ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

There is no doubt our mothers threw out or gave away thousands and thousands of dollars in today's market. One more and I will retire my baseball card posts but this is a small example. Below is my Carl Yastzemski 1960 Rookie Card. It is selling for about $400.00 on ebay depending of course on condition. Another goes for over $600.00

Mine below.

327691705_512953470823602_1114359601684879754_n.jpg

This one sells for $419.99. Mine is in pristine condition.

iu
I had several Yaz rookie cards. Every time I got a little $, I bought cards/bubble gum.

There is no doubt our mothers threw out or gave away thousands and thousands of dollars in today's market. One more and I will retire my baseball card posts but this is a small example. Below is my Carl Yastzemski 1960 Rookie Card. It is selling for about $400.00 on ebay depending of course on condition.

Mine below.

327691705_512953470823602_1114359601684879754_n.jpg

This one sells for $419.99. Mine is in pristine condition.

iu

Always enjoyed watching Yaz play
I had several Yaz rookie cards. Every time I got a little $, I bought cards/bubble gum.

I had my share of cards Sir. When I left for the Army I had two shoeboxes full I gave away to my BIL's brother. (We were in grade school and high school together.) Think he'd share in the multiple rookie cards I had.... Oh well....

I saw him at my BIL/brothers funeral. A rough time but we were still clicking though I was ashamed due to my sister (X of my BIL/brother).

Last edited:
Love seeing the old baseball cards. I've posted several of mine on here before -- I'm the rare kid whose mother preserved them all, and I have a couple thousand. Lucky for me, my peak collecting years were 66-68 when I have virtually every Topps card, many in multiples. Probably the most valuable is this one, Nolan RYan's rookie card, of which I have a couple. One of these in "Gem" - virtually perfect - condition sold for $600,000 in 2020. My best one is not close to that, but I'd say it is still worth in the low four figures.:

Love seeing the old baseball cards. I've posted several of mine on here before -- I'm the rare kid whose mother preserved them all, and I have a couple thousand. Lucky for me, my peak collecting years were 66-68 when I have virtually every Topps card, many in multiples. Probably the most valuable is this one, Nolan RYan's rookie card, of which I have a couple. One of these in "Gem" - virtually perfect - condition sold for $600,000 in 2020. My best one is not close to that, but I'd say it is still worth in the low four figures.:
Wow. Cool stuff.

My late father in-law knew Nolan Ryan and his son fairly well. He's a Texas legend. His son supplied my father in-law with plenty tickets for Round Rock Express games at Dell Diamond.

Sold mine for 500 bucks back in the late 90s. Wasn't in great condition but good enough.

Wayne Gretzky owned a Honus Wagner card worth a bundle. I'm not sure where it is now.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 33°F, clear and calm. Today's high expected around 62°F. Rain chances increasing tomorrow. We surely need some.

Back working today, at least part-time. Makes me happy. I enjoy contributing and assisting these good folks out here in TX. Got a major appointment this afternoon.

Happy Friday, y'all. Wishing you an awesome one.

NATIONAL-CHOCOLATE-CAKE-DAY-%E2%80%93-January-27-e1579800163285.png

Good morning everyone

Most of you are just a little older than me so I've really enjoyed the baseball discussion and any piece of UK basketball history. Thanks.

We didn't get the predicted snow up here on the hill so time to pick up our great, great niece for our Friday babysitting duty.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Wow. Cool stuff.

My late father in-law knew Nolan Ryan and his son fairly well. He's a Texas legend. His son supplied my father in-law with plenty tickets for Round Rock Express games at Dell Diamond.
During my working days I hired a gas turbine engineer as a consultant on all of my energy losses. Oil well pipelines explosions, refinery fires and turbines found in pipeline substations that would break down. He played high school baseball with Nolan Ryan.

Mike played centerfield and he said when Nolan pitched he would take a book to the outfield, sit down and read it, He would laugh and say only a superman could hit a ball pitched by Nolan Richardson.

Good morning D

It is 39° down here and we feel like we are in an Ice Age. The skies will be sunny all day but the high will only get up to 62° with 1% chance of rain. I am ready for some heat.

I am headed to the gyn this morning to work out. I have Florida Humana PPO health insurance and they give you a free membership to a very nice gym just up the road, I take advantage of it.

I trust all are well and enjoy whatever is on your schedule for today.

The Cats football got a couple of nice commits yesterday which is always good to hear.

Good morning folks.

Happy Friday. I’m working from home today so I can go to a physical therapy session in a little while. So I’m being a little lazy getting started this morning.

I see Billy Packer died. I predict my opinion will differ from some D-Leaguers because I really liked watching a game with him doing the analysis. Yes, the was an ACC homer. But he really knew the game, put things into a historical context I really liked, and had a love for the game you could feel. I remember, as one small example, when the Cats had wrapped up the 1998 title he did a little riff on Kentucky winning in 48, 58, 78 and now 98 that put the great legacy of the Wildcats in the proper perspective. I was surprised he was only 82.

Anyway, I hope you all have a good day.

Last edited:
During my working days I hired a gas turbine engineer as a consultant on all of my energy losses. Oil well pipelines explosions, refinery fires and turbines found in pipeline substations that would break down. He played high school baseball with Nolan Ryan.

Mike played centerfield and he said when Nolan pitched he would take a book to the outfield, sit down and read it, He would laugh and say only a superman could hit a ball pitched by Nolan Richardson.
Talkin about the CF'er. We were playing slow pitch softball and this loudmouth on the other team was drunk. The manager told all us fielders to sit down. The guy was so drunk, he struck out anyhow.

Good morning D-League!

Frosty cold morning here in our little holler. Damp cold that gets into your bones quick. I'm a former yankee from the northern Midwest, and it was cold before sunrise today. Hands took 15min to warm back up.

Made breakfast and lunches for the ladies. Scraped and warmed up their vehicles. Lots to get done today. A surprise bit of woodworking to finish up for the wife. Rehab on a property (again). Lunch, business meeting. Chiro appt this afternoon (I gotta find ANOTHER new chiro, as yet another is moving on from my third practice as a patient. I'm taking this all very personally now. It has to be me, right?!) and a doing some electrical work after lunch.

Friends told me about an herbal mix/supplement that has been amazing. Helps with the pain and inflammation in my shoulder and back. Robert's health here in Lexington sells it. Called INFLAMMOVE. Had heard so many good recs that I tried it and WOW. I'm a firm believer in using natural remedies, but this was a shock how well it worked.

Hope yall have a great day and an even better weekend! Got some football commitments to boost my spirits until Spring Football (needed that because there won't be a spring game again). May God continue to bless the D-League!!

Good morning all,

Rough night didn't sleep until about three. (With cause.) Of course, got a call at 8.

The near story on me seven days a week for several months now.

It's got to break soon.

Have a great day...

You went to sleep when I woke up with searing pain. Why are we on this shift schedule you and I? I hope and pray it gets better for you soon, BBUK.

A guy I knew when I was in high school was a little older and worked as a carpet layer. He was working at this ladies house once and she gave him a box of baseball cards. He didn't collect them so he gave them to me. Most of them were from the 50's and 60's. At the time the biggest majority were not very valuable but there was a few that were. If I recall correctly I had a Yaz 1962 Topps in perfect condition and a 1965 Roberto Clemente Topps that was also mint. At that time, around 1987-88, Dwight Gooden, Jose Canseco and Darryl Strawberry were looking like they would be sure fire HOF players and I was trying to gobble up as many of their rookie cards as possible. I traded a lot of those 50's and 60's cards for dudes who snorted their careers up their noses. I'm not sure who was the bigger idiot, me or those coke heads.

So many great memories of Crosley. My dad loved baseball and it was cheap, so we probably went to 20 games a year between the ages of 6 and 14, which was my age when Crosley closed. Also, in those days the Reds had a "Straight A Tickets" program I busted my ass to qualify for, and you'd get tickets to a few random mid-week night games -- the front office probably figured might as well, non-weekend attendance was probably under 15,000 on a good night.

It was a shock when I first went to Riverfront - cavernous bowl, plastic grass, no infield dirt, everything concrete and steel. I never had the same love for the place as I did for Crosley, but the Reds did win the Pennant four times and the Championship twice between my 15th and 21st birthdays, with likely the greatest National League team in history, so still great memories.
Yeah, Crosley Field had character, Riverfront was just a giant cereal bowl. I'm glad those multi-purpose stadiums met the wrecking ball.

Just saw something really eye-opening. There's this "homeless guy" who works a major intersection near where I live where the traffic lights can hang you up for 3-4 minutes. He walks among the cars begging -- I've seen him rake in 4-5 bills (assuming $1) at a light change and have even given him a dollar or two myself. Assuming 20 light changes an hour, it would be possible the guy is grossing close to $100 an hour.

Today I got to that intersection a little before 9am and a late-model Subaru Outback pulls up. My wife has a 2017 same model and this one looked newer and better maintained. So, the bum climbs out of the back seat, goes to the hatchback and pulls out his supplies - a little chair, his money bucket etc. I notice there are 3-4 other guys sitting in the Subaru, no doubt heading for their spots to start begging.

Some guy is running a crew of these bums, and I could see him raking in a few thousand bucks a day. What a scam!

Wow. Cool stuff.

In 1986 Sherry & I used the railroad tickets (just behind home plate about 5 rows up), took some customers and got to see Ryan pitch a 1 hitter against Cincinnati. It was a boring game except to watch Ryan pick apart a bunch of good batters.

Saluting-Legionnaire.jpg

Morning D-legionnaires!

33° this morning with a high in the mid 50's expected.

Got my exercising in this morning already with the ending being a walk with the monster. Even though we only had about a half inch of snow the other day, the neighbor to the back right of my house had built a small snowman which was still partially there. While walking past their house the monster noticed it and started growling in a low growl. She continued until we passed the yard keeping her eyes on it until well passed it. I guess since it was not the normal thing she sees there, she was making sure it knew not to mess with us.

Taking wife, daughter, and BIL to a gun store with an indoor (pistol) shooting range this afternoon. It will be the first time my daughter has shot a gun. She had been bugging me lately about teaching her how to shoot. I have been teaching her using dry fire techniques so as to prepare her for today. The first time my wife shot (during CC certification) I had prepared her too and she was hitting targets better than some of the guys there who were used to shooting them.

You folks enjoy the day and for those still working, TGIF!

@Girthang I am going to look into that Inflammove stuff. Thanks for the info.

I'll need Austin to figure this out:

I was getting off the subway last night and spotted a quarter. I picked it up and noted that it was one of those state quarters -- KANSAS! Normally I'd consider that a bad omen in the days before the KU game. I mean, Kansas quarters are pretty rare.

But then I remembered that in November I found a quarter the day before the Kentucky-Michigan State game, and it was a KENTUCKY quarter. I was sure that guaranteed a win, but it was a loss. So, maybe finding a Kansas quarter guarantees a loss -- for Kansas.

I know omens and superstitions are real, but they can be hard to read.

I'll need Austin to figure this out:

I was getting off the subway last night and spotted a quarter. I picked it up and noted that it was one of those state quarters -- KANSAS! Normally I'd consider that a bad omen in the days before the KU game. I mean, Kansas quarters are pretty rare.

But then I remembered that in November I found a quarter the day before the Kentucky-Michigan State game, and it was a KENTUCKY quarter. I was sure that guaranteed a win, but it was a loss. So, maybe finding a Kansas quarter guarantees a loss -- for Kansas.

I know omens and superstitions are real, but they can be hard to read.
Speaking of quarters, did everyone here know that every US Quarter, dime, half dollar, and dollar coins minted before 1965 contained 90% silver? I didn't before a few weeks ago. Now I am sifting through my coins as I go along and am saving those.

Edited: @AustinTXCat, keep an eye out for those.

Last edited:
Speaking of quarters, did everyone here know that every US Quarter, dime, half dollar, and dollar coins minted before 1965 contained 90% silver? I didn't before a few weeks ago. Now I am sifting through my coins as I go along and am saving those.
Oh yeah. Back in the first big metals boom in the 1970s when silver prices soared, young guys like I was then scoured change like mad, buying as many quarter and dime rolls from banks as we could afford and digging through parents' coin stashes. You could flat out sell any quarter or dime 1964 or older for 3-4 times its face value, and they were only about ten years old then, so they were floating around.

That's why you'll be really lucky to find many today. I'd say the vast majority were rooted out and melted down back in the 1970s.

Busy busy, ready to start our taxes...sigh.... Been streamlining my office to where it's not so cluttered. Got my new UPS two days ago and got the 14 gauge six foot extension just a few minutes ago... Cleaning dust is the hard part but me and Joshua did it.

My granddaughter is having her third birthday party tomorrow..,

Have a house to possibly put up for rent tomorrow....yadda, yadda, yadda plus store some things for my buddy who is moving to Florida...

Sorry for the earlier rant. Just need to stop sometime...but,. Not today...🤔🧐😕 Have a great rest of your day...

Edited: @AustinTXCat, keep an eye out for those.

I find a ton of 1965s. And not the rare ones...

Good morning...

Want a lesson in stupid..

This is a good one. Publicizing this brings copycats....lots of them... Just to see if they can...

Just DUMB....

Yeah, I'm up.... We shall see. I am thankful. Have a great day...

Was just talking about that. I wondered out loud if the fibs knew who they were because they sometimes employed them. They can't always just use the cia to hack and spy on citizens.

Was just talking about that. I wondered out loud if the fibs knew who they were because they sometimes employed them. They can't always just use the cia to hack and spy on citizens.

They have those they strong-arm but hackers are a dime a dozen now. You are supposed to try hard as technology professionals, especially federal IT professionals from keeping hackers from becoming crackers...

Do not present open challenges to hackers.

Think of video game players...it's very addictive...

Just saw something really eye-opening. There's this "homeless guy" who works a major intersection near where I live where the traffic lights can hang you up for 3-4 minutes. He walks among the cars begging -- I've seen him rake in 4-5 bills (assuming $1) at a light change and have even given him a dollar or two myself. Assuming 20 light changes an hour, it would be possible the guy is grossing close to $100 an hour.

Today I got to that intersection a little before 9am and a late-model Subaru Outback pulls up. My wife has a 2017 same model and this one looked newer and better maintained. So, the bum climbs out of the back seat, goes to the hatchback and pulls out his supplies - a little chair, his money bucket etc. I notice there are 3-4 other guys sitting in the Subaru, no doubt heading for their spots to start begging.

Some guy is running a crew of these bums, and I could see him raking in a few thousand bucks a day. What a scam!

They've been doing that in Lexington for years. They interviewed a panhandler here but kept his identity secret. He was making 6 figures. That group here in Lexington changes things up every so often. They rotate their people to different spots all over town.

When they first started doing it, I gave some money to a guy and his wife one day. Later that week I was at a stoplight on the other end of town and saw the same couple with a different sign/story, and rolled my window down to talk to him. He "didn't remember me," but I remembered both of them. I parked and watched them for 6min or so. They called someone and got into a car that came for them and started to leave. I drove past and made it clear I was taking a photo of them. The guy was smiling....

We only give our money to people we know to be in need or to those who provide it to the community. Seen and met too many that are professional scammers. God's pantry is one that we and our friends have trusted for that. We've volunteered at a couple places as well.

They have those they strong-arm but hackers are a dime a dozen now. You are supposed to try hard as technology professionals, especially federal IT professionals from keeping hackers from becoming crackers...

Do not present open challenges to hackers.

Think of video game players...it's very addictive...

Asking for a friend... is that a pre-1965 dime or just a regular old dime ?

I get the addiction of it. It's like gambling, puzzles, and video games together. Read a book on it once that a work acquaintance told me about back in the late 90s. Gave it a try and was able to hack an email account they gave me to practice on. Never did anything like that again.

Wish I had gone into cyber-security years ago. It was very interesting to say the least.

Based on my Ancestry DNA test I am 42% Scot. I have the freckles and red hair to prove it! I really don't know how they separate the Scot from English but they do.
My father's side was pure Scot Irish. His mother, father, grandparents, etc all immigrated from Northern Ireland or as they said Ulster Scot. In America we call them Scot Irish. Mother had about 20% Scot with the remainder being English and one grandmother that was half German. My DNA reflected all of them with the addition of some Nordic blood probably from the Vikings who invaded Scotland back around 1,000 AD. My name is pure "Scotland" but was given to a man who had fled from Ireland. He was named after the city he fled from but the spelling was changed.

We have a ton of red heads in our family and several blonds. I happened to be a blonde or "tow head" as my family called us. I have several cousins with blonde hair.

My father's side was pure Scot Irish. His mother, father, grandparents, etc all immigrated from Northern Ireland or as they said Ulster Scot. In America we call them Scot Irish. Mother had about 20% Scot with the remainder being English and one grandmother that was half German. My DNA reflected all of them with the addition of some Nordic blood probably from the Vikings who invaded Scotland back around 1,000 AD. My name is pure "Scotland" but was given to a man who had fled from Ireland. He was named after the city he fled from but the spelling was changed.

We have a ton of red heads in our family and several blonds. I happened to be a blonde or "tow head" as my family called us. I have several cousins with blonde hair.

Reminds me of a John Wayne movie Sir...😏😁

Do you also have the skin cancer that goes along with the red hair/freckles? I've said for decades that I'm the poster child for skin cancer(basal cell).
For some strange reason my family has been spared skin cancer. Lots of redheads, blondes and many born and raised in Florida but never skin cancer.

My grandfather was a citrus grower and in the sun constantly. But he dressed for it. He wore a heavy cotton long sleeve shirt and wore a straw cowboy hat. He always wore long pants. He said if you run around in the sun without covering your body you were asking for a painful slow death because this Florida sun will eat you alive.

My grandmother was old school too and she dressed in long dresses that had long sleeves. When she went out she would put on a white pair of ladies gloves. It was just different back then. The old timers went to the beach dressed like that.

I think there is something to this because I have seen skin cancer and one person was a co-worker. She was a beauty and loved the beach. She played beach volleyball and worshipped the sun. She was pure blonde, had fair skin and her ancestry was from Scandinavia. At the age of 55 she got melanoma and it was all down hill from there. She had one of the most painful deaths one could imagine and at the end she was going blind. Cancer spread all over her body but she was strong from being very athletic and fought it off until the end. But it got her.

Speaking of 1964 silver coins, here's a coin nerd story.

As they were phasing out silver quarters and dimes in 1964, they minted an incredible number of 1964 nickels to fill the gap -- nearly THREE BILLION. To put that into context, the next year in 1965 they only minted 136 million nickels - a little over four percent as many. To put it into more context it's enough so that even today - not counting ones lost or destroyed - every American could still own nearly ten 1964 nickels.

As a result, I noticed all the way into the 1990s, if you had a pocket full of change you were pretty likely to have a 1964 nickel. Back when people carried change in their purses or pockets, I'd bet people that they were carrying a 1964 nickel. Women with change purses almost always had one and they'd be amazed you knew they were randomly carrying a nickel from 30 or more years ago. But it wasn't random. Just probability.

Too much time has passed so I doubt it would still work.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT