ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Two good reasons to listen... "Why'd you come in here looking like that...?"

I will stop with this one. It is a show stopper......

MERRY CHRISTMAS D-League.....................

(Grandma didn't really get run over by a reindeer...) ;)

You all mean the world to me...

If wary of facebook try Youtube....

Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer...

Great hearing from you @starchief5 and @catfaninsc .

Meanwhile, $94.43 for 6 months walking around. Cashed in today rather than next June because interest rates are so good.

321945009_1295247804630818_5637926036607322301_n.jpg

Merry Christmas
Buy a good fruit cake and send it to me. I actually like fruit cake. Bought one of those fruit cake strips they have at Walmart today to try it. Not bad. Told my wife if there are any left over after Christmas I will buy some more.

@MdWIldcat55

I got a pre Christmas gift tonight
Tickets to a Emmylou Harris concert in Clearwater this February
It was a stocking stuffer gift and the ultimate gift for me. I am in heaven 😍
Wow!! That’s the Red Ryder BB gun of Christmas presents, 2022. Happy for you Sawnee. I’m certain she still puts on a fantastic show.

Buy a good fruit cake and send it to me. I actually like fruit cake. Bought one of those fruit cake strips they have at Walmart today to try it. Not bad. Told my wife if there are any left over after Christmas I will buy some more.
Fruitcake sucks. But if you'll pay postage, I'll buy

Fruitcake sucks. But if you'll pay postage, I'll buy
No, I was just having a little fun. I love fruit cakes though. But I don't see as many in stores as there used to be. I believe most are like you in that they don't like them. One good thing about them is that they last a long time in the old containers if not opened.

Last edited:
No, I was just having a little fun. I love fruit cakes though. But I don't see as many in stores as there used to be. I believe most are like you in that they don't like them. One good think about them is that they last a long time in the old containers if not opened.
I knew you were. No biggie. Actually some fruit cake ain't bad when I'm hungry.

Merry Christmas From The Deep Freeze Southland

27° at our place with a high this afternoon of 47°. Coffee is good and breakfast is a fryin' on the cook stove. Life is good.

Our tradition is to open a stuffing stocking we hang on the mantle on Christmas Eve after church services and then our gifts under the tree on Christmas morning. I have no idea what I will, may or may not get today but last night's "gift" was as good as a man could ask for who needs nothing in this world. Tickets to Emmylou Harris concert at Ruth Eckerd Hall in Clearwater. Boy howdy. I am blessed

I trust all have a Merry Christmas and the Lord takes a liking to you.

Last edited:
I like it too and it is one of my traditions. A nice slice of fruit cake with eggnog spiked with KY bourbon is a holiday tradition. Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. My daddy would always go to the A&P store and pickout a nice Jane Parker fruit cake and it was not Christmas without one. I can't recall not having one at Christmas.

The A&P stores are long gone and with them Jane Parker cakes so in recent years we get the Claxton fruit cakes out of Georgia or Collins Street fruit cakes out of Texas. Both are fantastic with an edge to Texas. But you can still order Jane Parker fruit cakes and I ordered one for this year. A hot black cup of coffee with a big slice of Jane Parker fruit case is a bit of nostalgia. Sweet memories.

I read an artcle recently that fruit cakes are mostly a Southern thing in America and in other regions they are ridiculed and looked down on. "Nutty as a fruitcake". I guess that may be so but I would not think of a Christmas without one. It would be like Christmas without a Christmas tree, some things never grow out of date and old to me.

This is a Jane Parker. You can order them by mail and they come in an attractive tin.

81-wxZ2wXDL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Merry Christmas everyone.

@Sawnee...Little Drummer Boy is my favorite Christmas song. Most of my favorites are ones I liked playing while in band during HS. I'll give that one a listen as soon as my wife wakes up.

Driving to parents this morning. 3 1/2 hour drive and return tonight.

Hope everyone has a great and safe day.

Merry Christmas everyone.

@Sawnee...Little Drummer Boy is my favorite Christmas song. Most of my favorites are ones I liked playing while in band during HS. I'll give that one a listen as soon as my wife wakes up.

Driving to parents this morning. 3 1/2 hour drive and return tonight.

Hope everyone has a great and safe day.
Merry Christmas storm, she does a fantastic job on this version and the instrumentation is great. Especially the guitar.

Have a nice and safe day on your trip to see your parents.

No, I was just having a little fun. I love fruit cakes though. But I don't see as many in stores as there used to be. I believe most are like you in that they don't like them. One good thing about them is that they last a long time in the old containers if not opened.
I like good frutcake too. i bought a claxton brand at kroger last year. not bad but i’ve had better. they’re getting hard to find nowadays.
I downloaded this recipe years ago when emeril lagasse made it on his show on the cooking channel but i never got around to making it. looked really good: https://www.cookingchanneltv.com/re...ristmas-fruitcakes-with-whiskey-sauce-3644501

Merry Christmas folks. Sitting here missing the days when little kids got us up at 5am and freaked out with joy at Santa’s bounty.

Now my early-20-something’s are well sacked in for a while yet.

It’ll be a great day here. My FIL who is actually a talented chef makes beef tenderloin as a main dish that melts in your mouth. And lots of good side dishes. And I’m looking forward to that Calumet bourbon a little later.

Hope you all have a great day.

I like good frutcake too. i bought a claxton brand at kroger last year. not bad but i’ve had better. they’re getting hard to find nowadays.
I downloaded this recipe years ago when emeril lagasse made it on his show on the cooking channel but i never got around to making it. looked really good: https://www.cookingchanneltv.com/re...ristmas-fruitcakes-with-whiskey-sauce-3644501
My grandson is getting into cooking now that he has his own apartment. So I gave him my autographed Emeril Lagasse cook book Emeril gave me while working Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans. His restaurant did not get much damage from the hurricane but looters broke into his restaurant and took every drop of his liquor. They must have had a large truck to haul it away. He had a massive stock of booze.

I attempted to make a fruit cake years ago and failed miserably. One of my aunts made a pretty good one but she was the only one in the family that even tried. So we just bought one. In today's world my favorite is Collins Street Bakery out of Texas. I order them on line and they arrive in a nice tin and are as good as it gets. They have been doing in since 1896, I love pecans and pineapple. LOL

101-regular-deluxe-tin-top-on-overhead-1000x1000_2__1.jpg

Good morning my all,

Fruitcakes I can take or leave. I will and have eat my share...

Dinner is cooking, eating around noon. Baby back ribs and a beef roast. My youngest works tonight. Sitting a bit and sprucing up some more before my two daughters get here.

Have a great day....

Some of you guys post music stuff. When I was a kid, dad liked Hank Williams Sr, so if I heard music, Hank was probably it. He wrote some of his songs fishing on Ky Lake, so he had a little Ky connection. Anyhow, some music historians say his 1947 Move It On Over was the first Rock and Roll song. Other say Rock Around The Clock, but it resembles Hank's song.

Food is ready....My Darling burned her wrist and arm with hot broth from the roast. Okay though. Had some steroid creme and some 100% aloe vera...

Thankful it was not worse... I hear a car door... God Bless ALL the D-League people's.., I hope Don is okay....

Merry Christmas 🎄,⛪In Jesus' name...

Merry Christmas, everyone. Crazy last two days.
All’s well that ends well - I suppose.

We should learn our lesson and not leave the country, particularly around these holidays. But we won’t stop as long as DS’s family can only all get together at this time and we won’t miss the chance being with them for as long as we remain healthy. And they want warm and sunny.

So they picked Grand Cayman. We got mid-80’s, enough sun to get totally burned if you wanted, and low humidity. Perfect. Nice place but beaches are so-so. Expensive as can be for food and gas (Can't take it with us, can we?). Great tour of snorkeling, holding stingrays, and starfish hunting. Vieques much better in that regard.

Anyway, intended to fly all the way home Friday Dec. 23. Should know better, but had United connection thru Newark - DDIL picked that for best price & times. So we get to Newark perfectly on time at 6:20p. Then pilot says gate blocked by mechanical problem on plane at our gate. After 3+ hours moving around tarmac, we got to unload. Meanwhile our Cincy flight had departed at 8:15. So they put us in a re-booking line along with many others. After an hour, DIL went looking for a rental van for the 6 of us while we continued in line. Just before midnight into Dec 24, a) we got rebooked splitting us 3/3 between tonight & tomorrow morning & b) DIL procured a minivan.

We took the van option. I presumed we'd find a hotel & leave in the morning of Dec. 24. Bitterly cold & windy - like KY. But nope, son & DIL said we were leaving immediately and drive the thru the night - 10 hours in good conditions. I would never do that today & doubt I would have at their 40's ages. But off we went.

About 4:30a we were low on gas in middle of nowhere off PA Turnpike & stopped. Most of the station's pumps were frozen (-10 degrees). Finally found one that worked and started pumping - gas came out slowly. After 7-8 gallons, shut off because tanks empty. Holy crapola! I call it the Miracle of Gasoline that we got what we did. Don't know what would have happened w/o any. From there it was blowing snow & patches of ice to Cincy. Took 13 hours. I was surprised we made it that fast. Kids did a good job driving - how I don't know. I'm not exaggerating that we saw over a hundred cars that had slid off the road, some fresh.

Of course everyone was totally shot. Feel good today though.

That's my story & I'm sticking to it.

Last edited:
I posted the Hank Williams video earlier. I was probably 4 or 5 years old and there was a small rural grocery store a couple of miles down the road. They gave credit, so that was where we shopped. Sometimes I would go in with dad and he'd let me get a small bottle of coca cola for six cents. They always had country music on the radio and often it was Hank. The owners son was there sometimes. He was the local basketball star and though he never played an NBA game, he was drafted by the Detroit Pistons. At 7 foot tall, he was a giant to a 4 year old.

Some of you guys post music stuff. When I was a kid, dad liked Hank Williams Sr, so if I heard music, Hank was probably it. He wrote some of his songs fishing on Ky Lake, so he had a little Ky connection. Anyhow, some music historians say his 1947 Move It On Over was the first Rock and Roll song. Other say Rock Around The Clock, but it resembles Hank's song.

That is how I grew up. My daddy and all of my WWII uncles were Hank Williams fans and played his music often. Hank and church music are my earliest memories of music.

One of my fondest memories of Hank Williams was when my uncle pulled up in his 51 Ford convertible and said hop in, let's go to the beach. He was playing a new Hank, Sr record on the radio "Hey Good Lookin" . My uncle was a WWII Navy vet and was wild and free. He was over 40 when he married. No woman could tie him down. I bet if we could line up the beer drunk by that generation when they listened to Hank, Sr it would float a battleship. Honky tonks and Hank's music were everywhere in those days.

That is how I grew up. My daddy and all of my WWII uncles were Hank Williams fans and played his music often. Hank and church music are my earliest memories of music.

One of my fondest memories of Hank Williams was when my uncle pulled up in his 51 Ford convertible and said hop in, let's go to the beach. He was playing a new Hank, Sr record on the radio "Hey Good Lookin" . My uncle was a WWII Navy vet and was wild and free. He was over 40 when he married. No woman could tie him down. I bet if we could line up the beer drunk by that generation when they listened to Hank, Sr it would float a battleship. Honky tonks and Hank's music were everywhere in those days.
Talking about honky tonks, I barely recall the old road houses you would see here and there. They sounded exciting to a kid.

Whew, settled down a wee bit....

You haven't "lived" till you partied in da hood....Stevie Wonder, Jimi Hendrix .....

Have to admit though, I also listened to Hank Sr and still do... Hank Jr has had great music as well but the man went ignorant with his music just driving trash for a good bit calling it rock or whatever...

Give me Merle, George, and many others. I am thankful for their music.

Last edited:
That Odin?
We had Jane Parker fruitcakes purchased at A&P.
My grandson is getting into cooking now that he has his own apartment. So I gave him my autographed Emeril Lagasse cook book Emeril gave me while working Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans. His restaurant did not get much damage from the hurricane but looters broke into his restaurant and took every drop of his liquor. They must have had a large truck to haul it away. He had a massive stock of booze.

I attempted to make a fruit cake years ago and failed miserably. One of my aunts made a pretty good one but she was the only one in the family that even tried. So we just bought one. In today's world my favorite is Collins Street Bakery out of Texas. I order them on line and they arrive in a nice tin and are as good as it gets. They have been doing in since 1896, I love pecans and pineapple. LOL

101-regular-deluxe-tin-top-on-overhead-1000x1000_2__1.jpg
Thank you for sourcing

My Dad walked around singing Hank songs. This was a favorite.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT