ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

The ACC Conference Tournament is being held directly across the street from my office, at the Verizon Center in DC...(I think it has another corporate sponsor now, but Verizon Center to me.)

It is a beautiful day so I took a stroll at lunch around the couple blocks nearby. Restaurants and sports bars are packed with fans who bought the ticket packages -- Duke seems to be the majority, North Carolina next, then a smattering of fans from the teams playing today like Notre Dame and Georgia Tech and NC State...So far I haven't seen one Louisville fan...Sad because ten years ago, maybe even five, they'd have been out in force.
Can there be too few LV fans?

The ACC Conference Tournament is being held directly across the street from my office, at the Verizon Center in DC...(I think it has another corporate sponsor now, but Verizon Center to me.)

It is a beautiful day so I took a stroll at lunch around the couple blocks nearby. Restaurants and sports bars are packed with fans who bought the ticket packages -- Duke seems to be the majority, North Carolina next, then a smattering of fans from the teams playing today like Notre Dame and Georgia Tech and NC State...So far I haven't seen one Louisville fan...Sad because ten years ago, maybe even five, they'd have been out in force.

None of these huh?

377306464_6441235305385_8414876340269621778_n.png

He do look angry...

Don't be holding your breath while you are waiting....

Me neither......I wouldn't be disrespectful to Mr. Bert by any means.......this is the downside of this type of communications.............If'n I was looking him in the eye he would have not take my statement the wrong way......I was just relating.........hoof in mouth............
I did not take it the wrong way. I just responded.

You should not worry. I worked at the railroad for 32 years (railroad men teach sailors how to cuss) and then I held elective office for ten years. I can take it. My skin is an inch thick.

Good morning folks. Heading into DC in the dark. A cool, clear day in the east.

On the edge of college hoops craziness. Great times.

Thanks for that link on Odie Smith Bernie. I was too young to remember him at Kentucky, but saw him play many times for the Cincinnati Royals along side Oscar Robertson. Man, he could really shoot.

I hope you all have a good day.

Good morning folks. Heading into DC in the dark. A cool, clear day in the east.

On the edge of college hoops craziness. Great times.

Thanks for that link on Odie Smith Bernie. I was too young to remember him at Kentucky, but saw him play many times for the Cincinnati Royals along side Oscar Robertson. Man, he could really shoot.

I hope you all have a good day.
Must be 30 years ago, he was back in the area and attended a local high school game. they introduced him at half time, and he got a standing ovation. I liked the part where he learned to shoot with a homemade basketball of sorts.

I did not take it the wrong way. I just responded.

You should not worry. I worked at the railroad for 32 years (railroad men teach sailors how to cuss) and then I held elective office for ten years. I can take it. My skin is an inch thick.
I knew two different guys that worked laying tracks........one drank a fifth of bourbon every day the other could cut through metal with his language.........used more cuss words per 1,000 than anyone I have ever met...........

Good morning folks. Beautiful, cool clear day on the east.

I had a shock yesterday. As I entered the building where I work I bumped into a supervisor who looked ashen. He told me a woman I work with closely, and had spent a lot of time with late last week plotting out a project, had died overnight. No details yet, except it’s apparently natural causes, not foul play or self harm. A real blow. She was about my age -mid to late 60s —and had a long career working in DC. I guess we’re at the age that these things are going to happen.

And life goes on. As cold as it sounds, I had to hire a contractor yesterday to help with some work. Deadlines don’t change no matter what.

Sorry to share a sad tale. I hope all is well with you folks.

Good morning folks. Beautiful, cool clear day on the east.

I had a shock yesterday. As I entered the building where I work I bumped into a supervisor who looked ashen. He told me a woman I work with closely, and had spent a lot of time with late last week plotting out a project, had died overnight. No details yet, except it’s apparently natural causes, not foul play or self harm. A real blow. She was about my age -mid to late 60s —and had a long career working in DC. I guess we’re at the age that these things are going to happen.

And life goes on. As cold as it sounds, I had to hire a contractor yesterday to help with some work. Deadlines don’t change no matter what.

Sorry to share a sad tale. I hope all is well with you folks.

So sorry to hear that brother MdW... I only know how I felt. I think I shared this when it happened about a year ago...

335437869_219509740565968_944532242228154294_n.jpg

This guy was 53 or 54 and in good shape. I received this text... I think it was about 6 or 7PM that night I got a call from Louise... Patrick did not live to see another day. I am not haunted by this but I sure remember it vividly reminding me, we are not promised tomorrow, we are not promised the next minute. Be thankful in all circumstances....

Take care, God Bless you and sorry again for your loss and how you had to go through it...

So sorry to hear that brother MdW... I only know how I felt. I think I shared this when it happened about a year ago...

335437869_219509740565968_944532242228154294_n.jpg

This guy was 53 or 54 and in good shape. I received this text... I think it was about 6 or 7PM that night I got a call from Louise... Patrick did not live to see another day. I am not haunted by this but I sure remember it vividly reminding me, we are not promised tomorrow, we are not promised the next minute. Be thankful in all circumstances....

Take care, God Bless you and sorry again for your loss and how you had to go through it...
Thanks for that concern BB, and I'm so sorry about your friend. Man, the early 50s is way too early.

Hell, my second batch of kids were just hitting their teens then and needed me desperately -- which is why I eased out of my several visits a year to Iraq and Afghanistan routine about that time and took a permanent desk job. No regrets recommitting to my family at that age. It has been the best time of my life -- and the other times were pretty good.

I knew two different guys that worked laying tracks........one drank a fifth of bourbon every day the other could cut through metal with his language.........used more cuss words per 1,000 than anyone I have ever met...........
The only thing that saved me was that I was in Sales and Marketing. I had to show class or lose my job. But the culture at the railroad was rough.

The only thing that saved me was that I was in Sales and Marketing. I had to show class or lose my job. But the culture at the railroad was rough.

Yes Sir,

I just ripped into a guy in my office I think Monday as he went Navy/ Railroad in a business setting. I cut his feet out from under him quickly. A guy about my age and ethnicity so I took more liberties. (This guy has been asking for it any way. Always taking things to the edge of the line when no reason to do so...) (I'd have done it anyway with anyone.)

I am no saint and use my share of vulgarity but darn, control thy self...;)

Last edited:
I ran multiple job sites for many years........I could leave a project and go into a meeting with clients, architect, designers.............I did very well with the folks that was supposed to be above that sort of language...........if you want to hear salty language........get a female designer upset on her little project.......some of them can melt your ear lobes for sure..........in grade school Fr. Prectel was our 4th grade basketball coach................he told us that sometimes.....you just have to use the words for the situation........I guess I was born with an internal switch...........although.........with the level of stupidity that one sees and hears today......it is a challenge sometimes......

@MdWIldcat55 In the last year and a half to 2 years I have seen 3 Black Belt acquaintances/friends and an old boss pass (went to all their funerals) and only one was older than me. One was last Friday. It has got me to thinking (not excessively) about the future and how it can change at a moment's notice now in that respect.

Not to make light, but me going to so many these days reminds me of what Yogi Berra said when ask why he went to so many of the funerals he had gone to.

Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours.”

Condolences.

I ran multiple job sites for many years........I could leave a project and go into a meeting with clients, architect, designers.............I did very well with the folks that was supposed to be above that sort of language...........if you want to hear salty language........get a female designer upset on her little project.......some of them can melt your ear lobes for sure..........in grade school Fr. Prectel was our 4th grade basketball coach................he told us that sometimes.....you just have to use the words for the situation........I guess I was born with an internal switch...........although.........with the level of stupidity that one sees and hears today......it is a challenge sometimes......
One of my uncles coached basketball for many years (high school and some small college). We were talking about cussing at players. I was talking about females since my daughter was playing. He was talking all players. He said, "sometimes you just have to get their attention."

Evening D, and the Pukies go down!!!!😂😂😂😂😂😂 ATX, did I read that you are retiring?? I am still praying for you my friend!!! I know OHIOCOLONEL hasn't been around in a long time, hope he is ok, lots of tornadoes moving through Ohio! Felt like heck all week, had blood work done, results were good except for urinalysis report abnormal, showing blood and bacteria in it, I go to the doctor Tuesday to find out what's going on. I had a kidney stone move a little bit last Friday, so that might be it. Mrs. M left me know today that I'm almost 73, said you can't act like your 20, your body just won't let you!! Mrs. M talked me into going to a baby shower last Saturday and I am glad she did, never seen such a spread of food in my life!! They had a shrimp pasta salad that was incredible! I got the recipe if anyone wants it, going to the store tomorrow to get the stuff to make it, will let you know how it goes!

Evening D, and the Pukies go down!!!!😂😂😂😂😂😂 ATX, did I read that you are retiring?? I am still praying for you my friend!!! I know OHIOCOLONEL hasn't been around in a long time, hope he is ok, lots of tornadoes moving through Ohio! Felt like heck all week, had blood work done, results were good except for urinalysis report abnormal, showing blood and bacteria in it, I go to the doctor Tuesday to find out what's going on. I had a kidney stone move a little bit last Friday, so that might be it. Mrs. M left me know today that I'm almost 73, said you can't act like your 20, your body just won't let you!! Mrs. M talked me into going to a baby shower last Saturday and I am glad she did, never seen such a spread of food in my life!! They had a shrimp pasta salad that was incredible! I got the recipe if anyone wants it, going to the store tomorrow to get the stuff to make it, will let you know how it goes!
No, not retiring yet. Plan on working two more years, until end of March, 2026 IF cancer remains under control.

Good luck on your shrimp pasta dish.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 72°F and cloudy. Depending on weather forecast, I may leave earlier this morning for airport than originally planned. Maybe, maybe not.

Aggies vs Cats tonight. I should be in the air, Houston-bound, during the game. Go Cats! Good things happen with UK basketball during tournaments when I travel internationally. Will expand more on such an interesting phenomenon after I check in at airport this afternoon. Stay tuned.

Happy Friday, y'all.

peanutlover.jpg

Good morning everyone.

Busy week for a retired guy. I'll be watching my nephew play baseball during tonight's game and will be driving home from a meeting for tomorrow's (being positive). I'll get to watch the championship game and Selection Sunday. Go Big Blue!

I tied with WC on the fishing this week....one LM. But Dad and I had a good trip. We are now using a good ole fashioned step ladder to get him in/out of the boat. It works perfectly for him.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 72°F and cloudy. Depending on weather forecast, I may leave earlier this morning for airport than originally planned. Maybe, maybe not.

Aggies vs Cats tonight. I should be in the air, Houston-bound, during the game. Go Cats! Good things happen with UK basketball during tournaments when I travel internationally. Will expand more on such an interesting phenomenon after I check in at airport this afternoon. Stay tuned.

Happy Friday, y'all.

peanutlover.jpg
Safe travels.

Good morning everyone.

Busy week for a retired guy. I'll be watching my nephew play baseball during tonight's game and will be driving home from a meeting for tomorrow's (being positive). I'll get to watch the championship game and Selection Sunday. Go Big Blue!

I tied with WC on the fishing this week....one LM. But Dad and I had a good trip. We are now using a good ole fashioned step ladder to get him in/out of the boat. It works perfectly for him.

I hope everyone has a great day.

I may need to go "learn" you all how to fish soon. @warrior-cat

Last edited:
Good morning folks. happy Friday. Warm and overcast here. I'm working from home so I took a long hike before showering and settling in.

The Madness starts for the Cats today. A maximum of nine games -- and two losses -- before we say goodbye to these kids. I've been watching and listening to the Kentucky teams since Rupp's Runts in 1966, and this bunch has been well up there in terms of enjoyment and excitement. We'll see how it ends but I try not to be one of those "win or else you have let me down" fans. Still, it'd be great to see this bunch make a couple long, deep runs.

I hope you all are easing into a happy weekend. Back to work for me before that chance rolls around.

HAHA,

I just went to the commisary for my dinner (No eating, just shopping for My Darling.) Ran into an Ole boy wearing a UK emblem on his UK blue shirt. Said "Go Cats" as he walked by pushing his cart. Told him UK should take care of A&M. He stated "I hope".

Saw him again a little later, he asked where in Kentucky did I live, I told him around the Fort Knox, Radcliff, and E'Town area for 20 years.

He told me he lived in Valley Station (Born and raised).. I almost said Eh... someone's got to live there (From my memories.). ;) (I didn't, but I thought it...) @awf

Seemed like an okay fellow in our brief chance meeting...

Go CATS!!!

A buddy of mine called a while ago and said he had tickets to the ACC semifinals tonight and invited me along. I think if Duke had still be alive to root against I might have said yes, but my wife and I had dinner plans so I turned him down.

Now watch -- I'll miss seeing UNC-CHeats get upset.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT