ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Winter Storm Elliott? I had no idea they were naming winter storms now. And we are already up to the letter E. The bomb cyclone term is a new one for me too.

Each day I realize the world has passed me by. The dictionary is changing words and the meaning of words and I am stuck in the dark ages.
I don't think the world has passed us by, I just think it's us not willing to accept the stupidity being offered nowadays. Like Webster's Dictionary changing the definition of a woman to appease a few people.

I don't think the world has passed us by, I just think it's us not willing to accept the stupidity being offered nowadays. Like Webster's Dictionary changing the definition of a woman to appease a few people.

That kind of thinking I HOPE passes us by.... Just STUPID what is happening......

Someone PLEASE, PLEASE tell whatever this "Leadership" thinks they are, and what they are passing off as "LEADERSHIP" ...... that they ARE **********NAKED**********

"Out of the mouths of babes..."

Wow. Interesting. Im not sure what your company was doing, but I certainly saw my share of contractor and FEMA abuses in places like New Orleans after Katrina -- and the granddaddy of them all, Baghdad, 2003 when the idea was still that a bunch of American companies were going to come in and turn the palce into a functioning capital city in a few months. The taxpayers of this country would weep to know a fraction of what goes on. I did some reporting on it, but news accounts never have the impact you hope.
September 1989 Hugo hit and I was working for a very large commercial insurance company, CIGNA P&C with HO in Philadelphia. They insured almost every commercial and residential insurance policy on St Croix. Including a huge refinery HESS Oil. The amount of damage was catastrophic to put it mildly. 100% of every structure on the island had some damage. 75% had their roof damaged and 50% were total losses.

The only thing that kept the Company from going bankrupt was the Re-Insurance policies, mostly Swiss banks and some Lloyds of London.

To handle such an incident the company had to bring in International Claims Adjusters from all over the world. I was on the International and Domestic Catastrophe team so I got the call. Men and women came from Europe, South America, South Korea, Australia, the South Pacific. You name it. They all had a different work ethic and culture.

When I arrived a small spot had been cleared at the St Croix airport to land planes. As we landed you could see small planes in trees, on the beaches, in the water and debris everywhere. Not a single leaf remained on any tree and not a single bird was on the island. Food was flown in for us to eat, it reminded me of war time rations you would get during WWII. We had daily flights to San Juan to pick up supplies.

But what happened after all of this was eye opening to me. The agent who wrote the business had an office in San Juan, PR and St Thomas, VI. He had cut deals with contractors and was getting a "Biden Kickback" on all estimates and repair costs. It totaled in the millions and was hidden away in secret accounts. Everything under the table and hidden in the repair estimates prepared by his contractors.

The rooms at the Buccaneer were billed to CIGNA but the most outlandish was the "open bar". Alcohol, all you could drink was available for the asking. It was party time from early evening to early in the AM, every night. And these international guys could drink and they did. Especially the Europeans . One German and another man from Ireland must have set records.

I was the ranking employee on the Cat Team from the States and knew all of the Big Brass at HO. I got a call one day from the Director asking me about a $900,000 bill he had received. it later grew to $975,000 I had no idea what he was talking about. He told me to meet with the management of the hotel and find out what was going on. When I sat down the hotel manager wanted me to sign for it and I refused. There was no way I was putting my signature on anything with the Buccaneer.

After things settled down, an investigation started, criminal charges were made and several people went to prison. This was a private company and government employee protection did not apply. They went to jail.

Last edited:
September 1989 Hugo hit and I was working for a very large commercial insurance company, CIGNA P&C with HO in Philadelphia. They insured almost every commercial and residential insurance policy on St Croix. Including a huge refinery HESS Oil. The amount of damage was catastrophic to put it mildly. 100% of every structure on the island had some damage. 75% had their roof damaged and 50% were total losses.

The only thing that kept the Company from going bankrupt was the Re-Insurance policies, mostly Swiss banks and some Lloyds of London.

To handle such an incident the company had to bring in International Claims Adjusters from all over the world. I was on the International and Domestic Catastrophe team so I got the call. Men and women came from Europe, South America, South Korea, Australia, the South Pacific. You name it. They all had a different work ethic and culture.

When I arrived a small spot had been cleared at the St Croix airport to land planes. As we landed you could see small planes in trees, on the beaches, in the water and debris everywhere. Not a single leaf remained on any tree and not a single bird was on the island. Food was flown in for us to eat, it reminded me of war time rations you would get during WWII. We had daily flights to San Juan to pick up supplies.

But what happened after all of this was eye opening to me. The agent who wrote the business had an office in San Juan, PR and St Thomas, VI. He had cut deals with contractors and was getting a "Biden Kickback" on all estimates and repair costs. It totaled in the millions and was hidden away in secret accounts. Everything under the table and hidden in the repair estimates prepared by his contractors.

The rooms at the Buccaneer were billed to CIGNA but the most outlandish was the "open bar". Alcohol, all you could drink was available for the asking. It was party time from early evening to early in the AM, every night. And these international guys could drink and they did. Especially the Europeans . One German and another man from Ireland must have set records.

I was the ranking employee on the Cat Team from the States and knew all of the Big Brass at HO. I got a call one day from the Director asking me about a $900,000 bill he had received. it later grew to $975,000 I had no idea what he was talking about. He told me to meet with the management of the hotel and find out what was going on. When I sat down the hotel manager wanted me to sign for it and I refused. There was no way I was putting my signature on anything with the Buccaneer.

After things settled down, an investigation started, criminal charges were made and several people went to prison. This was a private company and government employee protection did not apply. They went to jail.

Sir, how horrible... I go back to the simplicity I try to live. All a man has is his word. I'd hate to be an embarrassment to my family. What could easily kill me would be someone to come up to me while my family was their and either cuss me for something I had done wrong or in some way cheated them. (Lies wouldn't hurt me.) Not touting at all but that is what drives how I live. My trust is in the Lord. I live simply by just doing what I say I will do. Nothing less...

I sure wish this country could get back to the basics. That is the only way this country will survive.... I knew many with the same philosophy. Now, not so much.... too much is made complicated on purpose...

I stepped down off it... Hopefully I will be able to type later.. Leaving for My Darlings doctor appointment...

Update on the weather is 8° now with winds 30-40mph making the feel of -12°.
320802697_687036699476507_354880971488319_n.jpg

Didn't know there was such a thing as a bomb cyclone:

That low that formed the over gulf of Alaska came ashore through Californy causing the thunder snow sucked in some heavy cold stuff from canada . . . extend this to the Gulf of Mexico and it will . . . a continental scale storm event. Boom!

Happy Solstice
santa-odin-comparison_1024x1024.jpg

Could this explain raindeer on the roof or gifts (food) down the chimney during severe solstice winter weather?
the-eiriksstadir-viking-longhouse-is-an-interesting-historical-attraction-in-west-iceland.jpg

Last edited:
We are at 9 degrees and snowing heavily!!! Went from 45 at 5 to now!!!!
I am watching the Armed Forces Bowl being played in Ft Worth, TX and it may be the coldest bowl game on record. It is about 10° and the wind is brisk. It has made kicking difficult especially in that cold. There is no snow.

Our weather here is 65° and it will be in the 60's all night. It feels cold to me.

It's a nipple splittin 3° here in Lexington as I head back to my little holler. Had to check on some property, and it's a good thing I did. Had contractors replacing some stuff at one and I found 2 windows open. Can't imagine what the heating bill will be...

It's my fault, too. Not theirs. God was telling me I left em open but I forgot which ones I opened... Worth the drive up there to check, anyway. Stay warm, D-League! May the Father bless you with continuous power and ample heat!

Good morning folks. Rainy and windy here. I’m content to watch it through the window. Going down from about 45f to 10f in a matter of hours. Outside chance - pretty slim -well get enough snow mixed in for a white Christmas but not counting on it.

While many of us slept the Bengals clinched a playoff berth with the Jets loss. For those of us who have lived through so many years of being eliminated by about Halloween this is nothing to take for granted.

Hope it’s a good day for all.

Good Friday Morning D

63° at this moment and it may end up being our high. Warnings are out for a hard freeze coming our way. We have partly cloudy skies and rain chances this morning are 39%. It will be sunny this afternoon as temperatures fall to near freezing. Overnight it may get down to 27° around 5:00 AM. If it stays below freezing for four hours I am in big trouble. I am going to take a chance and not cover the plants and the trees are too tall to worry about. I might lose that avocado and my tangerine tree may be in trouble too .

I can relate. Almost

319902688_1218858835680948_984049156466503619_n.jpg

Good Friday Morning D

63° at this moment and it may end up being our high. Warnings are out for a hard freeze coming our way. We have partly cloudy skies and rain chances this morning are 39%. It will be sunny this afternoon as temperatures fall to near freezing. Overnight it may get down to 27° around 5:00 AM. If it stays below freezing for four hours I am in big trouble. I am going to take a chance and not cover the plants and the trees are too tall to worry about. I might lose that avocado and my tangerine tree may be in trouble too .

I can relate. Almost

319902688_1218858835680948_984049156466503619_n.jpg

Sure wish he had been actively on TV all these years...

Just announced, Armed Forces Bowl is the coldest bowl game ever played. Wind chill -1°. I am sorry but that is not fun to me but the winning team will probably love it.
I hope there is no grab assing in the huddle to keep warm. They would have to change the command from "Alright, let's huddle up!" to "Alright, Let's cuddle up!".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT