I usually return around 7 am and jump back on tickets, email and phone calls. Another 30 minute walk at lunch. I just started back on fast 2-mile walks after work.

Otherwise, I'd sit here in our home office from 5:00 am - 3:30 pm daily.

Good morning from ATX. We've got a balmy 64°F, cloudy and windy, with winds out of the south. Warm. Today's high may reach 78°F before our next front moves in tonight. That's okay, as we'll drop down into the 30s by this time tomorrow.

I'll keep it short this morning. Wishing happiness and health during this holiday season to all our fellow D-League members.

15723387_699645863531660_3264902355819208865_o.jpg

Morning Legionnaires!

Made some 2 ingredient fudge yesterday. One peanut butter and one chocolate. The chocolate was not bad but the peanut butter was very good. I altered it a bit on the quantity of peanut butter by adding just a couple ounces more of peanut butter. Takes only minutes to make and a couple of hours to set and then...over eating. Daughter thinks it is too rich (although she liked it) but, she and the wife like sweets to be less sweet. They need to visit Europe. I will tweak the chocolate one for the next go round to fit their taste.

God Bless all of you today and let's keep in mind (those of you still working) that it is time to slow down and enjoy the days when you are off. Had to tell my wife that yesterday. She is getting a little overwhelmed by the "task" of preparing. I told her that I would clean the house and do all of the task except preparing the meal for Christmas. She wants that to be hers and hers alone. She has more presents to wrap for her mother, brother, our daughter and the couple of friends we have over. Was tired last night and regretting having to do that so I said "Leave it" I have this so, rest tonight. She finally listened. She still has to work today and then is off until Tuesday.

Charlie Mike!

Good morning D-League. Happy day for us here in Maryland. My son drove in from Lexington overnight, joining my daughter home from Austin, so we're a family again, for the most part. My older daughter in Kansas City is pregnant and her doctor won't let her travel because of Covid fears, so we knew they weren't coming.

My son was thoughtful enough to get up after three hours sleep and go on my morning walk with me. He's hating "Covid classes" where you just sit behind a laptop and pretend to learn, so we're going to figure something out with that. My advice will be to step away from it, work the two jobs he has, and go back when the world returns to normal. But we haven't had that talk yet.

I hope it is a good day for all D-Leaguers.

Good Wednesday Morning

We are at a cool 44° with warm sunshine that will get us up 76° by midafternoon. Something is going on in the Gulf because I got an email notification of a "gale watch" that extends south of my from Tarpon Springs to a little North of me at the Suwannee River. The extends out 20 miles from the coast. Small craft should avoid going out.

May God bless all today and everyone stay safe and in good health. One of my best friends on earth who I have known all of my life will undergo surgery at 10:00 this morning to have a rod placed in his back from T8 to T11. He fell and fractured his back last week and and has not been allowed to move since. The cause of his fall was Parkinson Disease which cause his imbalance. To complicate that he has a blocked bowel and they had to clear this before surgery.

It is hard to see him flat on his back because he is one who has always been so active in life. Hunting, fishing and sports were a big part of his life. We played ball together during our youth and soft ball for many years. So a lot on his plate and he has my continued prayers.

safe_image.php

Good Wednesday Morning

We are at a cool 44° with warm sunshine that will get us up 76° by midafternoon. Something is going on in the Gulf because I got an email notification of a "gale watch" that extends south of my from Tarpon Springs to a little North of me at the Suwannee River. The extends out 20 miles from the coast. Small craft should avoid going out.

May God bless all today and everyone stay safe and in good health. One of my best friends on earth who I have known all of my life will undergo surgery at 10:00 this morning to have a rod placed in his back from T8 to T11. He fell and fractured his back last week and and has not been allowed to move since. The cause of his fall was Parkinson Disease which cause his imbalance. To complicate that he has a blocked bowel and they had to clear this before surgery.

It is hard to see him flat on his back because he is one who has always been so active in life. Hunting, fishing and sports were a big part of his life. We played ball together during our youth and soft ball for many years. So a lot on his plate and he has my continued prayers.

safe_image.php
Wishing the best for your friend. My mother has Parkinson’s (she is 89). I worry every day about a fall, as she has trouble getting her feet to move sometimes. She has fallen before, but without serious injury. But I’m afraid it’s coming, it’s a terrible disease.

Good morning D, cold here this morning, but still a beautiful day!

Bert, the package is on the move again!!! It's in Nashville 6:56 pm, which means it probably means it went thru BG yesterday! Oh well as the mail churns!!!!

Got some good viewing of Jupiter and Saturn last, as well as the moon, I have a 9mm lens that really lets you get a good look at the creators and mountains.

I hope everyone has a great day and prayers for the D!!!

Wishing the best for your friend. My mother has Parkinson’s (she is 89). I worry every day about a fall, as she has trouble getting her feet to move sometimes. She has fallen before, but without serious injury. But I’m afraid it’s coming, it’s a terrible disease.
Thank you for the kind words, this is his pattern also. Falling and losing his balance. It is sad to see a man deteriorate like this especially one who was so active and full of life. Always a smile and always a good word to encourage.

Good Wednesday Morning

safe_image.php

Hope all goes well for your friend.

A Christmas Eve-Eve Morning to all.

Last I checked the weather (will Accuweather be Accu?) there is a good chance of a small amount of snow tomorrow and Christmas. Not much...inch or two at most....but snow showers. So it'll look and feel (very cold) like Christmas.

Question of the day....what's Pfeffernusse?
"Peppercorn" or spiced holiday cookies. Nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger give it the spicy flavor. Usually includes a hard shell and powdered sugar coating. I ate many back in the day and during holiday visits to Germany in 2012. Extremely popular over there and parts of US this time of year.

A Christmas Eve-Eve Morning to all.

Last I checked the weather (will Accuweather be Accu?) there is a good chance of a small amount of snow tomorrow and Christmas. Not much...inch or two at most....but snow showers. So it'll look and feel (very cold) like Christmas.

Question of the day....what's Pfeffernusse?

Small spice cookie. Tasty.

For all the coffee lovers here on the D. The world's most expensive coffee at only $1,000/lb.. Before you go out and buy some you might want to check out how it's processed:

The irresistible appeal of this rare coffee comes from its natural refining process, by elephants. Black Ivory comes from something its retailers call “natural processing by elephants.” Black Ivory starts as Arabica beans fed to elephants in northern Thailand. The elephant’s digestive tract releases an enzyme that gives the beans a uniquely mellow and smooth taste. Of course, the beans have to be retrieved from massive mounds of elephant poop. They are cleaned, dried, roasted, and made available to the public in small quantities by the Black Ivory Coffee Company.

Good morning D, cold here this morning, but still a beautiful day!

Bert, the package is on the move again!!! It's in Nashville 6:56 pm, which means it probably means it went thru BG yesterday! Oh well as the mail churns!!!!

Got some good viewing of Jupiter and Saturn last, as well as the moon, I have a 9mm lens that really lets you get a good look at the creators and mountains.

I hope everyone has a great day and prayers for the D!!!

Well, whenever it gets there it sure will have a story to tell.

For all the coffee lovers here on the D. The world's most expensive coffee at only $1,000/lb.. Before you go out and buy some you might want to check out how it's processed:

The irresistible appeal of this rare coffee comes from its natural refining process, by elephants. Black Ivory comes from something its retailers call “natural processing by elephants.” Black Ivory starts as Arabica beans fed to elephants in northern Thailand. The elephant’s digestive tract releases an enzyme that gives the beans a uniquely mellow and smooth taste. Of course, the beans have to be retrieved from massive mounds of elephant poop. They are cleaned, dried, roasted, and made available to the public in small quantities by the Black Ivory Coffee Company.

Nope.

Good Wednesday Morning

safe_image.php
Hoping for the best results for your friend.

"Peppercorn" or spiced holiday cookies. Nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger give it the spicy flavor. Usually includes a hard shell and powdered sugar coating. I ate many back in the day and during holiday visits to Germany in 2012. Extremely popular over there and parts of US this time of year.
They look mighty good. Had never heard of them, but maybe I've had them without knowing the name. Had an Aunt who was German (my Uncle was a full-bird and they met over there after the war when he was there for a few years)....she was an incredible baker.

Good Wednesday Morning

safe_image.php
My Grandpa died from Parkinson's and now my little brother has it. Was diagnosed about 6 years ago at the age of 52 or 53. Way, way too young. Lot of medication these days that they didn't have back in the 50s with Grandpa, but from what I know/read it makes it bearable but just delays things. My brother has lost about all movement, etc with his right hand/arm.

One thing I didn't realize about P.D. until I saw the commercial they run quite often is how you can have hallucinations with it. My older brother tells me a story of Grandpa when we were in S. Ky. visiting him and relatives (I was probably about 3 or 4 and don't remember it) how Grandpa suddenly one day when we were at my Uncle's farm, took off running and yelling and jumped about a 4 foot fence. Had a hallucination of some sorts we imagine because he was fine and just took off.

Think I'll stick with my once-daily K-Cup breakfast blend for now.

Good morning D-League. Happy day for us here in Maryland. My son drove in from Lexington overnight, joining my daughter home from Austin, so we're a family again, for the most part. My older daughter in Kansas City is pregnant and her doctor won't let her travel because of Covid fears, so we knew they weren't coming.

My son was thoughtful enough to get up after three hours sleep and go on my morning walk with me. He's hating "Covid classes" where you just sit behind a laptop and pretend to learn, so we're going to figure something out with that. My advice will be to step away from it, work the two jobs he has, and go back when the world returns to normal. But we haven't had that talk yet.

I hope it is a good day for all D-Leaguers.
My granddaughter is at UK and is going through the same crap. It costs $6,700 for dorm and food ticket a semester and she could be doing that from home. Why pay to be on campus?

My granddaughter is at UK and is going through the same crap. It costs $6,700 for dorm and food ticket a semester and she could be doing that from home. Why pay to be on campus?
Well said, Bert. I'm going to counsel my son to take a break - or at least dial things waaaay back - until full classes in person resume. Who cares if he gets out six months or a year later? College is supposed to be a rich time of life filled with more than just the teacher's words rendered through a device. I'd hate to see him cheated out of that full experience.

Prayers out for Sawnee's friend and OC's younger brother. Still praying for Bev and her family, too. Lots of reasons to be talking with the Lord. Hope everyone has a blessed Christmas. I'm not going anywhere, and will be on the board, but I just felt the urge to wish everyone the best. I guess the fewer Christmas' you have left, the more you value them.

Well said, Bert. I'm going to counsel my son to take a break - or at least dial things waaaay back - until full classes in person resume. Who cares if he gets out six months or a year later? College is supposed to be a rich time of life filled with more than just the teacher's words rendered through a device. I'd hate to see him cheated out of that full experience.

Plus, if you can defer those costs till next year, I'm sure the democrats will try to give something away. After all, those kids vote.

Morning folks of the D-League.

Sorry about your buddy Swanee. l lot an old friend Arnold Lobb this week, he basically died of old age but Covid-19 got him at near 87 years old. Arnold was the TV/Radio repairman in our little town. I would walk my girlfriend home after school and hang out the the shop. Arnold and Leland actually taught me a whole lot about electronics and I could actually repair some sets. Now the technology is totally changed.

Cordmaker the badges are only increasing in value and will soon be antiques! When life give you lemons make lemonade!

I am going to my daughters house Thursday and Friday. I will get to see the immediate family so it will be a good Christmas even though I am not in a Christmas mood.

It is really windy here this morning and as my dad would say: it is blowing up a storm.

You all have a Merry Christmas and remember the reason for the season.

Plus, if you can defer those costs till next year, I'm sure the democrats will try to give something away. After all, those kids vote.
lol. That's a good point Ben. Unfortunately, I'm one of those fools who actually saved for years and paid for all my kids' college -- two graduates and my son so far -- so Biden's plan to 'forgive' student debt will only emphasize that responsibility is out of fashion.

Wonder if after they drink a cup they say" Man this $hit's good"!!!!!

Thank you for the kind words, this is his pattern also. Falling and losing his balance. It is sad to see a man deteriorate like this especially one who was so active and full of life. Always a smile and always a good word to encourage.

I had a brother-in-law who fit this description to a tee. The sisters and he and I retired to Phoenix 13 years ago specifically to be able to do things together in our retirement years. He had mild symptoms of Parkinson's when we came. It advanced quickly and he became the proverbial poster boy of Parkinson's. Swiveled up, shaking little man in the wheelchair who was 98% disabled. His mental faculties remained but he was too embarrassed to be seen in that condition and refused to leave his house. He passed away three years ago.

Horrible affliction.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT