ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

171435_149414138445004_765858_o.jpg

Good Morning folks.

-Good win last night, but I still have concerns. Gotta put two halves together and start hitting more outside shots. Oscar was a monster though.
- Heading to EKY today. Looking forward to seeing how much the Mountain Parkway has improved.
- Getting darker later in the day, makes me happy.
-Have they figured out what caused the Nepal plane crash yet? Sure hope that wasn't pilot suicide.

Top of the morning to you
Morning right back at you.

It is too warm in Smiths Grove, 58°F. When it that warm in January it means a bad storm and that bad storm is predicted tonight.

I enjoyed the second half of the game last night. I am getting ready to edit it and burn a copy on Bluray.

I am waiting to get a post here from @AustinTXCat soon. I pray that he is doing good. I sure do miss him on our board.

Good morning folks. Already at my DC desk grinding away.

Cats had a nice win last night. Gotta keep up the momentum. Not making any predictions, but I note that two Kentucky teams that went to the Final Four under Cal - 2011 and 2014 - had lower moments during the regular season than this year's team and still got it together. I'm not sure this team has a ceiling like that, but there is a history of late-season surges under Cal.

You folks have a good day.

You're late huh? How's the hip doing?

It is too warm in Smiths Grove, 58°F. When it that warm in January it means a bad storm and that bad storm is predicted tonight.

I enjoyed the second half of the game last night. I am getting ready to edit it and burn a copy on Bluray.

I am waiting to get a post here from @AustinTXCat soon. I pray that he is doing good. I sure do miss him on our board.

Sir, take care, I know you will but I stated it anyway. God Bless you and yours always but during the coming possible storm as well...

You're late huh? How's the hip doing?
Thanks for asking, BBUK. The hip is progressing very well. Sometimes I have to stop and ask myself, "Which hip was replaced, right or left?" At physical therapy they taught me a way to keep my stride straight so I don't limp, something that had become a habit. You'd think that would come naturally, but I had to be shown. My wife calls me out when I slip back into that lazy stride in which I pull my right leg along. Habits are hard to break.

Last edited:
Good Morning folks.
- Heading to EKY today. Looking forward to seeing how much the Mountain Parkway has improved.
I was a UK student in the early 60's when they started building the Mountain Parkway. Bert Combs was governor.

One of my fraternity brothers had a new Austin Healey 3000 sports car and he wanted to take it out on the Kentucky back roads. My grandfather lived in Pike County so I asked if he would like to go with me for a weekend and try his new toy out on mountain roads. He agreed and so we left one Friday afternoon.

From Lexington to Rockhouse Holler was quite a drive in those days with steep mountains and dangerous curves. He was from New Jersey and had never been to Eastern Kentucky. The parkway was under construction so you would drive a few miles, then detour and pick up a few more miles. Once we got past Pikeville we had three big mountains to cross. The Mountain Parkway ended in Prestonsburg so it was very narrow roads the rest of the way.

We were doing fine until we hit the second mountain (Bent Mountain) and started up. In front of us was a coal truck and he was loaded and struggling to get to the top. He must have been going 10 mph and there was no room or space to pass. So you just had to be patient. But this boy was not patient and he started honking his horn and acting stupid. I knew he was making this coal truck driver mad and with his little English sports car that was foolish. I told him to knock it off but he kept it up. Honking louder.

When we got to the top of Bent Mountain there was a clearing for vehicles to pull over and the coal truck did. So we passed him and started down. Within a few moments that coal truck was on our rear bumper and running like a runaway freight train with his air horns blasting. I knew we were dead and the truck was going to run us over the hill and that would be our end. Especially with New Jersey plates in the middle of Pike County. Dead, dead, dead. We did make it but that truck was pushing us most of the way. And my buddy was shaking like a leaf. I told him to never pull a trick like that again with me as a passenger. You don't insult coal tricks headed downhill on Bent Mountain.

Those Healeys were nice though. I doubt we would have made it in a regular passenger car.

iu

I was a UK student in the early 60's when they started building the Mountain Parkway. Bert Combs was governor.

One of my fraternity brothers had a new Austin Healey 3000 sports car and he wanted to take it out on the Kentucky back roads. My grandfather lived in Pike County so I asked if he would like to go with me for a weekend and try his new toy out on mountain roads. He agreed and so we left one Friday afternoon.

From Lexington to Rockhouse Holler was quite a drive in those days with steep mountains and dangerous curves. He was from New Jersey and had never been to Eastern Kentucky. The parkway was under construction so you would drive a few miles, then detour and pick up a few more miles. Once we got past Pikeville we had three big mountains to cross. The Mountain Parkway ended in Prestonsburg so it was very narrow roads the rest of the way.

We were doing fine until we hit the second mountain (Bent Mountain) and started up. In front of us was a coal truck and he was loaded and struggling to get to the top. He must have been going 10 mph and there was no room or space to pass. So you just had to be patient. But this boy was not patient and he started honking his horn and acting stupid. I knew he was making this coal truck driver mad and with his little English sports car that was foolish. I told him to knock it off but he kept it up. Honking louder.

When we got to the top of Bent Mountain there was a clearing for vehicles to pull over and the coal truck did. So we passed him and started down. Within a few moments that coal truck was on our rear bumper and running like a runaway freight train with his air horns blasting. I knew we were dead and the truck was going to run us over the hill and that would be our end. Especially with New Jersey plates in the middle of Pike County. Dead, dead, dead. We did make it but that truck was pushing us most of the way. And my buddy was shaking like a leaf. I told him to never pull a trick like that again with me as a passenger. You don't insult coal tricks headed downhill on Bent Mountain.

Those Healeys were nice though. I doubt we would have made it in a regular passenger car.

iu

Sir, (After you stopped) You should have jacked his jaw. ;)

I tell the BB, Papa's gonna jack your jaw. Now he looks back at me with his type of smile and tells me, I'm gonna jack your jaw... 😍

Sir, (After you stopped) You should have jacked his jaw. ;)

I tell the BB, Papa's gonna jack your jaw. Now he looks back at me with his type of smile and tells me, I'm gonna jack your jaw... 😍
A few other things happened on that weekend back in Pike. Enough that he vowed never to return.

He got his clocked cleaned in Williamson, WV by a boy from across the river in Pike. He got a little loud and boisterous for his environment.

A few other things happened on that weekend back in Pike. Enough that he vowed never to return.

He got his clocked cleaned in Williamson, WV by a boy from across the river in Pike. He got a little loud and boisterous for his environment.

I've seen that when people get into an environment thinking they know it better and are smarter, yadda, yadda, yadda,... Best to be quiet and learn. ;)

As a lifetime Cincinnati Reds fan I was aware of the fact that Frank Robinson and Vada Pinson, my two early boyhood heroes, were from the same Oakland high school. But somehow I didn't know that Curt Flood - also originally signed by the Reds - was from the same school, and that the three played outfield together for one year, when Robinson was a senior and the others underclassmen.

Not a bad high school outfield.

(By the way, the school had a decent basketball team too, with Robinson playing along side a center named Bill Russell.)

iu

That's a great story and yes, you do not mess with coal truck drivers.

thumb_hey-grandpa-whats-for-supper-hey-grandpa-whats-for-supper-52911463.png

We are living high on the hog today, how bout some rice, with carrots, and beef, and imitation crab meat, squash, and eggs, all wrapped up in a seaweed blanket and cut to order.... All seasoned nicely to where the only time you stop is when everything is gone......

324751844_3372985646349528_2446369927284655988_n.jpg

Yum, yum...

:cool:

My wife has been on me to clean up the cable mess from all my beloved equipment. I thought I did a pretty good job over the years but evidently it hasn't passed the spouse test. Ordering more cable raceways, sleeves, ties, etc.. Big undertaking but it's a good Winter project.

Good Morning folks.

-Good win last night, but I still have concerns. Gotta put two halves together and start hitting more outside shots. Oscar was a monster though.
- Getting darker later in the day, makes me happy.
-Have they figured out what caused the Nepal plane crash yet? Sure hope that wasn't pilot suicide.
How far east did you drive on the Parkway?

iu

It's been a few years since I've made the drive, but it's pretty easy sailing from Pikeville to Belfry (and beyond) now.

My wife has been on me to clean up the cable mess from all my beloved equipment. I thought I did a pretty good job over the years but evidently it hasn't passed the spouse test. Ordering more cable raceways, sleeves, ties, etc.. Big undertaking but it's a good Winter project.
Your wife would go ape shit over mine. I would take a picture but it would be to hard to admit that I did it.

iu
One of my favorite music groups has a Austin Healey 3000 in one of their videos. It shows up around the :40 second mark.

Your wife would go ape shit over mine. I would take a picture but it would be to hard to admit that I did it.
Yeah I'll admit that some of the clutter looks like a plate of spaghetti but it's a challenge now. Unfortunately I have open-air racks so there's not much I can do unless I cover it up with pleasant scenes from, oh I don't know, Tahiti. My goal, hide it all as much as possible. One hell of a challenge given how much stuff I have.

For those of you that are so inclined, without any expectations or pressure from me mind you, I'd like to humbly request your presence in the following thread. It's really been overwhelming how many people are in need right now, and I hope you can find a little time here and there to respond to and for those in the thread who may need it-

I will do my best to check in on the thread and be of some comfort and hope to people, but I know I can't do it alone. Thanks for welcoming me here, D-League. You've all been very gracious and are much appreciated and loved

Thanks and good morning, Bert.

It's another great day to be alive.

Good morning D, read 2Timothy 2:1 this morning ATX, great to see you back here, you are on our GOD KNOWS LIST, PRAYING FOR YOU!!! Went fishing yesterday WC,we caught our limit of 8 trout, my friends wife fixed me a smoked trout Quesadilla, dang it was good!!!! I want thank some of you guys in the D for purchasing some of my stained-glass, I take pride in making projects for people, but to be ask to make a MILITARY or FIRST RESPONDERS takes it to another level for me! Bert, SC, BBUK thank you for the challenges you made to me, I just hope I meet those challenges. I think GOD gives us talents to do, but it's up to us to decide to follow through with those. I hope the D, has a great day! Prayers for the D!

Good morning D, read 2Timothy 2:1 this morning ATX, great to see you back here, you are on our GOD KNOWS LIST, PRAYING FOR YOU!!! Went fishing yesterday WC,we caught our limit of 8 trout, my friends wife fixed me a smoked trout Quesadilla, dang it was good!!!! I want thank some of you guys in the D for purchasing some of my stained-glass, I take pride in making projects for people, but to be ask to make a MILITARY or FIRST RESPONDERS takes it to another level for me! Bert, SC, BBUK thank you for the challenges you made to me, I just hope I meet those challenges. I think GOD gives us talents to do, but it's up to us to decide to follow through with those. I hope the D, has a great day! Prayers for the D!
Chomping at the bit and salivating for my first trip of the year when the weather (water temp) has the bass jumping and lets me go fishing again.

That photo is pure Florida and the lower Southern states along the coast. From Texas all the way up through South Carolina. These scenes are very common once you get out of the big cities. Live oaks with Spanish Moss are everywhere you look.

Once you get in isolated rural areas you see miles of what we call Canopy Live Oaks across the road. Unfortunately sprawl took a lot of them but there are laws now to protect them.

iu

Not as big of a fan of the band "Eagles" as I once was, but still love the Seven Bridges Road for its imagery of the south. It doesn't come near to the real thing, but it brings back good memories of it.

Cord, using your talents pleases God and your work certainly made my granddaughter very happy and over joyed. It is something she said she would keep forever.

Thank you again from the bottom of our hearts.

Good Morning D League

A pleasant 64° as we creep up to 81° this afternoon. We celebrate having @AustinTXCat back and a big welcome from all.

I just printed out my tickets to The Ricky Skaggs concert this evening. I always enjoy going to the Capital Theater in Clearwater. It has been around since 1921 and my mother and grandparents attended events there. Still going stronger than ever. Ricky always puts on a good show and his Kentucky Thunder band is one of the best out there.

I trust all are well and have a nice day. Prayers for those in need.

I was just on the subway when I witnessed an amusing drama.

Across the subway door facing me was a well-dressed man in a suit and overcoat about 40 reading something on a hand-held Kindle or whatever. This guy reeked of being some high-ranking government official in DC.

The door opens, and this filthy guy, I couldn't even tell if he was white or Hispanic or Middle Eastern he was so dirty, gets on dragging this huge cart with a broken wheel and two garbage bags packed with junk. He's got this scowl on his face that reads both angry and crazy.

So, he points at this well-dressed guy and orders him to get up out of his seat -- which the guy immediately does! Then then bum takes his seat with this mean smirk on his face.

I look into the guy's lunatic eyes as if to let him know, "you are lucky you didn't try that with me. I'd have told you to go Bleep yourself."

But then the wave of stench hits me and I realize that if the well-dressed guy had stood his ground he'd be forced to sit next to this horrible smell, just to save his pride.

I guess a wise man knows there is no point in being Clint Eastwood on the DC subway when it comes to gangs of armed teenagers or homeless bums.

I was just on the subway when I witnessed an amusing drama.

Across the subway door facing me was a well-dressed man in a suit and overcoat about 40 reading something on a hand-held Kindle or whatever. This guy reeked of being some high-ranking government official in DC.

The door opens, and this filthy guy, I couldn't even tell if he was white or Hispanic or Middle Eastern he was so dirty, gets on dragging this huge cart with a broken wheel and two garbage bags packed with junk. He's got this scowl on his face that reads both angry and crazy.

So, he points at this well-dressed guy and orders him to get up out of his seat -- which the guy immediately does! Then then bum takes his seat with this mean smirk on his face.

I look into the guy's lunatic eyes as if to let him know, "you are lucky you didn't try that with me. I'd have told you to go Bleep yourself."

But then the wave of stench hits me and I realize that if the well-dressed guy had stood his ground he'd be forced to sit next to this horrible smell, just to save his pride.

I guess a wise man knows there is no point in being Clint Eastwood on the DC subway when it comes to gangs of armed teenagers or homeless bums.
One must pick his battles wisely. All battles are not worth fighting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT