ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Oops, forgot to check in this morning.

Merry Christmas, y'all.

dont-ever-do-that-dont-you-dare-to-do-that-again.gif

Good morning all,

Just now rousing.. drinking some coffee from yesterday. The last cup. (I made a pot for a couple couples that were driving a couple hours back home though I had their rooms ready to spend the night. (Worked hard to do it too.) Microwaves can be good...

I did 15k steps yesterday and the only time I left my house was to move My Darlings car over in the driveway and to put out our Christmas spotlight or whatever that thing is called that drops a nativity scene on the front of my house... ;)

Great to hear about family coming to visit several. We had a festive time yesterday but darn the house was full. We only have about 2200 SF and it was packed but joyful from what I observed.

Well, plenty of leftovers to eat. I only ate once yesterday all day but I stuffed myself.. ready again to go lighter at it but seriously if that makes sense...

Much to do today to clean up and then do a few things we had planned...

Have a Blessed day!

Good morning everyone

We're having our annual Christmas party with our "kids". My wife's great nephews actually. We don't have kids and have been very close with this group of 4 boys. We've done this annually (plus one in the summer) for about 25 years now. Kids are 21-27 now with wives/finances, girlfriend and one child (the one we babysit every week). As some of these boys grew to teenagers and they said they may not come this time I would have to call/text them and remind them how important this was to their Auntie. It didn't always work, but this time they are all attending without prompting.

Tomorrow church and doing our own thing here then Christmas back to the madhouse at Mom & Dad's.

@MdWIldcat55 I know your son is working fisheries or a fish hatchery. What is he actually doing though? I'd be interested in knowing.

I hope everyone has a great day.
Storm, He's doing everything from helping move tons of live catfish from one breeding area to other locations in Texas, to monitoring the size of fresh water mussels as a biologists' project to determine how to raise them, to repair work on a dam on the site where he is employed. He is slated to get trained and certified by the government as a heavy equipment operator so he can help with backhoes and bulldozers on small construction jobs. And he's slowly angling into work as a Government Archaeologist which is closer to his training at U of Kentucky -- Cultural Resource Management.

I took him around the small town where I grew up in Northern Kentucky last year, and we looked over 4-5 relic sites I'd found as a kid hunting arrowheads (still a hobby of mine.) From that, and from some of my finds, he wrote a paper called "10,000 years of Habitation in One Square mile of Northern Kentucky." He did a good job placing people from the Paleo period through the Woodland period on those sites through relic identification.

I know that's a lot more than you wanted to read but it gives a sense of his orientations.

Storm, He's doing everything from helping move tons of live catfish from one breeding area to other locations in Texas, to monitoring the size of fresh water mussels as a biologists' project to determine how to raise them, to repair work on a dam on the site where he is employed. He is slated to get trained and certified by the government as a heavy equipment operator so he can help with backhoes and bulldozers on small construction jobs. And he's slowly angling into work as a Government Archaeologist which is closer to his training at U of Kentucky -- Cultural Resource Management.

I took him around the small town where I grew up in Northern Kentucky last year, and we looked over 4-5 relic sites I'd found as a kid hunting arrowheads (still a hobby of mine.) From that, and from some of my finds, he wrote a paper called "10,000 years of Habitation in One Square mile of Northern Kentucky." He did a good job placing people from the Paleo period through the Woodland period on those sites through relic identification.

I know that's a lot more than you wanted to read but it gives a sense of his orientations.

That's the "stuff" worth reading. Enjoy pinpointed literature.

Thanks. Arrowheads....another thing I have in common with someone here. I use to find some growing up on farm land in central KY. However, my wife (and her father) are really the ones that have a collection. Maybe a pic later.

Good luck to your son. I loved working with Dept. of Fish and Wildlife. The "other" things other than my main job is what really set it apart from any other job.

Thanks. Arrowheads....another thing I have in common with someone here. I use to find some growing up on farm land in central KY. However, my wife (and her father) are really the ones that have a collection. Maybe a pic later.

Good luck to your son. I loved working with Dept. of Fish and Wildlife. The "other" things other than my main job is what really set it apart from any other job.
Thanks BB and Storm. Glad to see my son finding a path that seems to suit him and that makes him happy.

Storm, I still have all my arrowheads from my younger days. And I’ve expanded my collection by buying some stuff from trusted dealers. So-called “Mailbox Finds.” I enjoy studying the typologies and fixing them on a timeline —Indians lived on that land in the Midwest and south for at least 10,000 and maybe 12,000 years.

Could I get a copy of his paper on "10,000 years of Habitation in One Square mile of Northern Kentucky."? That is right up my alley.

Some of mine:
160242349_3765255130256710_1912376472977834275_n.jpg

Merry Christmas Eve and Good Morning from ATX. Currently 63°F. Today's high expected around 72°F. Good rain chances between 6-9 am. We need the rain.

Heading out for a walk later. Stop by Wally World and Rudy's BBQ. Plan on making cornbread dressing and pudding. Must telephone Germany,

Wishing all a very Merry Christmas.

national-eggnog-day--december-24.png

Good morning D on this Christmas Eve. I love arrow head hunting!!! It's been my therapy along with my stained glass. We've got a friend that let's us hunt on him, 1,400 acres of land. We've found lots of arrow heads. It's got what you need, mounds and water. The best find so far has been a large double sided nutting stone. It's kind of strange how it came about, I found an arrow head one day metal detecting made of Hopkinsville Chert, beautiful grey a white stripe, that was about 15 years ago

Last edited:
Merry Christmas Eve folks.

Bert, thanks for posting those points. Those are nice personal finds. Let me see if my son has that paper in a format I can share. I'd be glad to shoot you a copy if so.

I hope it's a rounding into a nice Christmas Eve for everyone. We're glad to have our two youngest home and nice dinner reservations this evening. Then the usual mayhem tomorrow and a terrific Christmas dinner - my wife's step father is quite the chef and always makes beef tenderloin that has the flavor of prime rib.

Meanwhile, I'll post the below song for any fans. My family was fairly proper and we had nice, wholesome Christmases. But my best friend in Kentucky had an older brother who was always in and out of trouble (eventually he got busted by the FBI for running a stolen car ring out of Ohio into Kentucky and went to prison for a long stretch) and two older sisters who had the devil in them and parents who were borderline alcoholics. In other words, they were a hell of a lot more fun than my family. I'd slip over there as early on Christmas as I could, and this song reminds me of those days...

Last edited:
Good morning this Christmas Eve day...

I hope this day brings you Christ's blessings..,

Got to sleep in today. My Darling has not been feeling well since our gathering. She pushed herself too hard. Hopefully today will turn it around for her...

Our Christmas service is not until 2:30 but My Darling leaves at 1:30. I will go with her ..

Getting ready to go to Lowe's now though and pickup a piece of hard board I ordered. Going to tie it to the top of my car. About a mile away and a straight shot. I dread it though but I need that board..... We shall see...

I have plenty of rope.

Have a blessed day...

Merry Christmas Eve folks.

Bert, thanks for posting those points. Those are nice personal finds. Let me see if my son has that paper in a format I can share. I'd be glad to shoot you a copy if so.

. . . .
Thanks.

I have one book on stone tools but it is not a very good source for trying to identify the tools that I have.

I have a book on the Adena culture and Lewis' "Archaeology of Kentucky" and he hints at the planes Indians wiping that culture out. In Mammoth Cave there were two mummies and both were Adena culture or at the least their clothes were woven instead of all leather.

In my caving days we found some bodies buried in a cave. The Indians did not bury folks in caves so we assumed that they were killed by hostiles and placed there. I got sick after I found out what I was digging up. I did not dig any more. Here are two pictures of the bones and a tool that I don't know what it was used for:
414191629_6964709540311237_6193184307420438802_n.jpg

414144651_6964709360311255_2856400232951576263_n.jpg
413978293_6964709426977915_2688545480372191957_n.jpg

I am sorry about the quality of the pictures but in the 1970's in a dark cave with slow film it is hard to get good pictures.

We called in UK archaeologists after we made the find and I have no idea what they ever determined. But the skulls were damaged, so we assumed they were clubbed to death.

It is hard to get good information because the American Indian Movement wants to paint a lie about native culture.

Man,

Here is one for the record books... Ole BBUK himself, the FIRST time in his life will play the part of Santa Claus this evening for my granddaughter and whoever I pass on the streets....

Yeah,

Dashing down the road in a wrecked up Mazda 3, over to their house I go, to play the part St. Nick....

My oldest bought the full suit... yeah, I will send a pic or two................tomorrow IF the Lord doesn't take me home.... The things I do for my children....

Heading to church in a few minutes... God Bless..

Man,

Here is one for the record books... Ole BBUK himself, the FIRST time in his life will play the part of Santa Claus this evening for my granddaughter and whoever I pass on the streets....

Yeah,

Dashing down the road in a wrecked up Mazda 3, over to their house I go, to play the part St. Nick....

My oldest bought the full suit... yeah, I will send a pic or two................tomorrow IF the Lord doesn't take me home.... The things I do for my children....

Heading to church in a few minutes... God Bless..
When my kids was young, I would slip down to my parents house and call home disgusting my voice as Santa Claus, maybe late 70's, then I had to do it for my friends kids, so now all there's years I am still calling kids, now it's my grandchildren. One of them is catching on, last year he said, hey you sound like my Stepaw. Lol

When my kids was young, I would slip down to my parents house and call home disgusting my voice as Santa Claus, maybe late 70's, then I had to do it for my friends kids, so now all there's years I am still calling kids, now it's my grandchildren. One of them is catching on, last year he said, hey you sound like my Stepaw. Lol

Waiting for final instructions now Sir. Have not donned the suit yet but it seems a nice one down to the boot covers. Not that I embellish looking like St Nick but I do not mind the D-League getting a "belly" laugh every once in a while...at my expense.. ;) I deserve more than I get as far as that goes.

Merry Christmas D-League....

Last edited:

Santa Claus is coming...

414628705_7610454552301392_6737734385094554797_n.jpg

414610984_7610454942301353_5769168579915280148_n.jpg

414598741_7610455145634666_122397377728885826_n.jpg

Papa's Baby....

(She was scared and did not know it was me. She is tough though and liked her present...)

414632352_7610505602296287_8276181308454886620_n.jpg

Jesus is the reason for the season..... Love each other and God's peace to all of you...

Last edited:
Merry Christmas D-League! Just waiting for my adult kids to rise to open presents. Sure is a change from when they were younger and they'd be bouncing off the walls at 5am...

My daughter came down with COVID yesterday, so we're dealing with that. She had to miss our Christmas Eve Dinner so it was just me, my wife and our son in from Texas.

We enjoyed our outing at the Old Ebbit Grill, Washington's oldest existing saloon, and a favorite of everyone from Grant to McKinley to Teddy Roosevelt. THey still have stuffed animal heads donated by Teddy over the bar -- no kidding.

Here we are at dessert.

Santa Claus is coming...

414628705_7610454552301392_6737734385094554797_n.jpg

414610984_7610454942301353_5769168579915280148_n.jpg

414598741_7610455145634666_122397377728885826_n.jpg

Papa's Baby....

(She was scared and did not know it was me. She is tough though and liked her present...)

414632352_7610505602296287_8276181308454886620_n.jpg

Jesus is the reason for the season..... Love each other and God's peace to all of you...
Santa needs a few snacks........or maybe another cheddar biscuit every day....... 😉

Good morning from ATX. Currently 36°F, partly cloudy with a light wind from north. Chilly. Today's high may reach 58°F. Winter returned to Central Texas with a vengeance.

Off again today.

- Called Germany. Spoke with former brother in-law. Staying with him when I travel over come March. He lives next to Burbach train station.

- Plan on obtaining my International Driver License today. AAA opens at 9 am CST. Can rent an Opel Corsa for $500/week. Gonna play James Bond again on the Autobahn. Have not driven a car over there in over 28 years Rode trains, ferries, busses and even tractors during previous excursions. Stay tuned.

- Broke zipper on favorite Gore-Tex jacket. Owned garment since retirement from Army. Woodland camo pattern. Sending to a firm located near Seattle for repair. 10-day turnaround.

Modern problems.

Hope Santa good to you. Wishing y'all an awesome day.

f697dfbb047bb0b43e6eb2c912728cc9.jpg

Charlie-Brown-2.gif

Missed all of the Christmas well wishes yesterday so mine is belated.

Had more people over than anticipated for Christmas dinner/lunch. Two of them were friends from karate who have been pictured in this thread before. One is 6' 7" so it took the monster a little more time to adjust to him being here. She, being of guard dog mixes, growled and barked for a while but eventually warmed up to him. The other was our karate instructor who also apologetically brought his two nieces (18 and 20 years old) without prior notice because they did not want to go with their parents to their grandparents' house. They hang around him more than their parents. Says a lot.

Wife took today off from work so; I will do most of the after Christmas cleanup around here today. She is still in bed since her mother and brother did not leave here until about 1 am this morning.

@AustinTXCat Still have my Gore-Tex woodland camo jacket as well. Completely intact and in good shape (have not worn in years).

You folks enjoy the rest of the season and remember Jesus is the reason for the season. Always has been.

God Bless you all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT