ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

One must pick his battles wisely. All battles are not worth fighting.
Truer words were rarely spoke, Bernie. My wife has been telling me that since I was a hot-headed 20-something.

She lives in fear of having to witness me with a ruined hip rolling around on the floor of the subway with a filthy lunatic who thinks Ronald Reagan is still president. If only I could convince her of how much I've mellowed. But she still thinks all us Kentucky men are spoiling for a fight.

Last edited:
I was just on the subway when I witnessed an amusing drama.

Across the subway door facing me was a well-dressed man in a suit and overcoat about 40 reading something on a hand-held Kindle or whatever. This guy reeked of being some high-ranking government official in DC.

The door opens, and this filthy guy, I couldn't even tell if he was white or Hispanic or Middle Eastern he was so dirty, gets on dragging this huge cart with a broken wheel and two garbage bags packed with junk. He's got this scowl on his face that reads both angry and crazy.

So, he points at this well-dressed guy and orders him to get up out of his seat -- which the guy immediately does! Then then bum takes his seat with this mean smirk on his face.

I look into the guy's lunatic eyes as if to let him know, "you are lucky you didn't try that with me. I'd have told you to go Bleep yourself."

But then the wave of stench hits me and I realize that if the well-dressed guy had stood his ground he'd be forced to sit next to this horrible smell, just to save his pride.

I guess a wise man knows there is no point in being Clint Eastwood on the DC subway when it comes to gangs of armed teenagers or homeless bums.
Great day. What the heck??

Reading this would make me vote against public transportation.

Truer words were rarely spoke, Bernie. My wife has been telling me that since I was a hot-headed 20-something.

She lives in fear of having to witness me with a ruined hip rolling around of the floor of the subway with a filthy lunatic who thinks Ronald Reagan is still president. If only I could convince her of how much I've mellowed. But she still thinks all us Kentucky men are spoiling for a fight.
As I read this I thought back to childhood and that was a scene one would never see. It just didn't happen. Then I remembered we still had insane asylums back then. Bag ladies and men pushing carts onto a subway were non existent. They were removed from society.

Now we just throw some drugs their direction and turn them loose. We are society fueled by drugs, both legal and illegal. Pills are everywhere.

She lives in fear of having to witness me with a ruined hip rolling around on the floor of the subway with a filthy lunatic who thinks Ronald Reagan is still president. If only I could convince her of how much I've mellowed. But she still thinks all us Kentucky men are spoiling for a fight.
When one pays the price enough times, sometimes he starts to weigh the expenditure against the gain.

It is a too warm 58.1°F on our way to a high of 62°F this afternoon.

I edited and watched the Georgia game again. You see so much the second time through. Georgia got by with murder in guarding Oscar. It was rough as could be. I don't understand why teams can't ban certain officials like Tuesday nights Joe Lyndsey. All the bad calls against UK were basically done by him. A long time ago coaches could ban officials from their games and it needs to be brought back.

Have a good Friday eve.

It is a too warm 58.1°F on our way to a high of 62°F this afternoon.

I edited and watched the Georgia game again. You see so much the second time through. Georgia got by with murder in guarding Oscar. It was rough as could be. I don't understand why teams can't ban certain officials like Tuesday nights Joe Lyndsey. All the bad calls against UK were basically done by him. A long time ago coaches could ban officials from their games and it needs to be brought back.

Have a good Friday eve.
One referee that may have been black balled from UK games was Max Macon. I was a first semester freshman at UK when the Cats played Southern California. USC had an All American named John Rudometkin and he was a beast. The game was close from the start when late in the game Max Macon missed a travel call that was obvious. It was plain to see. Coach Rupp got into a heated argument with the referee and got a technical. UK lost 79-77.

Max Macon had been referring UK games since 1948 but had always been controversial and not liked by UK or UK fans. After that missed call and technical on Rupp his last game referring a UK game was a few weeks later. The word was Rupp had him blackballed. I think every coach had 2 or 3 they could put on that list.

My dad despised Max Macon as a referee and would boo him as loud as he could. So did every other UK fan. When his name was mentioned before the game the entire Memorial Coliseum would boo so loud it felt like the place was shaking. Students would stomp on the floor in disgust.

For baseball fans, Max Macon was from Louisville and had a baseball career that lasted 19 years. In the majors he started his career with the St Louis Cardinals.

I am one who also despised Max Macon and am convinced he cost UK the USC game and I believe he did it deliberately. I don't know if he was hesitant to call a walk on an All American but it happened about 30' from where I was sitting and it was plain to see.

UK finished the season ranked # 3 in the AP and UPI polls. The team lost to Ohio State with Jerrry Lucas in the Regional Finals. Ohio State was a powerhouse in those days.

s-l640.jpg

Last edited:
I was reading this morning that Stan Musial was Mickey Mantle's favorite player. Mantle grew up in St Louis Cardinal "territory" and his dream was to play for the Cardinals. But the Yanks offered and off he went to New York.

Here he is studying that famous Stan Musial grip. Musial had a special way of holding a bat and batting stance.

325312651_512113284109720_2368135784648363911_n.jpg

Also the article said Mantle was the first baseball player to hit a home run in a dome stadium. A 406' blast in Houston, Texas' AstroDome. A little baseball trivia. In attendance was the President of the United States, LBJ and his wife Lady Bird

325521362_488094930065773_3296750406984792991_n.jpg

Last edited:
I was reading this morning that Stan Musial was Mickey Mantle's favorite player. Mantle grew up in St Louis Cardinal "territory" and his dream was to play for the Cardinals. But the Yanks offered and off he went to New York.

Here he is studying that famous Stan Musial grip. Musial had a special way of holding a bat and batting stance.

325312651_512113284109720_2368135784648363911_n.jpg

Also the article said Mantle was the first baseball player to hit a home run in a dome stadium. A 406' blast in Houston, Texas' AstroDome. A little baseball trivia.

325521362_488094930065773_3296750406984792991_n.jpg
Musial was also Al Kaline's favorite player when he was growing up. Stan's favorite was a LHP named Carl Hubbell. They once asked Stan how to hit. He said he looked for a baseball and then knocked the sh!t out of it.

Mike Shannon came up at the tail end of Musial's career after Stan had seen his better days. Mike said if you looked in the bat racks around the league at people's bats, you'd see little dings all up and down the bats where people had hit the ball. Mike said (even at the end of Stan's career) you'd see all the dings in a six inch area around the sweet spot.

Mike Shannon came up at the tail end of Musial's career after Stan had seen his better days. Mike said if you looked in the bat racks around the league at people's bats, you'd see little dings all up and down the bats where people had hit the ball. Mike said (even at the end of Stan's career) you'd see all the dings in a six inch area around the sweet spot.

In baseball Sir, hand-eye coordination is everything. Hank Aaron went into that a lot in some printed press I read about him years ago.

I am getting ready to head down to Clearwater for the Ricky Skaggs concert tonight. Taking my favorite girl out to a Korean Restaurant before the show. Should be fun.

Another favorite from Ricky and his wife

Sir,

Enjoy... I wish My Darling could cook for us since you mentioned Korean cooking. Not being prejudiced, but I am very partial to My Darlings Korean cuisine... I have tasted some good food though outside My Darlings.

Just got back about 20 minutes ago from the funeral of my old boss when I worked at the Unit Movement Office. As I posted before, he was a retired CSM and had full burial honors (pictures of Rifle team/honor guard below). He was buried at the Ft Sill National Cemetery that is in Elgin OK where I live. Well over 100 people attended his funeral. Taps always gets me.

20230119-141048.jpg

20230119-141223.jpg

Just got back about 20 minutes ago from the funeral of my old boss when I worked at the Unit Movement Office. As I posted before, he was a retired CSM and had full burial honors (pictures of Rifle team/honor guard below). He was buried at the Ft Sill National Cemetery that is in Elgin OK where I live. Well over 100 people attended his funeral. Taps always gets me.

20230119-141048.jpg

20230119-141223.jpg
You have posted pictures of the big guns. That is what my dad did in WW2. When he died, Fort Campbell sent guys to bury him. I didn't think I would, but I cried like a baby during taps.

You have posted pictures of the big guns. That is what my dad did in WW2. When he died, Fort Campbell sent guys to bury him. I didn't think I would, but I cried like a baby during taps.
I have done a few burial details in my day as well. One in particular while stationed at Ft. Campbell was for a major who died from a gunshot wound while hunting with other officers (Accidental shooting). It was in Knoxville Tn. and we traveled there from Ft. Campbell for the detail. My team was sharp and cared about how they were perceived. All except the bugler that is. He was assigned to us for the detail and was a mess. His Blues were not up to standard and when I told him he would have them ready for the burial his response was that he did not work for me (just a buck sergeant) and that his boss was a SFC in the Army band at Campbell. Besides he said: "I will be behind cover so as not to be seen". I reminded him that if requested he must be in the open. He tried to argue, but I got pissed and told him if I have to kick your ass to get it in gear I would. My guys quickly stepped in and said: "We'll take care of it Chief" They said they would help him get his uniform right before the next day.

The next day during the funeral the father of the major (a retired Colonel) requested the bugler to be openly seen. After our 21-gun salute, he began to play, and he was really good. When he was finished there was hardly a dry eye there. Then, the Colonel and his wife walked over to my team and thanked us with the Colonel saying that was the best he'd ever seen. His wife asked one of my soldiers why he was tearing up in which he replied: "Maam, he was one of us". She broke down.

Last edited:
I have done a few burial details in my day as well. One in particular while stationed at Ft. Campbell was for a major who died from a gunshot wound while hunting with other officers (Accidental shooting). It was in Knoxville Tn. and we traveled there from Ft. Campbell for the detail. My team was sharp and cared about how they were perceived. All except the bugler that is. He was assigned to us for the detail and was a mess. His Blues were not up to standard and when I told him he would have them ready for the burial his response was that he did not work for me (just a buck sergeant) and that his boss was a SFC in the Army band at Campbell. Besides he said: "I will be behind cover so as not to be seen". I reminded him that if requested he must be in the open. He tried to argue, but I got pissed and told him if I have to kick your ass to get it in gear I would. My guys quickly stepped in and said: "We'll take care of it Chief" They said they would help him get his uniform right before the next day.

The next day during the funeral the father of the major (a retired Colonel) requested the bugler to be openly seen. After our 21 salute he began to play, and he was really good. When he was finished there was hardly a dry eye there. Then, the Colonel and his wife walked over to my team and thanked us with the Colonel saying that was the best he'd ever seen. His wife asked one of my soldiers why he was tearing up in which he replied: "Maam, he was one of us". She broke down.
Yes. I made sure to thank the guys before they left.

Yes. I made sure to thank the guys before they left.
It is the last official act the military will do for its fallen and the family. It should be done with pride and reverence so that the family can always remember that the military cared for its own.

Had two that I was overseeing in OKC one weekend and was at one where the lieutenant and I folded the flag and presented to the spouse, and then we quickly left to go to the other to the other where the other lieutenant told the funeral director (before we got there) for him and his son to fold it. When we left, I lit into the Lt. for having them do it and he quickly told me he did not know how and was never taught. Well, when we got back to post, I had him stay with me for a couple of hours where I taught him how to do it. After that he bought me dinner to make up for it. It cost him.

My decision 1989. Buy a pair of these (couldn't afford) or buy a pair of Klipsch Chorus (couldn't afford but bought them anyway). Still have my Chorus speakers but wow what an investment it would have been if I bought the Klipschorns. Definitely would have needed a larger room/house.
klipschorn-70.jpg

My decision 1989. Buy a pair of these (couldn't afford) or buy a pair of Klipsch Chorus (couldn't afford but bought them anyway). Still have my Chorus speakers but wow what an investment it would have been if I bought the Klipschorns. Definitely would have needed a larger room/house.
klipschorn-70.jpg

In about 89, I was working for a national company about ready to open my own business... When I did I couldn't buy my next bag of groceries...🙏 Yes he did pave the way...

Good morning from ATX. Currently 52°F and cloudy. We may reach 57°F for today's high.

First, I'd like to thank you all for your words of support. It's greatly appreciated.

I'm not going to elaborate on what happened, but rather move forward. No headaches. Feeling good. Yesterday, I walked roughly two hours around our back yard, including 1-hour non-stop at a slow pace. Small victories. Really need such physical activities. Plan on walking more today. Possible limited return to work early next month, albeit remotely. Lucky -- and extremely thankful -- my situation is not worse.

Doctor appointment this afternoon. Hopefully begin treatments next week. Planning on special eats tonight after appt.

Oatmeal and walnuts taste awesome this morning. Think I'll make another bowl.

Wishing y'all a great day ahead.

National-Cheese-Lovers-Day.jpg

Good morning from ATX. Currently 52°F and cloudy. We may reach 57°F for today's high.

First, I'd like to thank you all for your words of support. It's greatly appreciated.

I'm not going to elaborate on what happened, but rather move forward. No headaches. Feeling good. Yesterday, I walked roughly two hours around our back yard, including 1-hour non-stop at a slow pace. Small victories. Really need such physical activities. Plan on walking more today. Possible limited return to work early next month, albeit remotely. Lucky -- and extremely thankful -- my situation is not worse.

Doctor appointment this afternoon. Hopefully begin treatments next week. Planning on special eats tonight after appt.

Glad you're feeling better, still praying for you!!!

Good morning D-League. Foggy and cool in the east.

Welcome back Austin. Glad you are feeling better.

RIP David Crosby. He lived a wild, and sometimes reckless life. But those early Byrds, CSN, and CSN&Y albums had some beautiful harmonies and songs that fit my sensibility as a teenager at the time, so they became a nostalgic part of my youth. I watched a good documentary on his life a couple years ago. It was pretty honest about how he managed to drive virtually everyone away with his bad behavior. While not exactly repentant, it did seem he was honest about his part in that, and looking to make amends. I hope he did before he died.

Have a good day folks.

Excellent news! Best of luck with your recovery.

RIP David Crosby. He lived a wild, and sometimes reckless life. But those early Byrds, CSN, and CSN&Y albums had some beautiful harmonies and songs that fit my sensibility as a teenager at the time, so they became a nostalgic part of my youth. I watched a good documentary on his life a couple years ago. It was pretty honest about how he managed to drive virtually everyone away with his bad behavior. While not exactly repentant, it did seem he was honest about his part in that, and looking to make amends. I hope he did before he died.

Have a good day folks.
I saw CSN in 1978 at Freedom Hall. Loved it.

Yesterdays supper... (On a dreary, wet, cold day...)

325423676_695810205466295_1621437539999149661_n.jpg

I posted this because those are supposedly wild caught gulf coast shrimp... They were edible but darn, must have been at least great grandchildren of those SC showed, I'd love to tear into some of those like Brother Sir SC showed pictures of, not jealous of them but I sure could have enjoyed them properly. 😁 ;) (That kind of fresh is nearly unimaginable as far as that size of shrimp.) Or as Bubba stated; "shrimps..."

I used to catch "shrimps" off the coast of South Carolina near Charleston some but NEVER any size like even the one pictured. They were tasty though and My Darling and I had them often as fresh as cooking them out of the ocean. Just a memorable time...

Last edited:
Good Friday Morning D

@AustinTXCat , so thankful to for the good report. our prayers continue during your treatment. You are a blessing to us all.

It is 63° on the Nature Coast as we climb to 75° by midafternoon. Partly cloudy skies and 1% chance of rain. A nice day for sure.

I really enjoyed the concert last night with Ricky Skaggs and the Kentucky Thunder. Those men can flat out play their instruments. All were on their game and entertained a packed house. Before the music started we saw a spectacular sunset off of Clearwater Beach. We have a nice one most every night but Clearwater takes it to a different level.

I trust all are well and Austin continues to improve.

suset_clearwater-beach_2014_11_1-750x516.jpg

Got my daughter moved from Memphis to Madison AL on Tuesday, she interviewed at a school on Wednesday and I'll be darned if they didn't hire her on the spot to teach 1st grade. So, she starts her new job today. Coming from teaching at an inner city school in Memphis and going to teaching at a ritzy school of the arts in Alabama is like daylight and dark. Sometimes it amazes me how much my family and I have been blessed.

Blessed GIF by Tashi Condelee

Got my daughter moved from Memphis to Madison AL on Tuesday, she interviewed at a school on Wednesday and I'll be darned if they didn't hire her on the spot to teach 1st grade. So, she starts her new job today. Coming from teaching at an inner city school in Memphis and going to teaching at a ritzy school of the arts in Alabama is like daylight and dark. Sometimes it amazes me how much my family and I have been blessed.

Blessed GIF by Tashi Condelee

Accept the blessing, go forth and do good and great things. God is with you, if you let him.

Have a good day folks.
I loved all of his versions. My favored of all the Byrds songs is "Turn, Turn, Turn" and CSN favored song is "Southern Cross".

Good morning D-Leaguers, especially @AustinTXCat. We now know what the food of the day is!

It was a crisp 32°F this morning when I got up, but no frost as we had and still have cloud cover. It has warmed up to 39° but we are only going to top out at 42°.

I mowed the back yard yesterday. Falcon IV grass grows ever time it gets over 40° and last week we top the 60 for several straight days. Plus I ground up the leaves that had blow in. I was too lazy and cold to do the front.

TGIF even after being retired for decades. It is just a good day. You all have a great one.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT