ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

That is the truth about Rupp and Tennessee. I saw it with my own eyes and heard it from the lips of Rupp.

Rupp started the UKIT or University of Kentucky Invitational Tournament in the 1950's. This tournament was set up to be played just before Christmas on the home floor of Kentucky. It was to have the best four teams in the nation available for a two game tournament. Friday night's winners played for the championship on Saturday night. The losers played in the consolation game. We had some of the greatest teams and players of that era play on our home floor. The best of the best.

One year, it may have been 62 or 63, a team pulled out at the last moment for some reason and it left a spot open. The UKIT was the highest paying collegiate "holiday tournament" in the country and lots of teams wanted to come because of the $$$$.

But Rupp called Tennessee and offered them the spot. He publically said he wanted them to play as a thank you for having UK's back. Now Tennessee was a horrible program at that time and their attendance in Knoxville was low so they jumped on the chance to play. They wanted the big payout and Rupp was eager to give it to them in show of gratitude for backing UK during the dark days of the scandal. Most SEC teams were ready to kick UK out of the SEC conference but Tennessee argued no. And we stayed. But it took a huge argument from Tennessee in support of UK.

I remember that UKIT game so plain because the big man on Tennessee was Orb Bowling from Sandy Hook, KY. He was almost 7 feet and weighed a little over 200 lbs. He was awkward looking and had a funny face. UK students were familiar with Sandy Hook, KY and their famous cheer. It went like this.

Sandy Hook, Sandy Hook
We are it
SH for Sandy Hook
IT for it.

Each time Orb Bowling got the ball we would start on that chant. The picture below is Orb Bowling being guarded by UK great Ted Deeken, forward #12. Deeken was solid and paired up well with Cotton Nash, the All American. Scotty Baesler was the point guard on the team, he is on the right #14. He became a U.S. Rep from Lex and mayor of Lexington.

iu

Orb Bowling also played for the Kentucky Colonels

iu
Gosh, I love stories like this.

The D-League is special.

For a long time, along with the football Sugar Bowl was a basketball Sugar Bowl. If featured 2 of the top basketball teams each year. Very often, UK was in it. It was traditional and very common for schools to give football players spending money for the trip. Rupp thought it should be the same for his players and he cleared it with the UK prez. That was basically what the NCAA got UK on. It was also another reason Rupp was upset that the SEC football schools other than UT failed to back him.

That is the truth about Rupp and Tennessee. I saw it with my own eyes and heard it from the lips of Rupp.

Rupp started the UKIT or University of Kentucky Invitational Tournament in the 1950's. This tournament was set up to be played just before Christmas on the home floor of Kentucky. It was to have the best four teams in the nation available for a two game tournament. Friday night's winners played for the championship on Saturday night. The losers played in the consolation game. We had some of the greatest teams and players of that era play on our home floor. The best of the best.

One year, it may have been 62 or 63, a team pulled out at the last moment for some reason and it left a spot open. The UKIT was the highest paying collegiate "holiday tournament" in the country and lots of teams wanted to come because of the $$$$.

But Rupp called Tennessee and offered them the spot. He publically said he wanted them to play as a thank you for having UK's back. Now Tennessee was a horrible program at that time and their attendance in Knoxville was low so they jumped on the chance to play. They wanted the big payout and Rupp was eager to give it to them in show of gratitude for backing UK during the dark days of the scandal. Most SEC teams were ready to kick UK out of the SEC conference but Tennessee argued no. And we stayed. But it took a huge argument from Tennessee in support of UK.

I remember that UKIT game so plain because the big man on Tennessee was Orb Bowling from Sandy Hook, KY. He was almost 7 feet and weighed a little over 200 lbs. He was awkward looking and had a funny face. UK students were familiar with Sandy Hook, KY and their famous cheer. It went like this.

Sandy Hook, Sandy Hook
We are it
SH for Sandy Hook
IT for it.

Each time Orb Bowling got the ball we would start on that chant. The picture below is Orb Bowling being guarded by UK great Ted Deeken, forward #12. Deeken was solid and paired up well with Cotton Nash, the All American. Scotty Baesler was the point guard on the team, he is on the right #14. He became a U.S. Rep from Lex and mayor of Lexington.

iu

Orb Bowling also played for the Kentucky Colonels

iu

Sawnee you have my permission to tell stories like this any time you want. I can tell you pretty much anything about UK basketball since the 78 season, but am pretty ignorant to most of the Rupp era.

Thank you for this one.

That's interesting Bernie.

I saw both too, though certainly not as often as you. Rolen was still an above-average 3rd baseman with the Reds teams that won the NL Central 2-3 times under Dusty Baker. And I remember how good he was for a while with the Cardinals. I just would have ranked other players as more worthy of the HOF - including Ken Boyer.

It's just the bias of youth, I suppose. Major Leaguers, especially All Stars, seem like Gods when you are 10 years old. It's a lot easier to judge them critically when you are 35-40.

I can believe that about LaRussa, by the way. Good for Rolen if he stood up to him.
There is a site called baseballreference.com. you can get every stat you can think of on it. A lot of saber stuff. There is a section called hall of fame monitor. They assign a numerical value to stats and total them up. It measures the likelihood a player will make the hall of fame. A score of 100 means you have a good chance of making it. Boyer scores 87. Rolen scores 99. 130 means you are a virtual lock. A few examples: Musial is #1 at 452 Cobb is #2 at 445. Mays 376 Bonds 340 Puhols 334.

There is a site called baseballreference.com. you can get every stat you can think of on it. A lot of saber stuff. There is a section called hall of fame monitor. They assign a numerical value to stats and total them up. It measures the likelihood a player will make the hall of fame. A score of 100 means you have a good chance of making it. Boyer scores 87. Rolen scores 99. 130 means you are a virtual lock. A few examples: Musial is #1 at 452 Cobb is #2 at 445. Mays 376 Bonds 340 Puhols 334.
Thanks for that Bernie. I’ll check it out. In my heart I’ve always believed my boyhood favorite Vada Pinson should be in the Hall though my brain tells me he’s probably a little short statistically.

EDIT: looked all over the site, couldn’t find the “Hall of Fame Monitor.” I’ll check it out again later.

Last edited:
Thanks for that Bernie. I’ll check it out. In my heart I’ve always believed my boyhood favorite Vada Pinson should be in the Hall though my brain tells me he’s probably a little short statistically.

EDIT: looked all over the site, couldn’t find the “Hall of Fame Monitor.” I’ll check it out again later.
Search any player. Scroll down till you reach Hall of Fame Statistics. Hall of fame monitor is the third option.

Good morning from ATX. We've got 34°F and clear, with light wind out of north west. Today's high may max out at 57°F. Day should end well.

Wife and were early adopters of Paypal back in 1999 or 2000. We had not used the account since 2004. Logged in for first time yesterday since '04 to find out small amount $ still there. Ha ha, go figure.

Doctor cleared me for return to work. Back in the saddle tomorrow.

Switch gears: Local nut-jobs shooting laser pointers at medical evacuation helicopters, blinding pilots. Issuue becoming more frequent around here. Idiots. Remember couple times over past 30-40 years instances in which certain loons shot at aircraft, including jet airliners, hitting a few and even injuring passengers. Bah.

Jump on the day and make it yours. Have a great one, y'all.

Green-Juice-Day.jpg

34.7°F and cloudy in Smiths Grove. The high is only supposed to be 36°F and going down to 26 tomorrow morning. We had a really windy day yesterday. The wind imported some more leaves and deposited them in my back yard.

I watched the Vandy game again yesterday after I edited and burned it. It is still hard to remember a game when one team only got 2 free throws.

Have a good Thursday guys.

Good morning D-League. Hope all is well.

Grinding away at work this morning. Cold and gloomy in the east.

Re-watched the Tennessee game last night, thanks to a Blu Ray disc I got through Ritchie Curtis. I get so hyped during the games I miss a lot, so I like to watch important games over again, and keep a library to compare past performances. Bottom line, the defense was stout and took Tennessee out of their rhythm and normal offense. Kentucky played with energy, but missed a lot of make-able shots. This team's best game is still ahead of it.

I hope you all have a good Thursday.

So I found Vada. Thanks again Bernie.
Pinson was a 95 on that scale, compared to 99 for Rolen and 87 for Ken Boyer. I guess that confirms his status as close, but no cigar. But very close.

What does piss me off is for someone that close he never got much respect at all from the HOF voters -- he stalled out with no shot. That wasn't fair.

There was a time (no longer true) that Vada Pinson had more base hits than anyone not in the Hall of Fame. That's tough.

Some stats: He had a.286 career batting average with 2,757 hits, 256 home runs, 1,169 runs batted in, and 1,365 runs scored. Pinson was selected to play in 4 All-Star Games. He also won a Gold Glove as a center fielder in 1961 -- when Willie Mays was still close to his prime and the National League was absolutely packed with great outfielders.

That was Pinson's problem: His career played out at the same time as four guys who make Top Ten All Time outfielder lists: Aaron, Mays, Frank Robinson and Clemente.

Last edited:
So I found Vada. Thanks again Bernie.
Pinson was a 95 on that scale, compared to 99 for Rolen and 87 for Ken Boyer. I guess that confirms his status as close, but no cigar. But very close.

What does piss me off is for someone that close he never got much respect at all from the HOF voters -- he stalled out with no shot. That wasn't fair.

There was a time (no longer true) that Vada Pinson had more base hits than anyone not in the Hall of Fame. That's tough.

Some stats: He had a.286 career batting average with 2,757 hits, 256 home runs, 1,169 runs batted in, and 1,365 runs scored. Pinson was selected to play in 4 All-Star Games. He also won a Gold Glove as a center fielder in 1961 -- when Willie Mays was still close to his prime and the National League was absolutely packed with great outfielders.
I liked Pinson better than Robinson, though Robinson was obviously the better player. HOF monitor is just based on stats. Actual voters bring personal prejudices that may influence the way they feel.

Last edited:
I just remembered I have a dental appointment at 10:00 and also have an appointment at the gym where I work out at 10:00. Dang. I do this too often. So I will call the gym and reschedule.

I enjoy going to the dentist because I still have very good teeth for my age and all of them. I haven't had a cavity in decades. My mother lived to be 95 and had all of her teeth. But daddy didn't have a tooth in his head when he was 21 years old. They blamed it on the water. Mama drank from a spring as a child and daddy drank from a well that was next to a coal mine and was polluted most of the time. They always blamed it on the water they drank as children. Stores didn't sell bottled water back in those days.

I liked Pinson better than Robinson, though Robinson was obviously the better player.
I was five, going on six, the year the Reds won a rare pennant in 1961, with Vada and Frank in the outfield. Man, I loved watching them play in old Crosley Field over the next few years. Everything about that era of baseball, and the Reds, remains vivid to me -- even the Reds' uniforms of that era with the white caps with red bills, the sleeveless jerseys and red undershirts. Such a classic look.

Last edited:
I liked Pinson better than Robinson, though Robinson was obviously the better player. HOF monitor is just based on stats. Actual voters bring personal prejudices that may influence the way they feel.
My dad was a huge Reds fan, being from the hills of Kentucky, and liked Vada Pinson too. Frankie Robinson was solid but Vada had a better personality in his opinion.

My favorite on those Reds teams was Ted Kluszewski. Big Klu had massive arms and many said when the Reds went to their cut off sleeve uniforms it was because of him
iu

I was five, going on six, the year the Reds won a rare pennant in 1961, with Vada and Frank in the outfield. Man, I loved watching them play in old Crosley Field over the next few years. Everything about that era of baseball, and the Reds, remains vivid to me -- even the Reds' uniforms of that era with the white caps with red bills, the sleeveless jerseys and red undershirts. Such a classic look.
Best part of old Crosley was the the outfield terrace. Made fools of many an outfielder. Recall an ITPHR down the LF line when the visiting LFer tripped starting after the ball & it rolled up the terrace & stopped against the wall. CFer wound up picking it up.

Balls flew out of it easily both because air could get thru the upper deck & its smallish dimensions. BUT, that terrace actually made the field bigger than the listed dimensions: 328 LF line, 390 CF, 393 RCR, & 366 RF line. Those are etched in my mind. Also, huge tall scoreboard created two-baggers that otherwise would have been HR's.

My dad was a huge Reds fan, being from the hills of Kentucky, and liked Vada Pinson too. Frankie Robinson was solid but Vada had a better personality in his opinion.

My favorite on those Reds teams was Ted Kluszewski. Big Klu had massive arms and many said when the Reds went to their cut off sleeve uniforms it was because of him
iu
I think I've said before that at my first MLB Game at Crosley in 1954 against the Bums that Klu lined one into the RF bleachers. I never saw the ball. Just the crack of the bat & seeing people jumping up & down in the bleachers. The thought of a ball traveling that far that fast boggled my still young mind.

Best part of old Crosley was the the outfield terrace. Made fools of many an outfielder. Recall an ITPHR down the LF line when the visiting LFer tripped starting after the ball & it rolled up the terrace & stopped against the wall. CFer wound up picking it up.

Balls flew out of it easily both because air could get thru the upper deck & its smallish dimensions. BUT, that terrace actually made the field bigger than the listed dimensions: 328 LF line, 390 CF, 393 RCR, & 366 RF line. Those are etched in my mind. Also, huge tall scoreboard created two-baggers that otherwise would have been HR's.
I heard stories in my youth that the longest home run in history was hit out of Crosley Field. A truck was passing by Crosley Field, and somebody hit a home run out of the park, a little to the right of center, it landed in the bed of a truck and was taken alll the way to California. Probably folklore but it made a good story for a 10 year old kid like me.

crosley3.jpg

EDIT FOR A SIDE NOTE

Crosley was steep in baseball history and was the scene of the first night game. On May 28, 1935, Babe Ruth tripped on the incline while chasing a fly ball and fell on his face. He left the field cursing and retired a few days later.

Last edited:
I heard stories in my youth that the longest home run in history was hit out of Crosley Field. A truck was passing by Crosley Field, and somebody hit a home run out of the park, a little to the right of center, it landed in the bed of a truck and was taken alll the way to California. Probably folklore but it made a good story for a 10 year old kid like me.

crosley3.jpg
They tell the same story of a Ted Williams homer in Boston.

crosley3.jpg

EDIT FOR A SIDE NOTE

Crosley was steep in baseball history and was the scene of the first night game. On May 28, 1935, Babe Ruth tripped on the incline while chasing a fly ball and fell on his face. He left the field cursing and retired a few days later.
So many great memories of Crosley. My dad loved baseball and it was cheap, so we probably went to 20 games a year between the ages of 6 and 14, which was my age when Crosley closed. Also, in those days the Reds had a "Straight A Tickets" program I busted my ass to qualify for, and you'd get tickets to a few random mid-week night games -- the front office probably figured might as well, non-weekend attendance was probably under 15,000 on a good night.

It was a shock when I first went to Riverfront - cavernous bowl, plastic grass, no infield dirt, everything concrete and steel. I never had the same love for the place as I did for Crosley, but the Reds did win the Pennant four times and the Championship twice between my 15th and 21st birthdays, with likely the greatest National League team in history, so still great memories.

Last edited:

crosley3.jpg

EDIT FOR A SIDE NOTE

By the end of his career, Ruth was rather chubby and didn't run well. I've read the Dodger pitchers banded together and told management they would not pitch as long as Ruth was playing defense behind them. That's why he retired.

crosley3.jpg

EDIT FOR A SIDE NOTE

One footnote to that Babe Ruth yarn - Ruth was playing with a muscle pull, and the Reds hit everything at him to take advantage, according to biographies I'd read, really humiliating him.

He should have quit three days earlier: On May 25, 1935, there was a flash of the old Babe when he hit three home runs in a single game at Forbes Field in Pittsburgh.

By the end of his career, Ruth was rather chubby and didn't run well. I've read the Dodger pitchers banded together and told management they would not pitch as long as Ruth was playing defense behind them. That's why he retired.
I can see that. Babe Ruth was never one for being in shape and training. He was well know in the area I live and the stories the old timers would tell were great to listen to. He loved to have fun and he loved to fish. He had a fishing cabin on the Gulf about 10 miles South of where I live. A lot of beer drinking took place in that cabin so they say.

But for God given talent Ruth had it. He could hit a ball a mile and when young was a better picture than hitter. He held several World Series records for pitching many years. He pitched 29 1/3 scoreless innings in the Series and it was broken by Whitey Ford in 1961.

He led the league in home runs as a pitcher. One season as a pitcher, his record was 23 Wins and 170 Strikeouts. A 1.75 ERA, 9 Shutouts and 23 Complete Games.

But he was too good of a hitter to be limited to fewer games because he was a pitcher so he went to the outfield.

Babe Ruth was a hero when kids had heroes. I am not sure they do anymore. One great thing about that era was dirty laundry was not aired in public. Today it is and is often celebrated.

I doubt there has ever been a sports figure as popular as Babe Ruth was for kids. When I was a boy and started collecting cards my daddy gave me a baseball card he got in 1927 when he was 11 years old. I kept it and somehow saved it when my mama threw out all of my cards when I left home. I only managed to save a few of them. This card is 96 years old.

327782147_1159946337856300_3539706019007663785_n.jpg

crosley3.jpg

EDIT FOR A SIDE NOTE

Easily possible as you can see. I-75 today is just on the other side of that street & graded higher. Reds were still in Crosley in early years of I-75 & several balls were hit across the street & into the side of an I-75 exit ramp. Don't recall of hearing a ball getting onto I-75 proper. Downtown Cincy is about 2 miles beyond the RF bleachers. Looks like Roy McMillan at SS.

Speaking of Ken Boyer and Clete Boyer here are a couple of cards. Ken with The Mick at the All Star Game and Clete as a Yank.

326412406_1025512058265284_2861379296266532944_n.jpg
I had both those cards. While I was in the military, mom gave almost all my cards to a cousin who used them to open a sports card business. I had a bunch of them. I still have the hand full they didn't see.

Babe Ruth was a hero when kids had heroes. I am not sure they do anymore. One great thing about that era was dirty laundry was not aired in public. Today it is and is often celebrated.

I doubt there has ever been a sports figure as popular as Babe Ruth was for kids. When I was a boy and started collecting cards my daddy gave me a baseball card he got in 1927 when he was 11 years old. I kept it and somehow saved it when my mama threw out all of my cards when I left home. I only managed to save a few of them. This card is 96 years old.

327782147_1159946337856300_3539706019007663785_n.jpg
😍

Sir,

I can't comprehend it but that is remarkable....

I had both those cards. While I was in the military, mom gave almost all my cards to a cousin who used them to open a sports card business. I had a bunch of them. I still have the hand full they didn't see.
There is no doubt our mothers threw out or gave away thousands and thousands of dollars in today's market. One more and I will retire my baseball card posts but this is a small example. Below is my Carl Yastzemski 1960 Rookie Card. It is selling for about $400.00 on ebay depending of course on condition. Another goes for over $600.00

Mine below.

327691705_512953470823602_1114359601684879754_n.jpg

This one sells for $419.99. Mine is in pristine condition.

iu

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT