ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Sir,

I fish off the bank these days. Years ago when we lived in Radcliff I had a 13 foot John boat with a trolling motor I fished Fort Knox regularly. (That thing fit in the back of my F-150 at the time.)

My Darling is not much for fresh water fish and when we moved to San Antonio, I sold that boat and always wondered why though I don't even have a place now to store it if I had it. (I know i was on Fort Knox about once every ten days or so. Just enjoy being on the water.) Remember ice forming on my line many times.

Was actually looking at a place near the Chesopeake Bay (About 80 or so miles away depending on where you fish. I have a spot about 60 miles away that I like.) recently to buy with my oldest daughter to get her started in on some property. Thought I might open one of those airbnb things.

The weather never worked out to where we could go look at it. I think it's still for sale.

Even on the ocean I fish off the bank. May be nice to hit the water every once in a while. My Darling and I love the ocean. (May not be in the plans...)
The ponds and lakes on the Fort Knox reservation are legendary......at one time you could purchase a $5 permit to fish them.......I am scared of snakes........so there's that.........My buddy bought a place two years ago....(he got took).....they spiffed it up and started to rent it.......they made their mortgage.......but it was almost an hour to get there......they are closing on it today.......he said that he would have to make his fortune somewhere else.....

The ponds and lakes on the Fort Knox reservation are legendary......at one time you could purchase a $5 permit to fish them.......I am scared of snakes........so there's that.........My buddy bought a place two years ago....(he got took).....they spiffed it up and started to rent it.......they made their mortgage.......but it was almost an hour to get there......they are closing on it today.......he said that he would have to make his fortune somewhere else.....

Yeah,

It seems a lot of work and IF you have good people assisting, maybe but that is a BIG maybe these days.

I really only wanted it to be able to park a boat to be able to fish. (I know, I know but that was my thought process.) The home is only two years old so any major issues should be okay for a while...

I see so MANY boats just parked all the time, or in storage....

It would take a natural act (Disaster) to keep me off the water if I had a boat...

I hear a lot talking about paying for the gas. (I'd bring some oars... ;)) (Or get me one of those "Solar" outboard motors....) 😁

The place I was looking at was about 700 or 800 feet from the water. (Maybe a 1000.) A couple streets over. Had a nice lot too.

Last edited:
I too hated public speaking. My last semester of college my advisor said I am missing an English credit and told me I needed to take a public speaking class.....negative. He said the only other way is to take 2 other English classes. Sign me up!!! I needed the hours one way or another anyway.

Fast forward another year and I took a job that required it daily. I ended up speaking occasionally in front of 200-300 people at a time. lol A paycheck makes you do things you didn't think possible.

@awf............impressive.

Fishing....that's how I found this thread. Did a search on fishing and it popped up. BBUK (and others) was talking fishing and maybe blue crabs and here I am.

I too hated public speaking. My last semester of college my advisor said I am missing an English credit and told me I needed to take a public speaking class.....negative. He said the only other way is to take 2 other English classes. Sign me up!!! I needed the hours one way or another anyway.

Fast forward another year and I took a job that required it daily. I ended up speaking occasionally in front of 200-300 people at a time. lol A paycheck makes you do things you didn't think possible.

@awf............impressive.

Fishing....that's how I found this thread. Did a search on fishing and it popped up. BBUK (and others) was talking fishing and maybe blue crabs and here I am.

Cast-netted a nice bunch of fish My Darling likes. She makes a sauce using these...

306003559_6013477391999124_966278086702388877_n.jpg

Many Blue Crab trips... I think My Darling caught'em all on a couple trips...
310392367_6079013255445537_160919439792568683_n.jpg

Clam's, Oysters, just an abundance of fun and food... They are there to dig and just pick up if you know the places....
279892790_5617582744921926_1377177947405993904_n.jpg

Get clams and oysters as big as your hand...just a fun day...
279347515_5617581281588739_1555989076623232704_n.jpg

Every once and a while we latch onto a Stingray... My Darling had her friends over and they had a feast..

They guy that helped me get it up said it seems about 35 pounds... Not my type but I eat it....a little. My wife and I don't do no sushi route, we cook it or do without....
385815403_7285986478081536_1155807423459460565_n.jpg

We found a few places for Blackberries and chestnuts too... I enjoy them as well...

362925278_7049121595101360_8414971174700565951_n.jpg

382458147_7254101101270074_6520213856238725789_n.jpg

381000874_7249903658356485_4881503660268884300_n.jpg

Either Moby Crab or a Lobster...
279449166_5623505617662972_5025214124034018118_n.jpg

Belt or Ribbon fish, there is a knack to catching these and I know it.. Going soon to catch a cooler more at a new place soon. Boney but just good eating...
305049385_5986919291321601_5390747013992717170_n.jpg

305475935_5986926057987591_366676931872759499_n.jpg

We love the water and the woods..... 😁

Overdue to fish....

Last edited:
Good morning everyone.

Babysitting the 3 yr old great, great niece again today. Her Mom is now a full time Mom and expecting her 2nd any minute now. So, we don't get her every week like we did for almost 3 years. I think all 3 of us will have a good day.

Nice game last night. A little iffy from the start. I glanced at the box score and I believe we had 44 rebounds with no player having more than 6. Balance. However, the defense. Goodness we can't stop a guard who wants to drive to the basket.

A huge game for us Saturday. It and the SEC tourney means something. I hope the coach/players feel the same.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 66°F and cloudy. Decent chance for rain. Today's high may reach 73°F.

Loved the W last night. Let's keep this going into the tournament.

Just rebooted TV. Modern problems. Bah!

Wishing y'all an awesome day.

national-flapjack-day--march-6.png

May have to eat some, My Darling makes these well... May make a pan of biscuits though...

Good morning folks. Already slaving away at the office.

Nice performance by the Cats last night. Senior Nights often get off to a slow start based on the line-ups used to get the seniuor players some run. But an efficient performance otherwise. Defense not too bad.

Warming and misty in the east. I'll catch up with you guys later.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 66°F and cloudy. Decent chance for rain. Today's high may reach 73°F.

Loved the W last night. Let's keep this going into the tournament.

Just rebooted TV. Modern problems. Bah!

Wishing y'all an awesome day.
Our main TV loses it mind so we usually reboot it once a week. Of course we are old retired folks and the poor tv gets a work out every day.

Yeah,

It seems a lot of work and IF you have good people assisting, maybe but that is a BIG maybe these days.

I really only wanted it to be able to park a boat to be able to fish. (I know, I know but that was my thought process.) The home is only two years old so any major issues should be okay for a while...

I see so MANY boats just parked all the time, or in storage....

It would take a natural act (Disaster) to keep me off the water if I had a boat...

I hear a lot talking about paying for the gas. (I'd bring some oars... ;)) (Or get me one of those "Solar" outboard motors....) 😁

The place I was looking at was about 700 or 800 feet from the water. (Maybe a 1000.) A couple streets over. Had a nice lot too.
I was looking at property in Doe Valley just so I could fish the private lake. So I understand your thinking..........

I started flying racing homers again and it takes a lot of time. Especially when fishing season is in.........spring and fall..........I am not really a boater so when I do go fishing I put in and head somewhere and start fishing......I go to Taylorsville Lake put in most of the time......I go right of the state ramp and start fishing.....I fish all the way around to the dam.......I catch my share most of the time.........I wouldn't give .05 to just run up and down the lake.......I don't even like to troll..........the gas is what it is.....I have a 75 HP Mercury four stroke ........so I use regular unleaded gas......I don't know how much the boat uses per trip or???????? it doesn't use much for sure.....it holds 23 gallons but it took me four years to run 1/2 tank out of it.......I got a bunch of new lures yesterday!!!!!!! I am hopeful that between training my racing homers and gardening I can get out to try them.......I have been wanting one of these 8'' trout lures for a while now........

Good morning folks. Thank goodness Friday is here.

Busy day buy should be a nice weekend. I saw an absolutely breathtaking sunrise on my walk this morning. Colors I couldn't begin to name. The world can be so awe-inspiring. And I noted the flowering trees are already starting to blossom a bit. We live in an area where we are surrounded by every type of apple, cherry, magnolia and other assorted blossom so I love the time of year just ahead.

Dinner this weekend with my wife and daughter. Hope it is a good one for all.

Good morning folks. Thank goodness Friday is here.

Busy day buy should be a nice weekend. I saw an absolutely breathtaking sunrise on my walk this morning. Colors I couldn't begin to name. The world can be so awe-inspiring. And I noted the flowering trees are already starting to blossom a bit. We live in an area where we are surrounded by every type of apple, cherry, magnolia and other assorted blossom so I love the time of year just ahead.

Dinner this weekend with my wife and daughter. Hope it is a good one for all.
Spring always sneaks up on me. Our bradford pear is getting green already.

What a day, what a day....Been nursing a couple Yuengling's....(Actually one, going for another now...) Think I'll watch a John Wayne movie or at least part of one....

I will sing Rocky Top tomorrow if the Cats beat the Vols...what the heck is a Vol? I know what a Volunteer is but darn, that sounds Dainty....

May even sing a short part and post it here... ;) NOW, that's an incentive..... (Hope my Mic works....) 😅 (Only had ONE 12 ounce Yuengling Lager... Now I will drink another one for sure!!!

Edit: Oh HECK........................................ I just checked, there is a Karaoke version to sing with...On Dang, Oh Dang, Oh dang......

Last edited:
Good morning folks.

Out on my Saturday hike in a light, cold rain. The surge toward spring is stalled for at least a day in the east.

Big chance for the Cats today. Hard to believe the regular season ends today. I’ve really enjoyed it. Great seeing this young team develop.

Hope you all have a good Saturday.

Huge game today. Win and guarantee a Thursday bye and at least a 4-seed in the NCAA (maybe 3 seed). Lose and the Cats will need some help on the bye and probably get a 5 or 6 seed in the NCAA. Hey they beat the Vols twice last year. Underdogs in both games. This team can beat any team in the country.

Hope the Cats win today...would be huge for the team, saw some sad stats today though. Before Barnes became coach, Tenn was 4-35 at Rupp Arena. Barnes after the win this year is 4-5 at Rupp.

Barnes Tenn teams are 5-3 at Thompson-Bowling Arena against UK. And 2-1 against us in the SEC tournament. So he is 11-9 against UK since coming here. From 1993 to 2015 the Vols only won 9 games against Kentucky.

Some of those bait fish look surprised. ;)

I love cast netting. When we lived in SC a couple piers I was allowed to fish at night had shrimp swimming a lot.

It was fun catching a couple hundred at a time. The very small ones My Darling made a shrimp sauce that was out of this world good eating.

We lived about 22 or so miles from the ocean and when able we were there three times a week most weeks just trying new ways to eat. It was enjoyable.

The fish and crab are better here but we are at best 63 miles away....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT