ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Just came across an interesting note on the "This Day in Baseball" FB page. I'm actually quite surprised to learn that when he was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1974, Mickey Mantle had played more games for the Yankees than any other player, including Lou Gehrig. You always think of Mantle losing significant parts of his career to injuries.

EDIT: I got curious and compared Mantle's games played stats to Wilie Mays. Both first played MLB in 1951. Through Mantle's last year of 1968 he and Mays played in a very similar number of sames over 17 seasons: Mantle 2,401 and Mays 2,446. Mays hung around for five more mostly mediocre years and ended up with 500 more games played. But through the last year either played a full season they were well matched in games played.

On January 16 1974 — The Baseball Writers Association of America elects former New York Yankees teammates Mickey Mantle and Whitey Ford to the Hall of Fame. Mantle becomes only the seventh player to make it in his first try. His 536 home runs with the Yankees rank second only to Babe Ruth, and he played in more games (2,401) than any other pinstriper, including Lou Gehrig. Ford was arguably the greatest Yankees pitcher of all time, retiring with more wins (236), innings pitched (3,171), strikeouts (1,956), and shutouts (45) than anyone in club history.
Funny, with all the great players & teams they've had, their pitchers' quality lags behind everything else imo.

Hi to all the D Leaguers.

@cordmaker a little FYI. The recipe you posted a year or so ago of the chicken breast in cream of chicken soup in the slow cooker served over noodles (love it). Tried it tonight in an Instant Pot. Doesn't work in the Insti. Soup was too thick for the sensors in the pot. Had to take out the soup and replace with broth and then heat the soup and spoon it over the breasts and noodles when I plated it. Still tasted good....but not as good as yours in the crock.

A strange brew.... but delectable. (How Ya'll?)

Great to see you OC, we fixed the soup last week also, only we had a turkey breast that needed to be cooked so I used it instead of chicken, just as good, maybe better! Don't be a stranger. Thanks for the advice about the insta-pot. Interesting insta-pot, sounds like something you would smoke if you needed to get high quick!!!!

Sir, Granny use to smoke crawdads but first she needed a little pot...

12ede7392c2886a0d1356c3bd300af8f--max-baer-jr-beverly-hillbillies.jpg

Hello all,

Started early and finishing late. I was at a doctor appointment with My Darling in between. good news...for this one, two more for her and one for me in the next ten days or so. (I can speak for My Darling in this instance when I state; We are thankful..)

The only day I will miss going into work is probably this Friday but I plan on working some..

I am sitting for a bit, I do hope you all are well. ATXC phone home or, just git home... Git-r-Done....

Last edited:
For anyone interested, Ruth was suspended for six weeks in 1921. At the time, there was a rule that world series participants were not allowed to barnstorm after the World Series. Baseball feared players would repeat the series again to make money and that would devalue the official World Series. Ruth and a couple of others broke that rule and were suspended. That was before Ruth was making big money.

For anyone interested, Ruth was suspended for six weeks in 1921. At the time, there was a rule that world series participants were not allowed to barnstorm after the World Series. Baseball feared players would repeat the series again to make money and that would devalue the official World Series. Ruth and a couple of others broke that rule and were suspended. That was before Ruth was making big money.

I sure liked the Babe Ruth story with William Bendix (I have it.), I watched the one with John Goodman and could not stomach the portrayal. Some may call Babe Ruth a lot of things. John Goodman portrayed Babe Ruth as a fat slob. Babe Ruth was far from the Goodman betrayal whether historically it was more accurate as far as the events than the Bendix movie... Just my take... Babe Ruth was NEVER a fat slob...

The below was during Babe's last season, not the beginning...

main-qimg-cf880bb6da56f8d7c7d1f62d0510a565-lq

Babe's early 40's were rough on him but this...

thebabe-screenshot-2.jpg

NEVER...

1200px-Babe_Ruth2.jpg

The below was during the final three homeruns of Babe's career...

81410543.0.jpg

To the movie portrayal...

thebabe-screenshot-2.jpg

Last edited:
Listen to me UK Cats, I plan to start watching the game but I need to hit the hay early so don't even think I am watching anything. Just go out and play like BBUK is NOT watching. (You know, like you did against UT...) The heck with the cell phones....
I will be watching.

I have not missed a game since December 1964, come hell or high wind.

"So, you calling me a liar??" (Had a friend of mine on a charter fishing trip say that to a crew member when his line kept getting all tangled up. You had to know this guy. He'd reminded you of Woodrow on Sanford and Son. This had to be twenty-five or so years ago and I still laugh when thinking about this guy.)

BBUK's home screen when he's multi-tasking. ... Just a minute or two ago... 😬 😅 😁

325766724_938586427520751_6262840281684413348_n.jpg

Anyway, I got to thinking about Babe Ruth again and thought I'd just watch it. May not watch it all now but who knows...

Go CATS!!!

Ruth played in 152 of 154 games for Yanks in 1921. 1922 (110 games) or 1925 (98 games)?

His "big money" maxed out at $80,000.

What the hell is wrong with this team? They're at Rupp GD it, play like it. Did they not learn anything from the UT game? Back to same ol' crap. Sorry but this is frustrating as hell. Better get it together in the 2nd half because another home loss to an unranked team is NOT good going forward.

Good morning, D-League!

Great to see @AustinTXCat is back at home. May God continue to bless you with healing and better health, Sir!

Just found out my friend's uncle was in the hospital down in Texas 2x in the last month. His cousin lives in Austin and his uncle lives outside of Dallas. They had him in a PT/rehab facility an hour or so south of Dallas, before his 2nd stint in the hospital. Please say some prayers for him as well.

Cats are starting to level out a bit now. I tool credit on RR for calling a possible turnaround, but my friend above is the one who called it. He doesn't post on boards anymore. He even said they'd have a rebound off the UT win with a bad game against UGA. That they pulled "it together in the 2nd half could mean their upward trajectory is higher than" he thought. (I'm still not buying that much stock yet.)

Hope yall enjoyed the game and have a great rest of your week!

"What day IS IT?! Mike,mike,mike,mike....!?"

Good Hump Day Wednesday

Temperature 52° and the sun is up. We should hit 75° this afternoon with a 2% chance of rain at the most.

Cats got back on track the second half and had a nice win at Rupp. I am headed to the gym this morning for a good cardiac workout. The coffee is hot and black and extra good and the bacon is ready. Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day.

I trust y'all have a very nice day and we are thankful @AustinTXCat is back home and continue our prayers for his complete recovery.

iu

Good morning everyone!

I made it til halftime of the game and decided watching a little TV with the wife was a better idea. It was nice to wake up and see that the Cats turned it on in the 2nd half.

I was mostly disappointed in the defensive play in the first half. I've seen what happened offensively in the second....Oscar. Can anyone elaborate on the defense during the second half? I sure would hate to go to the Rafters and ask. lol

Shopping and eating out today.

@Sawnee Cat The pretty oaks with the spanish moss is one of the things we love about FL. We usually don't even go to the beaches when we are there.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Good Hump Day Wednesday

Temperature 52° and the sun is up. We should hit 75° this afternoon with a 2% chance of rain at the most.

Cats got back on track the second half and had a nice win at Rupp. I am headed to the gym this morning for a good cardiac workout. The coffee is hot and black and extra good and the bacon is ready. Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day.

I trust y'all have a very nice day and we are thankful @AustinTXCat is back home and continue our prayers for his complete recovery.

iu

That photo reminds me of a plantation I've been to in Mt Pleasant near Charleston SC.

That photo reminds me of a plantation I've been to in Mt Pleasant near Charleston SC.
That photo is pure Florida and the lower Southern states along the coast. From Texas all the way up through South Carolina. These scenes are very common once you get out of the big cities. Live oaks with Spanish Moss are everywhere you look.

Once you get in isolated rural areas you see miles of what we call Canopy Live Oaks across the road. Unfortunately sprawl took a lot of them but there are laws now to protect them.

iu

Good morning folks. Already at my DC desk grinding away.

Cats had a nice win last night. Gotta keep up the momentum. Not making any predictions, but I note that two Kentucky teams that went to the Final Four under Cal - 2011 and 2014 - had lower moments during the regular season than this year's team and still got it together. I'm not sure this team has a ceiling like that, but there is a history of late-season surges under Cal.

You folks have a good day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT