ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

My supper...

Pork, several types of cabbage, peppers, onions, in a soy bean paste... Just a pleasing meal...
319313617_809315880160210_1378943243637844077_n.jpg

Good morning from ATX. Currently 69°F and cloudy. Today's high may reach 74°F. Plenty light rain and sprinkles yesterday. Turning colder overnight.

Guess Longhorns suspended men's basketball coach indefinitely without pay. Stay tuned on that one.

Christmas party Thursday evening. Free beer. Of course, I'll attend.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

Cocoa-Day.png

I was nervous at first but the sawbones said we wouldn't have to put her down like Ruffian...

Thanks for the prayers and concern Sawnee. Apparently she's going to be able to work and get by with a soft boot on her ankle.

I hope this is a moment where she reconsiders all this running she does to stay capable of competing in marathons. She cracked a pelvis a few years back, which was no joke in terms of pain and mobility limiting. That DID require surgery. Then during the Philadelphia marathon a few years back she was tripped in the scrum of runners and fell on her face, getting a nasty black eye and badly bruised hands. She actually finished the whole race, which I know is more than I would have done since I can't run a marathon in the first place...
Good lord! I didn't get that beat up sparring over the years. She seems to be a tough lady you got there. Praying she gets well soon for I know as a person who also likes to keep doing what I like it is a bit depressing when I can't.

Saluting-Legionnaire.jpg

Morning Legionnaires!

60° this morning that will also be the high for today. Heavy rain started this morning at around 0300 and quit just a few minutes ago. Woke me and my wife up and we have been awake since. Funny thing though, when I first woke up and heard the rain being as heavy as it was, I immediately thought how good this will be for my fishing ponds (even though I won't go again until the weather warms up next spring). I said this out loud to my wife and she just shook her head and replied that I had a one-track mind. I guess she meant simple minded. I agree with that.

Not much going on today other than the norm. Workout, walk the monster (may be too wet, will see) and veg out. Those of you going to work or just out, be careful out there and God Bless.

Last edited:
I sure feel sad and upset over the Mike Leach news. I enjoyed his coaching and wish UK had hired him back when they gave the job to Joker Phillips. No telling where we would be today and I bet it would all be good.

61 years is very young and much too young to die. But it shows one never knows. In a second it could all end on this earth. So sad, may God be with his family in this time of sorrow and need.

I sure feel sad and upset over the Mike Leach news. I enjoyed his coaching and wish UK had hired him back when they gave the job to Joker Phillips. No telling where we would be today and I bet it would all be good.

61 years is very young and much too young to die. But it shows one never knows. In a second it could all end on this earth. So sad, may God be with his family in this time of sorrow and need.
I had just been talking to my wife the other day about this very thing. While I think working out (exercising) can and probably does help to extend life we also don't know internally what is going on unless we go to the doctors regularly. I have not gone much in the past but have started somewhat lately.

Good Tuesday Morning D

58° with mostly sunny skies as we climb to 76°. 4% chance of rain. I am putting the finishing touch on our Christmas meal. We may drift from the traditional ham and turkey and serve a nice prime rib roast. A Pee-can Meal -Rubbed Standing Rib Roast with Oven-Roasted Mushroom Farro Risotto will be a nice and festive meal with all of the trimmings. Easy and just plain good. Sweet potatoes are always a staple for holiday meals too.

I trust all are well and ready for Christmas or close to it. We have been watching a Christmas movie every evening which is what we do during the season. I still love the classics the best. We all know what those are.

Take care and thank God you woke up this morning and are surrounded by people who love you.

oWzCAS09VnzWg8X7Hz_rM2AZ9KKH7QMLl35tsROgWyodu0UA1mUoN7cWjH-U9Wp4qoVvZLWTB3qbvk4R7HGwQfL-Ikn6ARJst4S_c62LS9O1m7jk2M0MstimKS0_NpsymwynBRA=s0-d-e1-ft

Last edited:
Good morning folks. Cold and clear in the east.

Sorry to hear about Coach Leach. He seemed like a unique person and a hell of a coach. Prayers for his family.

So my wife is in a knee-high contraption and on crutches from her broken ankle. Bad timing. We’ll just have to hobble along and help each other. I’m at D-minus 27 hours until my hip replacement surgery at 1030am tomorrow.

Last day of work from DC for a little while. I’m try to get up and running working from home as soon as I can.

Hope it’s a good day for all.

Sorry to hear about Coach Leach. He seemed like a unique person and a hell of a coach. Prayers for his family.

So my wife is in a knee-high contraption and on crutches from her broken ankle. Bad timing. We’ll just have to hobble along and help each other. I’m at D-minus 27 hours until my hip replacement surgery at 1030am tomorrow.

Last day of work from DC for a little while. I’m try to get up and running working from home as soon as I can.

Seriously, good luck tomorrow. Wishing y'all the best.

Seriously, good luck tomorrow. Wishing y'all the best.
Thanks Austin, and everyone for good wishes. At this point I just want to get it done and be focused on getting through the rehab period as swiftly and cleanly as possible. Better days ahead. I'm sick of the limping and the constant discomfort.

Last edited:

Good luck. It'll be well worth it. You'll be back to running in no time.

We will certainly keep you and the Mrs in prayer for a complete recovery. I know your lifestyle will improve once this is in the rear view mirror. I pray you have a good result in your surgery and pray God will be with the surgeon.

Let the process begin. 💟

Good luck with your surgery 55, I hope yours goes as good as mine did, I've had both mine replaced. I didn't have any therapy other then what I did at home, walking through the house.

I had just been talking to my wife the other day about this very thing. While I think working out (exercising) can and probably does help to extend life we also don't know internally what is going on unless we go to the doctors regularly. I have not gone much in the past but have started somewhat lately.
Going to doctors and heart attacks:

When I worked for CSX, being an official, I was required to have a full exam annually. I always got good marks. After I retired I continued to have physical exams roughly every year. Every time I got good marks.

When I turned 64 in 2010 my doc wanted me to do a stress test for the cardiovascular system. That was in late June and every thing was good. On August 9, 2010 (less than two months later) I had a heart attack and on Friday August 13, I had open heart surgery to do a triple bypass.

So doctor exams will not spot some problems, short of doing something invasive like a heart catheter procedure. I don't believe that my veins clogged in less than two months.

And while I am bitching let me get into the cholesterol: When I got to the emergency room, straight out of the ambulance, they tested my cholesterol. It was 119 and good cholesterol numbers are anything below 200. Plus my "good" cholesterol was good.

So most of the stuff that I was told about heart disease proved not to be applicable to me. My heart surgeon told me after the fact that he does not see a direct correlation between veins clogging and your cholesterol numbers. In fact he told me after my surgery not to change my diet, but to make sure I get a lot of protein. I said you mean steaks? He said that I could eat all the steaks that I wanted. I asked about salt and he said that I should not worry about salt. He then tells me if your body wants to plate your veins with plaque it will with no regard to your cholesterol numbers, good or bad.

Good Tuesday Morning D

58° with mostly sunny skies as we climb to 76°. 4% chance of rain. I am putting the finishing touch on our Christmas meal. We may drift from the traditional ham and turkey and serve a nice prime rib roast. A Pee-can Meal -Rubbed Standing Rib Roast with Oven-Roasted Mushroom Farro Risotto will be a nice and festive meal with all of the trimmings. Easy and just plain good. Sweet potatoes are always a staple for holiday meals too.

I trust all are well and ready for Christmas or close to it. We have been watching a Christmas movie every evening which is what we do during the season. I still love the classics the best. We all know what those are.

Take care and thank God you woke up this morning and are surrounded by people who love you.

oWzCAS09VnzWg8X7Hz_rM2AZ9KKH7QMLl35tsROgWyodu0UA1mUoN7cWjH-U9Wp4qoVvZLWTB3qbvk4R7HGwQfL-Ikn6ARJst4S_c62LS9O1m7jk2M0MstimKS0_NpsymwynBRA=s0-d-e1-ft

giphy.gif

omg-excited.gif

God Bless you and your family brother MdW..... I'd help if I could but I know you have family. I probably only live 20 miles or so from you.

God Bless you and your family brother MdW..... I'd help if I could but I know you have family. I probably only live 20 miles or so from you.
I appreciate that BBUK -- and thanks to several who have wished me well. We got it covered. I'm looking forward to getting past this and starting the PT, to get back to where I can do a lot more comfortably.

If I could tell you how good God works. (I had no doubts as I have seen it so many times in my life.) I made a statement yesterday about having to make some hard decisions and a serious row to hoe. Today I had to make the decision(s). All opened up to a workable solution...

Doing some last minute Christmas wishing.

319625626_181989237749828_8802821088020128400_n.jpg
Upper left -- Ithaca Model 37 12 gauge pump -- got one for Christmas the year I was 14, which would have been 1969 - a little later than this.

God, i loved that gun, and still have it in nearly mint condition. My dad bought it for me because I was a left-handed shooter and unlike other pump shotguns it ejected the spent shell out the bottom instead of out the right side - back into the face of a lefty.

I was determined to hit a quail with my first shot with that gun. We were without a dog that December for some reason and the first covey we jumped I didn't get a shot. We were walking down singles over top of a little ridge when I kicked up a quail who broke down the hill hugging the ground then cut sharp to the right. I couldn't stop myself from taking an almost impossible shot but I thought I saw the bird tumble -- it was snowing and hard to see any damn thing.

My dad and I walked down to the bottom of the hill - there was a very narrow stream there I recall - and looked for the bird, but after a few minutes he said, "You sure you hit that one? Let's try to find the others..." Just as we were giving up, I saw him burrowed into the leaves -- a male bobwhite, black head streaked with white. I'd hit him after all. Damn, what a great day.

Sorry to go on about a single shot from a hunt 50-plus years ago, but I suspect some of you know what I was feeling, either from a hunt or fishing trip...

Last edited:
Upper left -- Ithaca Model 37 12 gauge pump -- got one for Christmas the year I was 14, which would have been 1969 - a little later than this.

God, i loved that gun, and still have it in nearly mint condition. My dad bought it for me because I was a left-handed shooter and unlike other pump shotguns it ejected the spent shell out the bottom instead of out the right side - back into the face of a lefty.

I was determined to hit a quail with my first shot with that gun. We were without a dog that December for some reason and the first covey we jumped I didn't get a shot. We were walking down singles over top of a little ridge when I kicked up a quail who broke down the hill hugging the ground then cut sharp to the right. I couldn't stop myself from taking an almost impossible shot but I thought I saw the bird tumble -- it was snowing and hard to see any damn thing.

My dad and I walked down to the bottom of the hill - there was a very narrow stream there I recall - and looked for the bird, but after a few minutes he said, "You sure you hit that one? Let's try to find the others..." Just as we were giving up, I saw him burrowed into the leaves -- a male bobwhite, black head streaked with white. I'd hit him after all. Damn, what a great day.

Sorry to go on about a single shot from a hunt 50-plus years ago, but I suspect some of you know what I was feeling, either from a hunt or fishing trip...

You "loved" it? What caused the fall out with it? 😁

One of my many first cousins of which I think I am the next to last youngest..... Passed away in Michigan a few days ago... (I never spent much time with them though I do remember my Dad and Mom taking me to visit them a few times.) I remember her Mom Gracie, she was a real nice lady I enjoyed being around. I am sure they messed up a couple names and relationships as I remember them.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 60°F and raining. Cold front moving in. Looking at 30s tomorrow through Saturday. Today's high expected around 66°F.

Wishing @MdWIldcat55 very best today. Hoping for a successful outcome.

It appears my fan club has returned. Ha ha, they are dedicated.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

bouillabaisse.jpg

Don't apologize for as I was reading, I was envisioning the picture and remembering times I used to go rabbit, squirrel, quail, and other huntable creatures and was enjoying the throwback.

I know you will probably see this after the operation but in any case, may God guide the hands of your doctor for a safe and successful operation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT