ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Good morning D-League.

Like all of you I’m shocked by the poor play of the Cats. For my mental well-being I’m taking a couple steps back. I didn’t watch the game, and won’t invest any emotional energy in the team right now. Over the course of 60 years as a fan, this has happened a few times before. Call me a bandwagon fan, and that’s fine. But I just have too many other parts of life demanding my attention to be obsessively angry about a bunch of 19-21 year olds who could have barely found Kentucky on a map before being hired through NIL letting me down. And let’s face it, a step at a time, over 30 years, that’s what college basketball has become.

Hope all else is going well for you folks.
Those are powerful words and right on the money. We got to where we are in college basketball one step at a time.

There is much more to life than worrying about professional basketball played by universities. I have started watching more movies in the evening with my wife. One of my favorites is Cross Creek which is illustrated in the quote below. It is about real life and things I can relate to and look back knowing I walked down that same trail in life.

Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings was a great author.

81115341_2746271112092614_8947852006530220032_n.jpg

Those are powerful words and right on the money. We got to where we are in college basketball one step at a time.

There is much more to life than worrying about professional basketball played by universities. I have started watching more movies in the evening with my wife. One of my favorites is Cross Creek which is illustrated in the quote below. It is about real life and things I can relate to and look back knowing I walked down that same trail in life.

Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings was a great author.

81115341_2746271112092614_8947852006530220032_n.jpg
She is a lovely writer Sawnee. I love that quote. Change a few words and it describes the way I feel every time I get out of my SUV after leaving the DC suburbs and walk up the cracked concrete steps to the porch with the big swing at the house where I grew up.

She is a lovely writer Sawnee. I love that quote. Change a few words and it describes the way I feel every time I get out of my SUV after leaving the DC suburbs and walk up the cracked concrete steps to the porch with the big swing at the house where I grew up.
She was required writing when I was going to school. Much like Jesse Stuart in her style of writing , her stories were based on real life experiences with the "names changed to protect the innocent". Her book The Yearling was based on a real life story of a youngster who has a deer for a "pet" and the trouble and sorrow it brings to a small community. It is a tragic story that was based on a real life event in Cross Creek. We read this in elementary school.

Good morning D-League.

Like all of you I’m shocked by the poor play of the Cats. For my mental well-being I’m taking a couple steps back. I didn’t watch the game, and won’t invest any emotional energy in the team right now. Over the course of 60 years as a fan, this has happened a few times before. Call me a bandwagon fan, and that’s fine. But I just have too many other parts of life demanding my attention to be obsessively angry about a bunch of 19-21 year olds who could have barely found Kentucky on a map before being hired through NIL letting me down. And let’s face it, a step at a time, over 30 years, that’s what college basketball has become.

Hope all else is going well for you folks.
No one here is a bandwagon fan imo. Most are frustrated and like you want to take a step back and look for the good things in life right now. For me, stepping back keeps the stress level much lower. I have very little expectations for this team so I will expect nothing until they can show a level of winning consistency vs mid to top tier teams.

Hey D League,
It's been quite a long time since I've been on here. I hope everyone is still doing well or at least maintaining. Life can be stressful at times and I'm no exception lately. After watching some of that dumpster fire of a basketball game last night and reading through the comments and post-game festivities, I sure can relate to a lot of UK fans that have seen our program "circling the drain" and witnessing a completely different brand of UK basketball than we're accustomed to.

I was up in Lexington last week for a couple of days, but had to leave early and head back south before that arctic blast hit and froze up the roads. Driving around town to some of the familiar spots sure was fun and nostalgic, but, wow, Lexington has changed a lot in many ways. I hardly recognized the UK campus with all the new buildings and such. And the traffic around town!! Seems like the road system isn't able to keep up with the growth.

Anyway, here's to a happy new year.......

She was required writing when I was going to school. Much like Jesse Stuart in her style of writing , her stories were based on real life experiences with the "names changed to protect the innocent". Her book The Yearling was based on a real life story of a youngster who has a deer for a "pet" and the trouble and sorrow it brings to a small community. It is a tragic story that was based on a real life event in Cross Creek. We read this in elementary school.
Good comparison with Jesse Stuart. Believe it or not, I was going to mention him too but wasn't sure how many people -- even Kentuckians -- still were introduced to "The Thread That Runs So True" in school. Loved that book. My parents used to have that long poem Stuart wrote, "Kentucky is My Land" up on the wall at home.

Good comparison with Jesse Stuart. Believe it or not, I was going to mention him too but wasn't sure how many people -- even Kentuckians -- still were introduced to "The Thread That Runs So True" in school. Loved that book. My parents used to have that long poem Stuart wrote, "Kentucky is My Land" up on the wall at home.
As in the words of Patrick Smith "A Sense Of Place". Jesse Stuart had that Sense of Place. He could get to the soul of a Kentuckians like few others. Patrick Smith wrote a fantastic book "A Land Remembered" and a great DVD explained it as a Sense of Place. This is Americana that is disappearing right before our eyes. Things have changed so much a "Sense of Place" is fading fast away.

Last edited:
The last lines of Jesse Stuart's long poem "Kentucky is My Land"

And for the soil of Kentucky,
That is filled with bluegrass beauty
That is not akin to poetry .. But is poetry...
And when I go beyond the border,
I take with me growth and beauty of the seasons,
The music of wind in pine and cedar tops,
The wordless songs of snow-melted water
When it pours over the rocks to wake the spring.
I take with me Kentucky embedded in my brain and heart,
In my flesh and bone and blood
Since I am of Kentucky
And Kentucky is part of me.

The last lines of Jesse Stuart's long poem "Kentucky is My Land"

And for the soil of Kentucky,
That is filled with bluegrass beauty
That is not akin to poetry .. But is poetry...

And when I go beyond the border,
I take with me growth and beauty of the seasons,
The music of wind in pine and cedar tops,
The wordless songs of snow-melted water
When it pours over the rocks to wake the spring.
I take with me Kentucky embedded in my brain and heart,
In my flesh and bone and blood
Since I am of Kentucky
And Kentucky is part of me.
My father lived this. Kentucky was his soul and spirit. He was so proud to be called a Kentuckian. We need more Jesse Stuart's in this world.

On to a day in the life of one waiting on ups.....

The UPS driver pulled up in front of my house yesterday and for at least five minutes and really more I heard him in his truck rummaging around. Finally he came out and told me he had too many packages in his truck and he could not find mine. (My Darlings iPhone 14 plus...). Anyway, he told me he would be back later...

Three different calls to T-Mobile with ups then brought on the line promising delivery before 9pm. Of course this delivery needs a signature...

At 9:06pm another three-way call with ups telling me this is expected, they are running late and it could be 10 or 10:30 or later...10:47 and another call...to no avail...

Just got of another 20 minute call 12-4....

Yeah, in all of this I am watching the game until I quit watching it....

Now to write that poem...

Ode to BBUK, and BBUK finally threw a ups worker off the Tallahatchie bridge....and hit the T-Mobile representative...

I am in a good mood....I could fall out of a plane without a chute and I would kiss the ground and know it...(Yes, I know it for a fact.)

Quirks like this are nothing in the grand scheme of life but I could do without them....

just wanted to add to the drama and anxiety...😁😭🫣😕

Morning folks. It is cloudy and 57°F and it is supposed to stay at that temp for most of the day. There is no snow left.

On basketball. They say that Cal makes $8 million a year. If that is true it would mean he gets $200,000 per game if he gets to the third game of the SEC tourney and gets to the NCAA title game (40 games). Last year he coached 33 games so he made $242,000 a game. If he does not make the NCAA and loses the first SEC game he will make $250,000 a game. In my book he is not earning his keep.

We were supposed to have talent and experience this year. So far it has not paid off at all. I have not given up hope yet, but I don't see a lot of potential with this team unless something big happens.

On watching the games, I can't pass on watching them. The last game that I did not watch, attend or get on radio was in December 1965. I have too much invested in my string to stop now now matter how distasteful it may be. On top of that I started video taping them in December 1979 and have the majority of the games on tape, dvd or bluray. I know it is stupid but that is what I do.

In my basketball world I have never been as disappointed as the last two Cal led teams. Last year I though was the low, but maybe this year may be worse. At the least in the Gillispie years UK played fun basketball when he may have been too drunk to actually coach.

We are bombing out with a bunch of talent.

Morning folks. It is cloudy and 57°F and it is supposed to stay at that temp for most of the day. There is no snow left.

On basketball. They say that Cal makes $8 million a year. If that is true it would mean he gets $200,000 per game if he gets to the third game of the SEC tourney and gets to the NCAA title game (40 games). Last year he coached 33 games so he made $242,000 a game. If he does not make the NCAA and loses the first SEC game he will make $250,000 a game. In my book he is not earning his keep.

We were supposed to have talent and experience this year. So far it has not paid off at all. I have not given up hope yet, but I don't see a lot of potential with this team unless something big happens.

On watching the games, I can't pass on watching them. The last game that I did not watch, attend or get on radio was in December 1965. I have too much invested in my string to stop now now matter how distasteful it may be. On top of that I started video taping them in December 1979 and have the majority of the games on tape, dvd or bluray. I know it is stupid but that is what I do.

In my basketball world I have never been as disappointed as the last two Cal led teams. Last year I though was the low, but maybe this year may be worse. At the least in the Gillispie years UK played fun basketball when he may have been too drunk to actually coach.

We are bombing out with a bunch of talent.
Very sad Bert. It is tough.

"Ain't" got the sense God gave a goose...

(Just read what I posted...)

Have to admit though, I wouldn't be boring...😆😅😭
"Boring". Every time I hear that word, I think of my daughter who is now an adult with children of her own. When she was little and things got to quiet, she'd say, "Daddy, I'm boring", instead of "I'm bored."

One other thought: She'd get mad at her mom, and I'd act like I was going to pick up the refrigerator and throw it at her mom and she'd start laughing and the mad would be over.

This may be bs as I have zero inside info, but I read on another board from a poster who has had good info in the past that Joe Craft is no longer a Cal supporter.
Is this the Joe Craft whose wife may run for Governor of Kentucky? If he bought out Calipari I would move to Kentucky and vote for her for governor. I am that desperate.

How's it going fellas. Just taking a minute to drop by.
Nothing good to be said about last nights game, team & coach.
Somethings gotta give...doesn't it?
Anyhoo, Happy New Year. You made it through another one Bert! I will tip a glass in your honor.
Same to you; you long legged dude!

Happy New Year @OldEvilleCat.

Where's Ole awf? @awf (You "ain't" that busy.) Pigeons don't race in Sub-Zero weather.........

Do they?😁
No sir, we don't race this time of year. ........I have rabbits that I am raising...................ducks to butcher.........I have in the last 14 months basically built a 8' x 44' racing loft for my birds. It takes a few hours a day to take care of my animals..........unless the weather is below freezing.......then I make several trips a day back there to give them water........there is also much to do on the lofts before Valentines Day........and not many favorable days to work outside probably........then in my spare time I am pouring over pedigrees.........planning for the upcoming breeding season........I have entered six birds in some money races.........got to time them just right for those races.......the last two days have been spent making home made keilbasa and bangers............I try to get on here and read the last page...........I know.....inexcuseable.......I had a POS HP all in one and it was junk.....so I kind of got away from being on it so much.......I just got another Dell touch screen..........and there seems to be a very disgruntled fan base......just a reflection of today's what have you done for me today society..........I have given up on sports........other than the sport of pigeon racing and I don't really keep up with that beyond what is happening in my local club........

Great movie to watch on New Years. Shirley was really hot too.

No sir, we don't race this time of year. ........I have rabbits that I am raising...................ducks to butcher.........I have in the last 14 months basically built a 8' x 44' racing loft for my birds. It takes a few hours a day to take care of my animals..........unless the weather is below freezing.......then I make several trips a day back there to give them water........there is also much to do on the lofts before Valentines Day........and not many favorable days to work outside probably........then in my spare time I am pouring over pedigrees.........planning for the upcoming breeding season........I have entered six birds in some money races.........got to time them just right for those races.......the last two days have been spent making home made keilbasa and bangers............I try to get on here and read the last page...........I know.....inexcuseable.......I had a POS HP all in one and it was junk.....so I kind of got away from being on it so much.......I just got another Dell touch screen..........and there seems to be a very disgruntled fan base......just a reflection of today's what have you done for me today society..........I have given up on sports........other than the sport of pigeon racing and I don't really keep up with that beyond what is happening in my local club........

Bird brain....

😁😁😁😁😁

Ali-Norton 2, interview/ weigh-in with Johnny Carson...

I was not able to see every fight that Ali had but I think I was able to see Ali's fight against Terrell forward. Anyone can say whatever they want about Ali but he never ran away. He faced whatever he did. One United States President cannot say that.

I was in an insurance class with Ali's mother-in-law. She gave me his address. A regret I have is, I did not write him. His mother-in-law told me he'd answer.

To show what type character Ali had, this was after Ken Norton broke Ali's jaw. Just before their second fight...

(I boxed some in my younger days, had my nose broke four times to prove it. ;), not sure I could converse with anyone that broke my jaw... Just me I guess... I know they made some good dough on Carson.) (My ignorance for fighting black guys with ten inch reach advantages. I got my licks in too though...What teenagers will do...)

Last edited:
Good morning D-League.

The great Canadian songwriter Ian Tyson has died. I've loved his music since I was a little kid. I especially associate his music with the days I was a late-teenager off on my own for the first time working pipeline jobs out west. He seemed to capture the lonesome feeling of that life.

Here's one of his classics, below. I was about to make some New Year's resolutions when I saw he'd died. And one of the prefect lines from this song popped into my head: "All these things that won't change, come what may..." I'm not saying don't make resolutions, but there are all these things that won't change, whatever we do. We've just got to figure out how to live with them with grace.

Have a great day folks.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT