ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Good Thursday Morning

59° outside with a little fog on the lake that should burn off pretty fast. The sun is coming up. The high will hit 80° with sunny skies all day long and a 2% chance of rain.

Headed outside to work in the yard today. My wife bought three Dwarf Alberta Spruce trees and wants me do something with them, probably plant them on the North side of the house. Other than that it should be a normal day.

Trust all is well and this finds all the D in good spirits and health.

95783b3a39ea95c1dfd213f7d189ce36.jpg

Good morning D-League.

Another odd work commute last night.

I'm standing on the subway platform about 6:30 pm when a stern voice comes over the loudspeaker and says, "Metro has been SUSPENDED due to police activity!" This is unusual. Even when a suicide jumps in front of a train they just announce a DELAY until they can route around it. About half the people immediately leave, but I really have no options so I stick around. About ten minutes later one train comes by -- the last one of the evening I later find out - and I get on and make my way home.

This morning I find out an off-duty FBI agent and some other guy get into a brawl at the next station up the line from me. They pull each other off the platform down into the track well, and the agent pulls his gun and shoots the other guy dead. This with dozens of people standing around. No more details at this time.

It turns out they shut down the service, but the train I got on had to clear out in that direction so I was able to board and ride right past the shooting scene before it was closed off for the evidence techs. So I was damn lucky.

Hope everyone's luck holds today.

Last edited:
Good morning D-League.

I'm standing on the subway platform about 6:30 pm when a stern voice comes over the loudspeaker and says, "Metro has been SUSPENDED due to police activity!" This is unusual. Even when a suicide jumps in front of a train they just announce a DELAY until they can route around it. About half the people immediately leave, but I really have no options so I stick around. About ten minutes later one train comes by -- the last one of the evening I later find out - and I get on and make my way home.

This morning I find out an off-duty FBI agent and some other guy get into a brawl at the next station up the line from me. They pull each other off the platform down into the track well, and the agent pulls his gun and shoots the other guy dead. This with dozens of people standing around. No more details at this time.

It turns out they shut down the service, but the train I got on had to clear out in that direction so I was able to board and ride right past the shooting scene before it was closed off for the evidence techs. So I was damn lucky.

Wow. Glad you're okay. Could have been much worse.

Breakfast has always been the "focus" meal of the day for me. We never went to school hungry because mama said our brain cells would not work without nourishment. She insisted you eat before you left the house. And we all ate at the same time. And at the table.
Growing up all of our meals were at the table. Breakfast was huge. Dinner was big and Supper was left over Dinner unless we were having company.

Mom made biscuits ever morning. Dad always made the gravy and cook the meat. I would eat 4 or 5 eggs, some meat (sausage, bacon or country ham) and gravy and about 8 biscuits. My favored gravy was and still is sausage gravy. I can make a meal out of biscuits, sausage gravy with chunks of sausage in it. Back in those days I could eat massive meals and lose weight. I weighed in at 135 when I graduated high school.

Growing up all of our meals were at the table. Breakfast was huge. Dinner was big and Supper was left over Dinner unless we were having company.

Mom made biscuits ever morning. Dad always made the gravy and cook the meat. I would eat 4 or 5 eggs, some meat (sausage, bacon or country ham) and gravy and about 8 biscuits. My favored gravy was and still is sausage gravy. I can make a meal out of biscuits, sausage gravy with chunks of sausage in it. Back in those days I could eat massive meals and lose weight. I weighed in at 135 when I graduated high school.
Same here Bert, We always ate big and I was rail thin growing up. Dad had several rules at the table.

1. No TV during a meal. I was 14 when we got our first so that was an easy rule to follow
2. Everyone was seated at the table before we started eating.
3. Dad would say the blessing over the food.

4. Dad sat at the head of the table and was served first and the first thing served was always the meat dish. He would then pass the dish or bowl to his left and it came around the table and was put in the same spot it started.
5. Children did not talk unless spoken to. Most supper meals each of us children would be called on to talk about the day before in school. What we were studying and what could we do as a family to improve one another.
6. If you took food on your plate you ate it. All of it.
7. No one left the table until they were excused. Only mother or dad could excuse us.
8. After the meal dad would check our homework assignments and if they were not completed we would go to our room and complete them. If OK'd it we could go outside and play till dark.

That was pretty much the life of a school kid in the 1950's.

Good morning D-League.

Wow, just wow. You would be safer on the streets of Dodge City in the 1880's than up there. Crazy times.

Good morning D-League.

Crazy stuff. MdW, which station did this take place at?

I remember when I could eat like that and not gain a pound. Now I would weigh 500 lbs if I ate like that...heck, I would probably be dead already. :D

Same here Bert, We always ate big and I was rail thin growing up. Dad had several rules at the table.

1. No TV during a meal. I was 14 when we got our first so that was an easy rule to follow
2. Everyone was seated at the table before we started eating.
3. Dad would say the blessing over the food.

4. Dad sat at the head of the table and was served first and the first thing served was always the meat dish. He would then pass the dish or bowl to his left and it came around the table and was put in the same spot it started.
5. Children did not talk unless spoken to. Most supper meals each of us children would be called on to talk about the day before in school. What we were studying and what could we do as a family to improve one another.
6. If you took food on your plate you ate it. All of it.
7. No one left the table until they were excused. Only mother or dad could excuse us.
8. After the meal dad would check our homework assignments and if they were not completed we would go to our room and complete them. If OK'd it we could go outside and play till dark.

That was pretty much the life of a school kid in the 1950's.
A lot of our rules were the same, except school work. My folks grew up in the depression and were the oldest kid. Dad had to quit school in the third grade to work the farm and mom the sixth grade, so they couldn't help me with lessons. I'd play baseball till dark and if there was no game, I'd throw golf balls at a rock wall to practice infield. They had to literally make me come in to eat. Baseball was all I cared about. They had to make me go to school. Both worked and left early so I had to catch the bus myself. Once I decided to stay home. For 2 weeks I stayed home and threw the golf balls most of the day. Finally the school contacted them. The school was mad, but it wasn't that big a deal to my folks.

A lot of our rules were the same, except school work. My folks grew up in the depression and were the oldest kid. Dad had to quit school in the third grade to work the farm and mom the sixth grade, so they couldn't help me with lessons. I'd play baseball till dark and if there was no game, I'd throw golf balls at a rock wall to practice infield. They had to literally make me come in to eat. Baseball was all I cared about. They had to make me go to school. Both worked and left early so I had to catch the bus myself. Once I decided to stay home. For 2 weeks I stayed home and threw the golf balls most of the day. Finally the school contacted them. The school was mad, but it wasn't that big a deal to my folks.
I sure can relate to your love of baseball as a boy. I was right there with you and lived and breathed it 24 hours a day. I slept with a glove under my head.

But education was really stressed in my house. My daddy was the son of a coal miner and worked in the mines after high school. He had been the first in his family to ever graduate from high school but the only work in Pike County was the mines. So off to the mines he went. A rock fall from a roof cave in trapped him and killed his buddy. He was given up for dead and his mother was called to the mouth of the mine and rescue workers tried to reach him. When he got out alive he quit his job and went off to college where he worked his way through school and became the first in his family to graduate from college.

Mom was also very into education and both her and dad helped us and encourage us to be good students. I could never achieve what my kids and grandkids have in academics but I was a good student with good grades and able to make it on my own once I shut the door on mom and dad's house forever.

None of my family ever was on welfare or ask the government for anything. We were all taught to be independent and to rely on the family to help in time of need and stay strong. Being a God centered family sure helped too.

Last edited:
@cordmaker

You military men, especially the ones who were in Gerrmany may be able to help me with this. Our granddaughter received her German Proficiency Medal that was presented in a special ceremony at the USAF Academy. It was presented by a German officer who is pictured below. I have no idea what rank, etc he is or how to read his insignia, etc. I am not familiar with German military rank.

The Gold Medal is worn under your name tag on the right pocket and it looks like the Germans wear it on the left under their name tag.

317997488_5764273676958994_2969911457706367945_n.jpg

319163455_5764275916958770_7561656028739314541_n.jpg

Good morning from ATX. Currently 70°F and partly cloudy. Today's high expected around 80°F.

Worked most of yesterday with MSFT on access issues. Working with those guys and gals again today.

Today is Thursday. Heading into the office, so keeping it short.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

Brownie-Day.jpg

They have a brownie brittle I liked. Had to cut that off cold turkey. I ate it until it was finished. Got to know my limitations BUT, after a bunch of trial testing of my self-control over a period of many months .....😁

I sure can relate to your love of baseball as a boy. I was right there with you and lived and breathed it 24 hours a day. I slept with a glove under my head.

But education was really stressed in my house. My daddy was the son of a coal miner and worked in the mines after high school. He had been the first in his family to ever graduate from high school but the only work in Pike County was the mines. So off to the mines he went. A rock fall from a roof cave in trapped him and killed his buddy. He was given up for dead and his mother was called to the mouth of the mine and rescue workers tried to reach him. When he got out alive he quit his job and went off to college where he worked his way through school and became the first in his family to graduate from college.

Mom was also very into education and both her and dad helped us and encourage us to be good students. I could never achieve what my kids and grandkids have in academics but I was a good student with good grades and able to make it on my own once I shut the door on mom and dad's house forever.

None of my family ever was on welfare or ask the government for anything. We were all taught to be independent and to rely on the family to help in time of need and stay strong. Being a God centered family sure helped too.

Sir, I did not know most of my uncle's. I had six and an aunt, but I did know the children....32 including myself.

Though my older brother retired a corporate jet pilot after 33 years and I consider him with no reservations THEE success of our clan, I am the first college and beyond graduate. I never even considered that when I started at 40. I did it as an example to my children. Later on my brother told me and I was shocked.

My Dad had a sixth grade education and my Mom the eigth grade...

I truly wonder how that happened. God in deed provides.... I am thankful...

Metro Center - the heart of the city, closest to the FBI HQ, the White House and much more. It is the station I used for years. I'm now one down at Gallery Place.
That's the stop I would tell those that came to visit to get off. We lived in Frederick (New Market), MD so they took the Red Line from Shady Grove...

@cordmaker

You military men, especially the ones who were in Gerrmany may be able to help me with this. Our granddaughter received her German Proficiency Medal that was presented in a special ceremony at the USAF Academy. It was presented by a German officer who is pictured below. I have no idea what rank, etc he is or how to read his insignia, etc. I am not familiar with German military rank.

The Gold Medal is worn under your name tag on the right pocket and it looks like the Germans wear it on the left under their name tag.

Duetschland is where his heart should be.

@cordmaker

Congratulations to your grand daughter!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT