ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Funny you mention A/C and heating. Friday night my system died just in time for freezing weather. So all weekend we have been without any heat. Fortunate for me the house is well insulated and the temperature in the house did not drop less than 65°. The outside temperature got down as low as 26° with a very strong wind. So we threw on a few blankets and roughed it.

This afternoon my A/C Heating man will come by and give me the verdict. The unit came with the house and is over 30 years old. That is not bad for a system to last, especially in the heat and humidity we have down here. It is a Lennox and was manufactured in the U.S. of A by people who cared. I am not sure I can find one to replace it that will last another 30 years. Oh well,
I say your system beat the odds easily. Our first furnace/AC system was still going at 22 years but replaced it with higher efficiency system back in the late-2000's when the Feds were handing out discounts to do so.

Gina Lollobrigida dies at age 95. She was an icon in the 50's.

1956-Gina-Lollobrigida-foto-nbc-universal.jpg
I think she helped me "experiment".

I am not lucky like you Sawnee. My house is 24 years old and the upstairs unit is the third one, the downstairs unit is the second one. The last upstairs unit cost me $7,200 last year. Both are heat pumps with natural gas back up. That is a little more expensive than the all electric setups.

Lennox is a really good brand.
I have been fortunate having good honest repair men servicing my home over the years. They take good care of me at a very good price. I use local folks who have been in the area a long time, most for generations. Another thing that has been helpful is I ask a trusted repairman who he would use if he had X go wrong. They are honest and like me want to be treated fair so I get a good recommendation that way.

I have only had one person who I had to run off my property and that was someone who wanted to trim my palm trees. He was a fly by nighter from New York and he had crook written on his face. He wanted to charge me $100 each to trim palm trees and a $500 disposal fee. I have over 30 palm trees so you can see that would add up fast. I get them trimmed for $15 and $25 a tree and no charge to haul them away. Anything over 20 ft high is $25, everything else $15.

You have to be on your guard with these boys.

As I said on the Rafters thread before it was locked when turned into a guns rights and death penalty debate:

He disproved the old saying that a team can't have too many shooters.

More seriously, Alabama moved quickly to eliminate every reference to this guy on their team site. He is from Washington DC, and there are some local stories here suggesting he was far from a good citizen before Alabama signed him.

Some programs -- Kansas, to name a prominent recent one - signs kids they know are thugs and then hopes the kids don't get caught while on campus. I got a feeling Nate Oats is that way.

For all his recent troubles I credit Calipari with signing high character guys, and passing on some talented problem kids.
When something like this happens I am at a loss for words. How stupid can a person be to dedicate hours and years perfecting a sport then throw your life away at 2:00 AM on a Sunday morning.

All the years of practice and becoming good enough to get a Div I scholarship and you throw it away in a split second? For what?

I have no idea what this is about or what caused it but nothing would excuse shooting a gun in Tuscaloosa, AL in the middle of the night when you are a basketball player and in the middle of the season. Where are the curfew rules we had to abide by coming up? And where is this players brain and thinking ability.

Disappointing morning. Went to Costco for my $44.29 1.75L Makers. It was up to $46.99. Now there's inflation for ya. Had been the lower price forever. Went to Kroger & unexpectedly it was $45.99.
It is time we start a revolution. We do not have to stand for this!

Let us create a group of "Minutemen"! o_O We can end this injustice.

The Good Lord is smiling down on this old boy. My heating / AC man just left and I am back in business with heat. He replaced a 1/2 hp multi-speed blower motor for $395.00. New motor and labor. He had one on his truck so in less than an hour he had the job finished.

Apparently in the middle of the night the 30+ year old motor burned out and fortunately for me the breaker tripped the circuit saving me from major fire damage. If it had not tripped I would have been in a heap of trouble. The wiring and coils were all burned.

This man works with his wife and she does most of the gopher work for him. She went into the attic and recovered the old one. They are good people and I am blessed. I am in no mood to replace an entire unit. I will say an extra thanks to the Lord tonight.

Last edited:
Hi to all the D Leaguers.

@cordmaker a little FYI. The recipe you posted a year or so ago of the chicken breast in cream of chicken soup in the slow cooker served over noodles (love it). Tried it tonight in an Instant Pot. Doesn't work in the Insti. Soup was too thick for the sensors in the pot. Had to take out the soup and replace with broth and then heat the soup and spoon it over the breasts and noodles when I plated it. Still tasted good....but not as good as yours in the crock.

@cordmaker a little FYI. The recipe you posted a year or so ago of the chicken breast in cream of chicken soup in the slow cooker served over noodles (love it). Tried it tonight in an Instant Pot. Doesn't work in the Insti. Soup was too thick for the sensors in the pot. Had to take out the soup and replace with broth and then heat the soup and spoon it over the breasts and noodles when I plated it. Still tasted good....but not as good as yours in the crock.
Good to see you here.

Hey stranger! Good to hear from you again. Hope all is well there in OH.

When something like this happens I am at a loss for words. How stupid can a person be to dedicate hours and years perfecting a sport then throw your life away at 2:00 AM on a Sunday morning.

All the years of practice and becoming good enough to get a Div I scholarship and you throw it away in a split second? For what?

I have no idea what this is about or what caused it but nothing would excuse shooting a gun in Tuscaloosa, AL in the middle of the night when you are a basketball player and in the middle of the season. Where are the curfew rules we had to abide by coming up? And where is this players brain and thinking ability.
Murray State starting basketball player Kenny White Jr was arrested by KY state police for DUI, pot and numerous traffic violations Sunday night. At least he didn't shoot anybody.

@cordmaker a little FYI. The recipe you posted a year or so ago of the chicken breast in cream of chicken soup in the slow cooker served over noodles (love it). Tried it tonight in an Instant Pot. Doesn't work in the Insti. Soup was too thick for the sensors in the pot. Had to take out the soup and replace with broth and then heat the soup and spoon it over the breasts and noodles when I plated it. Still taste good....but not as good as yours in the crock.
Good to see your name over here OC . Don't be a stranger

Great to see you OC, we fixed the soup last week also, only we had a turkey breast that needed to be cooked so I used it instead of chicken, just as good, maybe better! Don't be a stranger. Thanks for the advice about the insta-pot. Interesting insta-pot, sounds like something you would smoke if you needed to get high quick!!!!

Good morning D-League.

Hope you get out today Austin —I’m starting to think you are hanging around just for the food.

Interesting NFL game last night. Brady looks finished. Cowboys and 49ers will be a hell of a game. So, what does Dallas do about a kicker who misses 5 straight extra points (counting one in last game?) it’ll be interesting to see if Dallas sticks with him.

Hope you all have a good day.

Good Tuesday Morning

Our cold snap continues with a temperature of 35° . It will be sunny today and 0% chance of rain as the high reaches 71°. Very good sleeping weather

I trust all are well and a special prayer for Austin with hopes he is discharged home today. I have a lot of odds and ends to do today but nothing critical. I might go down and swap out my license tag for one of these DeSantis plates

iu

I am having difficulty adjusting to this new culture of wait, wait, wait on repair parts. I need to replace the control panel for my heat pump I use to heat the pool. The unit is working fine but I can not control the temperature so I need to replace the control panel.

I was told yesterday there is a minimum 6 month back log on this control panel and a more realistic time to wait would be 9 to 12 months. The part comes from China, of course. The unit is manufactured in the U.S. with Chinese parts.

I am getting fed up with our dependence on China for the simplest of things.

Good morning D-League.

Hope you get out today Austin —I’m starting to think you are hanging around just for the food.

Interesting NFL game last night. Brady looks finished. Cowboys and 49ers will be a hell of a game. So, what does Dallas do about a kicker who misses 5 straight extra points (counting one in last game?) it’ll be interesting to see if Dallas sticks with him.

Hope you all have a good day.
Doubt they cut him, but wow, has any kicker missed 5 straight? EVER?
Dallas played well enough to not need those points, but from here on out every point is going to be important.
Do they put a back up kicker in uniform in case his yips continues?

Doubt they cut him, but wow, has any kicker missed 5 straight? EVER?
Dallas played well enough to not need those points, but from here on out every point is going to be important.
Do they put a back up kicker in uniform in case his yips continues?
I don't THINK they will cut him, but with Jerry Jones and that organization, it would not shock me. Think of the Bengals' run last year - without McPherson nailing everything they probably don't make it out of the first round. Almost every playoff game after the first round is decided by five points or fewer and many come down to a last-possession FG attempt.

The look on that guy's face after he missed that fourth straight EP last night was heartbreaking. He looked like he'd just walked away from an IED blast.

Good morning everyone.

My wife has been sick the last few days but getting better now. I've not caught it yet. We missed church and our nieces B-day party.

Not much on tap today. It's game day you know. I sure don't like the 9 PM tipoff. It will need to be a pretty good game to watch until the end.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Good morning D Leaguers. Today is the day my daughter finally gets out of Memphis. I'm sure Madison will be much safer and her mom and I will worry much less.
It is always a good feeling when a parent can take one less worry about their children off of the table. I pray she enjoys her new home and and I know she will.

As she leaves she can sing this song in reverse.

Good morning everyone.

My wife has been sick the last few days but getting better now. I've not caught it yet. We missed church and our nieces B-day party.

Not much on tap today. It's game day you know. I sure don't like the 9 PM tipoff. It will need to be a pretty good game to watch until the end.

I hope everyone has a great day.
The new coach at Georgia is making an impact. The Cats need to get off to a good start and play ball for 40 minutes. I hope Cal uses the same lineup he used at Tennessee.

Just came across an interesting note on the "This Day in Baseball" FB page. I'm actually quite surprised to learn that when he was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1974, Mickey Mantle had played more games for the Yankees than any other player, including Lou Gehrig. You always think of Mantle losing significant parts of his career to injuries.

EDIT: I got curious and compared Mantle's games played stats to Wilie Mays. Both first played MLB in 1951. Through Mantle's last year of 1968 he and Mays played in a very similar number of sames over 17 seasons: Mantle 2,401 and Mays 2,446. Mays hung around for five more mostly mediocre years and ended up with 500 more games played. But through the last year either played a full season they were well matched in games played.

On January 16 1974 — The Baseball Writers Association of America elects former New York Yankees teammates Mickey Mantle and Whitey Ford to the Hall of Fame. Mantle becomes only the seventh player to make it in his first try. His 536 home runs with the Yankees rank second only to Babe Ruth, and he played in more games (2,401) than any other pinstriper, including Lou Gehrig. Ford was arguably the greatest Yankees pitcher of all time, retiring with more wins (236), innings pitched (3,171), strikeouts (1,956), and shutouts (45) than anyone in club history.

Last edited:
Just came across an interesting note on the "This Day in Baseball" FB page. I'm actually quite surprised to learn that when he was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1974, Mickey Mantle had played more games for the Yankees than any other player, including Lou Gehrig. You always think of Mantle losing significant parts of his career to injuries.

On January 16 1974 — The Baseball Writers Association of America elects former New York Yankees teammates Mickey Mantle and Whitey Ford to the Hall of Fame. Mantle becomes only the seventh player to make it in his first try. His 536 home runs with the Yankees rank second only to Babe Ruth, and he played in more games (2,401) than any other pinstriper, including Lou Gehrig. Ford was arguably the greatest Yankees pitcher of all time, retiring with more wins (236), innings pitched (3,171), strikeouts (1,956), and shutouts (45) than anyone in club history.
162 game schedules add games and AB's to modern players totals. Ruth missed half a season with the Yankees (may have been a suspension-can't recall). Also read a story that they x-rayed a Ruth bat from a museum. It had been corked.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT