ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Good morning folks. Back from a muggy walk and digging into work -- another Monday for those of us who can't kick the work habit.

We booked some plane tickets to go to Kansas City in about a month to see my grandkids. So, something to look forward to. And I may defy my father's request to leave him alone with his grief for a while and take a trip to Kentucky mid-month. I think once I'm there he'll be glad to see me, after a bit more time has passed.

Nothing much else to report after a quiet weekend. My wife is back from NYC today and I'm looking forward to having her back.

You all have a good Monday.

Good late morning all,

Hopping, poking, prodding, pecking... Anything to keep things engaged. Had some good food. My Darling is better than she was but still having issues, I am working to get those issues alleviated as much as possible. More to follow but I do wish you all a great day!

A long walk... tedious at best...

447305903_8294920047188169_6516681212495267102_n.jpg

Spent a little more time in surgery this morning than anticipated. Oral surgeon explained to my wife that he had to build more bone than expected with cadaver bone graphs. Did not get an implant put in because not enough bone to hold. Said graph will be enough once healed so...I go back later to have the implant put in in about 3 or so months. Feeling pretty good tonight as the hydrocodone pain relievers work pretty good. Probably take one more before bed to last through the night.

Saluting-Legionnaire.jpg

Morning Legionnaires!

70° this morning with moderate winds. Mid 80's expected for highs with winds picking up a bit. Rain for this afternoon a possibility canceling softball for tonight. Was not going anyway unless they don't have enough. Post operative instructions says no exertion. If I have to go I will catch and nothing else other than bat. Will jog to first if I get a hit. We have pinch runners in our league once on first.

Not much planned today except walking the monster. She did not get her walk yesterday since we left for Norman early. She will be my only exercise today as the couch potato position will be observed.

I wonder, @AustinTXCat Is there a couch potato day?

Well folks, it is take it to em Tuesday (I made that up) so, go get em!

God Bless.

Last edited:
Good morning folks. Heading into DC with the sun in my eyes through the subway window. Long days right now. It was light when I headed out soon after 530…

Busy times at work.

I talked to my son last night. He’s coming back east for the July 4 long weekend, so that was good news. He’s spending a lot of the time with a girlfriend at the Delaware beaches but we’ll have dinner when he gets to town and a cookout on his way back to Texas. The week after that we’re taking a trip to Kansas City to see my older daughter and my two grandkids. So, some good times ahead.

I hope you all have a good day.

Did Victor mess you up again? Recall for new body parts? ;)

I have a hernia and it's "Wictor"... My hernia is so small I could choose to not do anything. (That was my choice for now.) If it gets bigger then.... The surgeon stated it may never get bigger so...

I have a liver ultrasound in July he suggested I get an ultrasound of MY hernia while there too, to ensure it is a hernia. I just asked that doctor if she could add that to the order. I sure hope so as the surgeon stated it should not even take them another minute to do it... I can only hope...

Getting a head transplant soon and wanted the stitches to heal on that by July... Me and Eyegor, we be mates...

Sad thing though.... Gotta head to DC tomorrow... Today was that day and I don't even think of asking if I can skip this weeks trek....

Last edited:
I have a hernia and it's "Wictor"... My hernia is so small I could choose to not do anything. (That was my choice for now.) If it gets bigger then.... The surgeon stated it may never get bigger so...

I have a liver ultrasound in July he suggested I get an ultrasound of MY hernia while there too, to ensure it is a hernia. I just asked that doctor if she could add that to the order. I sure hope so as the surgeon stated it should not even take them another minute to do it... I can only hope...

Getting a head transplant soon and wanted the stitches to heal on that by July... Me and Eyegor, we be mates...

Sad thing though.... Gotta head to DC tomorrow... Today was that day and I don't even think of asking if I can skip this weeks trek....
young-frankenstein-abby-normal.gif

Good morning folks. Overcast in the east, and so humid walking around in it is like walking in dry rain - it’s not raining but you can feel how wet the air is. Welcome to summer in Washington.

I hope the chemo goes as well as it can go Austin.

I’m close to breaking the back of a work monster I’ve been grappling with for a couple weeks, but headed on early so it doesn’t get back off the deck.

Have a good day folks.

Good morning all,

In the great metropolis of DC today.

Hope all goes well ATXC.

In the office with very few feet walking around this huge building. At least within my ear shot....

The boss liked that I came in without coaxing as my regular day in the office was yesterday.

Do the right thing....

My high level lead even told me I can contact her more than I am....

"Quirt Evans is a mighty cautious citizen."

Catch that one ...

Have a day today that pleases you ......

Good morning folks.

Remembering D-Day and those who gave “their last full measure of devotion” to quote a President about another, earlier battle of great consequence.

A while back I visited Bedford, Virginia, a tiny mountain town. By a sad quirk of fate almost all the men from that town had been in a national guard unit that had been absorbed into the 29th Division -and they ended up in the worst spot on Omaha Beach. Twenty men killed in a matter of minutes from one tiny town of a couple thousand people.

As a military history buff, I’m reading a new British analysis of Operation Bagration, the massive Soviet assault timed to begin around the same time as D-Day that engaged the Germans from the Baltic Sea to the Black Sea. As terrible as the fighting was from D-Day to the Battle of the Bulge six months later, the truth is 80 percent of the Germans killed in 1944 were killed in the east by the Soviet Army. It was a bad time to be a young German.

Pulling into my subway station. You guys have a good day.

On D-Day's 80th anniversary I thought some of you vets might be interested in the way old units are kept alive in today's army.

I was embedded with the 299th Combat Engineers in March, 2003. Their original mission was to be the first unit into Iraq from Turkey in the north, and the seize and hold the oil fields at Irbil and Kirkuk. Then the Turkish parliament vetoed that, so they went in from Kuwait with the rest of the invasion force, and were part of the task force that seized the Republican Guard bases at Taji and Balad (which became Camp Anaconda.) Not exactly D-Day, but interesting times.

Later, the battalion C.O. sent me this t-shirt because he felt I'd treated them fairly. They still celebrate being the first unit to go into Omaha to clear beach obstructions ahead of the invasion force on D-Day.

On D-Day's 80th anniversary I thought some of you vets might be interested in the way old units are kept alive in today's army.

I was embedded with the 299th Combat Engineers in March, 2003. Their original mission was to be the first unit into Iraq from Turkey in the north, and the seize and hold the oil fields at Irbil and Kirkuk. Then the Turkish parliament vetoed that, so they went in from Kuwait with the rest of the invasion force, and were part of the task force that seized the Republican Guard bases at Taji and Balad (which became Camp Anaconda.) Not exactly D-Day, but interesting times.

Later, the battalion C.O. sent me this t-shirt because he felt I'd treated them fairly. They still celebrate being the first unit to go into Omaha to clear beach obstructions ahead of the invasion force on D-Day.

Thanks for the insights.

The shirt reminded me of the time I was with USAREC. (11 or 12 years.) I worked for several Battalions, Brigades, and the HQ. I always had recruiting giveaways and I sure did. I enjoyed that part of it when seeing youngsters (Teenagers and younger.) That was just an enjoyable part of the job.

Many years after that I still relied on the recruiters to send and provide there tools of the trade. I actually think I swayed a couple doctors and nurses to join the Army during that time. (had a couple attorneys inquire but I hardly will step where I know an attorney steps... ;) ) I don't hate them but I keep my distance... Dealing with one now... Geez..

As you know the attorney capital of the world is in DC... Litigators galore... Sounds like a 007 movie...

Good morning folks.

Remembering D-Day and those who gave “their last full measure of devotion” to quote a President about another, earlier battle of great consequence.

A while back I visited Bedford, Virginia, a tiny mountain town. By a sad quirk of fate almost all the men from that town had been in a national guard unit that had been absorbed into the 29th Division -and they ended up in the worst spot on Omaha Beach. Twenty men killed in a matter of minutes from one tiny town of a couple thousand people.

As a military history buff, I’m reading a new British analysis of Operation Bagration, the massive Soviet assault timed to begin around the same time as D-Day that engaged the Germans from the Baltic Sea to the Black Sea. As terrible as the fighting was from D-Day to the Battle of the Bulge six months later, the truth is 80 percent of the Germans killed in 1944 were killed in the east by the Soviet Army. It was a bad time to be a young German.

The USSR and the Nazi's did not care about losses.

The USSR used penial battalions to clear mine fields and wasted men like they were useless vermin.

The Nazi's threw troops into battles that would be impossible to win, especially late into the war.

At Stalingrad 91,000 Germans surrendered to the Soviets. 86,000 of the 91,000 were killed.

Late in the war one of my uncles' company, in western Germany, were understrength and came upon a large group of Germans and thought that they had met their doom, but the Germans surrendered. The Germans were starving and looking for a way out. Surrendering to the Russians would be near certain death, the Americans and English and Canadians would treat them well.

The USSR used penial battalions to clear mine fields and wasted men like they were useless vermin.

The Nazi's threw troops into battles that would be impossible to win, especially late into the war.

At Stalingrad 91,000 Germans surrendered to the Soviets. 86,000 of the 91,000 were killed.

Late in the war one of my uncles' company, in western Germany, were understrength and came upon a large group of Germans and thought that they had met their doom, but the Germans surrendered. The Germans were starving and looking for a way out. Surrendering to the Russians would be near certain death, the Americans and English and Canadians would treat them well.
While running around some small towns in Germany during my first tour 1976-1979, I ran into a restaurant owner who spoke English very well and sat down with me for a bit to talk. While visiting the restaurant, one of his waitresses did not speak English (before I learned to speak German) so she got him to come out and take my order. After taking the order he was telling me stories about his time in the German Army during WWII and being a prisoner of war in a POW camp in the US.

He told me he was treated better as a prisoner of the US than he was as a soldier of his own unit. He was surprised by that and said that he would never forget how well he was treated and that as long as I was there (visited his restaurant) my meals and drinks were free.

Was not the only time I met people (older Germans) who felt that way.

IIRC, the German Army in front of Stalingrad was originally 600,000, and those 5,000 were all that survived.

Good morning folks.

Germans still list over 1,000,000 soldiers as missing. Not WIA or KIA, but missing. New remains discovered every month, primarily on old Eastern Front.

Last edited:
IIRC, the German Army in front of Stalingrad was originally 600,000, and those 5,000 were all that survived.
My former sister in-law's father in-law survived Stalingrad. Discussed conditions with him in 1985 or 1986. Indicated Russians worked the hell out of him while captive. Said he returned home to West Germany weighing 90 lbs.

Apparently two youngest grandchildren despised him for his favoritism toward oldest granddaughter during 80s and 90s. Once I mentioned he should have been respected as a Stalingrad survivor, even honored, youngest grandson got pissed as hell. He's 37. I attended his baptism. Discussion suddenly ended with grandson and my son both requesting I drop the subject.

Good morning all,

Sitting in my chair again... We shall see where this day goes. Work, work, work... (Ain't doing no whistling...)

Have some patio furniture to put together some time later today.. Did some ant killing treatments yesterday on the outside of our home front and back... Let's see if I can sing the Pink Panther song....

Dead Ant, dead ant, dead ant dead ant dead ant, dead ant dead ant, dead ant dead ant... Maybe not, I may have lost my skills.... Nah...

Have a goodun...

Good morning folks.

Glad to be working from home on Friday.

Beautiful, sunny day in the east. Got up early for a five mile run, and settled in to get as much done as I can so the weekend feels well-earned.

Interesting comments above about the scale of German losses in World War Two. One of the books I read had a monthly breakdown of combat deaths just on the Eastern Front. Of course it spiked during periods like Stalingrad and the Battle of Kursk in 1943, and definitely in the summer of 1944 during the battle I'm reading about now, Operation Bagration.

But what struck me is that from June, 1941 until April 1945, in just an average month something like 50,000 German soldiers would be killed on the Eastern Front. That's nearly the number of American dead in Vietnam from 65-72 or so, every single month, until it would spike during a major battle. The war in the East lasted 42 months and nearly three million Germans and several times that many Soviets died or vanished. Just for the Germans that's like 70,000-plus KIAs (or missing, and they ain't coming back) every month.

Ah well. We're living blessed lives in a wonderful country, during relatively peaceful and prosperous times, all things considered. I try to remind myself of that every day.

You all have a good one.

Good morning all,

Sitting in my chair again... We shall see where this day goes. Work, work, work... (Ain't doing no whistling...)

Have some patio furniture to put together some time later today.. Did some ant killing treatments yesterday on the outside of our home front and back... Let's see if I can sing the Pink Panther song....

Dead Ant, dead ant, dead ant dead ant dead ant, dead ant dead ant, dead ant dead ant... Maybe not, I may have lost my skills.... Nah...

Have a goodun...

Morning. Sunny at the moment and 67.3°F with large dark clouds in the West. We are to top out at 82° with no rain, so so much for those clouds.

On the World War II front and basketball front: I used to go to AAU tourneys with Joe B. Hall. I would set with the coaches etc. My first AAU tourney I ended up next to Bob Knight and found out that he is was an expert on WWII. Overnight I would be home catching up on my encyclopedia so I would not look stupid the next day. I hated Indiana basketball but I loved Bob Knight.

Stalin was a sob when it came to killing or getting his country men killed. He, Hitler and Mao Zedong have the blood of hundreds of millions of folks on their hands. They should be damned.

@MdWIldcat55 you may be interested in "Letter for the Ages". It is book compiled on personal letters from Winston Churchill. The man had no fear of death apparently. During the Boers War he was heavily engaged and came through without a scratch. Sir Winston is one of my heros.

Good morning all,

Thanks for the insights and input. While I do not have the depth of knowledge my broad admiration and thankfulness for those who sacrificed their personal safety and tranquility to fight evil has always given me the deep desire to serve against the same.

Sipping coffee and heading to the final soccer game this season... God Bless you of the D-League....

@MdWIldcat55 you may be interested in "Letter for the Ages". It is book compiled on personal letters from Winston Churchill. The man had no fear of death apparently. During the Boers War he was heavily engaged and came through without a scratch. Sir Winston is one of my heros.
Good morning D-League. Beautiful, sunny day in the east. Back from a long run.

Bert, thanks for that recommendation. I have a collection of Churchill's letters as a young man, and it may overlap. But I'll look for that one to add to my Kindle for subway reading.

Churchill worked as a War Correspondent as a young man, as you know, both in the Northwest Frontier Province of India, in what today is the part of Pakistan along the Afghanistan border, and in Africa, both in Sudan and during the Boer War. Those of us who have held that job for any length of time are proud to include him in the fraternity. It was in Africa, as a correspondent, I think that he said, "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."

What a remarkable life he led.

Taking care of a few chores before lunch. I hope everyone has a restful Saturday.

Good morning D-League. Beautiful, sunny day in the east. Back from a long run.

Bert, thanks for that recommendation. I have a collection of Churchill's letters as a young man, and it may overlap. But I'll look for that one to add to my Kindle for subway reading.

Churchill worked as a War Correspondent as a young man, as you know, both in the Northwest Frontier Province of India, in what today is the part of Pakistan along the Afghanistan border, and in Africa, both in Sudan and during the Boer War. Those of us who have held that job for any length of time are proud to include him in the fraternity. It was in Africa, as a correspondent, I think that he said, "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."

What a remarkable life he led.

Taking care of a few chores before lunch. I hope everyone has a restful Saturday.
I was in a guard tower when I heard something whistle past my ear and then a thud in the wall behind me. There was a fresh hole where the bullet landed. I guess I moved a little or he was a bad shot. I had an M-60 and he didn't so he disappeared in the jungle before I could spot him. I wouldn't use the word exhilarating, probably grateful or relief are better words.

Good morning all,

Sitting in my church parking lot drinking coffee... Just dropped My Darling off for choir practice. She is doing better getting around but her back is still hurting. May be inevitable but she is trying everything first.

All I can do is whatever extra I can think of and wish I could take the pain for her.

Changed my youngest daughters oil finally yesterday while her, the BB, and My Darling went to the pool. I feel better anyway. Her sense of urgency is just not there. I have enough for both of us....

Hopefully piddling around the house today but we shall see.... God Bless you all on this Lord's Day......

Good morning from ATX. Currently 75°F and partly cloudy. Excessive heat warning in effect. Today's high expected around 97°F.

Colonoscopy prep until next Wednesday. Clear liquids, white bread, eggs and vanilla pudding/yogurt only. Bah.

Baseball Cats kicked butt yesterday, 10-0 in Super Regionals. Late game tonight, starts at 9 pm.

Wishing y'all a quiet, peaceful Sunday.

Strawberry-Rhubarb-Pie-Day-FB.jpg

Good morning everyone.

I've been down at the lake cutting trees off the driveway and near the cabin. We were blessed that we only had one section of gutter torn off and a little bit of dents on the roof edge. If the big tree had come down just 10 degrees closer we would have been destroyed. It took 10 hours of hard saw work to get it done. But, I had a mission....get everything cleared to get the boat out and fish. We caught some nice crappie for my effort.

I am sore and going to take it somewhat easy til Tuesday for my big hike.

I hope everyone has a great Sunday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT