ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Good morning and Happy Friday from Nolin Lake near Anneta, KY. Currently 55°F and clear. Expecting 74°F for today's high.

Leaving in roughly 90 minutes for SE KY. Flight departs at 9:15 pm tonight from Knoxville. May check in later.

Y'all behave.

Macaroon-Day-TN.jpg
Come on down the weather is fine....extra fine today.

Good morning folks. Very relieved that it is Friday.

Another truly extraordinary day in the east. I've been upping my running a bit since I've lost that excess weight and it was a cool, clear day for it.

Spent some time watching Kentucky's new recruit Jaxson Robinson in BYU games against Kansas, Baylor, etc. I believe he'll be a fan favorite.

Quick story: A close friend retired about three weeks ago. We had a big send off. I was tasked to give the farewell speech. I met his family: Wife of many years, two sons in their 20s.

He calls me this week and wants to have lunch. I was thinking it was a little soon after his departure, but sure. As we sit down he hits me with this: He's getting a divorce! And right away. He says no huge issues, his wife just had told him that she wasn't happy, he realized he wasn't happy, and rather than be unhappy for some of his remaining good years trying to fix it, they decided to call it quits as soon as legally possible. I was shocked, but I guess you never know...

Back to work. I hope there's a good weekend ahead of all of you.

Kentucky counties represented at the Russellville convention (Kentucky secession vote sat up by a confederate government). 68 out of 114 counties (a majority) sent delegates. The state seceded from the union in December 1861. And is represented on the confederate flag as the 13th star or state. A fact very rarely reported.

Russelville-convetnion.jpg
Not to start an argument, but don't see how any group other than the state government could represent that a state seceded. Were there elections run by the state/counties that sent the delegates that "represented' said counties? Thanks.

Reactions: MdWIldcat55
Because of the Cumberland and Tennessee rivers, far western KY had more in common with Tenn than Ky. There were numerous meetings between west KY and West TN about forming a new state. That ended when TN seceded. 68 KY counties did meet and form a confederate gov with Bowling Green as the capital.
It had nothing to do with having anything in common culturally with TN. KY, VA, TN, and NC were all basically the same state in 1861. There was even talk of forming a ''border state'' confederacy. After the deep south seceded. With KY, VA, NC, TN, AR, and Maryland.

The issue in KY. Was unionists felt slavery was best protected in the union. Where as secessionists thought slavery was best protected in the confederacy. It was a political disagreement based on slavery. Regarding the confederate government. The pro-secession group boycotted the 1861 elections. So its hard to say which government was really represenative. The Frankfort government was made up of pro-slavery unionists. Some kentucky union soldiers joined the confederate army after the EP. And after the union army began recruiting slaves.

There's a postwar myth that KY was some ardent pro-union state. Couldn't be further from the truth. The state was pro-union so long as slavery was allowed in the state.

Last edited:
Not to start an argument, but don't see how any group other than the state government could represent that a state seceded. Were there elections run by the state/counties that sent the delegates that "represented' said counties? Thanks.
The citizens voted to sent a delegate to the convention. Where they met for 3 days and seceded. They were recognized by the confederate government. Added to the flag, had represenatives, and 2 govenors. KY and Missouri both held represenatives in confederate congress. Confederate generals tried to enforce the confederate conscription in KY. Because it was techncially a state in the confederacy. In my hometown of Glasgow. The 25thTN rode up to Glasgow to enforce the conscription act. And was met by the 37thKY USA infantry and a little skirmish ensued.

It had nothing to do with having anything in common culturally with TN. KY, VA, TN, and NC were all basically the same state in 1861. There was even talk of forming a ''border state'' confederacy. After the deep south seceded. With KY, VA, NC, TN, AR, and Maryland.

The issue in KY. Was unionists felt slavery was best protected in the union. Where as secessionists thought slavery was best protected in the confederacy. It was a political disagreement based on slavery. Regarding the confederate government. The pro-secession group boycotted the 1861 elections. So its hard to say which government was really represenative. The Frankfort government was made up of pro-slavery unionists. Some kentucky union soldiers joined the confederate army after the EP. And after the union army began recruiting slaves.

There's a postwar myth that KY was some ardent pro-union state. Couldn't be further from the truth. The state was pro-union so long as slavery was allowed in the state.
In the 1860's, the Tenn and Cumberland Rivers formed a barrier that was not so easily crossed as today. It made it easier to do trade with each other with no rivers to cross and in many cases they had more in common with each other than with other parts of the states.

In the 1860's, the Tenn and Cumberland Rivers formed a barrier that was not so easily crossed as today. It made it easier to do trade with each other with no rivers to cross and in many cases they had more in common with each other than with other parts of the states.
Ecenomically sure. Middle TN and Central KY weren't that different either. Eastern KY and Eastern TN were both rock solid unionist areas. Western KY and Western TN were the cotton planters. Middle TN/KY were the tobacco planters. And the eastern parts just wanted to be left alone in the mountains.

The citizens voted to sent a delegate to the convention. Where they met for 3 days and seceded. They were recognized by the confederate government. Added to the flag, had represenatives, and 2 govenors. KY and Missouri both held represenatives in confederate congress. Confederate generals tried to enforce the confederate conscription in KY. Because it was techncially a state in the confederacy. In my hometown of Glasgow. The 25thTN rode up to Glasgow to enforce the conscription act. And was met by the 37thKY USA infantry and a little skirmish ensued.
Yes what you write did happen, but what citizens (all registered voters were informed?) voted & where? State or county approved elections at standard voting locations? Who was allowed to vote? I mean what were the vote totals in each county vs. in a normal state-run election? Were those "elections" widely publicized in each county? Without better data, I feel these were "rump"/rigged elections. JMO.

Yes what you write did happen, but what citizens (all registered voters were informed?) voted & where? State or county approved elections at standard voting locations? Who was allowed to vote? I mean what were the vote totals in each county vs. in a normal state-run election? Were those "elections" widely publicized in each county? Without better data, I feel these were "rump"/rigged elections. JMO.
I'll try to get more info on that. But if you read the secession document it says the state government has trampled on the people's true decision. If you recall, TN's legislature was pro-union as well. But they kicked it out to the population to vote on. Kentucky's legislature didn't do that out of fears the state would secede.

Let-s-Go-Fishing.gif

67° this morning with no wind. Guess where I am going this morning.

Will fish for a few hours as the temp will warm up quick. Plan on cutting grass later this afternoon (maybe) as the next bunch of days has rain forecasted.

Leaving shortly so you folks have a great day and God Bless.

Good morning folks.

Sunny and cool in the east. Home alone, as my wife went up to NYC for her cousin’s funeral. I couldn’t get off work yesterday, and we decided she’d stay with an aunt who is living alone and dealing with cancer, and make a longer trip of it.

I’m heading up into the mountains to hike a couple spots that I enjoy along the ridge called South Mountain. Maybe I’ll cruise over to Harper’s Ferry for lunch. A couple nice spots there with a view of the convergence of the Shenandoah and Potomac rivers. You all have a good day.

Good morning everyone.

No fishing for me with all the rain....water is way up on the lake so we'll just wait. I saw another bear yesterday morning. I was unlocking the back door to take the trash down the hill for pickup and a small bear was thinking (probably) about opening the patio door. No blood, no foul. She left quietly and hung around the area for a while.

A 10 mile hike planned today (with wife) on a section of the mountain we haven't been on this year. Mowing and gardening later today to beat the rain.

Man, Pope has put together a nice (potentially) team in a short time. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this bunch of experienced transfers will turn out.

I hope everyone has a great day.

You sure about that? He was very popular. They suspended voting in the middle of the night because the pony express had not showed up yet with the ballot bags. When they started back up the next day...81000 votes. He got there not long after voting was suspended. ;)
Yes I am sure. He wasn't popular in KY at all. He got 1000 votes in 1860. In 1864 he did better due to allowing slaves to vote.

The results of the 1860 election for Abraham Lincoln and the Republican Party in Kentucky drastically differed from the national results. Kentuckians viewed the possibility of Lincoln’s election and his policy against the expansion of slavery to future United States territories and states as a possible catalyst for disunion and war. During the 1860 election, Lincoln finished fourth out of four candidates in Kentucky, winning less than 1 percent of the popular vote with 1,364 total votes, 10 votes of which came from Lincoln’s ancestral and birth counties (Washington, Hardin, and Larue). John Bell, the leading candidate from the Constitutional Union Party, won 45 percent of the popular vote with 66,051 total votes (and all 12 electoral votes). John Bell was viewed as the least radical of all the candidates; his platform contained one plank: the preservation of the Union.

The upper south supported John Bell because he was a pro-slavery unionist.

Good morning folks. Very relieved that it is Friday.

Another truly extraordinary day in the east. I've been upping my running a bit since I've lost that excess weight and it was a cool, clear day for it.

Spent some time watching Kentucky's new recruit Jaxson Robinson in BYU games against Kansas, Baylor, etc. I believe he'll be a fan favorite.

Quick story: A close friend retired about three weeks ago. We had a big send off. I was tasked to give the farewell speech. I met his family: Wife of many years, two sons in their 20s.

He calls me this week and wants to have lunch. I was thinking it was a little soon after his departure, but sure. As we sit down he hits me with this: He's getting a divorce! And right away. He says no huge issues, his wife just had told him that she wasn't happy, he realized he wasn't happy, and rather than be unhappy for some of his remaining good years trying to fix it, they decided to call it quits as soon as legally possible. I was shocked, but I guess you never know...

Back to work. I hope there's a good weekend ahead of all of you.
Good news about Robinson for sure.

The same thing you friend went through happened to my son last year. His wife of 24 years came in from work on March 21, last year, and said she was not happy and wanted a divorce.

My son kept the house and paid her half of the accrued value and split up the furniture. At the end of April my son remarried a widowed lady. She sold her house and moved in with my son.

I have been married for nearly 58 years and if Sherry leaves me I am packing my bags and going with her. She is trapped!

Hello all,

Back from soccer. I think their seasons over now.

If you've a mind to, say a prayer for My Darling. She is told she needs back surgery but she is not ready and I am not pushing her. Yesterday morning while helping my grandson get ready for preschool she bent over wrong and had to crawl to the kitchen. I was in DC at the time but she called me. I got home in about 20 minutes this trip luckily but she had already taken the BB to school and returned.

She is not well though and still has some bad pain. She is more comfortable though as we have some areas of back pain we are prepared for...

We are thankful in any event....

Yes I am sure. He wasn't popular in KY at all. He got 1000 votes in 1860. In 1864 he did better due to allowing slaves to vote.

The results of the 1860 election for Abraham Lincoln and the Republican Party in Kentucky drastically differed from the national results. Kentuckians viewed the possibility of Lincoln’s election and his policy against the expansion of slavery to future United States territories and states as a possible catalyst for disunion and war. During the 1860 election, Lincoln finished fourth out of four candidates in Kentucky, winning less than 1 percent of the popular vote with 1,364 total votes, 10 votes of which came from Lincoln’s ancestral and birth counties (Washington, Hardin, and Larue). John Bell, the leading candidate from the Constitutional Union Party, won 45 percent of the popular vote with 66,051 total votes (and all 12 electoral votes). John Bell was viewed as the least radical of all the candidates; his platform contained one plank: the preservation of the Union.

The upper south supported John Bell because he was a pro-slavery unionist.
Uh, I was trying to be funny.

Went to Rattler pond at Sill this morning and with all of the rain lately it is up and murky. Had several strikes with 3 hooked but only one landed. So, score is:

Large Mouth Bass 2 - Warrior-Cat 1. In kind of a slump lately.

Ran into another guy out there in a bass buggy (I was wading). He said he had hooked in to 4 and only landed 1. He said we needed to talk to sportsman services on post and tell them that the bass were not cooperating.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 78°F and partly cloudy. Excessive heat warning in effect. Today's high expected around 94°F.

Bat Cats defeated Illini yesterday, 6-1. Play winner of today's Illini/Sycamore game. GBB!

Ordered New Balance walking shoes and hiking boots yesterday. Must break in over next few weeks.

Wishing y'all a peaceful Sunday.

0602-NATIONAL-ROTISSERIE-CHICKEN-DAY-1024x536.png

Good morning folks. My legs are weary ffrom pushing them over the last three days, building back my running stamina and also hiking in the hills.

I may take it easy today. Wife still in NYC so maybe I'll hit a country style roadside restaurant I like a lot more than her for supper tonight.

Lovely weather in the east. I hope you all are having a nice day.

Charlie-Brown-7-gif.gif

Morning Legionnaires!

73° this morning with cloudy skies and a possibility of rain. If no rain, I will have coed softball games this afternoon.

Between fishing half the day yesterday and yard work yesterday, I was bushed last night and conked out early. Got a good workout and monster walk this morning any way since I will not be able to work out for at least few days after tomorrow's oral surgery. Last time they said no exertion for at least 3-5 days after. Eating will be difficult too.

Enjoy you Sunday folks and God Bless.

Good afternoon all,

Prayer is powerful. (Thanks My Darling is getting around but she hurts different than she ever has. She is talking it careful and easy. I think her and my oldest girl along with my two grandchildren are heading to the pool about 400 feet from us (In our subdivision) (Not overrun by kids as it is a 55 and over community and you must have a fob AND we have a few Karen's around that check-up on people they don't know in our pool or they make them call the home-owner who should be in attendance or throw them out.) in a few minutes...

I may have some free time in a few minutes...

Let-s-Go-Fishing.gif

67° this morning with no wind. Guess where I am going this morning.

Will fish for a few hours as the temp will warm up quick. Plan on cutting grass later this afternoon (maybe) as the next bunch of days has rain forecasted.

Leaving shortly so you folks have a great day and God Bless.
Went in search of some panfish this weekend. Made a mistake and didn't take crickets as the lake we fish I've done better with wax worms for years there. Well, they were hitting the crickets something fierce. The ones I caught were nice and big but my boat partner smoked me by the basket score of 18-8. Ugh! I won't make that mistake again. Rained all morning yesterday but the rain hitting the tarp over the tent was pure bliss.

OK, we get either the Beavers or the Anteaters next week. I'd normally favor one, but not this week. I'm on a hiatus.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 80°F and cloudy. Excessive heat warning in effect. Today's high estimated around 94°F.

Cats beat Sycamores last night, 5-0. Win Lexington Regional. Moving on to Super Regional play. Stayed up way past my bedtime watching the game.

Monday, Monday....

Wishing y'all a great start to your week.

national-egg-day.jpg

Saluting-Legionnaire.jpg

Morning Legionnaires!

70° this morning with no wind. Low 90's expected for a high. A little muggy out right now since we have had so much rain lately.

Leaving here in just over an hour from now headed for Norman and oral surgery. Takes about an hour to get there from here. No coffee or anything this morning. Will be eating light and softer foods for the next few days. It helps with my weight loss plan. :cool:

It's Monday again folks so, stay safe out there and God Bless.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT