ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

For some strange reason my family has been spared skin cancer. Lots of redheads, blondes and many born and raised in Florida but never skin cancer.

My grandfather was a citrus grower and in the sun constantly. But he dressed for it. He wore a heavy cotton long sleeve shirt and wore a straw cowboy hat. He always wore long pants. He said if you run around in the sun without covering your body you were asking for a painful slow death because this Florida sun will eat you alive.

My grandmother was old school too and she dressed in long dresses that had long sleeves. When she went out she would put on a white pair of ladies gloves. It was just different back then. The old timers went to the beach dressed like that.

I think there is something to this because I have seen skin cancer and one person was a co-worker. She was a beauty and loved the beach. She played beach volleyball and worshipped the sun. She was pure blonde, had fair skin and her ancestry was from Scandinavia. At the age of 55 she got melanoma and it was all down hill from there. She had one of the most painful deaths one could imagine and at the end she was going blind. Cancer spread all over her body but she was strong from being very athletic and fought it off until the end. But it got her.
My dad was born in 1902. He never went to work without a hat, long sleeves, long pants and in Kentucky where we lived he wore high top shoes or boots to keep the copper heads from getting him.

19th Century styled farmers knew the environment that they worked in and took care of themselves.

The only time dad would consider wearing a short sleeved shirt was at home, inside the house.

My dad was born in 1902. He never went to work without a hat, long sleeves, long pants and in Kentucky where we lived he wore high top shoes or boots to keep the copper heads from getting him.

19th Century styled farmers knew the environment that they worked in and took care of themselves.

The only time dad would consider wearing a short sleeved shirt was at home, inside the house.
Yes Sir,

Common sense is so lacking in today's society. Just a HUGE deficiency...

One thing my Dad told me that I have used religiously during my life and I credit it to my Dad, not me...

"Be smarter than what you are working on Bud..."

Just saw something really eye-opening. There's this "homeless guy" who works a major intersection near where I live where the traffic lights can hang you up for 3-4 minutes. He walks among the cars begging -- I've seen him rake in 4-5 bills (assuming $1) at a light change and have even given him a dollar or two myself. Assuming 20 light changes an hour, it would be possible the guy is grossing close to $100 an hour.

Today I got to that intersection a little before 9am and a late-model Subaru Outback pulls up. My wife has a 2017 same model and this one looked newer and better maintained. So, the bum climbs out of the back seat, goes to the hatchback and pulls out his supplies - a little chair, his money bucket etc. I notice there are 3-4 other guys sitting in the Subaru, no doubt heading for their spots to start begging.

Some guy is running a crew of these bums, and I could see him raking in a few thousand bucks a day. What a scam!
The first time I got a pass and went to town after basic, I felt sorry for this beggar and gave him some money. A cop happened to see it and came over and gave me a major chewing out. The guy was just going to go on a drunk. Since then I don't give to street beggars. A couple of years ago though in front of the post office, a guy who said he was a marine vet and had been cheated out of pay for a job he did. Said he hadn't eaten in a couple of days, so I gave him some cash since he was a vet. Who knows, maybe he was scamming to?

I'm waiting for the info to come out in Memphis video. I hope for any protest to be peaceful but my mind keeps saying that all hell will break loose. I hope and pray I'm wrong.
I saw an interview with a Memphis resident and they are praying for very bad weather. They want sleet, ice and freezing temperatures for the next few days in hopes this will blow over.

I feel sorry for those who may have to endure this. I had to work the Rodney King riots in LA and it was the worst duty of my 40+ year career.

I saw an interview with a Memphis resident and they are praying for very bad weather. They want sleet, ice and freezing temperatures for the next few days in hopes this will blow over.

I feel sorry for those who may have to endure this. I had to work the Rodney King riots in LA and it was the worst duty of my 40+ year career.
Bad weather would be nice for Memphis, but I can see people in other cities taking advantage of this situation to disrupt. I hope I'm wrong. But there are those out there that will use any situation to cause trouble and use it as an excuse to go out and loot and destroy. I hope I'm wrong.

Bad weather would be nice for Memphis, but I can see people in other cities taking advantage of this situation to disrupt. I hope I'm wrong. But there are those out there that will use any situation to cause trouble and use it as an excuse to go out and loot and destroy. I hope I'm wrong.
Georgia called out 1,000 National Guard just in case.

37th anniversary of the first inductees into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Gotta question if some of these performers were actually Rock and Roll. All great in their own right.

Chuck Berry, James Brown, Ray Charles, Sam Cooke, Fats Domino, the Everly Brothers, Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis Presley, Little Richard, Robert Johnson, Jimmie Rodgers, Jimmy Yancey, John Hammond, Alan Freed, Sam Phillips.
Early rock n roll........

Enjoyed some King Oscar Royal Fillets Mackerel in olive oil for lunch. Mackerel contains very high amounts of Omega-3 DHA and EPA. Delicious. Honestly, I never knew what I'd been missing.

KO-USA-mackerel-open-can-EVOO.jpg
KIds in school used to make fun of me when I took these for lunch........until they tasted them........I also like sardines in mustard sauce......

Any word on who the officials are for tomorrow's game? It sucks that actually matters but there are a few that really really hate Cal and I would like to know before placing any bets on the game.

I don't get on KSR much but they sometimes say who it is if it is Doug Shows or someone known to seem biased against Cal. Didn't see anything just now on there.

Any word on who the officials are for tomorrow's game? It sucks that actually matters but there are a few that really really hate Cal and I would like to know before placing any bets on the game.

I don't get on KSR much but they sometimes say who it is if it is Doug Shows or someone known to seem biased against Cal. Didn't see anything just now on there.
I'm not 100% sure, but I heard these guys will be there...
iu

The media is doing their best to fan the flames in regards to it. CNN is blaming it on racism, even though the five cops were all black.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 48°F and cloudy. Good chance for rain. Today's high could reach 64°F. We could surely use some.

Huge game tonight goes without saying. Never count out Bill Self. Jayhawks probably seeking a little payback for last season's butt-whooping at Allen Fieldhouse. Cats really need Reeves and CJ to step up. Oscar must be careful with the bullying.

Switching gears: Interesting report came on the news recently. 450,000 new residents moved to Texas just during December, 2022. Seems like they all relocated to Austin. I wonder how many migrated from California? Odds are quite a few.

Wishing all y'all another awesome, enjoyable day. GO CATS!

Blueberry-Pancake-Day-TN.jpg

On the subject of ancestry, according to DNA testing I am 76.8% Scot Irish. With a last name that starts with Mc, who knew? ;)

Now on to the gun range yesterday. Daughter struggled to hit the target (10 yards out) until I noticed she was shooting high. I ask if she was shooting at the head of the silhouette on the target and she said yes. I told her to shoot center of mass because her shot was hitting high on the target above the head. While she was still hitting the target high, it was not off of the silhouette when she aimed center of mass. I then told her to adjust her aim to accommodate and she started hitting it around the mid-section level. Her shot groups can improve, but she at least was hitting it around the area she was aiming.

She was using a Taurus .22 cal pistol since it was her first time but later moved on to a Ruger .380 and then her mother's Taurus Millenium 9mm in which she shot better with a better shot group. Surprising since it had more kick than the earlier pistols. But she said she was beginning to feel more comfortable shooting and not as nervous as she was to start. In fact, she said she liked it and wants to go again soon. Yesssssssss!

Good Saturday Morning D

A little sore from the weight lifting yesterday but nothing out of the ordinary. It felt good. It is 38° but we have clear skies. 10 miles South of us it is 54° but they have clouds. The high should reach 80°.

I am expecting a win today at Rupp against Kansas. I will be preparing a pot of chili for the game prep meal and it will hit the spot with the cool weather down here. I have the old Brookings recipe that Adolph Rupp loved so much.

Trust all are well and have a great day. We need that win tonight Cats

iu

iu

Good morning D-League.

Huge sports weekend.

This weekend last year was the absolute best sports weekend of the year for me, and it wasn't close:

1. Kentucky pulled off an absolute beating of the CheatHawks in Phog Allen Arena and
2. The Bengals won in a major upset in Kansas City to go to their first Super Bowl in nearly 25 years.

I'd love to see that play out again. Things are set up in an eerily similar way except the Cats are in Rupp - still the slight underdog on the betting line -- while the Bengals are playing in Kansas City again.

I hope everyone has a good weekend.

On the subject of ancestry, according to DNA testing I am 76.8% Scot Irish. With a last name that starts with Mc, who knew? ;)

Now on to the gun range yesterday. Daughter struggled to hit the target (10 yards out) until I noticed she was shooting high. I ask if she was shooting at the head of the silhouette on the target and she said yes. I told her to shoot center of mass because her shot was hitting high on the target above the head. While she was still hitting the target high, it was not off of the silhouette when she aimed center of mass. I then told her to adjust her aim to accommodate and she started hitting it around the mid-section level. Her shot groups can improve, but she at least was hitting it around the area she was aiming.

She was using a Taurus .22 cal pistol since it was her first time but later moved on to a Ruger .380 and then her mother's Taurus Millenium 9mm in which she shot better with a better shot group. Surprising since it had more kick than the earlier pistols. But she said she was beginning to feel more comfortable shooting and not as nervous as she was to start. In fact, she said she liked it and wants to go again soon. Yesssssssss!
.22's are fun to shoot. You can shoot them a lot and it won't break the bank.

The war of 1812 is over looked. 2/3 of all American soldiers deaths were Kentucky folks. The second war of independence is overlooked and the history books only are concerned with the burning of DC.

I believe we lost EVERY land battle in that one - yet prevailed in every naval battle (birth of the legend of ol ironsides?)

Only time we fought Canada too i think - ?

Napoleon was raging around the same time so england had their hands full with "the little corporal"

:)

Korean war often described as "the forgoing war" -- we were VERY close to dropbox hydrogen bombs on Chinese forces (my dad was a B29 crew member whos plane was sent i theater to Japan i believe)

Eisenhower single handedly backed down several memories of his cabinet who insisted we drop the new weapon -

I believe we lost EVERY land battle in that one - yet prevailed in every naval battle (birth of the legend of ol ironsides?)

Only time we fought Canada too i think - ?
- We won below New Orleans if that was land and not swamp. And technically it wasn't "in" the war since the peace treaty had already been agreed/signed.
- Canada as a country didn't exist at the time. Still under Brits.

- We won below New Orleans if that was land and not swamp. And technically it wasn't "in" the war since the peace treaty had already been agreed/signed.
- Canada as a country didn't exist at the time. Still under Brits.

ah - yep
Good point about canada!

The NO thing was like the bell sounding in
boxing and one fighter throwing multiple haymakers right after right?

interesting "Diversity" within that fighting force we had too

fur trade angst factored in up around michigan right?

We were always taught center mass. As I have stated before, I have always been pretty average at most things. I reckon I'd beat the average person off the street, but among cops, I was an average shot. We had to qualify now and then, but not as much as you'd think.

However at Tan My, things were different while being the same. At the time, there was no GPS and we were a radar station between Hue and Quang Tri, near the DMZ. Without our radar, our ships and planes had no way to navigate, so we were pretty important. There were plenty of troops nearby who could give us backup, but we were immediate security for the station. All the officers on base were Coast Guard and knew squat about security, so an E-7 and myself were in charge of security. We had our own private firing range and there was no limit to it's use, weapons to use or ammo to use. You'd be shocked at how little use it got.

We were always taught center mass. As I have stated before, I have always been pretty average at most things. I reckon I'd beat the average person off the street, but among cops, I was an average shot. We had to qualify now and then, but not as much as you'd think.

However at Tan My, things were different while being the same. At the time, there was no GPS and we were a radar station between Hue and Quang Tri, near the DMZ. Without our radar, our ships and planes had no way to navigate, so we were pretty important. There were plenty of troops nearby who could give us backup, but we were immediate security for the station. All the officers on base were Coast Guard and knew squat about security, so an E-7 and myself were in charge of security. We had our own private firing range and there was no limit to it's use, weapons to use or ammo to use. You'd be shocked at how little use it got.
I am better with rifles and automatic weapons than with pistols. While my shot group yesterday was decent, I would not have won any trophies. I did notice however the moment I shortened the time between shots my groupings were better. I learned that years ago when shooting rifles, don't aim for to long. Trust your ability to focus and align quickly and then, as soon as you see the target, fire away.

I also found that out when playing baseball/softball. When fielding the ball, after securing it in my hand, turn and look at the base/person you are throwing to and immediately let it go. The body has a natural ability to put the ball where it needs to be, so I trusted it.

I am better with rifles and automatic weapons than with pistols. While my shot group yesterday was decent, I would not have won any trophies. I did notice however the moment I shortened the time between shots my groupings were better. I learned that years ago when shooting rifles, don't aim for to long. Trust your ability to focus and align quickly and then, as soon as you see the target, fire away.

I also found that out when playing baseball/softball. When fielding the ball, after securing it in my hand, turn and look at the base/person you are throwing to and immediately let it go. The body has a natural ability to put the ball where it needs to be, so I trusted it.
Yes, I was always better with what I call "point and shoot" weapons than aim and shoot. I had my first shotgun at 11 and didn't have a handgun till cop school. I loved an M-60 because you could point, start shooting and let the tracers or debris guide you to the target. I was good with it.

On fielding ground balls, baseball (then later softball) was my life. I used to practice ground balls by throwing golf balls at a rock walls. I figure I did about 5 million over a 3 year period as a young teen ager. To get rid of the ball quickly, I learned to catch the ball at an angle with my feet lining up with first base. That saved me the time of taking a little hop to line up my throw after the catch. I'd do a little mini flip of the ball from glove to throwing hand to save time. It took a lot of practice to be able to be able to do it. Years later I saw Ozzie Smith would sometime do the same thing.

On fielding ground balls, baseball (then later softball) was my life. I used to practice ground balls by throwing golf balls at a rock walls. I figure I did about 5 million over a 3 year period as a young teen ager. To get rid of the ball quickly, I learned to catch the ball at an angle with my feet lining up with first base. That saved me the time of taking a little hop to line up my throw after the catch. I'd do a little mini flip of the ball from glove to throwing hand to save time. It took a lot of practice to be able to be able to do it. Years later I saw Ozzie Smith would sometime do the same thing.
You struck a sweet memory. When I was a boy we had a long building with a pitched roof that I used. It was similar to a tobacco barn you find in Kentucky. You could buy a rubber ball the same size as a baseball and it even had the 'stitches" like a real baseball. I would throw the ball on the roof at an angle and make it go high in the air. I would run under the ball and catch it. If I got it high enough I made the Willie Mays basket catch that was so popular in those days. I probably had to run 50' or 60' to catch it. I would do this for hours. It sharpened up my reflexes and I became a pretty good fielder.

Every kid in the 50's remembers "The Catch" . Willie Mays caught a Vic Wetz ball hit deep to center field with an over the shoulder "basket catch" All of us tried to copy that.

You struck a sweet memory. When I was a boy we had a long building with a pitched roof that I used. It was similar to a tobacco barn you find in Kentucky. You could buy a rubber ball the same size as a baseball and it even had the 'stitches" like a real baseball. I would throw the ball on the roof at an angle and make it go high in the air. I would run under the ball and catch it. If I got it high enough I made the Willie Mays basket catch that was so popular in those days. I probably had to run 50' or 60' to catch it. I would do this for hours. It sharpened up my reflexes and I became a pretty good fielder.

Every kid in the 50's remembers "The Catch" . Willie Mays caught a Vic Wetz ball hit deep to center field with an over the shoulder "basket catch" All of us tried to copy that.

Yeah, I started out with rubber balls and tennis balls. They'd wear out way to quickly, plus the golf balls came at me harder. I was prepared for anything that anyone hit at me. Hard hit baseballs were a can of corn after golf balls.

Yeah, I started out with rubber balls and tennis balls. They'd wear out way to quickly, plus the golf balls came at me harder. I was prepared for anything that anyone hit at me. Hard hit baseballs were a can of corn after golf balls.

Sir,

I found the same thing. I used golf balls. Just murderous speed/ quickness came from that practice habit.

Well, I got home...... I logged 15k steps on my fit bit and had to pour myself into my office chair in agony.....

BUT, I have a remedy...............

My Buddy that bought me some Japanese whiskey a couple Christmas's ago leaves for Florida in the morning. Last week or two ago he gave me a bottle (5th of spiced rum.)

I am nursing the first glass of spiced rum and coke on the rocks. A concoction I haven't had in at least several years. I plan to nurse another and very likely another before the game is through... I can see me now...

major-league-bob-uecker.gif

major-league-harry-doyle.gif

KnobbyCheapCanadagoose-max-1mb.gif

InsidiousPolishedEyas-size_restricted.gif

YawningGracefulKite-max-1mb.gif

image0010.jpg

Have a good game and GO CATS!!!

ADVERTISEMENT