ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Good Sunday morning everyone

What a boring Saturday. Originally, I had cleared my calendar and said "No" to others to be able to watch 4 days of March Madness. The rain, very little sleep the night before, KY getting eliminated early, and realizing it's been ??? years since a good tourney for us just had me down. I got a little done, but I couldn't shake the ho-hums.

Well, on to a better Sunday. Hopefully church and some decent weather will help me out.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Last edited:
Good morning folks. Fixin’ to depart Kentucky after spending a bit more time with mom. I’ll try to get back in three weeks, if things are holding steady that long.

Looks like a rainy drive today, through the mountains. I’ve lived a life of my own choosing and feel a lot of satisfaction in it, and my parents always supported me. But days like this I envy my brothers and sister who can literally walk over or drive five minutes to be with family.

My daughter from Kansas City has been here this weekend and she’s a great comfort to my mother. And I’ve been lucky to spend time with her as well. So thankful.

You all have a good day.

Good morning from Kentucky folks.

Mom was glad to see me yesterday. She has lost so much weight and looks frail but we were able to spend a long time talking. It’s a sad time but glad to be with her.

Rough drive. I was just starting to look for a stop on I-79 near Morgantown because of my still tricky bladder after my recent operation when traffic came to a total stop. A truck had turned over blocking all lanes. We sat there for more than an hour not moving an inch with my bladder torturing me. Then when we could move again I was distracted looking for an exit and drop into a speed trap —70 dropped to 55 for no reason at all —and I got a ticket.

Ah well. Glad to finally make it home. I hope all is well with you folks and the weekend is good.
From 1976 to 2000 I lived away, so I know exactly what you are going through.

As an aside, Ritchie Curtis always spends the first weekend of the NCAA with Sherry and I. We discussed you while we were going through some old DVD's. I DID NOT say anything nasty! :)

Jumping Joe Fulks, a western Ky boy credited with inventing the jump shot. Long, but interesting story.

Jumping Joe Fulks, a western Ky boy credited with inventing the jump shot. Long, but interesting story.

I was driving through Clintwood/Pound, Va, which is close to the KY border, last year sometime and saw signs of a great B-ball player way back in history and saw something about inventor of the jump shot. I checked on him when I returned home and sure enough plenty of stories online about him. I suspect there are a bunch of players that lay claim to the inventor of the jump shot.

I was driving through Clintwood/Pound, Va, which is close to the KY border, last year sometime and saw signs of a great B-ball player way back in history and saw something about inventor of the jump shot. I checked on him when I returned home and sure enough plenty of stories online about him. I suspect there are a bunch of players that lay claim to the inventor of the jump shot.

True, it is hard to know the real first, but Joe went on to be "the" big star of pro ball for a few years at the time. Led the NBA forerunner in scoring a couple of times, so a lot of kids copied him.

Saluting-Legionnaire.jpg

Morning legionnaires!

Low 40's this morning with light rain and moderate winds. Rain to continue throughout the afternoon.

Well, we finished emptying and cleaning MIL and BIL's apartment Saturday morning so, me and my daughter went to the storage place to wait for BIL and my wife to come back with the UHAUL truck. Nope. Neither MIL or BIL called to reserve one which I told them the week before to do. BIL said that MIL told him she would but never did. Now we must wait until 0700 this morning to call Penske who said they should have one ready today out of OKC. MIL does not want to go and has been stalling for quite some time now. I had told my wife they would not make it out by this past weekend, and she said that she felt that her mother was serious this time. Nope, they have been staying here since Friday night.

MIL apologized to me for the first time ever last night for the way she has been acting. Who knows, perhaps we will get a truck today and they will be out by tomorrow. Wife has to take today off from work (as she did Friday) to help load the truck since BIL and MIL have bad backs.

Monday, Monday, La La La La La La... Looks like I will be grinding today like some of you others.

Last edited:
Saluting-Legionnaire.jpg

Morning legionnaires!

Low 40's this morning with light rain and moderate winds. Rain to continue throughout the afternoon.

Well, we finished emptying and cleaning MIL and BIL's apartment Saturday morning so, me and my daughter went to the storage place to wait for BIL and my wife to come back with the UHAUL truck. Nope. Neither MIL or BIL called to reserve one which I told them the week before to do. BIL said that MIL told him she would but never did. Now we must wait until 0700 this morning to call Penske who said they should have one ready today out of OKC. MIL does not want to go and has been stalling for quite some time now. I had told my wife they would not make it out by this past weekend, and she said that she felt that her mother was serious this time. Nope, they have been staying here since Friday night.

MIL apologized to me for the first time ever last night for the way she has been acting. Who knows, perhaps we will get a truck today and they will be out by tomorrow. Wife has to take today off of work (as she did Friday) to help load the truck since BIL and MIL have bad backs.

Monday, Monday, La La La La La La... Looks like I will be grinding today like some of you others.
Nothing would give me greater pleasure than packing my MIL things up and sending her off to Florida for good. It would do my wife a world of good. Me too and everyone else she comes in contact with.

Starting my 4th, and hopefully final, stint of jury duty. I've sat on 6 trials, 5 civil and one criminal and most of the time I get chosen as foreman. Lucky me.

Only 2 SEC teams, Bama and UT, make it past the first weekend. Not a great showing.

Nothing would give me greater pleasure than packing my MIL things up and sending her off to Florida for good. It would do my wife a world of good. Me too and everyone else she comes in contact with.

Starting my 4th, and hopefully final, stint of jury duty. I've sat on 6 trials, 5 civil and one criminal and most of the time I get chosen as foreman. Lucky me.

Only 2 SEC teams, Bama and UT, make it past the first weekend. Not a great showing.
Been on two stints of jury duty only to sit on one trial. Child abuse in which the case was clear as a bell with the mother having beaten her son leaving cuts and scars all over the body, burned him with cigarettes, and pushed him down in a tub hitting his face on the spicket cutting a big gash over and around his eye. The boy told the story and who did it. She had already lost 3 kids to child services in Chicago, and 1 in Minnesota for similar actions.

We had two charges with one being child abuse and the other knowledgeable neglect. She blamed a boyfriend so... When we took a vote of guilty or innocent, we had one juror who would not vote guilty on the first count because she was black and so was he citing that the system was rigged against her. The first count would have given up to 20 years and the second only 5. He said he would not give in. I told him neither would I which would result in a hung jury, and she would have to go back to jail and wait for another trial date. He was pissed at me but finally gave into the second as we compromised. She got 2 years in prison with some time already served. However, after that is up she has to be taken to Chicago to stand trial for the ones there. That is why she was in Lawton Oklahoma, to get away from that problem.

From 1976 to 2000 I lived away, so I know exactly what you are going through.

As an aside, Ritchie Curtis always spends the first weekend of the NCAA with Sherry and I. We discussed you while we were going through some old DVD's. I DID NOT say anything nasty! :)
Hey Bert -- Give Ritchie my regards when next you speak with him. WHile I've never had the pleasure he strikes me as a terrific, thoughtful guy. I've enjoyed interacting with him for years now.

Back from Kentucky, and back to work. My family has been deeply committed to the Cats since 1944 -- when my uncle, Garnett Hause, Jr., was leading scorer on that Brooksville high school team that so impressed Adolph Rupp that he offered the ENTIRE STARTING FIVE scholarships. Sadly for my uncle -- he has found to have a severe hernia that fall and never got to play for Rupp. A couple of the others off that team were contributors to the 1948 championship.

I mention that, because with this year's early tournament exit, interest in teh Cats has cratered. No one even had the energy to talk about replacements for Cal. Sad days.

As we have some old timers here who followed Kentucky high school basketball, here's a summary of my uncle's playing career, for a high school hall of fame that inducted him.

Hey Bert -- Give Ritchie my regards when next you speak with him. WHile I've never had the pleasure he strikes me as a terrific, thoughtful guy. I've enjoyed interacting with him for years now.

Back from Kentucky, and back to work. My family has been deeply committed to the Cats since 1944 -- when my uncle, Garnett Hause, Jr., was leading scorer on that Brooksville high school team that so impressed Adolph Rupp that he offered the ENTIRE STARTING FIVE scholarships. Sadly for my uncle -- he has found to have a severe hernia that fall and never got to play for Rupp. A couple of the others off that team were contributors to the 1948 championship.

I mention that, because with this year's early tournament exit, interest in teh Cats has cratered. No one even had the energy to talk about replacements for Cal. Sad days.

As we have some old timers here who followed Kentucky high school basketball, here's a summary of my uncle's playing career, for a high school hall of fame that inducted him.

Good story. My dad grew up in the depression and had to quit school in the third grade (oldest kid in family) to work on the small family farm, so he never played organized sports, but I recall him in backyard games shooting set shots and granny free throws that were popular in the day.

Good story. My dad grew up in the depression and had to quit school in the third grade (oldest kid in family) to work on the small family farm, so he never played organized sports, but I recall him in backyard games shooting set shots and granny free throws that were popular in the day.
Thanks Bernie. By the way, glancing at this HOF summary, they needed a better researcher. My uncle didn't "pass away in 1974." We had lots of good times after that. He was a bit of a mentor, and later a supporter, as I began my career working overseas. He died in February 1991 -- at the time I was embedded with the Big Red One waiting out the invasion of Iraq to free Kuwait, and I never got to go to the funeral. But just before I left the states for Baghdad, then Saudi Arabia in August, 1990, my sister got married, and I spent a long time chatting with my uncle about what was shaping up to be the world wide response to Saddam that became Desert Storm.

Ritchie did not leave until noon today, so I told him about your post and gave him your regards. He is a great fellow.

Ritchie married his wife in Smiths Grove's chapel and Sherry and I stood up with him. He is my best friend that I meet on the internet. He comes up three or four times a year.

Additionally he started out as a Southern Baptist preacher, he got his degrees from Georgetown and South Baptist Theological Seminary (Louisville). He still can be found on YouTube in a church in San Antonio. He is a great speaker.

Ritchie did not leave until noon today, so I told him about your post and gave him your regards. He is a great fellow.

Ritchie married his wife in Smiths Grove's chapel and Sherry and I stood up with him. He is my best friend that I meet on the internet. He comes up three or four times a year.

Additionally he started out as a Southern Baptist preacher, he got his degrees from Georgetown and South Baptist Theological Seminary (Louisville). He still can be found on YouTube in a church in San Antonio. He is a great speaker.
That is all good to know about Ritchie Curtis, Bert. I'll look him up on Youtube. Thanks. Yeah, I could tell from my interactions he is a positive, caring fellow.

Everyone telling about their dog/s......I have two dogs. 5-1/2 yrs old. Goldendoodles (mutts) The female has always had what I call poodle eyes...really weepy.........I clean them sometime three - four times.......she also has been having skin problems for a while.......we started thinking allergies so quit giving any treats/extras.....that didn't help....I changed their diet from Purina Pro Plan sensitive skin/stomach to Purina plus......both quality foods......last Tuesday I got up and her eyes were almost matted shut......I cleaned them and noticed that they were a little puffy.....I thought conjunctivitis at first...forward to Friday and by that evening her eyes had swollen shut......I had already told the Director that morning that come Monday I was taking her to a vet I know through the pigeon game.....only he lives in Indy and leaves out early on Friday.......When I got back from breakfast Saturday I had to carry her outside......I had cleaned her eyes but they were like she had a grey lenses over her pupil.....I carried her outside since she hadn't been out of her cage for 14 hrs......she has been in season so I put her in the dog kennel.....to keep Mr. Horny away from her......when I let her out she wandered over to about where the door at the side steps to the deck is.....she was hitting the wall and lifting her paw.......she couldn't see anything her eyes were clouded over so bad......I loaded her up and went to the emergency room........six hours of waiting and almost $1,000 the vet said she had a acute reaction to fleas......a skin problem and the eyes.......they couldn't find anything with the eyes other than they had clouded over till she couldn't see.........blood test among every other test they could give her came back negative.........the vet gave me some steroids, and some antibiotics......some medicated shampoo and some Omega 3 fish oil to help with the skin.........I made an appointment with a vet that is also a optimoligist..........for Thursday afernoon........today is two full days of steroids and antibiotics......her eyes are not bright and clear but the are barely cloudy.....I can see the eye color and her pupils.....she is getting back to herself again.......she might not even have to go see the $$$$$$$vet on Thursday........if her eyes clear up......the vet said if we couldn't figure out the opauge eyes that she would be blind and well.......you guys know the deal.......I have been sick about my dog since Friday evening.........things are looking up for sure........sorry to ramble on like this but man.......these two dogs are the first I have ever raised from puppies......they are smart and trained.......I thought I was going to loose one of them....

Good morning from ATX. Currently 54°F and partly cloudy. Light wind from the north. Today's high expected around 66°F.

Good to be back. Well, not really. Wife and I are really, REALLY, saddened out about loss of our pup. She was 11.5 years old. Between liver issues, pancreatitis and finally aortic vein, it became too much keeping her alive.

I'm not flying to FL this weekend for the wedding. Cancelled flight and car rental. Wife and I are too bummed about loss of our little buddy. Also too much going on. Called nephew and explained situation. He understands.

3 day work week. Off Good Friday.

Wishing y'all a great day.

0326NATIONALSPINACHDAY.png

Good morning folks.

Today is my wife’s birthday -the last of a coincidental cluster for me in late March -dad 20, daughter 21, wife 26. We’re meeting after work at a down town French restaurant she likes. I’ve known her since she was 23, started spending time with her when she was about 25. She’s still a beautiful woman at 60, so lucky me.

Gotta grind out a work day first. Hope you all have a good one.

Good morning folks.

Today is my wife’s birthday -the last of a coincidental cluster for me in late March -dad 20, daughter 21, wife 26. We’re meeting after work at a down town French restaurant she likes. I’ve known her since she was 23, started spending time with her when she was about 25. She’s still a beautiful woman at 60, so lucky me.

Gotta grind out a work day first. Hope you all have a good one.
I know the feeling, easy to keep track of for sure. I have twin sons whose birthday is May 20th. One of them has triplet sons whose birthday is May 11th. They have another son who has a birthday on August 30th, and a daughter August 18th. My wife August 3rd, me August 1st, and I have a brother August 19th. It is almost like Christmas spending levels during those 2 months. Oh, and by the way, MIL's is the 30th of July.

I was on federal jury duty one time........I was on call for six months.......I had really long hair, facial hair and I was only 19 yrs old......I didn't get picked for many cases......there was a gentleman that was in our pool that made it a very enjoyable time when you had to sit all morning in the jury room.......His name was Big Six Henderson......he was a federal marshal from western KY......he had stories and stories.......and he was a good story teller......heck of a nice guy.....

I was on federal jury duty one time........I was on call for six months.......I had really long hair, facial hair and I was only 19 yrs old......I didn't get picked for many cases......there was a gentleman that was in our pool that made it a very enjoyable time when you had to sit all morning in the jury room.......His name was Big Six Henderson......he was a federal marshal from western KY......he had stories and stories.......and he was a good story teller......heck of a nice guy.....
Big Six is a legend.

Saluting-Legionnaire.jpg

38° this morning with light winds.

MIL and BIL leaving this morning for Florida. After much stalling by MIL, we finally got their Penske truck in. In fact, when I found out they ordered a 22' truck I told them that it was way too big, and I changed it to a 16' truck. They were all worried and saying that they had too much stuff but, I helped move that stuff to their storage container and knew better. Plus, the storage area was too small for a 22' truck, and they wanted to fill up my truck and drive back and forth out of the storage area to a place they could park the truck and load it there. :rolleyes:

When finished only about 3/4 of the 16-footer was filled. Could have probably used a 12-footer. I wanted to set it all up in the beginning, but MIL complained that it was her move, and she would make all of the decisions on what size truck and how things were to be loaded. She stayed in the front of the truck while we loaded it. The morning was cold and windy, and I told her I was going to load it the way I wanted to no matter what. Plus, she could not lift anything or move for that matter and would just be in the way.

They will be leaving this morning at 0700.

Good morning folks.

Nice birthday evening for my wife last night. We went to a French bistro she likes called Le Diplomate in the Logan Circle neighborhood which is a beautiful area in DC — Lovely four-story 19th Century townhouses lined with cherry and magnolia trees, some of which house embassies for small countries or national or global interest groups. Very colorful. People from all over the US and the world.

The food was fine —damn good French onion soup and Steak Frites -a flank steak and fries with some sort of creamy sauce.

Walking along after dinner we found ourselves passing a little neighborhood bar and grill called Stan’s where we met for an early date 35 years ago. Great memories.

Back to work now. Hope you all have a good day.

Hello all,

No better happened today on the UK front. I am sure not happier in that area. Started watching the "interview" abruptly stopped after near ten minutes. Ridiculous....

I have several irons in the fire.. Lot's happening on that front. Nothing finalized but, man-o-man am I engaged in several areas. I am thankful! Have a restful evening....

Good morning everyone.

I've been busy with life but was trying to watch intently for info (mainly RR) about a new coach. Well, that didn't work. I didn't watch Mitch and Cal last night so if any of you want to chime in with info that would be good. Everyone's agenda (both sides) overrides the info in RR.

This year I don't think I can or want to keep up with the old who stays/who goes and then later do we get this transfer or not. I still hope we can go on a run next year but won't be working my schedule around to watch.

Enough of that and on to something more upbeat. We cashed out a CD yesterday, made all the arrangements for our funerals, and paid for them. No kids, so planned to get it done before 60 and did. We also plan to get our tombstone done in a couple more years. We have a small family cemetery here on our property so may even get it set before either of us........

Cool, but nice weather here today. I hope everyone gets a chance to enjoy it.

Saluting-Legionnaire.jpg

32° this morning with light winds. High today in the low 60's with 15-20mph winds.

Moved on from the NCAA tournament and will be wearing Reds gear today when I go out to do the honeydo list. Reds Play at 3:10pm central time today and I will be watching so...

On the same lines of baseball, softball starts on 14 April for me (maybe). Still battling Plantar Fasciitis and now have pain in the rotator cuff area of my right arm. Getting old I guess, but I still plan on playing. Have had this kind of pain before (rotator cuff pain) and it goes away after a few days.

Well, hopeful all got over the hump without much trouble so, slide on down the other side and roll in to the weekend.

God Bless and stay safe.

Good morning folks.

Another crazy day on the subway. A melee breaks out between this fairly big man and a good sized woman who is shrieking and howling. When I turn, I see her wailing at the guy, landing punches, but he is being aggressive too, so I reluctantly decide someone needs to break this up before it gets out of hand. Luckily a young Black guy joins me so I’m not just making it racial. We try to get between them but the woman is still throwing haymakers. Someone has called the cops and a metro security guard shows up. The guy runs away and the woman, of course, turns on the guard, cursing him in vile terms, before she runs after him.

Just another day.

Hope it is peaceful where you are.

Last edited:
@warrior-cat I have a buddy in Louisville who will be 87 this summer. He still plays softball in a senior league and still runs the bases his self. I call and talk to him every so often just to feel better about getting older.

Is it bad that I'm kind of embarrassed to wear my UK stuff this time of year?
No, it would just be inviting possible ridicule. I got a text yesterday from an old co-worker who I have not talked to in a long time, and he ask me who I was rooting for now (knowing him, sarcasm). I replied: The Reds, since the season starts tomorrow. His reply: "LOL, I am rooting for Purdue". He is a lifelong Longhorn fan since he was born in Texas.

Good morning folks.

Another crazy day on the subway. A melee breaks out between this fairly big man and a good sized woman who is shrieking and howling. When I turn, I see her wailing at the guy, landing punches, but he is being aggressive too, so I reluctantly decide someone needs to break this up before it gets out of hand. Luckily a young Black guy joins me so I’m not just making it racial. We try to get between them but the woman is still throwing haymakers. Someone has called the cops and a metro security guard shows up. The guy runs away and the woman, of course, turns on the guard before she runs after him.

Just another day.

Hope it is peaceful where you are.
Ah... life in the big city.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT