ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Good morning D-League. It's currently a cool 53° and cloudy here in Eastern Kentucky. This afternoon will bring mostly cloudy skies and a high of 64°.

Everyone stay safe out there today.

iceland-in-pictures-beautiful-places-to-photograph-icelandic-countryside.jpg
Nice, but where are the hobbits?

Good morning D-League. After raining for 12 hours like the beginning of Noah’s Flood, the sun is out and it is a beautiful morning.

I saw the photos of Raquel Welch out today. I’ll say this: She had an incredible shelf life. I met her at a DC function about 20 years ago when she’d have been about 60, and there is not a heterosexual male in the world who would not have felt something stirring. She looked flawless and that incredible body seemed to be riper than ever.

I guess I’ll have to check eBay to see if anyone made a DVD out of One Million BC. What a classic.

Article on FoxNews.com about Raquel Welch. Seen out and about for the first time in a number of years. 81 yrs old now. Found this picture of particular interest...considering my thoughts of her back in the day....

Raquel-Welch-9.jpg
Well I guess one can be thankful she lived 81 years. Most classic beauty stars do not make it that far. Here is another shot without the mask
Raquel-Welch-1.jpg

Here is Ann Margaret at 80 years. She was married for 50 years to Roger Smith. Very rare for a Hollywood star.

iu

Daughter was allowed to come home this afternoon. Doctor said she was doing better than expected. Is supposed to go back on Monday to have drainage tubes removed and a progress checkup. Wife said he told her that he was impressed with her dealing with the pain. He gave her a prescription for narcotic pain medication but, my wife has not picked it up yet and said she will not go get it until tomorrow. Daughter took 400mg of Ibuprofen when she got home and said she was fine. She said if she can keep from having to she will not take the narcotics. After the doctor told my wife how good she was doing she (my daughter) eluded jokingly to having a lot of her daddy in her. My wife said she told them: "Oh Lord, if he was here right now he would be beating his chest". When they told me about it at first I said basically the same thing. I said: "Well, she does have my genes." and that is when they told me what was said. Started laughing. My daughter also ask if I was worried. I said: "Nope (she new better), I knew you were going to be just fine." She told me I was full of it. Heh, heh, heh.

What else could she do when her dad says, "Oh, just walk it off."

Good to hear she's doing well.

I think the AZ summer heat has finally broken. About a week earlier than usual. According to the forecast yesterday was hopefully the last day in the 100s. With the low humidity here, anything under 100 degrees is pleasant. 7-8 months of nice weather ahead-the reason we choose to live here. Every kind of outdoor event you can imagine occurs in October here. Kinda like Memorial Day is the beginning of summer back east.

Who owns the USA?

The only kind of tea I like...

sweetsouthernsweettearecipe.png
I drink it every day. Last year I was in a rehab center learning to walk again. The rehab center did not make fresh ice tea every day It was during COVID and no visitors were allowed inside.

My dear wife brought me a jug of ice tea every day and handed it to one of my favorite nurses at noon to be carried to my room. That is true love. I told her by bringing me my sweet tea it sped up my recovery by 75%.

My childhood and lifelong friend has a son who is a commercial fisherman based in Tarpon Springs. . This is the catch he brought in this morning that were taken out of the Gulf last night. These are very tasty Red Grouper. He has a special contract to supply grouper and other seafood to Rusty Bellies Waterfront Grill.

My friend as had my wife and I over many times for fresh grouper and beautiful Gulf shrimp. It is as good as it gets. She also knows how to make hushpuppies and swamp cabbage with the best of them. (you can tell it is close to suppertime when I start posting food photos) Somebody say the grace and let's eat.

242844257_2025083184312941_3629722053622121746_n.jpg

Good evening! Beautiful day out there today. Was at the golf course at 1030 and it was a little on the nippy side. Still wore shorts and short sleeve shirt though. Shot 78 Bert. Two double bogies.

@UK82 I went over to Magnetic Tape today to look at what was supposed to be a Harman Kardon Citation 22 amplifier along with the preamp. He had the Citation 25 preamp, which is prolly OK, but the amp was actually a PA2200. According to him it wouldn't be enough to drive the speakers I had in mind. Oh well, I'll end up getting a 22 from somewhere on the interweb. I'm not in a real hurry for it anyway.

Gettin antsy about the game Saturday. Saw we were 4.5 point faves.

Didja here about Tennessee cancelling their game with Army next year? I think the numbers were half a million to Army not to come and 1 million to the Sisters of the Blind to come and maybe lose. Their hay day is way deep in the weeds and I doubt they'll ever be what they were. For a short while. When they got lucky.

I think the AZ summer heat has finally broken. About a week earlier than usual. According to the forecast yesterday was hopefully the last day in the 100s. With the low humidity here, anything under 100 degrees is pleasant. 7-8 months of nice weather ahead-the reason we choose to live here. Every kind of outdoor event you can imagine occurs in October here. Kinda like Memorial Day is the beginning of summer back east.
Right now we're at 85°F, clear with just 18% humidity. Tremendous difference from just last week. This past summer was tolerable, a major departure from previous years.

During visits to Germany 2012-2013, I told all my German friends and family over there that our summer discomfort is equal to their winter, minus snow and ice.

Here's the beef bundle:

Beef Bundle 40 lbs. $235.00

15 lb. Ground Chuck
5 lb. Sirloin Steaks
5 lb. Rib Eye Steak
5 lb. New York Strip Steak
10 lb. beef Roasts
Boones Butcher Shop in Bardstown has deals like that. I just looked at the website and I didn't see any info on shipping.

Got a meatloaf in the oven at the moment to go along with mashed taters, corn, green beans. Might have myself a bourbon after that, but maybe not.

Yes I will

Right now we're at 85°F, clear with just 18% humidity. Tremendous difference from just last week. This past summer was tolerable, a major departure from previous years.

During visits to Germany 2012-2013, I told all my German friends and family over there that our summer discomfort is equal to their winter, minus snow and ice.

This has been the most tolerable summer we have experienced since moving here 13 years ago. And by that I mean temps ranging about 105-108. Which is, as my wife and I would say, hot but not hot hot.

This has been the most tolerable summer we have experienced since moving here 13 years ago. And by that I mean temps ranging about 105-108. Which is, as my wife and I would say, hot but not hot hot.
Summer 2011, I rode my bicycle nearly daily back-and-forth to work. We endured 90 days of +100°F temps that summer season. I was ten years younger back then, but the commute was nevertheless brutal.

Summer 2014 or 2015 was not too bad. I believe we only experienced 20 days of triple digits. All the others between 2011 to 2020 were downright miserable.

@UK82 I went over to Magnetic Tape today to look at what was supposed to be a Harman Kardon Citation 22 amplifier along with the preamp.
Back in the day I used to go to JBL out in Northridge, CA once in a while. JBL was owned/part of Kardon.
Always was an interesting visit and met a number of interesting people in the music/entertainment business.
First time there they gave me a plant tour of how the speakers were made. One thing I'll never forget is that they had a specially designed/constructed room where they tested speakers. Before going into it they gave me a pair of headphones (not cheap ones) and told me at least three times not to take them off...fiddle with them...or crack them a bit (to hear).....in that my eardrums would basically explode. To get into the room (as I recall) it had 3 door chambers. Couldn't open the second until the first was closed, and then the third. Room was full of speakers on shelves...as I recall maybe 3 layers of shelves around the room. And some free standing speakers as well. Most of the speakers had white noise piped in them. One...a free standing speaker about 4 or 5 foot tall...had Michael Jackson playing (I could barely hear it). I stood about 3 or 4 feet in front of it and the pants of my suit were flapping like I was in a hurricane. When we exited the room I was told that that speaker was one of a number that they had made special for a Japanese tycoon. Very, very high end.

star...do you know anyone who has Parkinson's out there? Think I mentioned this a couple months ago, but my younger brother has it and has taken several trips to some resort in the California desert near Nevada. He said that the heat...without the humidity...made him feel much better.
Was wondering if some people move to Arizona, etc that have Parkinson's like they do for allergies and so forth.

My childhood and lifelong friend has a son who is a commercial fisherman based in Tarpon Springs. . This is the catch he brought in this morning that were taken out of the Gulf last night. These are very tasty Red Grouper. He has a special contract to supply grouper and other seafood to Rusty Bellies Waterfront Grill.

My friend as had my wife and I over many times for fresh grouper and beautiful Gulf shrimp. It is as good as it gets. She also knows how to make hushpuppies and swamp cabbage with the best of them. (you can tell it is close to suppertime when I start posting food photos) Somebody say the grace and let's eat.

Table grace? Well ... OK then.

Who owns the USA?

Everyone else... China, the middle east, Japan, Germany....

All of that weather modification elsewhere may have helped mitigate your local extremes, so thats good that at least some good came out of it.

Those look ok, but looks like someone has already harvested the fingers...

Seriously, though... that's awesome! Looks delicious.

Back in the day I used to go to JBL out in Northridge, CA once in a while. JBL was owned/part of Kardon.
Always was an interesting visit and met a number of interesting people in the music/entertainment business.
First time there they gave me a plant tour of how the speakers were made. One thing I'll never forget is that they had a specially designed/constructed room where they tested speakers. Before going into it they gave me a pair of headphones (not cheap ones) and told me at least three times not to take them off...fiddle with them...or crack them a bit (to hear).....in that my eardrums would basically explode. To get into the room (as I recall) it had 3 door chambers. Couldn't open the second until the first was closed, and then the third. Room was full of speakers on shelves...as I recall maybe 3 layers of shelves around the room. And some free standing speakers as well. Most of the speakers had white noise piped in them. One...a free standing speaker about 4 or 5 foot tall...had Michael Jackson playing (I could barely hear it). I stood about 3 or 4 feet in front of it and the pants of my suit were flapping like I was in a hurricane. When we exited the room I was told that that speaker was one of a number that they had made special for a Japanese tycoon. Very, very high end.
I've thought about going to Eminence and take a tour of their factory. If they had all those speakers playing at the same time it was probably pretty loud.

Science fact: the loudest sound possible on Earth is 194db.

Summer 2011, I rode my bicycle nearly daily back-and-forth to work. We endured 90 days of +100°F temps that summer season. I was ten years younger back then, but the commute was nevertheless brutal.

Summer 2014 or 2015 was not too bad. I believe we only experienced 20 days of triple digits. All the others between 2011 to 2020 were downright miserable.

I seriously considered moving to Texas, possibly Austin (my wife has family there-old timer Texans), when I retired. But the thought of the humidity along with the heat was more than I could bear. That was the only downside at the time. I don't think Austin had gone completely nuts at that time.

il_1588xN.1114343393_7f9k.jpg

Father time is cruel.
I picked the wrong day to tell my wife I never look at other women
star...do you know anyone who has Parkinson's out there? Think I mentioned this a couple months ago, but my younger brother has it and has taken several trips to some resort in the California desert near Nevada. He said that the heat...without the humidity...made him feel much better.
Was wondering if some people move to Arizona, etc that have Parkinson's like they do for allergies and so forth.
Can’t answer about changes in climate as it relates to Parkinson’s, but just wanted to chime in on it. My mom has Parkinson’s, and it’s a hard disease to deal with, but medication certainly helps. Also, my wife, an RN, suspects that I am exhibiting symptoms of Parkinson’s, as it can be hereditary.. I have noticed myself some of the same symptoms we first noticed with my mom several years ago, but have tried to ignore them. Guess I’m gonna have to face reality and discuss with the doc. Getting old sucks, but beats the alternative I guess.

Good evening! Beautiful day out there today. Was at the golf course at 1030 and it was a little on the nippy side. Still wore shorts and short sleeve shirt though. Shot 78 Bert. Two double bogies.

@UK82 I went over to Magnetic Tape today to look at what was supposed to be a Harman Kardon Citation 22 amplifier along with the preamp. He had the Citation 25 preamp, which is prolly OK, but the amp was actually a PA2200. According to him it wouldn't be enough to drive the speakers I had in mind. Oh well, I'll end up getting a 22 from somewhere on the interweb. I'm not in a real hurry for it anyway.

Gettin antsy about the game Saturday. Saw we were 4.5 point faves.

Didja here about Tennessee cancelling their game with Army next year? I think the numbers were half a million to Army not to come and 1 million to the Sisters of the Blind to come and maybe lose. Their hay day is way deep in the weeds and I doubt they'll ever be what they were. For a short while. When they got lucky.
I haven't visited Magnetic Tape's new store yet. How was it?

I had a brother-in-law who had Parkinson's. We moved here at the same time and had great plans to do stuff together in our retirement. I watched him decline from early stage Parkinson's which you hardly noticed to a wheelchair ridden bag of bones in about five years. So sad to watch. He was my best friend. He passed about three years ago. Parkinson's affects different people in different ways of course. I've never heard that the climate here helps with that but I may be wrong.

**Apologies to anyone dealing with Parkinson's. It was not my intention to be a downer. It is a horrible condition to have or to watch someone have - and does not affect every person the same way.

Last edited:
I picked the wrong day to tell my wife I never look at other women

Can’t answer about changes in climate as it relates to Parkinson’s, but just wanted to chime in on it. My mom has Parkinson’s, and it’s a hard disease to deal with, but medication certainly helps. Also, my wife, an RN, suspects that I am exhibiting symptoms of Parkinson’s, as it can be hereditary.. I have noticed myself some of the same symptoms we first noticed with my mom several years ago, but have tried to ignore them. Guess I’m gonna have to face reality and discuss with the doc. Getting old sucks, but beats the alternative I guess.
My best friend has Parkinsons . It is a very difficult disease. He is in a wheel chair now. I remember when he could hit a ball a country mile and run like a deer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT