ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Good morning folks. Happy Labor Day. A stunning day in the east —clear skies, cool, a nice breeze. Just perfect.

Got to spend yesterday evening with my daughter, her boyfriend and my in laws who had us all over for some really nice lasagna. My wife still in NYC with her aunt.

VH70 —Absolutely we used to catch those WEBN Labor Day fireworks. We’d always stake out a spot right down on the river on the Kentucky side very near where we knew the barge would end up from which the fireworks were launched. In my memory they started that tradition in the early-mid 1970s, about the end of my high school years. We’d make a day-long party out of it. I’m not sure I’ve been back to Kentucky for Labor Day since I moved to DC area in 79. I think the party my friends and brothers threw to watch the fireworks went on without me for several decades.

Heading down to the city to have lunch with a couple old foreign correspondent buddies from back in the day. You folks take it easy.

Last edited:
VH70 —Absolutely we used to catch those WEBN Labor Day fireworks. We’d always stake out a spot right down on the river on the Kentucky side very near where we knew the barge would end up from which the fireworks were launched. Party all day. In my memory they started that tradition in the early-mid 1970s, about the end of my high school years. We’d make a day-long party out of it.
I think it started in 75 or 76 as we took our 2-3 yrs old son to the Newport Floodwall to watch. No one knew what to expect. People were blown away by the size and show length. Nothing like it ever before. The finale noise & light was awesome. It went on for several minutes. Because what it would be was unknown, relatively light crowd that first year. That quickly changed.

It was a wide open event in the early years. Very little police presence, traffic control (Getting out could be a nightmare.). Recall sitting there and a group of 20's aged guys (Us still then too.) climbed up with a 1/4 barrel !! Laughed my tail off, but nobody thought anything as everyone had brought their own. Took 3 years or so for the authorities fully realized what a huge event it was & started putting in controls - reducing the fun of course. My Mom loved it. Several years we took her and sat practically on the riverbank.

For those that don't know, the concrete flood wall is 30-40' tall with grass covered embankments on both sides that are steep/tough to climb up. Installed after the record 1937 Flood. Ate up Newport's First Street.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
I think it started in 75 or 76 as we took our 2-3 yrs old son to the Newport Floodwall to watch. No one knew what to expect. People were blown away by the size and show length. Nothing like it ever before. The finale noise & light was awesome. It went on for several minutes. Because what it would be was unknown, relatively light crowd that first year. That quickly changed.

It was a wide open event in the early years. Very little police presence, traffic control (Getting out could be a nightmare.). Recall sitting there and a group of 20's aged guys (Us still then too.) climbed up with a 1/4 barrel !! Laughed my tail off, but nobody thought anything as everyone had brought their own. Took 3 years or so for the authorities fully realized what a huge event it was & started putting in controls - reducing the fun of course. My Mom loved it. Several years we took her and sat practically on the riverbank.

For those that don't know, the concrete flood wall is 30-40' tall with grass covered embankments on both sides that are steep/tough to climb up. Installed after the record 1937 Flood. Ate up Newport's First Street.
It sounds like I caught the first 2-3 years of it before it was heavily organized or policed, especially on the Kentucky side. And yes, it was a pretty spectacular and intense show. Right up there with the best fireworks I've experienced. I moved to Miami in the late Spring of 1977, and on the DC in 1979. There may well have been a year or two in those early days when my fairly frequent trips back to Kentucky coincided with Labor Day.

Good morning from Marriott Hotel next to Inverness Airport, Scotland. Currently 51°F and clear.

Packing up, showering and walking 200 m over to the airport with just 3 gates. Flew out of here once already to Kirkwall. At any rate, will attempt arriving early as usual. Hope hold baggage not over weight. Bringing back 9 cans of various Scottish beers,

Wishing y'all a great day.

@cordmaker : Photo snapped from my room on Union Street, Inverness. You should recognize one of the items in photo. My good luck charm. It has accompanied me to Germany, Iceland and now Scotland.

Thanks!

457304200_10231655359547612_2439337301288511104_n.jpg

Good morning folks.

Back to work, downtown today.
It’s a cool, sunny day in the east. Another in a long run of beautiful days, more like October than early September.

Everything is getting back to normal for my family. Both daughters begin their teaching jobs today. My son got back to his job in Texas after a long Labor Day trip to the mountains of Colorado. And my wife is returning from her visit to care for her aunt in NYC.

I hope you all are having a good day.

Good morning everyone

We had a good Labor Day weekend.....visited family for my Mom's 80th surprise BD. We actually surprised her.....she expected something next weekend (her actual BD). It was difficult to coordinate nearly 50 to be there. We had all her family and in-laws except 3....not bad.

We stayed home yesterday and caught up on some to-dos around the house, had some BBQ ribs, then a nice fire.

Celebrating our 36th anniversary at home today....wife's choice.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Good morning everyone

We had a good Labor Day weekend.....visited family for my Mom's 80th surprise BD. We actually surprised her.....she expected something next weekend (her actual BD). It was difficult to coordinate nearly 50 to be there. We had all her family and in-laws except 3....not bad.

We stayed home yesterday and caught up on some to-dos around the house, had some BBQ ribs, then a nice fire.

Happy anniversary to Mr. and Mrs. Storm! Hope you have another 36!!!!

Good morning from ATX. Currently 74°F and partly cloudy. Today's high may reach 89°F. We received some rain yesterday while I was away Rainfall always a welcome event for us.

Returned last night around 10:40 pm via Uber. Gent, who gave me a ride, formerly lived nearby. Anyways, all is well.

My luggage still at Heathrow. Hopefully on the way to USA.

Back to work today. I'll begin posting lots of photos daily over next few months.

Happy Hump Day, y'all.

British Airways in-flight meal service is legendary. I remember on flights from Frankfurt, Germany to Orlando, FL via Heathrow and Bermuda, ex-wife and I dined like kings back in 1986. Yesterday was no exception. Seems wine is free on those flights. Love British Airways meal service.

458390883_10231672670540376_3491664944963967110_n.jpg

Last edited:
Good morning from ATX. Currently 74°F and partly cloudy. Today's high may reach 89°F. We received some rain yesterday while I was away Rainfall always a welcome event for us.

Returned last night around 10:40 pm via Uber. Gent, who gave me a ride, formerly lived nearby. Anyways, all is well.

My luggage still at Heathrow. Hopefully on the way to USA.

Back to work today. I'll begin posting lots of photos daily over next few months.

Happy Hump Day, y'all.

British Airways in-flight meal service is legendary. I remember on flights from Frankfurt, Germany to Orlando, FL via Heathrow and Bermuda, ex-wife and I dined like kings back in 1986. Yesterday was no exception. Seems wine is free on those flights. Love British Airways meal service.

458390883_10231672670540376_3491664944963967110_n.jpg
Austin, you have me remembering the lyrics of an old song: “Flew in from Miami Beach BOAC, didn’t get to bed last night…” And yeah, the few times I’ve flown British Airways (What used to be British Overseas Airways Corporation) the food has been tip top. I wish their pubs did as well.

Heading into work. No wine on the subway. No food or drink of any kind, as they try to keep the rats and roaches at bay. It is fairly clean but if you pass through the deep underground stations you will see an occasional rat scurry by. I’m not sure what they eat, though enough kids ignore the food ban that I guess they get by.

Not much going on aside from work. You all have a good day.

Last edited:
Austin, you have me remembering the lyrics of an old song: “Flew in from Miami Beach BOAC, didn’t get to bed last night…” And yeah, the few times I’ve flown British Airways (What used to be British Overseas Airways Corporation) the food has been tip top. I wish their pubs did as well.

Heading into work. No wine on the subway. No food or drink of any kind, as they try to keep the rats and roaches at bay. It is fairly clean but if you pass through the deep underground stations you will see an occasional rat scurry by. I’m not sure what they eat, though enough kids ignore the food ban that I guess they get by.

Not much going on aside from work. You all have a good day.
Or:

Comin' in to Los Angeleez
Bringin' in a couple of keez
Don't touch my bags if you pleeze, mister customs man

Good morning from ATX. Currently 75°F and partly cloudy. Good chance for rain showers. Today's high may reach 87°F. We'll take it.

My lost luggage arrived at 1:40 am this morning. You read my last statement correctly. Airline delivered it. Everything is there, including 9 cans Scottish beer. :p

Y'all have a great day.

We'll start from beginning of trip. Look real close and you can see below a shot of Jerry World (aka AT&T Stadium) taken on August 23 as we're coming into DFW.

456861717_10231538884755815_6487828036328302445_n.jpg

Evening D, beautiful day here in the Berg, little warm but great evening! We've got problems with moles, but I am minus one now! Stepped out on the back deck a little bit ago and noticed the ground moving just s bit, motioned to Mrs. M to hand me the shovel and bam, got him! Must have been great grandpa, he was huge!!! Hated to do it but! I love looking at clouds, yesterday after we got home from church, we walked out on the deck and I have never seen a more perfect feather in the sky, it even had the shaft running through it! There's a story in our family about JP and feathers, that's why they are so special to us! Have a great rest of the evening D! May see if Bert will post it for me!

Hello all,

I am not posting much now but I am reading and lurking. (Keeps me a little sane(r)...) Things just get unreal BUT, if I do not know anything, I KNOW, God is in control and I trust him. He has NEVER failed me. No man can do harm unless God allows it. No doubts, no waiver, yeah I bemoan the issues coming so rapid-fire but I am thankful. In comparison My Darling and I and my family are fine and that is what is important. (Many would like to have my "problems".) I AM Thankful... (Just venting a little...)

God Bless you all, The D-League, you are good people.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 73°F and clear. Got some rain late yesterday afternoon. Today's high may reach 89°F.

Work got hectic yesterday. File recovery sometimes becomes tedious. Stayed on incident for 53 minutes straight. Yuck.

Happy Friday, y'all.

Coming over Moray Firth into Inverness Airport. By the way, Chivas Regal distillery located not too far distant.

456787910_10231550657330122_5079120052284835240_n.jpg

The sun is shining on the left side of my face as I type this. It is 63.5°F now on its way to a hot 90°F. Smiths Grove beat Austin for the first time in a long time. We need rain but it is only 2% possibility.

I don't have a lot planned today. Need to do something but I may be too lazy.

Have a good Friday D-Leagers.

Good morning folks. Glad it is Friday. There was a thick fog laying close to the ground this morning and it was so cool I wore a longsleeve Tee-shirt on my run for the first time since April. Staying dark longer. It really feels like an early fall but I suspect we'll still get a couple weeks of hot late summer in September.

My wife got this odd idea out of the blue that she wanted to see Niagara Falls, so we are planning a trip up there in a few weeks. Why not? The drive up through the Adirondacks should be beautiful. I'll check to see if Cooperstown is too far out of the way. It shouldn't be.

When I was 4 and 5 my family actually lived near Niagara Falls. My father got a job on a massive pipeline job that lasted two summers and we just stayed up tehre during the winter when it was too snowy and cold for him to work. I actually went to Kindergarten and first grade in a small NY town near the Falls and the Canadian border. Then my dad got too homesick for Bracken County so we moved back, eventually closer to jobs he could get in Cincinnati. I guess we can check out that town, of which I remember very little.

Back to work. Have a good day folks.

Good morning folks. Glad it is Friday. There was a thick fog laying close to the ground this morning and it was so cool I wore a longsleeve Tee-shirt on my run for the first time since April. Staying dark longer. It really feels like an early fall but I suspect we'll still get a couple weeks of hot late summer in September.

My wife got this odd idea out of the blue that she wanted to see Niagara Falls, so we are planning a trip up there in a few weeks. Why not? The drive up through the Adirondacks should be beautiful. I'll check to see if Cooperstown is too far out of the way. It shouldn't be.

When I was 4 and 5 my family actually lived near Niagara Falls. My father got a job on a massive pipeline job that lasted two summers and we just stayed up tehre during the winter when it was too snowy and cold for him to work. I actually went to Kindergarten and first grade in a small NY town near the Falls and the Canadian border. Then my dad got too homesick for Bracken County so we moved back, eventually closer to jobs he could get in Cincinnati. I guess we can check out that town, of which I remember very little.

Back to work. Have a good day folks.
Many years ago, we caught a train from Windsor Canada to Niagra Falls. Beautiful scenery on the trip and also the Falls.

Many years ago, we caught a train from Windsor Canada to Niagra Falls. Beautiful scenery on the trip and also the Falls.
A couple things I do remember from being four of five Bernie: It started snowing in October and didn't quit til Easter. And there were what seemed to me vast, endless forests. I'm actually glad my wife came up with this idea. I'm eager to see it all again.

Here's a quick story Kentucky basketball fans might like. Our family first got up there to upstate New York in the winter of 57-58, when I was only about two. (Then we returned to the same area for a longer stretch a few years later.) My dad was a young guy in his late 20s, but he was already a journeyman welder in the pipeliners union, Local 798. And he had a much older "apprentice" working for him -- Judge Collinsworth! Yes, the dad of Kentucky player Lincoln, who that year was part of the Fiddlin' Five that would win the National Championship. My dad and Judge listened to that Championship game together on the radio. Imagine that.

My brother was born that winter in New York, and I stayed with the Collinsworth family for a few days while my mother had the kid and got settled back in. It became a story that was part of family lore that Lincoln's teenage sister took such a shine to me, and me to her, that I wouldn't leave the Collinsworth's to come back home.

Last edited:
Good morning everyone

Happy Anniversary!

A week in the life of an old man.

Tuesday I wake up early lying on my side & the walls & window are spinning. So close eyes & two hours later I wake up again & same thing. This can't be good. So I try to get up but have to hold onto something to stay upright. Covid comes to mind & so DW goes & gets test - nothing. Go to Dr. New, cute little thing, so not all bad. BP somewhat high but not outrageous. She puts me thru a barrage of tests looking for heart issue or stroke. Good for her. Puts me on meclizine - the seasickness pills. Gradually improve thru rest of day as I take three pills. Wake up Wed & not spinning but worn out & moving gingerly. Fine yesterday & today.

Went back in p.m. today for follow up & she agrees I'm as good as I get. Whatever. She suspects rather than having a screw loose, I had a particle/crystal that got loose & into the inner ear fluid but went back in place on its own. Not sure, but best guess. Often they need a physical therapist correct the looseness by moving/jerking head around. Net, I'm celebrating three days of being upright with a glass of wine. And maybe another - or two. Have a good weekend. GBB !!

A week in the life of an old man.

Tuesday I wake up early lying on my side & the walls & window are spinning. So close eyes & two hours later I wake up again & same thing. This can't be good. So I try to get up but have to hold onto something to stay upright. Covid comes to mind & so DW goes & gets test - nothing. Go to Dr. New, cute little thing, so not all bad. BP somewhat high but not outrageous. She puts me thru a barrage of tests looking for heart issue or stroke. Good for her. Puts me on meclizine - the seasickness pills. Gradually improve thru rest of day as I take three pills. Wake up Wed & not spinning but worn out & moving gingerly. Fine yesterday & today.

Went back in p.m. today for follow up & she agrees I'm as good as I get. Whatever. She suspects rather than having a screw loose, I had a particle/crystal that got loose & into the inner ear fluid but went back in place on its own. Not sure, but best guess. Often they need a physical therapist correct the looseness by moving/jerking head around. Net, I'm celebrating three days of being upright with a glass of wine. And maybe another - or two. Have a good weekend. GBB !!
It is probably the crystal thing, but if that doesn't work out, keep Meniere's Disease in mind. Years ago, I got so dizzy I was passing out. Wake up and vomit for hours. You don't have that much in you, so a lot of it is dry heaves. First they sent me to heart doctors and all kinds of tests. Next step was a neurosurgeon in a local hospital. He said I had a growth on my brain and wanted to do surgery. Before doing surgery, I wanted to be sure, so I asked my family doctor to set me up with a second opinion from someone really good. He sent me to Memphis to a world class guy. He ran a bunch of tests and laughed at the other neurosurgeon. Said he was reading a smudge on the X rays. Told me to go home and see an ENT. The ENT nailed it over two years after it all started. I watch my diet and take mclyzine as needed and it is now something I can live with.

Reactions: cordmaker and BBUK
It is probably the crystal thing, but if that doesn't work out, keep Meniere's Disease in mind. Years ago, I got so dizzy I was passing out. Wake up and vomit for hours. You don't have that much in you, so a lot of it is dry heaves. First they sent me to heart doctors and all kinds of tests. Next step was a neurosurgeon in a local hospital. He said I had a growth on my brain and wanted to do surgery. Before doing surgery, I wanted to be sure, so I asked my family doctor to set me up with a second opinion from someone really good. He sent me to Memphis to a world class guy. He ran a bunch of tests and laughed at the other neurosurgeon. Said he was reading a smudge on the X rays. Told me to go home and see an ENT. The ENT nailed it over two years after it all started. I watch my diet and take mclyzine as needed and it is now something I can live with.
Thanks. Quite familiar with Meniere's. DW has had it for about 8 years. Pretty manageable by her between figuring out diet restrictions and as needed mec doses. She doesn't leave home w/o it. Around 50% hearing loss in the one hear & various ringing noises of varying intensity. Says she's been doing pretty well last year or so. Hard for an outside to look & know what's going on. Does wear her out at times.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT