ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

I drive a 2012 Mazda 3 that has a junk title due to the San Antonio hail storm. Has 80k on it. The annual on that car "usage tax" is around $75.00.... My daughter owns a 2019 Toyota Rav4... "ANNUAL" tax bill this past October... over $900.00..... I will not buy a car here. The wife's 2015 Camry is around $350.00 annually as a TAX..... Just criminal!

I watch the people around here driving the Mercedes, BMW's,... Geez what they pay is just scary...

My next door neighbor and his wife drives two late model Mercedes'....
We have a 2015 Mazda 3. Love the car.

I drive a 2012 Mazda 3 that has a junk title due to the San Antonio hail storm. Has 80k on it. The annual on that car "usage tax" is around $75.00.... My daughter owns a 2019 Toyota Rav4... "ANNUAL" tax bill this past October... over $900.00..... I will not buy a car here. The wife's 2015 Camry is around $350.00 annually as a TAX..... Just criminal!

I watch the people around here driving the Mercedes, BMW's,... Geez what they pay is just scary...

My next door neighbor and his wife drives two late model Mercedes'....
I have a 98 Ford Ranger with about 80,000 miles on it. I used it as a run around town for errands business vehicle. A tree fell on it and I had body work done with mismatched colors to keep costs down. It was used for hauling junk around anyhow. Now the transmission went out from the tree episode damage. I've been trying to decide if I should fix it or junk it.

I have a 98 Ford Ranger with about 80,000 miles on it. I used it as a run around town for errands business vehicle. A tree fell on it and I had body work done with mismatched colors to keep costs down. It was used for hauling junk around anyhow. Now the transmission went out from the tree episode damage. I've been trying to decide if I should fix it or junk it.
The car I sold today was a 1996 Saturn. It was a good car but it was time. I practically gave it away to my Step FIL's great grandson. He needed it for college. Studying to be a preacher at a school in Johnson City TN.

We have a 2015 Mazda 3. Love the car.

We bought my youngest daughter this car when we went to Korea. I bought it for her new. (Realizing the brutal conditions of Texas driving I wanted to give her the best chance of not having car issues while we were away. Of course in 2014 some time the hail storm hit SA and my daughter happened to be driving on the highway when it hit. (Golf ball sized hail and worse.) We were called it seems about 3AM Korea time with her screaming out of her mind. (Smashed her windshield, dented most everywhere, and cars around her were wrecking left and right but at least she didn't get into a wreck or hit.)

Anyway when we came back in January 2015 that became my hand-me-down car and we bought her another one. I always seem to get the hand me downs but oh well. Now I could buy a new one if there are any and if the taxes weren't so stupidly criminal.

The car doesn't look horrible, has real good rubber, the A/C works and it is clean. I'm good. I call it my commuter car and it is gold in these hills of Northern Virginia. I'd drive it to Texas tomorrow. (I have no desire to drive to California but the car would make that trip.)

HwfxB5uyp3ENY4MfUTWaxAa92yQZzaDGrPlqFXHJLG_pUbM2vFFth2wwQfpL8xMOq79UM6i_llY-fDjkSuQf-CmtbzipbBXuMuacMFzx3cgy8qie=s0-d-e1-ft

Good Wednesday Morning

56° , so this odd weather continues. Just brutal with cloudy skies. Not good. The high will be 69° and chances of rain 7%. There are better days in the future, I am confident of that. I hope you are warm wherever you may be.

Today is National Signing Day for football. The Cats may be bringing in some good ones so that is exciting.

Thanks again to @cordmaker for his very nice gift, he is a craftsman and takes pride in his work. I have my cardiac workout this morning and need to unload my pickup that is full of yard waste. It was raining yesterday so I stayed in the house. Take care all,

Christmas Time's A Comin'

320600980_1656000164888177_3642462671631434603_n.jpg

Good morning D-League.

All the talk above about the hunt for a good used car reminded me of when we car shopped for my son before he went off to Lexington four years ago.

We went to CarMax and got what seemed like an incredible deal on a 2013 Hyundai - about five years old at the time.

That Thanksgiving Eve our 18-year-old is making his first drive home alone, and I get a call around 6pm -he’s on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere in West Virginia with a seized engine.

It turns out that year’s model Hyundai had a flaw in manufacturing where metal shavings got into engine blocks. So much for our “good deal.”

Anyway, the whole family piles into our car and we haul ass nearly 200 miles to pick him up. I’d worked the internet and found a tow company —and a Hyundai dealership in Morgantown, about 40 miles away. We pick up the boy at a McDonalds there around midnight and get home around 3:30 am on Thanksgiving. One of our family T-Day tales we laugh about now.

The rest of the story: our timing was perfect. Hyundai had finally been pressured into accepting their responsibility. We got a brand new 2019 model engine, our towing paid for, and even reimbursed for our costs in picking up our son. Four years later he’s got a pretty good car with only about 40,000 miles on the engine.

Last edited:
We bought my youngest daughter this car when we went to Korea. I bought it for her new. (Realizing the brutal conditions of Texas driving I wanted to give her the best chance of not having car issues while we were away. Of course in 2014 some time the hail storm hit SA and my daughter happened to be driving on the highway when it hit. (Golf ball sized hail and worse.) We were called it seems about 3AM Korea time with her screaming out of her mind. (Smashed her windshield, dented most everywhere, and cars around her were wrecking left and right but at least she didn't get into a wreck or hit.)

Anyway when we came back in January 2015 that became my hand-me-down car and we bought her another one. I always seem to get the hand me downs but oh well. Now I could buy a new one if there are any and if the taxes weren't so stupidly criminal.

The car doesn't look horrible, has real good rubber, the A/C works and it is clean. I'm good. I call it my commuter car and it is gold in these hills of Northern Virginia. I'd drive it to Texas tomorrow. (I have no desire to drive to California but the car would make that trip.)
Had a hailstorm 2 or 3 years ago that had some large hail balls intermixed with some smaller ones that beat my F150 up a bit. Broke the drivers side mirror, busted some of the plastic grilling on the hood near the windshield, busted the running lights on the top rear of the cab, and dented the truck all around. Pictured below is one that hit in my back yard. For reference, my hands were big enough to palm a basketball years back.

IMG-20200422-143531087.jpg

Wow. Just saw that Franco Harris died.

The irony is that it’s two days short of the 50th Anniversary of the Immaculate Reception.

That may still be the most exciting moment I felt in a football game I was watching in my whole life.

Seems like yesterday. I was a high school junior. I had a bet with my high school basketball coach who was a big Raiders fan. The stakes seemed enormous and I’d given up —I lost. Then, Boom!

I’ll probably do Kamala in the Paddock thread but for here all I can say is RIP.

The irony is that it’s two days short of the 50th Anniversary of the Immaculate Reception.

That may still be the most exciting moment I felt in a football game I was watching in my whole life.

Seems like yesterday. I was a high school junior. I had a bet with my high school basketball coach who was a big Raiders fan. The stakes seemed enormous and I’d given up —I lost. Then, Boom!

I’ll probably do Kamala in the Paddock thread but for here all I can say is RIP.
He gave my Cowboys hell. Great football player.

My son's formative years were when the Steelers were the best. He is a Steelers fans to this day as are his kids. Those Bradshaw / Harris / Lynn Swann / Mean Joe Greene / Mel Blount (just to name a few) teams were some of the greatest in NFL history.

RIP Franco. RIP

My son's formative years were when the Steelers were the best. He is a Steelers fans to this day as are his kids. Those Bradshaw / Harris / Lynn Swann / Mean Joe Greene / Mel Blount (just to name a few) teams were some of the greatest in NFL history.

RIP Franco. RIP
Sawnee, as a lifelong Bengals fan I eventually became a Steelers hater.

But -- What only us older guys remember is before the 1970s the Steelers had been a perpetual bottom dweller and NFL joke.

So, when they started pulling it together in the early 1970s, I actually rooted for them the way a kid roots for the underdog. And that moment when Franco plucked the ricochet out of the air and rumbled into the endzone was the beginning of that 1970s run. Pure magic.

Sawnee, as a lifelong Bengals fan I eventually became a Steelers hater.

But -- What only us older guys remember is before the 1970s the Steelers had been a perpetual bottom dweller and NFL joke.

So, when they started pulling it together in the early 1970s, I actually rooted for them the way a kid roots for the underdog. And that moment when Franco plucked the ricochet out of the air and rumbled into the endzone was the beginning of that 1970s run. Pure magic.
I was never a Steelers fan, I admired them but my loyalty then was to the Miami Dolphins. They had Bob Griese and one of my favorite UK players, Larry Seiple. Going undefeated was a magical season for Floridians. They were our only pro team back then and it was a fun team to watch in those days.

Last edited:
I was never a Steelers fan, I admired them but my loyalty then was to the Miami Dolphins. They had Bob Griese and one of my favorite UK players, Larry Steele. Going undefeated was a magical season for Floridians. They were our only pro team back then and it was a fun team to watch in those days.
Bob Griese's aunt (Flo) worked for my office in Evansville. He came by one day. A good guy.

Edit: it is a cold clear 33°F here. Bracing for Thursday.

RIP Franco. RIP
Jack Lambert is looking at you for forgetting about him.

b17ae982228f7a4e6a31d37b534e451f.jpg

I have been absent for quite a while.........I wanted to stop in and tell all of you good folks Merry Christmas! I hope you and your families have a wonderful holiday season..........Other than the Director stuffing some money cards......we are pretty much sitting this one out......I have more to do than I have the time or will to do........ When I remember how to upload photos again I will show you folks the reason for my absence........I have went all in on the pigeon racing game.......

I have been absent for quite a while.........I wanted to stop in and tell all of you good folks Merry Christmas! I hope you and your families have a wonderful holiday season..........Other than the Director stuffing some money cards......we are pretty much sitting this one out......I have more to do than I have the time or will to do........ When I remember how to upload photos again I will show you folks the reason for my absence........I have went all in on the pigeon racing game.......
Please post. I'd really enjoy seeing those pics.

Merry Christmas awf.

Take care of those racers!

First half evaluation for me is Kentucky started getting open shots through hustle and taking it when open and opening a good lead. Then, lost the momentum going back to the dribble drive. Every team and coach out there know Cal loves the dribble drive and have for the past few years prepared their team for it. As soon as Cal goes back to it we seem to struggle. Yes, we have 10-point lead at the half, but it could be more. Free throw shooting still a problem though.

Just got back from helping my friend move most of his stuff from his old apartment to the new. Made it back for the start of the game.

Was it a really close friend? Usually has to be a close friend to help them move...I ain't picking up half a couch for someone I'm not good friends with.

Seinfeld clip on helping someone move haha...

I agree with Barkley after the St. Peters game, Cats play down to their competition. If you're up by 15 then push it to 20. If you're up by 20 push it to 25, etc.. Don't let your foot off the gas. I'm tired of these big leads getting dwindled down. Frustrating.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT