ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Yeah, I started out with rubber balls and tennis balls. They'd wear out way to quickly, plus the golf balls came at me harder. I was prepared for anything that anyone hit at me. Hard hit baseballs were a can of corn after golf balls.

We had plenty of baseballs when I was a kid. We would bike over to Jack Russell Stadium where the Phillies Spring Trained and they would knock them over the wall by the dozens. We would scoop them up with a paper sack.

I had a foot locker full of them. Some of them like new since they were only hit a couple of times. The park was small so you would get a lot of foul balls too. Fun times.

We had plenty of baseballs when I was a kid. We would bike over to Jack Russell Stadium where the Phillies Spring Trained and they would knock them over the wall by the dozens. We would scoop them up with a paper sack.

I had a foot locker full of them. Some of them like new since they were only hit a couple of times. The park was small so you would get a lot of foul balls too. Fun times.
I started in a one room school, but then they built a regular grade school a few miles away. After that, a bunch of us would ride our bikes to the school as it had a ball field. A couple of years later they formed a Khoury League and played games there. I preferred the pick up games as they lasted longer. You don't see pick up games anymore.

Them's ALL mine at my Granddaughters third birthday party today... if the Cats can't win now, they can't win... grandson, granddaughter, daughters and My Darling... I am thankful...

327439852_710027390666407_3303391956422156823_n.jpg

Number 4 but this one'll do it.. I am as loose as goose grease... I feel good. Been a long while. I don't need this much but I needed it.

I am thankful... VERY thankful. I have ten close family members with one on the way. This Ole boy had nothing growing up, so where am I now. I am an eternity from where I come from and I am thankful. Just took some needed time off to get drunk. I am nicer drunk than sober so I am okay.

"Drinking don't muddle me none." -Crow (In the Comanchero's)

No matter the outcome, you all have a great evening.

I am finished posting. I am missing keys now. :rolleyes:

Yes, I was always better with what I call "point and shoot" weapons than aim and shoot. I had my first shotgun at 11 and didn't have a handgun till cop school. I loved an M-60 because you could point, start shooting and let the tracers or debris guide you to the target. I was good with it.

On fielding ground balls, baseball (then later softball) was my life. I used to practice ground balls by throwing golf balls at a rock walls. I figure I did about 5 million over a 3 year period as a young teen ager. To get rid of the ball quickly, I learned to catch the ball at an angle with my feet lining up with first base. That saved me the time of taking a little hop to line up my throw after the catch. I'd do a little mini flip of the ball from glove to throwing hand to save time. It took a lot of practice to be able to be able to do it. Years later I saw Ozzie Smith would sometime do the same thing.
What saves time is using two fielding hands & thus minimize bobbles & immediately having the ball in your throwing hand. Also helps to field it near your throwing hand ear. Neither of those are always possible but thinking to try to make them true is right.

What saves time is using two fielding hands & thus minimize bobbles & immediately having the ball in your throwing hand. Also helps to field it near your throwing hand ear. Neither of those are always possible but thinking to try to make them true is right.
The vast majority of the time, I got to the ball in time to line up the catch with my glove in line with my right shoulder. I'd use soft hands to let the glove give a little with my throwing hand near the glove and also giving. I'd give a gentle flip of the ball to my throwing hand instead of having to reach for the ball. I'm pretty average in most things, but at 37 years old with a bad leg and bad shoulder, a 25 year college coach told my team I was the best third basemen he had ever seen. I could play third base exceptionally well.

Good Sunday Morning
60Ā° at the present and we will reach 82Ā° by this afternoon. Partly cloudy skies and 2% chance of rain. This is the driest time of year for us. So the weather is good.

But last nights game wasn't good. I expected the Cats would win that game so it is a disappointment. Overall the SEC did not look good with the exception of Tennessee. They came through looking good. Alabama got destroyed and Auburn blew it.

You have to hand it to Kansas and their shooters. At clutch time they step up and drilled the 3's that sealed the win. UK couldn't over come and fell short. I will say the refs were horrible and UK certainly did not get a favorable whistle. The Kansas game plan was to mug Oscar all night and take their chances with the poor outside shooting of UK'. It worked and Kansas gave us our 7th loss of the season. And it is still January.

Bill Self schooled Calipari on our home court and was in control most of the game after a shaky start. We needed that one bad to enhance our NCAA resume but it was not to be. Now we are back to the bubble. I pray we are not forced to win the SEC Tournament to get a bid because we know what Calipari thinks about the SEC Tournament. He sees it as a nuisance. Oh well, like I say I am disappointed so I will shut up before I say something I will regret.

Trust all have a great day and let's watch some football. Out of respect for most posters on the D League I will help you pull for the Bengals today.

Good Sunday morning everyone!

I'm disappointed too. It's difficult to win when our 2 main 3 pt threats go 0-8 (I believe). Actually Kansas outplayed us on most levels. But time to put it behind us and move on to the Bengals game. Who would have thought that we would have a better Bengals team than UK basketball? Times change.

Dreary day it looks like here in the mountains so walking on the treadmill after church and then get ready for some football.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Good morning D-League. We currently have a light rain and 42Ā° here in Eastern Kentucky. This afternoon will be cloudy with occasional rain and a high of 48Ā°.

I'm hoping for a round 3 Bengals-49ers Super Bowl. Like the previous two, I want to see Joe quarterback a game winning drive.

Have a great day.

medieval-towns-in-europe-rothenburg-germany.jpg

I can't say that I was disappointed in the game last night. I truly felt that Kansas would win simply because they had lost three game straight and we playing UK which would get them up.

I did get excited when we got back to within one, but UK's shooters bombed out. CJ is not the same shooter he was at Iowa. The courts are the same but CJ can't shoot while wearing blue and white.

I did the hard part of the day first. I edited the game and made a bluray. That is over.

It is a dreary 47Ā° here. We got .69 " of rain in a storm last night after the game.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 66Ā°Ā°F and raining. We're at our high for today. Cold front moving in. Feeling more like a Texas winter. Holding off on my morning walk until it clears.

Cats somewhat disappointed me some last night. Number of shots plus missed 3 pt FG stood out most in my mind. Again, gotta hand it to Bill Self. He brought his team into Rupp Arena ready to play.

Plan on working a few administrative issues and chores today. May bug a few posters in Political thread.

Go Bengals!

Wishing y'all a peaceful, restful day.

blog2-january2019-784x441.jpg

Took the monster out for a walk earlier this morning with 23Ā° and winds 20-30mph making the chill factor in the teens. I bundled up well and was good. the monster loves it cold so, she was having a great time. Had to get her out today and maybe tomorrow. Possibility of freezing rain and snow starting Tuesday morning through Thursday.

Wife just saw one of those commercial ads about Camp lejeune water contamination law suits and ask if I was ever there. I told her that that was a Marine base and not Army. She immediately says "Well you could have been doing some kind of special secret tactical mission or something" I laughed and said "yeah, my code name was Agent Orange, that's right Agent Orange was my name I was in a special unit, airborne tactics, special army..."

Knowing I was quoting a movie or something she ask; "What movie are you quoting now?"

Wife just saw one of those commercial ads about Camp lejeune water contamination law suits and ask if I was ever there. I told her that that was a Marine base and not Army. She immediately says "Well you could have been doing some kind of special secret tactical mission or something" I laughed and said "yeah, my code name was Agent Orange, that's right Agent Orange was my name I was in a special unit, airborne tactics, special army..."

Knowing I was quoting a movie or something she ask; "What movie are you quoting now?"
In my job, I came in contact with all our branches of service, plus that of a few other countries. At DaNang, our bomb dump was right across a narrow road from the marine bomb dump and a couple of miles off base. They put it off the main base, so if it blew up, they'd just lose some dumb cops and not their valuable people. I was ranking security man at the bomb dump on our shift , so I'd spend a lot of time at the ECP (entry control point). The marine ECP was right across the road from us, so I'd sometimes chat with them. I read a joke story once about the marines. There is 100 of them going on a mission. The commander is briefing them and says probably 99 of you will die. All 100 marines are thinking, "those other 99 poor b@stards are going to die." From my chats with them, there's a lot of truth in that story.

Took the monster out for a walk earlier this morning with 23Ā° and winds 20-30mph making the chill factor in the teens. I bundled up well and was good. the monster loves it cold so, she was having a great time. Had to get her out today and maybe tomorrow. Possibility of freezing rain and snow starting Tuesday morning through Thursday.
To her it was a warm 85Ā°F.

Perfect for a swim!!!!

:)

In my job, I came in contact with all our branches of service, plus that of a few other countries. At DaNang, our bomb dump was right across a narrow road from the marine bomb dump and a couple of miles off base. They put it off the main base, so if it blew up, they'd just lose some dumb cops and not their valuable people. I was ranking security man at the bomb dump on our shift , so I'd spend a lot of time at the ECP (entry control point). The marine ECP was right across the road from us, so I'd sometimes chat with them. I read a joke story once about the marines. There is 100 of them going on a mission. The commander is briefing them and says probably 99 of you will die. All 100 marines are thinking, "those other 99 poor b@stards are going to die." From my chats with them, there's a lot of truth in that story.
One of my first cousins, Major Charles Higginbotham, was a big imposing 145 lb. Marine. Three tours in Viet Nam and died last June 6th at 90 years old. He was little but tough as shoe leather.
25fb5449-37f5-43b6-99be-6a7bb252b497.jpg

His daughter is a lawyer who writes books. It is not my fault that she went to UNC.
Check her out:

ADVERTISEMENT