ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Regulation, smegulation....

At least I got these.....

322868386_2438390586312341_8963233457630660129_n.jpg

๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜

Been holding off on these types of post since they tend to be sad/negative, but this last one has me thinking a lot. What am I talking about? Losing co-workers and friends and a dog to cancer. Since July of last year I have seen 6 people I used to work with or knew from the job die of cancer. All military retirees but one and all a bit younger than me except one. The older one died today. I did not even know he had it until I was told yesterday he was in hospice care and in a coma. Received a text late this afternoon of his passing. He was a retired sergeants major and my old supervisor in the Unit Movement section before I went to work for Passenger Travel at Ft Sill. He had just retired from civil service about a year after I did so, he had not been retired long.

Two others who worked with me in my last job died in October. One (a very good guy) died on Halloween. I used to sit in his office every day during breaks and we would just crack jokes and talk about anything/everything/everyone. All of this just had me in a bit of a funk this afternoon as it seems to be happening a lot lately. Don't mean to be a downer, just trying to get a handle on it.

I need a beer and a shot of scotch as I toast those gone too soon.

Last edited:
Been holding off on these types of post since they tend to be sad/negative, but this last one has me thinking a lot. What am I talking about? Losing co-workers and friends and a dog to cancer. Since July of last year I have seen 6 people I used to work with or knew from the job die of cancer. All military retirees but one and all a bit younger than me except one. The older one died today. I did not even know he had it until I was told yesterday he was in hospice care and in a coma. Received a text late this afternoon of his passing. He was a retired sergeant major and my old supervisor in the Unit Movement section before I went to work for Passenger Travel at Ft Sill. He had just retired from civil service about a year after I did so, he had not been retired long.

Two others who worked with me in my last job died in October. One (a very good guy) died on Halloween. I used to sit in his office every day during breaks and we would just crack jokes and talk about anything/everything/everyone. All of this just had me in a bit of a funk this afternoon as it seems to be happening a lot lately. Don't mean to be a downer, just trying to get a handle on it.

I need a beer and a shot of scotch as I toast those gone too soon.

God Bless you brother WC....

Difficult times for sure ..

I have been honest about betting against Kentucky on the line...all year...

But we are 11.5 point underdogs against Tennessee. First time all year...I honestly have no idea what to do...I think Tennessee is going to win, but to give them 12 points...that is a lot.

I'm leaning towards Kentucky and the points.

But we are 11.5 point underdogs against Tennessee. First time all year...I honestly have no idea what to do...I think Tennessee is going to win, but to give them 12 points...that is a lot.

Maybe since Barnes and Calipari are good friends, Barnes will show some mercy and go into the Kentucky Grind offense if he gets up 10 points.

If he does you are safe. But if they play Tennessee basketball it might be 25 or 30.

Worth the watch...

I sure enjoyed that BBUK. I am going to a Ricky Skaggs concert next Thursday night (Jan 19) at the Capital Theater in Clearwater. I saw him at the same theater last year. Great show. This video with Bill Monroe is one I can so relate to. My grandpa never made it too far out of the holler but if he had gone to New York that would have been him.

Next month Emmylou Harris comes to town. I am surprised she is still touring because she is about my age. She puts on a fantastic show.

Last edited:
Good Saturday Morning

It is a little cool at 33ยฐ with a freeze watch on over night. We will have plenty of sunshine all day and a 1% chance of rain. The high will be a blistering 48ยฐ. Something just ain't right.

Prayers this morning for @AustinTXCat and I am thankful he will be able to catch the game. It would be nice if the Cats could win this one for him against the hated Vols.

I have a few odds and ends to tie together this morning before making a big pot of Spanish Chick Pea Soup and enjoying some ball games. At least I hope I enjoy the UK game.

I trust all are well and in good spirits. We're gonna make it.

iu

Good morning D-League. I woke up a while back out of a confused dream with the words "rubber tree plant...silly old ram...hole in a dam..." running through my head. Why? Who knows. Of course, they are from the song "High Hopes" which came out before my time. I never liked the song even as a kid and always considered it rather silly. I honestly have no recollection of hearing that song in decades. Because I dreamed about it, I looked it up on Wikipedia. Do you realize that song won an Academy Award for Best Song in 1960? Yeesh. Bad year for songs.

But here's the point: It must mean something for me to dream about a song I never liked and probably hadn't heard or thought about in 30 years. I'm going to believe it means...the Cats win today!

High Hopes!

Wait...I live downriver from a dam on the Potomac. You don't think THAT'S what I'm being warned about? "Once there was a silly old ram. Thought he'd punch a hole in a dam..."

I did learn one thing about that song: It's not a good one to sing in bed around my wife before she's had her morning coffee.

Anyway, have a good day folks. Maybe I should go back to bed and try for a better dream.

Last edited:
I'm quoting an old marine sgt as some of us downed a few beers. Well, they say life is a bitch and war is hell, but combat is a real mother f@@ker.

The Serbians lost more men (apprx 75,000 IIRC) during a retreat through elevated mountain passes --- than the US total deaths in Vietnam (~ 65-68,000)

That observation comes fm a great WW1 book I read -- about 10-12 years ago ....the vietnam #s may be slightly off?

Speaking of historical wars --- what is the US war that you've always been least informed on?

(eliminating smaller conflicts like The Boxer Rebellion, French-Indian Wars, Panama, Grenada & Yugoslavia)

Mine was either the War of 1812 or the Mexican-American War

"1812" was really kind of bizarre

I sure enjoyed that BBUK. I am going to a Ricky Skaggs concert next Thursday night (Jan 19) at the Capital Theater in Clearwater. I saw him at the same theater last year. Great show. This video with Bill Monroe is one I can so relate to. My grandpa never made it too far out of the holler but if he had gone to New York that would have been him.

Next month Emmylou Harris comes to town. I am surprised she is still touring because she is about my age. She puts on a fantastic show.
Many years ago, I went to Hot Springs Ark. We saw a little show with folks we had never heard of. He was not listed as guest on the show, but halfway through, Bill Monroe came on the stage and did a couple of songs. It was a good show and Bill made it special.

Tough call considering the Cats will be down 2 starters plus their luck in Knoxville isn't the greatest.

The Serbians lost more men (apprx 75,000 IIRC) during a retreat through elevated mountain passes --- than the US total deaths in Vietnam (~ 65-68,000)

That observation comes fm a great WW1 book I read -- about 10-12 years ago ....the vietnam #s may be slightly off?

Speaking of historical wars --- what is the US war that you've always been least informed on?

(eliminating smaller conflicts like The Boxer Rebellion, French-Indian Wars, Panama, Grenada & Yugoslavia)

I'm not as big a historian as you, but you might find this interesting (or you may already know). I had to do a report on Jefferson Davis in my school days and found out the following: As a young second Lt, Davis was assigned the detail of transporting Black Hawk(the Black Hawk Wars) to federal prison. Black Hawk spoke highly of him. Also Davis was Sec of War from 1853 till 1857 and was instrumental in making major upgrades to the US army that was later to defeat him.

I would say for the younger me, and for most Americans, the answer would be the Spanish-American War and it's sequel, the Philippine Insurrection.

What most people learn in school is that the Spaniards blew up our battleship, the USS Maine, in Havana Harbor so we sent Teddy Roosevelt over there to ride up San Juan Hill and kick their asses, and as a result we got to subsidize Puerto Rico forever.

But really it was a hugely consequential event that changed forever the way Americans looked at the notion of getting entangled in a war outside our territory, and our perception of America as a Global Power willing to intercede in local struggles if we felt that was the right thing to do. Of course, our perception of what was the right thing to do has occasionally been less than complete or wise.

The little understood insurrection in the Philippines SHOULD have been studied by American policymakers as a warning against everything from Vietnam to invading Iraq in 2003.

I read about it extensively when I was in Iraq off and on in 2003-2007 because a lot of the brighter young officers were studying it like Col. H.R. Mc Master, who I met when he was leading the 3rd ACR in Tal Afar.

The war of 1812 is over looked. 2/3 of all American soldiers deaths were Kentucky folks. The second war of independence is overlooked and the history books only are concerned with the burning of DC.

I'm not as big a historian as you, but you might find this interesting (or you may already know). I had to do a report on Jefferson Davis in my school days and found out the following: As a young second Lt, Davis was assigned the detail of transporting Black Hawk(the Black Hawk Wars) to federal prison. Black Hawk spoke highly of him. Also Davis was Sec of War from 1853 till 1857 and was instrumental in making major upgrades to the US army that was later to defeat him.
He was also Zackary Taylors son in law. Zackary Taylor is my 3rd cousin. Zackary is 2nd cousin to James Madison. James Madison is my 3rd cousin also. There in one lady whose offspring (several generations) includes Zackary Taylor, James Madison, both Harrisons and John Tyler. I can't google her up today. Dang.

Jefferson Davis was a smart accomplished man. The Civil War is still taking its toll on the nation.

Maybe since Barnes and Calipari are good friends, Barnes will show some mercy and go into the Kentucky Grind offense if he gets up 10 points.

If he does you are safe. But if they play Tennessee basketball it might be 25 or 30.
I think it is going to be ugly.

He was also Zackary Taylors son in law. Zackary Taylor is my 3rd cousin. Zackary is 2nd cousin to James Madison. James Madison is my 3rd cousin also. There in one lady whose offspring (several generations) includes Zackary Taylor, James Madison, both Harrisons and John Tyler. I can't google her up today. Dang.

Jefferson Davis was a smart accomplished man. The Civil War is still taking its toll on the nation.
I included the Taylor part in my report (of course didn't know your connection). Many years ago we visited the Biloxi/Gulfport area on vacation. As I recall, Davis had a home (by then a museum) near the beach. Seems like it was damaged by a hurricane some time after our visit.

I thank him for his service to the US Army & Navy.

I included the Taylor part in my report (of course didn't know your connection). Many years ago we visited the Biloxi/Gulfport area on vacation. As I recall, Davis had a home (by then a museum) near the beach. Seems like it was damaged by a hurricane some time after our visit.
President Taylor's daughter was the first wife of Jeff Davis. She died at an early age of malaria in Mississippi.

The Jeff Davis home in Biloxi, MS, is Beauvoir and it is on a 51 acre estate facing the Gulf of Mexico. The house was built in 1852 as a vacation house. In 1877 Jeff Davis was looking for a quiet place to write his memoirs and rented a small cabin that was on the property. The property was owned by a family friend, Sarah Dorsey and she agreed to sell it to Davis in three $5,500 payments. He made one payment and she died unexpectantly from fever and in her will she left the home to Davis with a stipulation the house go to his daughter upon his death. He died in 1889, his daughter got the house then she died im 1898.

After Winnie died in 1898, her mother, Varina Davis, sold Beauvoir to the Mississippi Division of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, with the condition that it be maintained as a memorial to her husband and operated for the benefit of Confederate veterans and their widows. Therefore, the site served as a free Confederate Veterans home for soldiers and their widows from 1903 to 1957..

When Hurricane Katrina damaged it severely the Sons of Confederate Veterans, who still own it, restored it to all of its glory and even restored the Confederate Museum on the grounds. I contributed to its reconstruction and have visited it frequently since. It is a beautiful piece of property on an ideal setting to represent the Southern States.

card00431_fr.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT