ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Woke up this morning with 29° and this outside my front door that was not forecasted:

20230209-071303.jpg

20230209-071326.jpg

2 weeks ago, we were supposed to get 3-5 inches, but this is all we got. The monster loved it though.

20230124-110138.jpg
What happened? Did you get tired of shoveling?

Checking in a bit later than usual today. Crazy busy at work.

Hard to believe we are a few days out from the Super Bowl. It may be because my Bengals fell short when it felt like it might be their year, but I can't feel any enthusiasm for the game. Don't like either franchise but can't muster a lot of energy to root AGAINST either team. It seems like "Super Bowl Week" used to be a much bigger deal, but then that's true of all the big sports events. Maybe its just me.

In any case. I hope all of you are having a good day.

Checking in a bit later than usual today. Crazy busy at work.

Hard to believe we are a few days out from the Super Bowl. It may be because my Bengals fell short when it felt like it might be their year, but I can't feel any enthusiasm for the game. Don't like either franchise but can't muster a lot of energy to root AGAINST either team. It seems like "Super Bowl Week" used to be a much bigger deal, but then that's true of all the big sports events. Maybe its just me.

In any case. I hope all of you are having a good day.
This is where I am. No enthusiasm. No dog in the fight.

Detroit City by Bobby Bare. my dad was one of the hillbillys that went to Detroit to work on the cars after the war. He was also one of the ones who got homesick and went home. When I was in DaNang, Armed Forces Radio was playing that a lot. They had a radio in the guard house at the bomb dump ECP. I'd sit there at night sometimes and they would be playing that song. A few hills away there would be choppers or spookies with mini guns firing at charlie. You could only see the tracers, so there might be 12 or 15 solid lines of red coming down out of the sky. I always think of dad and those mini guns when I hear that song.

Detroit City by Bobby Bare. my dad was one of the hillbillys that went to Detroit to work on the cars after the war. He was also one of the ones who got homesick and went home. When I was in DaNang, Armed Forces Radio was playing that a lot. They had a radio in the guard house at the bomb dump ECP. I'd sit there at night sometimes and they would be playing that song. A few hills away there would be choppers or spookies with mini guns firing at charlie. You could only see the tracers, so there might be 12 or 15 solid lines of red coming down out of the sky. I always think of dad and those mini guns when I hear that song.

My Dad did the same. Dad couldn't hack factory work but he worked other ways...

During college I worked the summers for North American Van Lines and Detroit City by Bobby Bare was at the Top of the Charts. Every trucker on the highway would tune in all night 50,000 watt radio stations and they played music that appealed to the truckers. Our favorites were out of Louisville, Cincinnati, Nashville, Memphis, Jacksonville, New Orleans, Atlanta and West of the Mississippi River, Shrevport, Des Moines, Oklahoma City, etc. Fun times and it sure passed the night away as we were moving folks long distances..

My Pike Co., KY kin also made the journey to Detroit where they made the cars and worked for Ford Motor, Chrysler and GM. Some tried the coal mines but most went up North. A lot of the mountain boys learned to play the system. They would work for awhile in the car factory, then get laid off and head back to the hills. They seemed to always be laid off during Christmas and hunting season. Then the unemployment checks would run out and off they would go back to a factory job. When I was a boy I would wonder how you could get a check in the mail for not working. I thought that was strange. Being around agriculture work in Florida that was something unheard of. You worked for your pay and when work run out you found something else to make a little money. Then back to the groves. My grandfather raised citrus and when the crops were picked he would go down to the packing house and prepare the fruit for shipping. Always working.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 49°F, cloudy with a 12 mph wind out of the northwest. Today's high expected around 54°F. Bah.

Still feeling good and eating well. MRI scheduled at ARA Manor this morning. Facility lies 10 miles east of here. Another round of chemo scheduled for noon. I worked yesterday during treatment sessions. Director not happy about my working during chemo treatments, but he's not yet forbade my efforts.

Going out with former colleagues from Conexant/NXP design center this evening. Mark picking me up around 5:45 pm today.

Game tomorrow at UGA Bulldogs, 11 am CST. Dawgs looking for some payback. Go Cats!

Happy Friday, y'all. Wishing all a safe and wonderful day.

feb10_special-800x425.png

Good morning folks. Glad to are feeling pretty good and eating well during your treatments Austin.

I have my last physical therapy session this morning at 7:30 am. I'm ready to move past this stage. My hip feels perfect and my leg mucles feel strong and pain free. Now, my LEFT knee, that's another story. One step at a time.

I need to get on the road to make the session so I'll wish you all well and check in later.

Good Morning D

It is Friday and Cracker Barrel is having a special on catfish. I know where I am headed. The weather today will be pleasant, 67° and the high should reach 82°. We have a better chance for rain today than yesterday, 15%.

Thankful for the good report from Austin. He is a fighter and fighters win. I will do some tweaking on my sprinkler system today. I am not getting enough pressure to the sprinkler heads. Should be an easy fix.

Take care all,

iu

Last edited:
Good Morning D

It is Friday and Cracker Barrel is having a special on catfish. I know where I am headed. The weather is today will be pleasant, 67° and the high should reach 82°. We have a better chance for rain today than yesterday, 15%.

Thankful for the good report from Austin. He is a fighter and fighters win. I will do some tweaking on my sprinkler system today. I am not getting enough pressure to the sprinkler heads. Should be an easy fix.

Take care all,

iu

We use to enjoy the grilled fish at Cracker Barrel, but my wife's allergy to unbleached flour now prevent us from going. She can't even go in Cracker Barrel or Little Ceasar Pizza. The flour in the air chokes her up.

Have you eaten at Taste of New Orleans in Brooksville? Love seafood and Cajun.

Good morning everyone.

Woke up again before 4 AM. I go through spells so it may be a while before a good nights sleep again. We watched our 2 year old great, great niece all day yesterday. She's pretty smart and very spoiled.
323273823_912836086568402_3480868364497485864_n.jpg
A pic from my hike the other day. When I moved down here from central KY at 22 I had never been to SE KY and didn't know what it looked like. This pic is from the top of Pine Mtn (2nd tallest in the state) looking down at my home area. If you see the wide spot at the gravel road follow that ridge below it a little ways, on the left side of that ridge facing the stand of pine trees I'm right there typing on the D-League thread. You can't see the house...we're tucked up into a little holler.

We use to enjoy the grilled fish at Cracker Barrel, but my wife's allergy to unbleached flour now prevent us from going. She can't even go in Cracker Barrel or Little Ceasar Pizza. The flour in the air chokes her up.

Have you eaten at Taste of New Orleans in Brooksville? Love seafood and Cajun.
No, I have not but I have talked to folks who rave about it. I love seafood and Cajun too and need to check it out.

Good morning everyone.

Woke up again before 4 AM. I go through spells so it may be a while before a good nights sleep again. We watched our 2 year old great, great niece all day yesterday. She's pretty smart and very spoiled.
A pic from my hike the other day. When I moved down here from central KY at 22 I had never been to SE KY and didn't know what it looked like. This pic is from the top of Pine Mtn (2nd tallest in the state) looking down at my home area. If you see the wide spot at the gravel road follow that ridge below it a little ways, on the left side of that ridge facing the stand of pine trees I'm right there typing on the D-League thread. You can't see the house...we're tucked up into a little holler.

Thar's Bars in dem dar hills...

Good morning all,

As John stated when asked in "McClintock"...."Day off?". G.W.- "Off day"....

I cannot tell you how many things are going on today and tomorrow but this has to stop soon... The dependence, needs to taper off and it is going to.... One way or the other...

In any event, have a great day...

Good morning everyone.

I love the mountains.

It is a cooler 48°F and sunny this morning. It was unseasonably warm yesterday and the wind was bad.

@AustinTXCat good to hear that you are tough as a pine knot. The best of luck to you as you fight this thing.

@Sawnee Cat I am a country boy. I love small bergs and the country. In Florida in 1976, the year I first moved to Florida, there was country and little towns all over the place. It was a totally different area than the one I moved from in 2000. We would drive to Gainesville to the Kentucky games and much of the way it was forest. The population growth of Florida has totally changed the state in the time I was there. Florida in the 70's was roughly twice the population of Kentucky and by 2000 it had gone from around 7 million to 16 million. Now it is up to over 22 million. So those small bergs are getting harder and harder to find.

PS
I have no faith in the Cats tomorrow. Cal needs to get his head out of his butt.

It is a cooler 48°F and sunny this morning. It was unseasonably warm yesterday and the wind was bad.

@AustinTXCat good to hear that you are tough as a pine knot. The best of luck to you as you fight this thing.

@Sawnee Cat I am a country boy. I love small bergs and the country. In Florida in 1976, the year I first moved to Florida, there was country and little towns all over the place. It was a totally different area than the one I moved from in 2000. We would drive to Gainesville to the Kentucky games and much of the way it was forest. The population growth of Florida has totally changed the state in the time I was there. Florida in the 70's was roughly twice the population of Kentucky and by 2000 it had gone from around 7 million to 16 million. Now it is up to over 22 million. So those small bergs are getting harder and harder to find.

PS
I have no faith in the Cats tomorrow. Cal needs to get his head out of his butt.

True on all of it Sir but so true on the BS, I mean PS that is Cal...

PS
To your PS, I fear that is a permanent attachment that will require major surgery to remove.

I bought the two President Trump books. I am starting "The Art of the Deal" first.

I haven't read a book in a real long time other than the Bible or training books... We shall see...

Oh, I do have my taxes to do as well...😥 (Complex to the max this time around...)

One of my favorite spots to hang around is Aripeka, FL (pop.323) It is the 843rd largest city in Florida and the 21,594th largest city in the United States. It was a favorite fishing spot for Babe Ruth, he had a fishing cabin there. To say it is off the beaten path is an understatement. My kind of city. LOL

iu
SC, I have a sister and brother in law staying in Clearwater for a month

Bill Buckley is my political hero, bar none.

"Bill Buckley did not resuscitate American conservatism. He did not rejigger it. He created it." That is no exaggeration.

Two things,

I retain a copy of an article he wrote for a ski magazine about being in Zermatt and meeting a number of interesting people. He loved to ski. I loved to ski, but not Zermatt. I still do love it but my dang knee doesn't allow it anymore - so far at least. We'll see. I'll hope if nothing else.

My former boss attended Dartmouth and Buckley delivered a speech there. Afterwards, my boss and other student friends talked with Buckley and he invited them to his home in Stamford, CT. So they went - well of course, who wouldn't? He entertained them playing his harpsicord! who do you know that plays a harpsicord much less has one?

A statement used in my daughters on line Quantitative analysis class/course.

GetAttachmentThumbnail

What the Hell!

Ha, I sat through a quantum computing seminar on a Teams meeting about a week ago and the guy conducting the class couldn't stop chewing his gum long enough to talk. After about ten minutes of gum chewing obnoxiousness, I coughed out a loud drawn-out bullschmidt type cough on an open mic. I think he swallowed his gum but I got his attention.

The class was at least reasonable from that point. The agenda with quantum computing is not on topic yet in forums I have sat-in on, it is mostly sales meetings. No time for that crap, either put out something substantive or go home...

Adding my two cents on quantum computing is harnessing the non-end-points of the targeted information to be able to use it in ensuring mass accuracy along with using non-targeted information. (Yeah it sounds stupid, hence the need for better articulation in a learning environment.)

I can get into a little AI and Robotics.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT